Night Drive Discussion
769 6 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I quickly retrieve my sword from the muddy ground and tuck Trietel's flogging rod under my armpit. Taking one last glance at Trietel's corpse to make sure he won't be coming back for round two, I lift Brocon's inert body on my shoulder and run towards the perimeter wall. Trietel may be dead, but his spirituality was still clogging up Brocon's spiritual nimbus. More worryingly, Brocon showed no signs of waking from whatever funk Trietel had put her into. 

Gathering my strength, I cross the perimeter wall with a single leap and land lightly by the side of the main road. Looking up into the sky, I see in the distance the lights of a helicopter rapidly approaching the manor. Just as I am worrying about running out of time, the black cab emerges from the darkness and comes to a stop in front of me. Breathing a sigh of relief, I hurriedly load Brocon into the rear seat before climbing on-board myself and shutting off the artificial core. 

"Mission accomplished," The Voice congratulates as the cab cruises away from the manor, "yet another blow has been struck against Fate and the Hero's destiny has been put back on its proper track. Even now I sense Fate's power weakening. Keep this up Transmigrator, and we will clear Fate out of the Crossroads in no time at all."

"That's all well and good," I reply, "but what are we supposed to do about Brocon? I hope you don't expect me to smuggle her into the Hero's dorm so that they can get busy."

The Voice remains silent, as if considering what I had just said. 

"That was a joke by the way." I clarify, "Please don't tell me that you are seriously going to take up that suggestion." 

The Voice rasps, "Of course not. I was merely checking Heroine von Amsterg's vital signs and determining the next course of action. I need to bring her to the abandoned store so that I can remove the foreign spiritual matter from her body. While not life threatening, left unattended, it may damage her spiritual core." 

"Great," I wheeze painfully, the damage from the battle with Trietel finally catching up with me, "so who is going to bring her back to the Academy then? Obviously I can't do it, since that would endanger the Greer identity."

The Voice pauses for a moment, reflecting on what I had just said, before replying, "Mrs Alley has been released from outpatient and has given her statement to the police. She should be back at the Administration Wing tomorrow. Get in touch with her when she is at the office and ask her to make the proper arrangements."

"We have been relying a lot on Alley lately, you sure that it is safe?" I query. 

"Obviously I cannot guarantee her absolute loyalty," The Voice rumbles, "but her performance tonight speaks volumes. She, at her own risk, fought Mr Trietel in order to protect one of the Heroines. At the very least, we can be sure that Mrs Alley is not one of Fate's lackeys."

As The Voice is talking, a large number of police cars roar past the cab in the direction of the manor, most probably the reinforcements Big Tits requested. That confirms it then. We have met our win condition and the danger is over. For now at least. 

"So, you want to tell me anything about what Trietel was saying just now?" I ask The Voice as the cab hits the highway and makes its way back to the Dreaming Spires District.

"Speak plainly Transmigrator," The Voice says, "I have little patience for coyness. Especially since acting coy only works if you are an attractive young lady, something you most certainly are not."

Oof. I had forgotten that The Voice had a taste for face slapping. "Alright. I'll get straight to the point. What's the deal with that Tyrant and goddess talk Trietel kept going about when we were fighting?" I query. 

The Voice makes a grunt of dissatisfaction before replying, "As you may have guessed, "the goddess" is an affection that Fate has adopted, an empty boast, no more. From my experience, Fate is many things, but a goddess is not one of them. As for Trietel's ravings about a Tyrant, I assume that is just propaganda Fate has fed to her gullible minions in order to smear my good name."

I raise my eyebrows upon hearing The Voice's reply and say, "Sounds like you and Fate have a history. Mind sharing a little?"

"Its really nothing much," The Voice rasps, "Fate is not the first pretender to the mantle of true god that I have faced, though its certainly the most persistent and troublesome. We have crossed metaphorical swords several times in the past and I admit that at one point I was on the losing end of things. Nevertheless, I managed to reassert my position and this world remains under my control, as it should be."

So my guess way back when I was first summoned was right. The Voice had gotten itself bitch slapped. That's also a pretty arrogant attitude you have there Voice, claiming that ruling this world is your right. 

"What makes you think that you have the right to rule this world?" I bristle, "Don't the people of this world have a say in the matter?"

"Of course not," The Voice rumbles and from its tone I can imagine it rolling its eyes at my question, "do chickens and cows have a right to dispute who owns them? Do you, Transmigrator, ask a chicken whether it is willing to sacrifice itself for your dining pleasure? Of course you don't. Just as you don't dispute that a farmer or rancher has the right to their own property. I rule this world because this world and everything in it is literally my property."

I narrow my eyes and shoot back, "Including me?"

The Voice replies, "Not you. You are the property of your world's Administrator that I have managed to steal away."

I am left completely speechless at The Voice's shameless response. Well, its consistent in its convictions at least. 

The Voice notices my inner turmoil, and speaks to me in a conciliatory tone, "I understand that what I am saying can be hard to accept, but what I am describing is just how things are. You did not realize it before because the Administrator of your world never bothered with communicating with its subjects. Now that you are working in my direct employ, you have the privilege of seeing and experiencing the actual mechanics of how a world is run. Your blinkers have come off, as it were."

I sigh tiredly and respond, "You could at least make an effort to pretend, you know? I know that most leaders don't remotely give a shit about the people they lead, but they do make the right noises on the right occasions. Take Alley for instance, she thinks that she is subject to blackmail from a criminal organization and resists any instruction I give her. Whereas Trietel was all hopped up on zeal and righteousness. See the difference? I know you can't communicate to the locals, but don't you think a change in approach is needed here? If you keep treating people like chickens and cows, you're not going to get much out of them."

"I see. A fair point. What is your suggestion then Transmigrator?" The Voice asks.

"You could reward Alley with your god powers, even if its just spawning her a briefcase of cash. It would do wonders for her attitude towards us." I suggest. 

The Voice ruminates for a moment and finally says, "Very well. While I am loathe to do any favors for the natives of this world, you make a good case. I shall prepare a proper reward for Mrs Alley's service."

Loathe to do any favors? Sounds like the locals somehow managed to piss off The Voice in the past and its still holding a grudge. I am sensing that there is a lot more to The Voice's talk about being the "rightful" ruler of this world than its chosen to let on. Wonder what it could be. 

"Is there a story behind that loathing?" I probe. 

The Voice simply carries on driving in silence until it reaches the abandoned store.  "Unload Heroine von Amsterg. Both of you will rest here tonight." The Voice says curtly. 

Yep. Definitely a story. One of these days, I'll get it out of you. 

26