49. ~Promise~
780 3 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next day, Sasha stood in front of Eva's place again. Eva's mom opened the door, crossed her arms and stared at her. Sasha was about to ask where Eva was when the stare turned into a glare.

“I need an explanation now,” she said and hugged herself tight when the outside air hit her arms. “Eva hasn't stopped crying since you brought her home yesterday, and-” tears watered her eyes, “-I don't want to see her like this anymore,” she sniffled. “Can't Eva ever just be happy for once?” She wiped away the tears on her face with her sleeve.

Ah, no, she's about to- “After school,” Sasha said. “I'll tell you about her breakup,” Sasha turned away in haste, but paused. “She should have broken up with him the day he asked her out.”

Sasha left Eva's mom standing in the doorway.

And I wanted to visit Yatsu today.


In school, Sasha continued scribbling down answers on the question sheet, constantly referring to the textbook in front of her. Though her concentration kept snapping because the rest of the class wouldn't shut up.

"Braxton is doing well, I heard he's already on his feet-"

"Eva's not here, she must be taking it-"

"-no, I heard Eva broke up with-"

"Shh!" The homeroom teacher eyed the classroom.

The gossip silenced but started up again just as quickly.

Four questions remaining. The bell rang and Sasha packed her books.

“Meet us on the rooftop where you eat lunch,” a girl whispered beside Sasha's ear and slithered out of the classroom with the rest of the students.

Sasha tossed her bag over her shoulder. Nothing better to do.

Sasha climbed the stairs and opened the door to the rooftop. Two of the four girls waiting looked familiar. A fifth girl stepped in-between Sasha and closed the door behind her.

Sasha stepped back and grinned. Scrawny Girl, Butter Fingers, and the rest. I owe these girls a promise, don't I? She dropped her bag.

Scrawny Girl stepped in front of Sasha and pointed to the ground. “On your knees,” she commanded. “Or we'll put you on your back again.”

“You can try,” growled Sasha and clenched her hands into fists.

Scrawny Girl flipped open her phone, Sasha recognized the photo of her of when they dolled up her face. “Remember this?”

Sasha shrugged. “What about it?”

“We'll spread it all over the school if you don't do what I say.”

Sasha rolled her eyes and pointed to the phone. “Psh, this is pathetic. You girls must be stupid if you think a little bit of makeup on my face is going to make me do- whatever you're trying to make me do.”

Scrawny Girl flipped her phone closed. “Fine, then. Girls, we have a ton of pictures to print.”

With that, the four girls circled around Sasha and entered the school again. The fifth girl, holding the door for them, gave Sasha an air-kiss goodbye and followed them out.

This was a waste of time. Sasha picked up her bag. I'll have to be careful they don't throw me on my back again. The same trick will NOT work twice.


Standing in front of Eva’s, Sasha knocked and Eva's mom opened the door with a greeting, already ushering Sasha inside.

“Can I offer you some water?” she asked.

Sasha nodded.

Sasha sat down on a couch while Eva's mom turned on the kitchen tap and filled a glass of water.

Placing two cups on the coffee-table in front of them, she sat down beside Sasha, placing her hands on her lap.

Sasha shuffled in her seat, and took a sip of water before placing it back down. “Okay, here we go,” Sasha took a breath.

Eva's mom listened without making a sound, tears streaming down her face.

Sasha recalled how Braxton’s attempt to use Eva to get to her. Spilling it all out, including their visit to the hospital.

“-and that brings us here,” Sasha finished.

Eva's mom took a sip of water.

“So -erm-?” Sasha paused, trying to remember if Eva ever mentioned her mom's name.

Eva's mom wiped her eyes with her sleeves. “Please call me Natalee,” she said. “I'm sorry you have to see me like... this.”

Sasha shivered. “Don't apologize to me, I've done nothing to deserve it,” Sasha took another sip of her water.

“You are much more mature than you... should be,” Natalee said carefully. “I hope you continue to be friends with my daughter. Care for her, you might be able to strengthen her heart where I couldn't.”

Sasha stood up. “Eva locked herself in her room?”

Natalee nodded.

“Tomorrow is Friday... tell her I'm coming to pick her up on Monday for school, and that she better be ready.”

Natalee smiled. “I’ll do that.”

Sasha waved a final goodbye and turned the street corner, a short walk and a few stair-steps, she opened the door to her house. Miya bounded up from the basement stairs.

“How was the visit at Eva’s place?” Miya grinned.

“It was good,” Sasha kicked off her shoes and glared at Miya. “Where’s Luna?”

Miya took a few steps back. “We were playing dress-up again. She needs a little help-” Sasha brushed passed her. “-cleaning up.”

Great. Sasha descended down the stairs where Luna shivered. Miya dressed her up in a grand flowery dress, and tried to make her skin look doll-like too by using… white glue?

“Bath.” Sasha commanded. “Now.”

Luna darted up the stairs without a word.

Sasha followed her.


Later, after scrubbing Luna from head to toe and pulling the dress off her. Sasha flopped onto her bed.

Yatsu snatched away all her thoughts, she wanted him to brush her cheek again. She wanted to hold him, she wanted him to hold her.

An image of Yatsu twisted and formed into an image of the Scrawny Girl's stupid face.

Sasha frowned as she imagined Scrawny Girl waving the picture they took back and forth, teasing her with it. Not like it was a spectacular picture, but Sasha still had to do something about it.

Luna passed by her room, clean and wearing only a towel.

Dressing up worked once…

Sasha glanced toward her closet.


Sitting in her room, Miya hovered a pen over a blank piece of paper.

Sasha was not happy, maybe it was because of those stupid cheerleaders?

I’m just going to have to-

SLAM

Miya jumped, nearly falling off of her chair, but froze when she stared directly into Sasha's cold gaze.

Sasha let go of a dusty box she slammed down on Miya’s work table.

“Get up early tomorrow, Miya. I'll need help with this,” Sasha said, turned away, and climbed the basement stairs.

How did she sneak up on me? That's nearly-

Miya's thoughts ceased when she recognized the dusty box. Open.

On her work table.

Miya, nor Luna dared touch it before. Sasha made it very clear they were not to go near it. It's been nagging at Miya forever to know what was in the stupid box.

Miya peered inside.

“What was that?” Luna bounded in the room, all dressed in her tomboy clothes, and froze upon seeing the box.

Miya grinned sadistically. “Pick a really cute dress, I'm going to turn you into a real doll tonight.”

Luna blushed.

19