Chapter 19: The Final Goodbye (2)
6 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“The eyes are truly the window to the soul, and all the knowledge held within. I can easily read the questions going through your mind. How does this person know who I am? Why did he knock Ana out, while he claimed to be a friend of her parents? Why are all these people suddenly gathering here.”

Ludwig chuckled at her startled expression.

“Well, it’s only natural you would ask those. Anyone would in your position, I suppose. You’ve arrived in a strange city where your only goal is to help a little girl, yet all you’ve encountered was one obstacle after another. You get mixed up in things you don’t know anything about, which results in the failure of your self-assigned duties or promises. How does my inference sound so far?

“…How do you-“

“Know? Well, they say information in this city spreads faster than a wildfire. You can assume there’s always someone willing to talk, anywhere, anytime. If you want to keep any information to yourself, it’s better to seal your lips, even to your closest allies.”

To strengthen his words, he gave a few examples of poor souls that had underestimated the power of rumors and whispers. None of them had a happy ending. If anything, it had completely worsened Rose’s mood.

“Now then, we didn’t keep you here to have a fireside talk.”, Ludwig said as if they were having a nice, friendly dialogue about the issues in the world. “We need you to do something for us.”

He signaled someone nearby and carried the unconscious Ana over, into his arms. The man distanced himself from Ludwig and Rose, bringing Ana even further out of her range.

“Ana!”

Rose instinctively reached out to her, but Ludwig blocked her path.

“If I were you, I wouldn’t get any closer. I told this man he could kill the girl if you were to take any unnecessary actions… if you understand what I mean.”

Even if Rose were not able to read between his lines, his tone was threatening enough to make her aware of her predicament. She could not believe that a man she had somehow deemed trustworthy earlier, was now threatening a little girl.

“You… Would kill an innocent girl?”

She gazed at Ludwig with disgust.

“Innocent? Well… I guess you could call her that. But to many here, she’s more than guilty.”

“Guilty? Of what? What did Ana ever do to anyone here?”

“Leaving this district.”

“What?“

Rose couldn’t believe her ears. Ana’s guilty because she left this district…? The man responded with silence, basically confirming her fears.

“You can’t be serious…”

“Oh, I’m more than serious. Imagine you are living in this place. For years, you and your little family have scraped to stay alive, barely surviving every single day. You’ve worked yourself down to the bones and have given everything, just for that tiny hope of leaving this damned place. Then, before your eyes, a girl suddenly passes through the gates. The daughter of a traitor, being guided towards freedom by the hand of the hero of this district. What do you think went through their heads at that time?”

Did he just call Ana’s parents traitors? That was in direct conflict of what she’s heard of them from Lance. Moreover, he hated Ana because she left this hell, in search for a better life? The man in front of her seemed completely delusional, but Rose feared he was not lying when he said he was not the only one that felt this way…

“So… In fact, I’d even say I’m keeping her alive. Many here would want to see her head on a stick, because they believe she’s the one took away their dreams.”

He was trying to smooth talk his actions now? Rose’s stomach started turning, from pure disgust. The man continued convincedly, as if everything he said was completely normal and rationalized.

“Mentally surviving this place isn’t hard, honestly. Just gotta give all your negative emotions a clear target, and the world will turn a lot faster. Some chose the world beyond this wall that has forsaken them, some chose friends and family close to them, and some chose Ana.”

“But that’s unfair! Why would anyone have the right to take Ana as some kind of scapegoat for their own problems? She has nothing to do with any of this! That’s completely messed up!”

“The world isn’t fair and righteous. Because if it were, we wouldn’t be standing here like this. I’d even say none of these walls that are locking us away from the outside, would be standing here if it were…”

He looked at the huge outer wall looming over the district. It had completely turned dark, just like the city below. In this darkness, those stones really looked more like a cage than a protection.

 “Sometimes, we just need to blame something for our misery. It doesn’t have to be logical to you or anyone else, as long as it makes sense to ourselves. By clinging to that rope, we can hold ourselves together and stand, even in the toughest environments…

 

…And sometimes, sacrifices have to be made for a better tomorrow. If one scapegoat, or one sacrifice is the only door to the happiness of all these people, I’ll gladly pay that price.”

Rose tried to refute that nonsensical argument, but he didn’t listen anymore. Those last words didn’t seem to be aimed at Rose. His eyes looked deep into the night, as if he was trying to find stars, no matter how little they were.

But it was a starless night. Only a gloomy moon was watching over them, like a bored human inspecting a line of ants. If one of the ants would look up, it would see the same scene. It was nothing more than a reminder that fate, no matter how cruel or undeserved, was always watching you.

“Ana’s parents were truly good-natured. A trait that’s rare to find, both inside and outside these walls. They would help as long as it was within their abilities, no matter what we asked of them. Her father was a true friend to a lot of us. That’s why it hurt even more when we realized how deeply our trust had been betrayed. If only I could turn back time, I could’ve-”

“Ludwig? Shouldn’t we fire the signal…?”

Someone had approached him while he was dabbling in memories of the past, and impatiently interrupted his monologue. Ludwig got staggered for a few seconds, after which he immediately regained his confidence.

“Ah yes, of course! I was doing some preparations, but it seems I have lost the sense of time a bit. No worry, we’re ready to fire it anytime, so there’s nothing to worry about! Ahahaha!”

He was completely trying to talk his way out of it…

“Okay, now then, where were we… Oh yes, if I’m not mistaken, you should have some explosiveness in those hands of yours…?”

“…You mean fire prana?”

“Whatever fits your boat. I was told you could blow stuff up, so I’m gonna assume it’s quite powerful?”

“I… don’t know?”

“You don’t know, huh… I guess I’ll take that as a yes. Either way, you’re our only option since nobody else here is able to control that magical stuff decently, so you’ll have to do. Better pray on your and that little girl’s life that you’re strong enough.”

A shallow threat to remind Rose that she had to keep following his orders. He completely got her in a bind…

“What do you want me to do?” Rose answered obediently.

“I want you to blow something up.”

He pointed his finger at something behind him. Rose quickly realized what he was pointing at, and again, a mix of disgust and anger welled up inside of her.

“You don’t mean… No, I won’t do it! No way! I can’t do this to her, not after she finally came to terms with them! No, no!”

Rose backed away from the man, unable to accept what he just asked of her.

Ludwig sighed and made a gesture to the man holding Ana. In response, the man pressed a knife against her neck. A couple of red drops slowly fell down onto the ground. Rose instantly froze.

“Ana! You-!”

“Your stubbornness is why Ana’s in this state right now. I believe I have warned you before, Rose. I won’t warn you again. Blow it up, or else she will join her parents very soon.”

“I…”

This man wanted her to trample over the only memory Ana had, the only holdfast she could still cling to if she were to have a tough time. And this after she had just reconciled with them…

The fire burned in her right hand. Anger, disappointment, sadness. The negative emotions fueled the flame, turning it into one whirling inferno. The people around her distanced themselves, afraid from the sudden explosion of violent heat. Ludwig quickly crouched and grabbed something on the ground, after which he dashed to the side. He screamed something about a warning, but Rose did not listen. All that was going through her head right now, were regrets and self-deprecation.

“I’m sorry, Ana!”

She swung her fist forward, and stopped a fraction away from the small gravestone that carried the names of Ana’s dear family. The flames touched the dark stones, an embrace so powerful that it blew away the whole space around it. The fancy bouquet and the ground beneath it instantly turned into ashes, the air exploded into a fiery maelstrom of flames.

Rose turned away her head from the area, unable to forgive herself for this wicked act. She was sure Ana would never forgive her for this either. The girl had just decided she could trust Rose and had completely opened up herself, but Rose had betrayed that trust in a matter of minutes. Not only had she failed to protect Ana, she’d even failed to protect the only memory that she had left. She deserved to be punished, blamed, spited. After all, this was all her fault. If only she had been more careful, more alert, none of this would’ve happened…

“What’s that?”

A voice not far from her shouted in disbelief. The woman was pointing at the place Rose had just blown up. Instinctively Rose turned her head, and immediately saw the source of confusion.

The grave…

It had survived the blast.

Everything around had been violently scorched and burned, but the small stone was still standing straight. Moreover, it was emitting a crimson glow, as if it had become one with the flames.

“You might want to take a step back.”

Rose could not believe her eyes. Even though she had concentrated her power on a small area to not hit the bystanders, she had not held back in the slightest. This grave should’ve been crumbled, shattered and dusted. Yet, it was mockingly standing there, not having the slightest care in the world.

“Rose, step back!”

Rose did not hear the words, nor did she see the crowd around her quickly moving even further away. Upon the sight of the lone gravestone, she felt strangely happy. A miracle had somehow kept her from destroying Ana’s fragile past…

But that happiness didn’t last for long.

“ROSE!”

Ludwig stormed at her and grabbed her firmly. He then pulled her to the side, ignoring Rose’s desperate struggles. A moment later, the gravestone turned bright red and exploded, firing a huge beam into the air. The area around got scorched for a second time, but this time the radius was a rough ten meters, way bigger than Rose’s controlled blast. If not for Ludwig’s intervention, she would’ve met the same fate as the unlucky stones caught in its path.

The beam lighted up the whole sky. The city bathed in a bright, warm glow of heat particles. For only a moment, the sky-high walls didn’t look intimidating, but protective. For only a moment, all misery and inequality seemed to have made place for care and compassion. For only a moment, it felt like the city had become the safe haven it was built to be. Everyone was staring at the spectacle in silence, experiencing the unexpected event. For only a moment, truly everyone in this city was equal.

“Ugh!”

Ludwig fell onto his knees. One of his arms was heavily burnt by the blast. Some rocks crumbled down from the area, which were the remains of a failed attempt to protect himself.

“Hey, hey!”

Rose instinctively supported his lump body, softly sat him down and started treating him, despite his earlier threats. Rose cooled down the wound with her left hand, ripped some of her own cloth and wrapped his arm in it. It was not enough to cover the entire wound, but it was enough to protect the worst burns.

Only after her body was done, her mind caught up. Rose then realized he had protected her from her doom, in exchange for his own safety. It had been completely in contrast with his earlier actions, in which he had even threatened to kill Ana if she refused to comply. So then…

“Why…?”

“Didn’t I tell you? I’d gladly offer one life if it means our freedom…”

He answered weakly, with a satisfied smile on his face.

“Ludwig!”

Others gathered around them, after which Rose got forcefully shoved away. Not much later, every single part of Ludwig’s body was covered with teared cloth, even the parts that weren’t burned. Despite the pain he must’ve been feeling, Ludwig roared with laughter. Soon, the joyous feeling spread and the moods of everyone around cleared up.

TREMBLE

Without a warning, the whole world around her started trembling. It almost felt like an earthquake, yet something was different. It was as if the quakes were not only vibrating the earth, but also the entire space around them. A feeling of nausea and dizziness welled up inside of Rose. It suddenly got harder to breathe, as if the air was being sucked away from her. It was as if the world was completely turning upside down. Rose barely kept herself standing on her feet.

She started moving towards Ana, in fear of her safety. If anything happened to her now, Rose would lose completely lose herself…

TREMBLE

She did not know how long it took, but it felt like hours. Every step she took towards Ana was heavier than the previous one. Every laugh and every scream drilled her eardrums, as if a needle was being pricked through her brain. Every breath she took was filled with an indescribable taste, a filth that she couldn’t even compare with the worst-tasting dish.

TREMBLE

Nobody tried to stop her. Everyone, for some reason, was busy celebrating, unaffected by the shaking. Their reaction was a madness comparable with when she entered the city, but with complete opposite emotions. It almost felt like a cult worshipping the coming of their demonic overlord…

TREMBLE

She reached out. Her fingertips touched Ana’s, and Ana’s touched hers. The man who had held her, let her go and joined the celebrating crowd. With the last of her strength, she caught the unconscious girl and held her in her arms. Finally, she could protect her again…

A deafening silence, followed by an unmistakable rumble.

CRACK

The wall, which had stood there undefeated for centuries without a letting a single enemy pass…

CRACK

Which had been praised everywhere in the world as the ultimate defense...

Which had been taken for granted by the well-off, and had been accepted as an inescapable barrier by the weak…

Which had been built, brick by brick, stone by stone by many generations and had endured the almost impossible test of time…

BOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Its past and its future. Its protection and its imprisonment. The sole rift between the people of Vinclum and the world outside.

Everything it stood for.

On that evening, it all came crumbling down.

1