The Mystery of The Disappearing Sister
794 2 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nicholas delivers another double handed blow, sending me back down into the mud. A burning sensation spreads across my chest as he rakes his claws across it, drawing blood. I reflexively lash out with my legs, catching Nicholas by surprise and sending him sprawling backwards, giving me the opportunity to get back on my feet. 

"Why? Why are you doing this? At least tell me that!" I shout as the rain pours down on both of us.

Nicholas steadies himself, spreading his legs to keep his balance on the slick, wet grass. His eyes flick to the side, following the noises from the battle between my friends and that vampire. I hear a cry of pain from Ms Scott, but I can't get distracted now. Dealing with Nicholas needs all my attention. Rescuing my family is what matters. 

Nicholas snaps, "I told you already, I came to take my sister back home. Where she belongs, which is certainly not here with you!"

I charge at Nicholas and both of us clash inconclusively before withdrawing again. "Uncle approves of Rose coming to The City." I say, "Who are you to stop her?"

"Don't you dare hide behind Papa!" Nichoas roars and bull rushes at me. I am bowled off my feet and Nicholas lands heavily on me, raising his fists to strike. I raise my arms in preparation to block.

"You were never part of our family!" Nicholas shouts as his fist slams against my arms, "Papa thinks I am a disappointment, that I am unworthy. He thinks you will make a better steward for Uncle Abe's property. But I know the truth, you are just a pawn dancing on someone's strings.  You'll lead the entire House to ruin!"

My strength surges and I throw Nicholas off me. Is Nicholas talking about the P5's involvement with me? But none of that is my fault. 

"I already told Uncle that I'm not interested in the property," I say softly to Nicholas, "He can disinherit me anytime he wants and I won't fight it."

Nicholas glares and snarls back at me, "Liar. You say that, but we both know that Papa will never disinherit you as long as Rose sees you as a safe refuge. Rose thinks she can escape from her responsibilities by hiding behind you, but you'll eventually doom her, just like you'll doom the rest of us. I do what I do today to save my sister and to save my family. If you truly see her as family, then you'll stand down now and let us leave."

I square my shoulders and shoot back, "Never. Rose came to me for support, to avoid a marriage that you intend to force on her. I won't let you take Rose's freedom away from her. I won't let you turn her into something to be bartered away!"

Nicholas roars in fury, his core blazing, "Then I'll defeat you tonight, and no one will have anything further to say about the matter. Papa will have no doubts about my strength as his successor and Rose will stop harboring those pointless fantasies. And once everyone sees you beaten into the dirt, your wish of being disinherited will be granted!"

Never. I will never accept what you are saying Nicholas. I will never allow you to make Rose cry again! My spirit core cries out in unison with me, and it releases a massive blast of power.

I feel liquid heat bursting throughout my spirit core, as if an invisible wall was being broken down. Fresh strength fills up arms and legs. My spirituality, now far purer, far more potent, circulates easily throughout my body, erasing all sense of fatigue and injury. I am not just restored to my peak, I am beyond my previous peak.

Nicholas stands, mouth agape, his composure broken by the sudden wave of spiritual energy. I dash at him and deliver a kick which he quickly blocks. But as my foot makes contact with his arm, I feel the bone give way. Nicholas staggers backwards, his face twisted in a mixture of pain and surprise. Nicholas's arms drop to his side and he leaves himself completely open. A second kick from me sends him flying into the massive doors of the manor's entrance, which he plows through like a makeshift wrecking ball. Nicholas attempts to stand, but a trickle of blood flows from his mouth and he slumps back with a groan into the pile of splintered wood. 

I rush forwards towards the now open doorway of the manor, but the vampire blinks in front of me, blocking my way. Her hand snaps out, grabbing me by the shirt and easily lifting me up. I hear cries of alarm and running feet coming from my friends behind me. With both my feet dangling helplessly in the air, I manifest my claws and bend downwards, taking a swing at the vampire's face. The vampire makes a surprised cry of pain and throws me backwards while clutching her face.

I crash back onto the muddy ground. Sera and Ken reach my aside and quickly help me back up to my feet. Ms Scott stands between us and the vampire while summoning another spirit sword, limping and breathing heavily from an injury suffered during the fight. The vampire faces us again, the wound I had inflicted already healed, leaving behind a faint scar on her face. 

All four of us rush towards the vampire at once and she meets us head on. We may not be able to get the upper hand, but with Nicholas and his helpers out of commission, both sides are evenly matched. The vampire is also hindered by her apparent concern for Nicholas. She does not dare stray far from his body, refusing to follow up attacks or pursue if it means leaving Nicholas vulnerable to one of us. In this way we slowly close in on the manor's entrance, but are no closer to finding a way past its determined defender.

All of a sudden, we hear a series of loud animal howls coming over the thunderstorm from somewhere deeper within the manor's grounds. The vampire's impassive expression immediately changes upon hearing this noise and there is now a trace of fear and worry on her face. She immediately breaks off all her attacks against us to pick up Nicholas and attempts to flee through the manor. 

Before the vampire can pick up enough speed, Sera whispers a spell, sending her saber flying from her hand. The weapon arcs through the air and stabs unerringly through the vampire before wedging itself into the floor, impaling our opponent against it. Our opponent struggles to free herself as blood begins to pool around her feet.  

As we begin to close in on the vampire, our advance this time is halted by a pained, tortured howl echoing throughout the manor. Its as if there is a dying animal somewhere on the premises. The expression on the vampire's face becomes grim and she swings her foot hard against the tip of the saber's blade, snapping it. The vampire then picks up Nicholas again and runs off at full speed towards the rear of the manor, Sera's saber still stuck through her body. 

By the time we find our way to the empty field at the rear of the manor, the vampire is loading Nicholas into a helicopter hovering just off the ground, while casting her gaze desperately about, clearly looking for something. I glance about the field, and blanch when I spot the carcass of a massive wolf that had been beaten into a bloody piece of meat. I hear Ms Scott gasp in surprise at the sight as well while Ken and Sera are too tired to react. Was there someone else that was here at the manor as well? Who could have done this?

Ms Scott shouts at the vampire, "Where is Ms von Amsterg? Where are you hiding her?"

The vampire grimaces as she pulls Sera's saber out of her body and tosses it to the side. I hear the sounds of police sirens getting closer. 

The vampire gestures at the wolf carcass and replies, "Ask whoever did that." She then boards the helicopter and it flies away into the night. 

Does that mean someone else kidnapped Rose while we were fighting? Panic fills my heart. Was all we did for nothing?

Ms Scott grabs me by the shoulder and squeezes reassuringly. "Don't panic," she tells me, "reinforcements are coming. We will find Rose, I promise."

I nod. I can only hope for the best now. 

26