1. Beyond the Iron Gate
24 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dark clouds erupted into an ongoing heavy downpour of rain. The water pounded against the earth, creating a symphony of natural noise. 

Crashing through the thick mist, a young male staggered forward. His quandary was in sight, the black looming iron clad bars that kept the inhabitants safe from harm. His feet carried him, albeit clumsily as he struggled to remain conscious. He could feel the mist curling around his cold, drenched skin. The chills continued to rush down his spine as he could feel the sinister thing behind him, watching him as he passed the clearing of the forest. 

A cacophony of sounds from within the gates aroused him from his stricken senses. A welcome sound as the distant grinding of metal churned together to lift up the large iron. He could see it slowly lift up from the ground, the mud dropping off from the spikes as it continued to rise. 

Brave guards rushed out to aid him as he collapsed. His strength was gone, as the blood on his face made it hard to see. His black hair matted with mud. His face marred with chunks of flesh dangling off his cheek. Pale from loss of blood, or from the terror he felt as the guards pulled him up. 

He could hear the cackling. The hideous laughter that haunted him. Which haunted all of them. The guards ran, their instinct to run kicked in as they half carried the man back to safety. More of the mist started to swirl from the forest, bringing forth a thicker fog encroaching closer and closer to their heels. 

 The grinding of the gears alerted them that the gate was coming down. The lightning and thunder rolled and boomed overhead. They picked up the pace as the remaining villagers started to scream at them to keep running, the fear evident in their voices.

The squishing sound of drenched soaked earth as the gates spears impaled themselves back into place. The two guards had just made it in time heaving large gasping breaths. The young man from outside rolled over, his whole body raked in pain as the shock continue to ebb away. 

A pair of withered hands, long bony fingers from outside clenched themselves against the bars as the menacing laughter of the crazy monster that continued to torment them alerted all. The man watched in sheer horror. The bars sizzled under its touch as it cackled. The eyes, like bright beacons, in the mist gleamed with crazed joy. It’s voice raspy, and cracking at several syllables.

“Your bars won’t protect you forever.” It leaned closer to the bars, and the sizzling intensified. “I will find a way in.”

 Its deranged expression cackled menacingly, as the rain continued its rough course. It’s laughter erupted before the mist enveloped it completely, leaving the bars devoid of its presence. As the light faded from the man’s eyes, he wondered, what did their village do to earn this dreaded nightmare.

0