A Bond, Not Forgotten
851 10 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Thank you! You have worked hard today!" Celeste smiles happily and gives me a deep bow.

I flex my tired arms and smile ruefully back at her. The Administration Department had made an urgent request to the student council to supply as many volunteers they could find to help with the preparations for Kira's concert. The school had been taken by surprise at the short notice and the workmen they had on hand were completely overwhelmed by the scale of the task. That was the reason why during class this morning, Celeste as class rep had been trying to drum up as many volunteers as possible.

The school really needed our help, so I naturally volunteered. I was hoping that Sera could join me as well, but she declined, saying that she had to report in to SOPO headquarters tonight. Surprisingly, Ken offered to chip in, but not as a volunteer. He was currently talking with Mrs Alley, the head of Administration, about using his family's people as security for the concert. Celeste herself was not strong enough to do any heavy lifting, so she was tasked by Mrs Alley to take inventory. That left me and a few other classmates to help the workmen haul the dismantled sets from the trucks to the main hall where the concert would be held. 

"No problem class rep," I tell Celeste, "I would not have abandoned you with all this work. What's up with Mrs Alley anyway? She looks like she could bite someone's head off."

Celeste replies with a shy smile, "Mrs Alley? She's upset because of the short notice. You remember that teacher we met the other night? Mr Greer? Apparently all this is his fault."

"Mr Greer? Come to think about it, I never see him around during the day. Does he actually work at the Academy?" I ask Celeste. I know Mr Greer has an official position here, but its odd that he is always absent. 

Celeste leans in conspiratorially and whispers, "The rumor floating around the student council is that Mr Greer has powerful friends at the Academy, and Mrs Alley was forced to hire him. Since he knows that Mrs Alley cannot fire him anyway, he basically does whatever he likes and does not show up for work."

Is that how it is? No wonder I got that weird vibe from Mr Greer. He's not a professional teacher and not bothering to present himself as one either.

Celeste makes a circular motion with her finger, continuing, "All this rush was caused by Mr Greer ordering the delivery of the materials at short notice and rushing the concert to be held quickly. Mr Trietel is really unhappy but he was badgered into going along by Mr Greer. After setting such a tight schedule, Mr Greer just dumped everything onto Mrs Alley's lap and disappeared again. No one has seen him for the past few days."

"That's pretty irresponsible." I frown, "Will things really be alright like this?"

The smile on Celeste's face returns and she says cheerfully, "It will be tough, but with everyone's help, we can do it! And no one has worked harder than Tensei. I am really grateful you came because I asked." 

Celeste suddenly grabs my hands with hers and squeezes them tight. "I still have things to do here. Goodnight Tensei."

"Goodnight. See you tomorrow." I reply. 

....

I walk back to my room at the dorms, enjoying the night air. Whew. I going to have to fix myself a big dinner after all that work. Is there still time to hit the store?

I breath catches. A sudden shift in the pressure around me. 

I quickly drop and roll as a pebble whizzes above, barely missing my head. The pebble drills into a nearby tree, wedging itself deep into the bark. Getting back up to my feet, I enter a fighting stance and focus my spirit. I extend my senses, probing the shadows around me. Who could it be? Assassins sent by my family? I allow my spirituality to flow through every part of my body, hardening the skin and bones. 

A blurred figure emerges from the darkness and rushes towards me, clawed hand slashing towards my neck. My left hand snaps out in a block, deflecting the attack, while my right makes a jab. The figure twists like the wind, easily avoiding my counterattack. The claw smoothly retracts and flies outwards towards me again, this time aiming for my crotch. I lift my right leg up in a block and the claw strikes my knee, drawing sparks. 

I send my spirit surging through my arms. The power concentrates at the tips my fingers and they extend and sharpen into claws of my own. I then surge my core, moving my spiritual energy as I had been taught. I mentally mouth the casting mantra. 

The weakest tide can wear down even the strongest mountain.

The tide goes in, the tide goes out. Attack and retreat. Wear your opponent down. 

The Relentless Tide.

My body rushes forward like a wave and I swing at my opponent.  The figure disdainfully bats aside my attacks and aims any claw strike at my neck. Before it can land, my body is pulled backwards by the force of my spell, and the attack hits nothing but empty space. Gathering up my strength, I surge forward again with another attack which slams squarely into a block made by my opponent. I hear a grunt of surprise and my opponent takes a few steps back. 

Time to take you down. I gather my energy one more time as my body retreats and bolt forward in a final explosive rush. The figure stands it ground this time and flexes its claws. We both lash out at the same time, meeting strength for strength. 

Then my whole world goes upside down and I am sent rolling in the grass. The clawed hand descends towards my head, my opponent victorious. I shut my eyes and feel ...

... a head pat?

...

"Master, what are you doing here?" I ask after getting back up on my feet. A pretty red head with cat eyes and cropped hair stands before me, dressed in a casual khaki outfit. The claws on her hands retract and fade away as she brushes off the grass that had been scattered on my clothes.

"I had to punish my bad student for leading an innocent girl on back at the school." Master responds as she adjusts my clothes. She wags a finger at me accusingly, "If you asked her to jump into bed with you I am sure she would have. Are you willing to take responsibility for that poor girl Tensei?" 

"What you mean Celeste? You were there as well Master?" I ask excitedly. This was the first time I had seen Master in years ever since leaving Uncle's home. Rose told me she left Uncle's place as well. What is Master doing here?

Master flicks me on the forehead, "Answer the question."

"Well, of course I would take responsibility! If things went that far of course ..." my voice trails off as I rub the back off my head in embarrassment. I was not leading Celeste on, was I? How did Master get that impression?

Master laughs and nudges me in the ribs, "Just joking, bad student of mine. So how is life treating you?"

"Oh, not too bad. I live much more freely without Uncle's family around and the Naibergs are nice people. Soon I will be independent as well, so I cannot really complain." I say.

Master looks at me strangely for a moment before asking, "The Naibergs? They have a daughter right?"

I nod happily and start telling Master about my time living with Sera and how we both enrolled in the Academy together.  

Master is silent for a moment before asking, "After you graduate, where will you go? Have you thought about that?"

I shake my head, "Not really. But I want to have the chance to do my own thing, you know?"

Master then looks straight at me and queries, "What about Rose?" 

"I will always support her of course, no matter what her choices are." I reply firmly. 

Master does not break her gaze on me and finally laughs, "I suppose that's the best answer possible. Sorry about getting all weird like that."

"So what is going on with you Master? I heard from Rose you are body guarding a rich family right?" I say. 

Master takes a deep breath and responds, "Actually that's why I am here in The City. My employer is here on business and because of a personal tragedy. It got me thinking you know, that we can never take something for granted, how things can change so quickly."

"What happened?" I ask. 

Master shakes her head, "Sorry. Client confidentiality. And I didn't mean to burden you with my own musings. Sorry about that as well. But at least you have grown stronger since we last trained. Did you manage to solve the issue with your spirit core?"

I shake my head, "Nah. It just grew stronger on its own again." 

Both of us stand side by side admiring the moon suspended in the cloudless sky. Music sounds from the distance as the orchestra begins yet another set of last minute rehearsals.

"Tensei, Master has a lesson she wants to teach you." Master says dreamily to me. 

I turn to look at her as she stands in the moonlight, a gentle smile playing on her face. "Yes Master?" I murmur awestruck. Was Master always this beautiful?

Master grasps both my hands in hers and we begin moving together in tune with the music, "A man must know how to dance. If not, how are you going to show off at your wedding?"

And so the two of us danced the night away, beneath the moon.  

27