Powerful Determination
840 2 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"When I said that I wanted to speak to Tensei, I meant in private Sera." Ms Scott grumbles to Sera as she surveys the crowd that had packed themselves into the private ward. Ken, with his arm in a sling, sniggers quietly to himself from his corner of the room. Sera quickly shoots him a death glare before going back to looking contrite before Ms Scott. 

"Madam, I felt that since everyone here is somehow involved in the matter, there would be no harm done." Sera explains. 

Ms Scott points at Master and states, "Well, I have no idea who that is. And I know that Celeste has nothing to do with this. No offence, Celeste." Celeste nods apologetically at Ms Scott while Master offers a smug grin in response. Ms Scott with an annoyed look on her face shakes her head at Master while grimacing in pain from her wounds. 

"Well, Celeste was hurt in the attack on the Academy," I protest, "and Master helped us out by fighting off Nicholas's people. So everybody is a friend here right?"

Ms Scott frowns, "Master?"

Master steps forward and addresses Ms Scott, "Violet Chance, I was Tensei's instructor during his days staying with his uncle. Now I am body guarding Kira here on instructions from her management. And you would be ...?"

Ms Scott sighs and gives in, "I suppose there's no hiding it now. You may call me Inspector Scott of the Special Operations Police. I was ordered to keep Tensei safe during his stay in The City."

So Nicholas was telling the truth. The police had sent a minder to keep watch over me. From being a prisoner at uncle's home to being a prisoner of SOPO. Was Sera ordered to befriend me as well? Will I ever be free? The annoyance in my heart begins to build but just as I am about to call Ms Scott, no, Inspector Scott out, she turns to me with a severe look in her eyes. 

"Well done on defeating Nicholas the other night Tensei, but you have just made things much more complicated for yourself." she says. Rose immediately raises her voice in protest and everyone immediately joins in, causing the whole ward to descend into chaos. Inspector Scott desperately tries to get everyone's attention while Sera goes back to hitting the wall. Above it all, Master laughs merrily while lighting up a cigarette. 

Once Inspector Scott manages to get everyone to quiet down, she continues, "What I am about to tell you all will be made public soon, but until then, please keep it zipped." Everyone nods solemnly in response. Inspector Scott then plucks the cigarette from Master's mouth and puts it out. Master pouts but does not say anything. Confirming one more time that everyone's attention is on her, Inspector Scott continues. 

"Nicholas has returned to Europe and has concluded a meeting with the Infernal Conclave. Within the next few days, he is going to issue a public statement saying that he supports the Legion's historical territorial claims." Inspector Scott says. 

Almost everyone looks about with bewildered expressions, completely lost as to the significance of what Inspector Scott is saying. Master however has an almost indiscernible frown on her face. Surprisingly, Ken is nodding quietly to himself, as if he has some inkling about what exactly is going on. 

"Ken? What are you thinking?" I ask. 

Ken snaps out of his reverie and replies, "I don't know everything, but I heard the old man talking about something like this concerning our turf as well. He was saying that it could stop the Host from encroaching no matter what the Council said." After pausing for a moment to glare at Celeste, Ken continues, "The other old guys that hang out with Dad didn't seem to like the idea though. No idea why. They were saying that this idea should only be used as a last resort."

Master pipes up, "Who put Nicholas up to this? No way he has the balls to perform this stunt without someone backing him."

Inspector Scott replies, "Marshal Yvonne St Clair was the one who brought Nicholas to the Conclave. The P5 thinks that all this was her idea."

I look at Rose and she shakes her head at me, completely confused at what Inspector Scott and Master are saying. I raise my hand and protest, "Could someone actually explain what is going on here?"

Inspector Scott and Master share a glance before turning to regard us both. "You were their tutor. You want to handle this?" Inspector Scott asks Master. 

Master shrugs and looks at Rose and I, "Pay attention bad students. Master is going to give you a crash course in history."

...

Master clears her throat and begins, "As my bad students already know, they descended from the first batch of demons that showed up on earth. The Iron Octopus guys. Those were the days when demons kicked so much ass. North, south, east, west. No matter where you looked, you just couldn't escape our awesomeness. We were really going to win it you know. If not for-"

Inspector Scott noisily clears her throat, cutting Master off. 

Master stops her narration for a moment to collect her thoughts before continuing, "Right. Fast forward to the end of the war and we had the Iron Octopus government overthrown by a new German government correct? Peace treaties were signed, once conquered territories were handed back, everyone was supposed to live happily ever after."

"Only problem is, the Iron Octopus cut a deal with the Legion when they asked for support. Territory conquered by demons would be handed over to the Legion with local governors doing the actual legwork in the meantime. Meaning that when the new German government signed back those conquered territories, they were handing over stuff that didn't actually belong to them."

"When the Legion showed up on earth, they refused to acknowledge the treaties signed by the new German government and demanded the return of their territory. These are the historical claims Nicholas has been talking about. Claims that include your inheritance, Tensei." Master stops here, giving me a significant look. 

I frown, complaining, "I still don't get it."

Inspector Scott takes over the explanation, "What your Master is saying is that the Legion is claiming all land previously conquered by the Iron Octopus as its territory, regardless of present day fact. This includes all of your Uncle's lands since the von Amsterg territory was founded during the Iron Octopus Crisis. By supporting the Legion's claims, Nicholas is signalling that he is willing to handover all of Gustav's land to the Legion in exchange for being recognized as the rightful heir and granted the position of governor. Our guess is that the Legion has already accepted the proposal and is just waiting for Nicholas to lock himself in with the press statement."

Rose jumps to her feet and shouts, "Father will never accept this! Nicholas is crazy if he thinks that this plan would succeed!"

Master shakes her head, "Gustav can't openly defy the Conclave on this. The historical claims are a red line for the Legion, they will never formally renounce these territories. If he shuts Nicholas down, the Legion would immediately withdraw their recognition of him as prince of Europe. The consequences would be far more severe than what Gustav is willing to deal with."

"Which brings us back to you Tensei." Inspector Scott says, "You're Gustav's only hope of keeping Nicholas at bay. As long as you can inherit from your father and keep his noble line alive, the Legion will not be able to completely annul the princedom of Europe. Gustav's people will have a chance of living free, instead of being pawns in whatever scheme Nicholas has bought into."

"How about Rose? Can't she do the exact same thing as well?" I protest. 

Inspector Scott responds, "Rose's to be married out of the family right? To the Haqims I heard. That automatically disqualifies her from inheriting the princedom from Gustav, and by extension, the family land."

Rose grabs my hand and holds it tight. I understand. To secure her freedom, I cannot run away from fighting Nicholas. 

"Who is this Marshal anyway?" I ask Inspector Scott. 

"We met her the other night at the manor. You remember that vampire? That's her." Inspector Scott says. 

I blink in surprise. A young girl is a marshal of the Legion? Its hard to believe. 

"She's much older than she looks. So don't get any ideas." Sera quickly cuts in. 

I rub the back of my head and smile ruefully, "All this is a lot to take in."

Sera smiles and says, "You're not alone Tensei. I'm here for you, no matter what."

Kira happily smiles, "Me too! You helped me before, so I won't let you face all this by yourself. I know some of the higher ups in the Host. They can probably throw some support your way."

Ken smirks, "The fight has started, and I'm not going to back out now. I'm with you, whether you like it or not."

Master's grin becomes so broad that it looks like its about to split her face into two, "My bad student is facing a powerful foe. He will need ... special training."

"Which will be provided by SOPO." Inspector Scott immediately interrupts, "Don't you have a job of your own to do anyway?" Master just sticks her tongue out at Inspector Scott in response. 

"I can't do much, but I will try my best as well Tensei!" says Celeste with her tiny fists balled up and a determined look on her face. 

Rose squeezes my hand again and smiles in gratitude. 

My precious friends. I would not be here without them. And with them by my side, I am sure that we would be able to face anything. 

 

23