This is ANN
1.6k 4 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Happening now, breaking news. 

Tonight, an industrial accident caused an explosion at Warehouse Compound A5 in the Welder's Bay District resulting in the complete destruction of one of the warehouses and an unknown number of casualties. 

Scene of warehouse in flames

Eyewitnesses report of a sudden blast ripping through the warehouse which had been storing a large amount of Pyroil. Pyroil had been classed as a prohibited item by The City Council due to its highly toxic nature, but its low cost means that there are is an underground market for this infernal fuel. The blast not only destroyed the warehouse, but released a large cloud of mundane and magical contaminants into the atmosphere. 

The large amount of Pyroil in the warehouse has led investigators to suspect that the warehouse was used as part of a major smuggling syndicate. 

Upon detecting the spike in magic coming from the compound, a unit from the Special Operations Police scrambled to the location in order to investigate. When the police arrived at the scene, they were attacked by the guards deployed at the warehouse without warning or explanation. The SOPO squad was unable to break through the resistance mounted by the guards and after half an hour of indecisive fighting, called for back up from the Reserve Assault Unit. 

With the arrival of the RAU and their heavy weapons, the fight began to swing in favor of SOPO. However, the guards at the compound refused to give in and mounted a savage counterattack on the police. 

Image of the compound that now looks like a battlefield, with wreckage strewn everywhere. The camera pans and lingers on the sight of an armored personnel carrier that has been bisected.

The resistance from the guards was only broken after SOPO called in several drone airstrikes and the RAU saturated the area with autocannon fire from their vehicles.  The SOPO unit then charged the guards while employing their battle magic. 

Image of several demons in suits on their knees handcuffed.

The police report that their casualties are 3 dead with several more injured. We do not have any information on the casualties suffered by the warehouse guards yet. The survivors of the guards are currently in police custody and undergoing questioning. 

Earlier tonight, Representative Michael had this to say:

Video clip of a blond, curly haired man giving an interview at the site. 

Yes. Of course we rushed here as soon as we heard the news. The workers are innocent and need our help. They should not suffer because of the actions of others. 

We are on standby at the moment. I have brought members of my staff to assist the hazmat crews once the all clear has been given by SOPO. Our sacraments will be effective in countering the infernal taint rising from the destroyed warehouse. We shall also assist the medics in mending the flesh of anyone that has been injured in this tragedy. 

However, there is something unpleasant that I feel needs to be said. Tonight's tragedy shows that the demons have been growing bolder. A skirmish of this scale is something that should happen during the Millennium War, not during the era of peace that we are living in. The Legion is either unwilling or unable to rein in the less savory members of demon society. The only solution is stronger policing with heavier involvement from law abiding communities. 

The formation of the RAU is a step in the right direction, but it is only the first step. Reorganizing ORPO, while necessary, will not solve the problem staring at us in the face. 

SOPO can no longer be a human only organisation. Its membership must be expanded to include the angels who are residing in our fine city. In order for SOPO to be truly effective at protecting the public, it must also be representative of that public. In order to face down threats not of this world, it must have members that understand those threats.

I understand that distrust lingers between our respective communities. The wounds of the Millennium War are not so easily healed. Nevertheless, in the next session of the Council, I will be proposing that SOPO begin the induction of angel members. We must have the bravery to move on from our prejudices and to take the hand proffered in friendship. 

Video clip ends.

Representative Michael was, of course, referring to the long running controversy of policing in The City being performed only by humans. A rule laid down by The City's charter of founding, it was meant to signify humanity as the true "owners" of this world, with the Host and Legion as responsible "tenants". Police in The City are also given much autonomy in pursuit of their functions to avoid the bureaucratic red tape arising from trans-sovereign nature of their day to day work. However, there has been increasing concern that this rule is endangering public safety and that the police have not been completely impartial in the conduct of their duties.

The problematic status of Ordinary Police has only increased this concern. The official position taken by Commander Hernandez of ORPO with regard to the historical territorial claims advanced by the Legion over large swaths of The City's districts has caused disquiet among the affected residents and the Council. 

This concern had led to the reorganizing of ORPO, with several members being transferred out to form the RAU and the removal of lethal weaponry from ORPO arsenals. The Commander nevertheless remains unrepentant and has freely admitted that ORPO accepts funding from the Legion. The autonomous nature of ORPO has made the Commander, and by extension ORPO itself, immune from censure. 

We will have further updates once the clean up of the site is completed and the police release more information. In the meantime, our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families. 

Coming up next, she may be an angel, but idolatry is no problem for her! Kirarin in a fan handshake event today announced the details of her upcoming concert. This, and more, coming up next on Angel News Network. 

40