Chapter 24: Spiked Firebears
199 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Chapter 24 is up. Would love to hear your thoughts about this one as well. Enjoy!

We encircled Bria, watching as her eyes glowed to search for our targets. After a few muted moments, the glow vanished and her eyes returned to normal. She turned to us, then said, “I found some.”

When her eyes met mine, I nodded to give her permission to proceed. She muttered a few words, then a lava red aura covered her hand. After waving her hands around twice, the familiar portal hung in front of us, revealing four light orange bears with glowing red spikes on their backs and forepaws, as well as a blazing fire running from their head to the back of their necks like a horse’s mane. So, those are Spiked Firebears, I thought. 

I turned to look at my subordinates. After checking that all of them were attending to me, I jumped into the swirling portal. Within a few seconds, the War Orcs, Nighthowls, and me were encircling the four Spiked Firebears. The War Orcs, along with the Nighthowls, were right across me. Rihoku, fangs and claws bared, was growling beside me. Good, everybody’s in position.

My eyes shifted above the blazing fire on top of the bears’ head. 

[Spiked Firebear]

[Lvl. 29] [Lvl. 28] [Lvl. 30] [Lvl 29]

 

Sweet! Exactly what we need. “Gorda,” I shouted, “separate them, then subdue them! Don’t kill or injure them severely. We need them in good condition!” I emphasized the need to not injure my possible future subordinates. Gorda was too far, and all I could hear were devilish growls. I wasn’t sure if she actually heard my command, but the next moment, the War Orcs and Nighthowls started to move. They pounced and charged, breaking the bears’ formation. Soon, they were divided into three. Two were facing us, while the other were already trapped within War Orc-Nighthowl encirclements.

Yeah, she heard me. I gave Rihoku’s back a gentle pat, and he immediately sprung into action. I couldn’t let them have all the fun, so I jumped in using Wind Walk. Right after, I unsheathed Gale and sent an abysmal black slash just above Rihoku. The bears saw my not-so-discreet attack and growled. Their attention completely shifted from the War Orcs to us. 

A grin crept on my lips. The bears roared and the flames on their head blazed fiercer. The one in front stood on both feet and raised both paws high in the air. If I remembered it correctly, that should be an attempt to make itself look bigger and make its opponent shirk in fear. At least, that’s what bears in my old world do. If it’s trying to intimidate me, it definitely worked for a moment. My heartbeat raced, but my confidence returned once my sight fell on the dark slash cutting through the air. The bear went on all fours and rushed to meet by attack. Heh, brave but reckless.

But my confidence faltered once more. The firebear roared, then crossed its paws across its chest. The spikes hit each other with an audible clang, then they glowed red. The bear stood there, motionless and waiting for the slash. An explosion of energy followed as my Crescent Slash hit the bear’s spikes, sending bits and pieces of molten red splaying into the air. When the fog of aura dissipated, a figure appeared in the middle. The Spiked Firebear was still holding its position, paws crossed in front of its chest. Other than the absence of spikes on its forepaws, it was completely unharmed. Not even a drop of blood was spilled.

My eyes affixed to the bear, while my confidence shattered. The grin on my lips vanished, and my hand found its way to Gale’s hilt. At that moment, a huge orange figure came from behind, paws outstretched. The other Spiked Firebear was charging at a speed faster than what I would’ve guessed for its size. 

Damn it. How can it move that fast with that massive body? My eyes shifted from left to right, trying to figure out what was the best course of action. I surely didn’t expect the bear to block my perfected Crescent Slash, sending me into panic. But while I was confused, the bear charged. The other one behind had also regained its composure. I can’t block something that massive. I need to dodge. The chilling mana surged to the soles of my feet, then I kicked the ground to regain a few more distance from the bear. As I did, Rihoku flashed above me. 

With his claws outstretched, Rihoku met the bear midair. Although I said met, it’s more like getting close and scratching the bear before sidestepping again. Rihoku’s claws were aimed towards the bear’s face, but it ducked. Again, I was caught off guard. That was a maneuver I didn’t expect. Damn. These guys are none like I’ve faced before. 

Rihoku’s claws met the spike on the bear’s back with an audible clang, then he used the bear as leverage to jump off. Rihoku landed without the slightest sound, while the bear hit the ground with a heavy thud. Again, the other bear, whose spikes had shattered, charged. I was starting to get an idea as to how these guys fight together. If they moved in coordination, then I wouldn’t just let Rihoku get disadvantaged. I breathed in deeply, finally composing myself. In one swift motion, I grabbed Gale and used Wind Walk to charge. The next moment, I unleashed another slash towards the charging bear. 

With its spikes on its forepaws gone, it was defenseless against my Crescent Slash. But just as it was about to hit it, the other one appeared in front of it and blocked my attack. Again, bits and pieces of its spikes flew into the air. This time, I wasn’t surprised. Instead, I could feel annoyance rushing to my head. 

Before I could send another Crescent Slash towards the bears, Rihoku had already dashed and jumped. His paws barely touched the ground, and he had soon launched himself into the air again. This time, he dropped his paws. He opened his jaws wide, and his razor sharp teeth sunk into one of the bear’s forepaws where the spike used to be. However, Rihoku didn’t manage to bite off a piece of flesh. Instead, he got stuck like a fish caught by fishing line. The bear roared and flailed its paw, waving Rihoku up in the air. Rihoku’s bite must’ve loosened as he got separated from the bear. Drops of blood formed and trickled down the bear’s orange fur. A slight black miasma hovering around it. Rihoku’s corrosion had started to take effect.

Despite the wound, the bears rushed towards Rihoku as soon as his paws touched the ground. Rihoku didn’t leave his on them too. As soon as they got near, he jumped sideways, while sneaking another scratch on the wounded bear’s leg. Blood dripped from four gaping wounds left by Rihoku’s claws to the ground. This time, however, there wasn’t any sign of corrosion. With two wounds, the wounded bear started to limp.

On the other hand, I wasn’t just watching idly as Rihoku kept both bears at bay. I was injecting mana into Gale, waiting for the opportune moment. When the wounded bear lagged behind the other bear, I unleashed another Crescent Slash. But this one was stronger than the two before it. After all, I continuously injected mana into it.

The bears seemed to have sensed the danger and changed their course towards me. The two rushed towards the slash, but the wounded one was visibly falling behind. Seeing this, Rihoku ran towards it and bit its other leg. The bear wailed and fell to the ground. Oblivious of the fate that befell its companion, the other bear continued its charge. But before the slash decapitated it, it dived down, almost missing the slash. The slash hit the tip of the bear’s spike. But unlike before, it didn’t just shatter. It stopped the slash for a good moment before the tip was completely sliced. The slash continued its course when a black figure appeared in front of it, sword in hand. In one smooth motion, it cleaved the slash in half, which dissipated the energy.

I nodded to it in gratitude and muttered under my breath, “Thanks, Shiki.”

Although only the tip of the spike was cut, the bear limped and fell unconscious. Is the spike on its back it’s weakness? I thought. I figured I’d ask Bria later. For the meantime, my part of the hunt was over.

I exhaled, letting loose the tension building up on my muscles. “We’re done here.” 

My eyes towards the orcs. My gaze was met by ten pairs of ferocious eyes. Two Spiked Firebears laid on their feet, unconscious. 

The corners of my mouth curled. I waved to Gorda to bring the bears closer to the ones we defeated. With a growl from her, the orcs carried the bears closer and dropped them beside the other two.

All of them are already unconscious. Bria’s charm is no longer needed, right?

I brushed the thought aside and went on with it. Subjugate!

[Subjugate Spiked Firebear Lvl 29

(yes) (no)]

 

[Subjugate Spiked Firebear Lvl 28

(yes) (no)]

 

[Subjugate Spiked Firebear Lvl 29

(yes) (no)]

 

[Subjugate Spiked Firebear Lvl 30

(yes) (no)]

 

Yes.

[Subjugating Spiked Firebear...

Target is resisting subjugation…]

 

The firebears wailed and writhed. My brows furrowed, and my heartbeat raced. None of my previous subjugations was like this. The spikes on their backs glowed bright red, and the temperature started to rise.

Shit! I knew that something was off. “Run!” I shouted.

The War Orcs and the Nighthowls leaped away from the bears, but we weren’t fast enough. An explosion knocked the air out of my lungs and sent me flying. As my consciousness started to fade, the last thing I saw was the system prompt hanging in the air.

[Congratulations on leveling up! You are now level 29.]

8