30. ~Childish Games~
971 3 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter Five

Squeezing his way through the crowd, Yatsu was pushed and shoved all over the place trying to head for the garden where this event would take place. At this rate he figured he'd be lucky to see any of it. Maybe I should go outside and wait for her.

He made up his mind and turned around in the chaos, but a soft hand grabbed his arm and tugged.

Soft hand? Sasha?

Yatsu tried to get a better look at the girl as she led him out of the crowd and tossed him into an empty classroom, slamming the door behind her.

Pink hair.

“Sasha! Shouldn't you-” A strong flowery assaulted hit his nose.

She moved fast and tackled him with a hug.

Her eyes are darker than usual.

Then that flowery scent stung his nose again as Sasha buried her face into him.

“Yatsu...” she whispered, but that was more than just a whisper.

Yatsu closed his arms around her, “What’s wrong?” He asked.

“The girls... pinned me down, they dolled me up and they-” Sasha sniffled. “-I told them to let me go but-” she sniffled again “-I couldn't fight them off… they caught me off guard,” anger swallowed the embarrassment in her voice.

Damn. Yatsu held her tighter, willing some of his strength into her.

He wasn't there for her. He couldn't protect her.

“Yatsu?” Sasha backed out of his grasp.

Makeup, lipstick… Sasha face was pale and pink with powder. Those girls didn’t hold back.

Tears ran down her cheeks.

Has Sasha ever been this vulnerable? No. She’s embarrassed and humiliated, but more than that... Sasha balled her hands into fists... she’s angry.

There is strength behind that mask.

I couldn’t protect her, but I can help her. He pried his eyes away and scanned the room.

A sink stood in the corner, and paper towel hung on the wall beside it. Table-like desks set up in orderly fashion. A science classroom.

“Hold on,” he had her wait as he took a box of kleenex sitting on a desk, and rummaged through the classroom’s first aid kit for a petroleum pack. He grabbed some paper towels and ran them under the tap for a second. Sitting back down in front of Sasha and poured petroleum on the paper towel. When he raised the paper towel Sasha glared at him like she was about to kill something.

“I'm going to clean you up. It’s water and a little petroleum, nothing more,” he said.

She kept glaring and eyed the paper towel.

“My sister’s had more than one accident and mom wasn’t always around to fix it,” Yatsu reassured. “I’m not sure I can get it all off but…”

Her eyes grew big and she nodded approval.

Surprised I’ve helped my sister with makeup?

He hesitated, but gently went to work. First, the tears that dripped down her face made sad black streaks. He wiped those away, along with the eye-shadow that made her eyes terribly dark. After, he flipped the paper towel over, wiped off any blush and every bit of powder they splashed on her face. He grabbed another towel, went over it again.

Last were the lips, not all the lipstick came off, or at least he didn't remember her lips being that pink but-

No one will notice.

The paper towel cleaned her up but it must have felt rough. Yatsu took kleenex and wiped everything down a final third time, taking off any access and applying a soft touch.

He pulled back and Sasha opened her eyes with a bright smile.

“Am I pretty?”

“Psh, who wants to be pretty? You are so cute I-” Damn, he couldn't even talk if she looked at him like that! He turned his gaze, his face heating up. “-well, I'm speechless. I can't believe I'm-” he closed his eyes. “I would have never thought in a million years that you, of all people, would place your lips on my cheek.”

He risked a glance at her again.

Sasha’s blush returned. “I'm not pretty but cute? Y-you see me as a young little girl playing childish games?”

“I-” she didn't sound mad. Yatsu smiled and nodded. “Yup, and I want to be your childhood friend that eventually falls head-over-heels in love with you- So, your options: you could march over there with your head up high dominating the situation and flat out refuse him before you turn around and walk out, or, you could do the exact opposite and walk in all blushing like an idiot. I think that's what most of the school suspects you to do. You could not show up at all, but I don't think that's an option you are willing to take.”

She shook her head.

She's no coward. Yatsu's heart fluttered, he didn't know how much more excitement his heart could take before he simply keeled over. “I’ve already ran out of ideas. What do you think?”

Her expression changed again, sparkling with determination.

She suddenly stared deep into his eyes, her face turning red. She took hold of him, and closed in. Her lips almost brushed his, but then she went around and kissed his cheek a second time.

19