1: Party-pooper
686 0 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“For the last time Samantha, I’m not going out...” I said for the fiftieth thousand time today.

“Why the fuck not dude?” Jack piped in suddenly.

“Come on Alan. You never do anything anyway! All you do is sit there all day either gaming or watching TV. You rarely ever get up to get food and if you do it’s just junk food...” Samantha cried at me with frustration. Jesus... I just wanted to be left alone is that too much to ask?

“Not to mention you haven’t been out since like... Gods! I can’t actually remember the last time you left the apartment!” Jack smacked his forehead out of disbelief.

“What I like the apartment! Plus you guys know that I don’t need to leave unless I need to go to college... I work from home, and I can chill and relax all day long! What’s not to like?” I asked. Frankly I’m starting to get annoyed by the same old conversation. These guys were meant to be my friends! Not my parents...

“What’s not to like? Well first off you stink... so take a god damn shower. Second, you are lucky that you have such a good metabolism, cus all that junk food is not healthy. And third. You need to get outside more. You look like a fuckin vampire... and not in a good way.” Good way? What? “Oh and for the record before you use it as a shitty excuse, College. Is. Not. Getting. Out!” Samantha punctuated that last part for dramatic effect... like always. Ugh...

...

...

...they just stared at me...

...

...

...oh for fucks sake...

“Fine!” I relented. By the gods they could be stubborn sometimes... always nagging at me. Gosh they were worse than my parents when it came to nagging... but maybe if I go out with them this one time it might finally get them to shut up for once...

“Huh?” They both said at the same time.

“I said fine. I will go out with you guys... but I swear to everything that’s holy if I get vomited on like that Halloween party a few years ago I will never talk to you guys again...” I said with finality. God that was a shit show. And one of the most disgusting things that ever happened to me. Some guy convinced Jack to chug this giant thing of beer and next thing you know he was throwing up. On me...

“Yes you won’t regret it I promise!” Samantha said jumping up and down with joy.

“I already do...” I muttered as I watched her jumping up and down continually.

“Great! I will go and finish getting ready! And uh Alan? You might want to get into the shower... like now...” Jack said as he quickly walked away.

...Really? I don’t smell that bad do I? I sniffed myself. And immediately wished I hadn’t... okay. Never mind. I reek. Coughing slightly I get up out of my very comfortable couch and briskly walk over to my room to grab my towel and head towards my shower.

I quickly hopped in and washed my body. Trying to concentrate on not looking at myself and making sure I cleaned everything was a slightly annoying task but it was better than looking at my gangly unattractive body. Ugh. Maybe if I worked out it would look better? Maybe? I don’t know but I definitely needed to do something cus my body sucks...

After I had finished washing my uh. Stuff... I hopped out of my shower and started to dry myself off. Suddenly there was a knock on my bathroom door and Samantha’s voice came through.

“Hey Alan! I took the liberty of putting out a nice outfit for you okay?” ...great. Hopefully it was something I actually liked to wear and not a weird outfit that makes me look ‘good’.

“Okay... uh, thanks Samantha!” I replied, a bit of unsureness sounding in my voice.

A few minutes later and I was in my bedroom wearing only my underwear and staring at the monstrosity that Samantha laid out for me... okay maybe I was over exaggerating. It was a nice and smart outfit but it was something that I didn’t really feel comfortable with. It was a nice collared white button up shirt, with a navy sweater over the top and a pair of black skinny jeans.

Sighing I picked up the jeans and put them on. They were a little snug but they were really the only part of the outfit that I liked. So instead I opted for a t-shirt and a white hoodie. After I finished getting dressed I brushed my ever shaggy hair a bit so it looked a bit better and stepped out to face the music that were my friends.

Jack who was now chilling on the couch picking at his fingernails looked up at me and just shrugged. Samantha on the other hand stopped doing her makeup and looked at me. Her face briefly scrunched up into a pout before grunting and turned back to doing her face with a roll of the eyes.

Surprisingly neither of them really said anything. Which was a first. Usually they would kind of have a go at me for not taking better care of myself. And for only wearing hoodies on the rare occasion that I would go out. But this time? Nada. Maybe they were just content that I was coming with them for once and didn’t want to poke the bear any further? Anyway...

We soon left the apartment and made our way to the road where a taxi was waiting. After we clambered in we were on our way. 20 minutes later we were standing outside of a night club on the corner of a street. Music booming out of the building, thumping like an erratic heartbeat. Soon I was literally dragged into the almost deafening music filled club. There were people everywhere! I’m surprised that there wasn’t someone being trampled by the enormous crowd that was here tonight.

“Wow it’s packed tonight!” Samantha shouted at us.

“Damn! I’ve never seen it this busy before!” Jack laughed.

I just stared at the two of them while they looked around in awe. Suddenly I felt my hand being tugged by Samantha who was now dragging me towards the bar.

“Bar keep! Two beers and a cider please!” Samantha shouted at the bartender who just nodded as he whisked up all three drinks in what seemed like seconds. After paying for them she handed one of the beers to Jack and the cider to me. She then took a big gulp of her beer before Jack protested.

“Hey I thought we were going to have shots!” He said confused.

“Shots? Really Jack? You know what you’re like when you drink alcohol. No way am I gonna let you have fuckin shots. You’d be passed out quicker than you could say vodka!” Samantha said exasperatedly.

If it wasn’t obvious from earlier. Jack can not for the life of him handle his liquor. Like, at all... honest to god if you gave him two pints of beers he would be done for the night. Like drunk off his ass done. If you gave him a third there would be a high chance of him being sick. Samantha on the other hand? The complete opposite. She could chug alcohol constantly and never throw up. She would get drunk sure but when it came down to it she could drink anyone under the table.

I remember a while ago on... I think it was Jack’s birthday? A visiting fraternity came over from America for a vacation here in the UK. Honestly I don’t know why but they had a drinking challenge in the pub that we were in at the time. Samantha thought it would be fun and asked if she could join in. The guys all laughed at her but let her join anyway. Probably thought they could get her hammered and then make the moves on her. If you know what I mean... The idiots... they had no idea what they just unleashed. They then all just drank and drank and drank. One by one passing out until only Samantha was left standing. A whole fucking fraternity. And she drank the whole lot of them under the table. Timid little British girl against like 30 guys and she won... anyway.

Me on the other hand? I liked alcohol sure. But I like the sweeter kinds, like cider. And I could hold my liquor if I do say so myself. Not like Samantha. But I could last a while...

“I never get to have any fun...” Jack mumbled to himself. Although I wasn’t entirely sure if he said that exactly. Again it was super loud in here...

When I turned back to Samantha she had already finished her beer. And quickly ordered another one before turning to talk to us again.

“Well if you guys don’t mind I’m gonna dance for a bit and then find someone to make out with... see ya!” And then she was off, shaking her booty off in her minidress as she danced into the massive crowd.

Jack just took a couple of swigs of his beer before looking at me sheepishly. “Uh. I think I’m a go and do that as well...” He said apologetically before running off into the dancing mass as well.

Great. Alone again. Typical. This is why I don’t go out with them anymore. They make a big deal about me socialising more then as soon as they get alcohol they run off looking for a make out session! Ugh.

I spent the next half an hour coaxing my cider until I had enough and started to wonder into the club more. There were people dancing everywhere. And if they weren’t dancing they were kissing and groping. As I was moving through I had a couple of girls stroke my arms sexually before they both attempted to squeeze my bottom. But fortunately I got out of that quickly. Then a few guys tried to grind on me as I went past before eventually making it to the booths where I saw a couple of gay guys making out, a couple of gay girls making out. Some straight guys and girls making out. Even a fucking 4 way make out session between two guys and two girls who all seemed equally interested in each other... wow. Sex was in the air tonight.

...Was. Was that an Emerged lizard guy going to town on a girl? Wow that tongue was long...

Fortunately I, by some miracle, found an empty booth and proceeded to sit in it finally happy to sit down. All of a sudden Samantha came into view with a girl on her arm. And, was that three ciders? Oh no...

Heyyyy... Al! I saw you being all down and so I brought you more drinks. Here!” She said as she slid all three ciders to me before flopping down and pulling the girl she had with her onto her lap. She then proceeded to make out with her.

I finished what was left of my cider before very carefully pushing away the ‘gifted’ ciders that Samantha brought.

“Hey! I got those for yoooou! Now drink up! Don’t be such a party-pooper!” She said. Annoyed that I would ‘dare’ to refuse her drinks. Before turning back and continuing to make out with the girl on her lap... who now both seemed to be, floating? And when did that girl’s hair turn bright blue?

Knowing that one way or another she was probably going to get her way, I decide to just bite the bullet and just drink. I mean screw it! It was Friday night and I didn’t need to worry, cus I’m not working tomorrow anyway. So I did just that. I drank. It was probably a bad idea, but I drunk two of the ciders relatively quickly.

“Yeah! There you go!” Samantha said happily. Seemingly satisfied with her work she took off again  taking the random, apparently Emerged blue-haired floaty girl with her.

Actually. Now that I think about it. There are an awful lot of Emerged here in this club. Wow! How didn’t I notice that? Even the bartender was Emerged he had pure white hair and pale blue eyes and was... oh that makes sense. He was creating ice out of thin air. And was even using what seemed to be weak telekinetic powers to grab glasses and stuff... cool.

Gosh, I remember when the first two Emergences happened. Fortunately I was home on both accounts. But it was still bloody terrifying. Strange colourful storms which came out of nowhere, changed random people and gave them super powers. Some people even ended up with their bodies changed. Even to the point that they looked entirely inhuman like that lizard guy from earlier. I remember watching the news about how a literal dragon tore up upper Manhattan...

Ever since then there have been numerous amounts of Superheroes and Villains running around causing all sorts of chaos. Although most people just tended to use their powers for mundane stuff like floating around like that girl or using their powers for jobs like the bartender. Of course with all of the chaos of Emerged running around, it caused a great amount of fear and panic to happen and now there were a ton of hateful people that well, hated Emerged. I heard that America took it the worst. Especially in places like New York where people have been shot by the police just for being an Emerged in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Fortunately in the UK though we have been a bit more lucky when it came to the Emergences. Not in how many people had Emerged. But in how we reacted. Sure it was chaotic those first couple of months as it was everywhere else, but we soon got over it. I mean sure, we still have the haters and some of our police tend to be ‘shoot first ask questions later’, but ultimately? Our country were one of the first to recover from the Emergences and maintain a semblance of order.

I say semblance because we still have Villains and the such running around. But the OMR mostly deals with them... anyway...

As I was thinking about all of the Emerged and such, I saw Jack make his way towards me. Seeing that Samantha had left me here by myself, again. He probably felt a little guilty for just leaving me at the bar earlier. If the look on his face was accurate that is...

“Hey Alan...” He said, rubbing his hand on the back of his head awkwardly.

“Sup. You here to apologise for ditching me earlier?” I said in an annoyed tone.

He winced at me when I said that... okay yeah he was definitely feeling guilty.

“Um, I...” He said before I interrupted him by putting my hand up.

I sighed. “It’s fine man. I know that I’m not the best person to be around in social gatherings.” I said with another sigh at the end.

That was one of the reasons that I didn’t want to come too. I’m just a very boring person to be around socially. If someone tried to engage in a conversation with me I would just reply with very short answers until they took the hint and stopped talking to me. It’s not that I’m shy or something, I just can’t seem to open myself up for whatever reason. No idea why. I just feel, uninspired to do anything.

That wasn’t always the case though. When I was younger in Primary school, I was really open about everything. I was really fun to be around and I always managed to make people laugh. It was where I met Samantha and Jack actually. We all went to the same schools together and became super close. It all changed when I became a teenager though. For some reason I just, shut myself off from everyone around me. The only people I actually talk to now are my two best friends and a few of my family.

“Yeah I know... I was, well we, were just trying to help you come out of your shell. You know maybe meet I nice girl? Or guy?” He paused for a moment and I just stared at him, frowning at him with a hidden sadness. “Or lizard person...” He nodded at the lizard guy who was a few booths down still making out with that girl.

I chuckled slightly at that before my smile faded and went back to sad contemplation.

“I’m sorry man. I just... fuck. I miss your laugh. I miss the way how you were and I know Samantha does too. I’m sorry that we dragged you out here...” He said, running his hand through his short blonde hair while he looked off into the distance at the fond memories of our childhood.

“I know. I’m sorry too. I wish that I could be the person that you guys want me to be... But, I’m not that anymore... I don’t know why I’m like this. I don’t know why for some reason I’m not attracted to anyone. Or anything really... I...” I had to stop. Thinking about myself was too painful. I could feel a tear rolling down my cheek.

One of the things I discovered about myself was that I wasn’t attracted to anyone... like at all... I think the term is Asexual? The only time I feel somewhat attracted to someone is when a pretty girl walks down the street or something. But even that is not attraction. It’s more like... Admiration? Appreciation? I don’t know. I’ve never found anyone that I actually felt attracted to... Especially when it came to sexual stuff. I mean, I’ve only ever tried masturbating the one time and while it did somewhat feel good, especially at the end. I just felt really sick afterwards. So I never did it again.

We stared at each other sadly for a moment before I picked up the last cider and chugged the whole thing at once. Placing it back down I sighed into the glass before pushing myself up. I immediately felt the unsteadiness that came from being drunk but I managed to steady myself before carefully moving out of the booth. Turning back towards Jack I quickly gave him a half smile before speaking.

“Um. I think that I’m just going to go...” I said. Jack just nodded.

“How are you gonna...” Jack asked before I cut him off again.

“I’ll just call a taxi.” I said quickly. Taking out my phone and waving it at him before placing it back into my pocket.

“Okay then. I guess I will see you at home then.” He said a sad smile, before turning around and wandering back into the mass of dancing bodies.

He’s probably going to go and find Samantha to tell her that I was leaving... I’d better leave before she tries to stop me. She means well, but when she’s drunk she isn’t too great at understanding emotions.

As I pushed gently through the massive crowd I quickly decided to go to the bathroom real quick before leaving. Once I had finished my business. I did a quick look around to see if I could see Samantha. And saw her looking confused at the booth that I was just in a minute ago. I quickly made my way through the crowd of dancing people again and towards the exit. I got felt up again a few times on the way out. But I gave them no mind.

Soon I was outside and I noticed the wind had picked up quite a bit since earlier. And I looked up to see storm clouds gathering quickly. Thinking that it was going to probably start pouring down soon I hurriedly opened my taxi app and ordered a ride. I then briskly walked over to the side of the road where the taxis usually pick people up and drop them off at.

That was when I saw a peculiar sight. A man, who looked to be like 7 feet tall was standing in the middle of the road, looking at something glowing on his left arm. He was wearing some sort of armour, that made him look a bit like a knight. All of the sudden I heard the boom of thunder and I looked up. The sky was now glowing multicoloured as the storm proceeded to get worse. Hold on. That’s not a storm! It’s another frickin Emergence!

Glancing back down I saw the man looking up at the sky with fascination. “Now that’s interesting...” I think I heard him say. But my gaze was suddenly drawn to another point as I saw a big truck hurdling down the street towards the strange armoured man. The driver, from what I could see, was looking up at the sky. And had no idea that in about 10 seconds he was about to run someone over.

Snapping into action, I bolted towards the giant man as fast as I could. Just as I reached him I dove and tackled him out of the way of the moving truck when suddenly I got hit by something. But it wasn’t the truck... I felt a wave of unimaginable power course through me as the Emergence did it’s thing. I felt awful. It was as if I was being electrocuted and stretched to a breaking point before snapping back like a rubber band.

The last thing I remember was the eyes of the man I pushed boring into my mind. Everything fading to black except for his green and purple eyes...

23