Chapter 57
10.4k 20 215
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

The three of them made their way through dingy back alleys, quickly leaving the low levelers quarter behind and headed toward the mid levelers part of town.

Lyra hesitantly touched at Rain’s elbow causing him to stop.

“Uhm, I should take out those arrow shafts. They kinda stand out a bit and they don't make you look very leveler like.”

“I don't think anything makes me look very leveler like,” gravelled Rain, but he sat down on the ground crossing his legs so that she could reach the arrows.

“I feel… guilty,” muttered Lyra as she gently touched one of the arrows in Rain’s back. “Levelers are supposed to be good, we kill monsters… but monsters aren't like I was told, or how I understood…”

Opal spat to the side. “Levelers were never good sheepy. You trap monsters in dungeons in a never ending cycle of death and killing all for your own greed. You make us suffer and hate and struggle for nothing.”

“That's because of what happens sometimes with monsters! If we didn't the world would, there would- You don’t know about it, you don't understand!”

“BULLSHIT! You do it for levels! For power!”

“Stop.” growled Rain, firmly putting an end to it.

They fell silent as Lyra slowly worked the remaining arrows from Rain’s back. Fortunately, they were only shallow wounds and despite Rain’s body occasionally tensing up with pain they came out easily. Lyra was glad she had chosen black for his coat, it hid the bloodstains well.

“Maybe it was a bad idea to come here like this, pretending to be a leveler,” she murmured, “I didn't expect the reaction to be quite so- I guess I really am getting used to being around you.”

“It’s fine. There wasn't an easy way into town, your idea worked, we are inside and so far the town hasn't entirely gone to war with me.”

“I guess at least some people are assuming you’re my slave, It would have saved so much hassle if we could have just bypassed the walls though.”

“Why didn’t we?” said Opal. 

“Because they are enchanted everywhere but at the gatehouses. 

Opal twirled her black hair, looking between Lyra and Rain.

“Hmm, So do you want to keep going like this? These levelers don’t seem to like us very much.”

“I’m not leaving until I’ve found at least Lira and Adlen, we’ve come this far I’m not backing down now.”

“We could use my invisibility?” said Lyra, “Now we’re inside we don’t need to remain out in the open like this, we could do this from the shadows.”

Rain hesitated then shook his head. “No, if we can do this a certain way we can come back freely over and over, just randomly killing them could draw attention. Do you know what I have in mind?”

“I think so,” said Lyra, “But let's see what happens first. Come on let's go to some busier areas, I’ll try and be a bit louder about you being a ‘leveler’ this time.”

They moved deeper into the mid leveler quarter and toward the market districts. It was busier here, much busier, and the number of people who practically jumped out of their skin and fled when they saw Rain increased. A couple of people tried to draw swords and attack him but this time Lyra was ready with a heavy duty word barrage that involved a lot of accusations of racism and rudeness and why in the gods sweet name would the guards let a giant scary monster into town? Don't be ridiculous that would never happen, be rational, gosh. In short she gaslit the ever loving shit out of them, in fact this went past gaslighting, she was solidifying the gas into a brick and hitting people in the face with it.

Rain for his part found he was, strangely enough, starting to enjoy the reactions. It was somehow gratifying to see people draw back from him after his past life where they would intentionally ignore him or casually knock him aside with a look of disgust. 

The air was filled with the scent of food as stalls and shops lining the edges of the cobble tried to flog cheap grub to passers-by. Rain felt not a little discomfort from this, the rich spiced scent of meat roasting over open braziers getting his hunger up, filling his mouth with saliva, causing his stomach to growl, he could just reach out and ta-. He was glad for the reprieve when they moved away although the hunger never quite disappeared, instead becoming a slow background burn grating on his nerves.

They caused a huge commotion as they emerged into the market proper, hawkers at stalls going bugeyed and choking on their own spit as Rain’s shadow loomed over them. The crowd had a difficult time keeping back from him with so many people and it was only Lyra walking in front of him with her arms spread and announcing him that stopped a full blown panic.

“The mighty merchant king, Fitz of the north has arrived in Lynthia! No he is not a monster, yes he has lots of gold! You think he’s a monster? Well I guess you must hate gold then cause you aren't getting any!” 

As Lyra spoke Rain turned his head, his gaze following Opal. Like a piece of steel being drawn toward a magnet the Goblin was making a beeline to the nearest stall selling weapons, a fascinated look in her eyes.

The rotund and bald merchant running the stall gave the Goblin a sceptical look.

“Did your master send you out on an errand Goblin? 

“...Yes? My master says to give me your best weapon, the shiniest, pointiest, sharpiest pointy you have.”

The merchant blinked down at her, then his gaze moved to her pack which did look like the sort of thing someone wealthy might perhaps own. An ingratiating smile appeared on the merchant's face. He had stumbled upon an easy mark, what a wonderful day!

Immediately he brushed aside the blades laid out on his counter and from underneath produced a box, a long black lacquered box. He ran his hand along it reverently. 

“This is a rarity in this part of the world, this came from far far to the east, created over the course of a decade by celibate monks of the skyspine mountain range. They rarely if ever interact with the outside world, this had to be smuggled out and even then ten people died in the process, the monks guard their masterpieces carefully.

A fire was burning in Opal, the fire of hype. She found she could not look away from the merchant’s emotive performance.

The merchant flourished his chubby hands, “May I present, with the greatest sanctity, the Crimson Katana of Kalirn!”

He ran a finger along the rim and then carefully, slowly, opened the box as though revealing his favourite child. Opal’s mouth dropped open seeing the glossy red curved blade within. Her hand came out, shaking slightly as she hesitantly reached for this magnificent weapon. The merchant drew the box back to her dismay.

“I want this.” said Opal, her throat dry.

“I can't just give it away, I just can’t, the man who gave it to me, he stumbled into my home bleeding from a gut wound, with his dying breath he bequeathed me it, I must protect it for all my life.”

“B-but you showed me it after I asked!”

“Yes, but the mental pain I would have to endure to trade it away, I no longer know if I can endure it, although... perhaps… perhaps large quantities of coinage could soothe the agony.”

Opal set her lips in a line and determinedly slammed her pack down on the ground. She flipped open the top and grabbed fistfuls of gold and began throwing them on the counter.

The merchant's eyes seemed to become luminous with glee. That is until Opal dumped a skull on the counter. A skull with two green flames for eyes which remained in place and unmoving. What was this? A tacky magical lantern? 

He leaned in, puzzlement creasing his brow. Since it was thrown in with the gold surely it must be worth some significant amount, but why?  He squinted at the two flames, carefully looking between them. 

“BOO.” spoke the skull. 

The merchant let out an unfortunately girlish squeak and lurched backwards, his fat wobbling alarmingly.

“Hey don't scare him Boner, this idiot is giving away amazing swords for practically nothing! What a complete fool hahaha!”

Vash sighed and rolled his eyes. Then he glanced over to Rain who was watching this unfold some distance away from the stall. He sighed again, this time resignedly. 

“That sword is just resin coated wood. I can see inside of it. He’s trying to scam you.”

The merchant blinked. What the hell was this? A magical skull that saw truths?

“Not true! Whatever that skull is, it’s not telling the truth!”

“Even for a mortal you are truly a pathetic specimen. I wouldn't even consider you for my collection. You should dig a grave and put yourself in it, it would be skipping to the only relevant point of your life. To think you and I tread the same ground. Ugh, such a wretched creature.

You disgust me.”

“Wow Boner, that was kind of a jerk thing to say.”

“Your opinion does not matter to me at all Goblin, I only advise because your master is a brute who holds my existence in his paws.”

“Yeah, well, my opinion says it would be interesting to see what would happen if I painted you with lard and tossed you to some piggys.”

“...I amend my statement. Nevermind what I said about your opinion. Take back the gold.”

“H-hey hang on now,” said the merchant suddenly very aware of the pile of gold sitting on his counter. “You’ve already paid, I don’t do refunds!”

He overcame his wariness of the skull and grabbed at the gold, sweeping it toward himself. It was as he was doing this that a shadow covered him and blocked the light. He blinked and looked up to see a wall of black. A paw came up and gripped the front flap of the canvas roof of his stall and ripped it upwards. The merchant screamed and fell backwards as a monstrous wolf head looked down at him. He scrambled back on his butt, unable to look away from those feral yellow eyes until he slammed up against the wall at the back.

“What is happening here,” gravelled Rain. 

“Hmm. I just saved your Goblin from losing you lots of gold for nothing.”

“Why.”

“She was trying to buy the sword. It's made of wood, it's fake, I can see.”

Rain glanced at the skull then to the sword box. He then put one massive paw on it and curled his digits around it, applying pressure until the box exploded into splinters. The splintered remains of the sword, clearly wood beneath the enamel, were revealed.

Opal gasped and rounded on the merchant. “I trusted you! How could you betray the sword!”

The quivering merchant shook his head violently.

“P-please don't kill me! I have two wives and fourteen children!”

“Oh good! Rain can eat them too!” said Opal with an evil grin. 

The merchant whimpered at that and a slowly growing wet patch appeared on his trousers.

“Opal take the money. Don't take the skull out again, levelers don't like und- they don't like talking skulls.”

The Goblin grumbled but began sweeping the gold back into her pack along with the skull which “Hmphhed” as it was put back inside.

Rain turned away from the stall. Lyra was nowhere in sight, she’d wandered off. Not good. He could already see people around him were starting to lose it. An unattended giant monster tended to have that effect.

Well, no point wasting time. He raised his voice. “Lyra.” The whole crowd flinched away from him and conversation died over the entire market. Everyone was looking at him now. That might have been a mistake.

“Yes?” came a voice. “Why are you pronouncing my name like that?”

Rain blinked and turned to see a small person. A Halfling. It was her, Lira. One of his killers. 

His breathing accelerated and his fur raised, traumatic memories like nails on a chalkboard and scalding fury along with it thrusting to the forefront of his mind. He prepared to leap on her, to literally rip her apart in front of everyone.

A hand touched at his thigh and he looked down to see Lyra had appeared beside him, she had a worried look in her eye as though she knew what he intended. She shook her head slightly. Rain, with great difficulty, forced his body to relax. 

“I saw you earlier, you're that fancy rich merchant people have been speaking about?” said the Halfling. “Hmm, you know you must be awfully high level to have a body like that, would you say what your level is if it isn't too much trouble? I would just love to hear what a big strong one like you has built up.” The Halfling bit her lip and gave Rain a coy look.

Rain blinked. “You don't think I’m a monster?”

“No? That sheepy half-Elf said you weren't and I haven't seen a monster like you before so you must be a leveler right!” said the Halfling with a genuinely charming and friendly smile.

The irony that the only person in the entire town who was welcoming of him was the person he had come to kill was not lost on Rain.

 

 

 

Rain current height: 8 Feet, 3.5 Inches = 252.73 Centimeters

 

If you like this story I've officially launched a Patreon where you can read chapters and see art in advance along with HD art and character nudes. 
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dreadwolf Patreon

I've also started a community discord server which is now fully armed and fully operational.

Hungry Wolf Discord

>゚)))彡 ฅⓛ w ⓛฅ

 

215