The Power of Friendship
618 5 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I refuse to be believe it." Ken says with a stony face, "My family would never do anything like that."

Sera responds in a slightly smug tone, "Just like they did not attack those other building sites? So I suppose those jokers we arrested were all impersonators?"

Celeste looks close to tears as she apologizes, "I'm sorry! This is all my fault! I never intended to leak news of the upcoming operation. Can we just forget about it and eat the cake?"

I stare at the scene dumbfounded. Its just after yet another training session, this time held at the Academy's gymnasium. I had just finished my after practice shower when I walked into an argument unfolding in  front of me. To think this altercation between my friends started all because of some cake. While I am still trying to get my head around this turn of events, Irene tries to get the situation under the control. 

"Thank you for the cake, Celeste." Irene says gently, "Its delicious. And I appreciate your gesture as well. But how did you know that I would be involved in an operation against the Matsuis?"

"So its true?" Ken exclaims and glares venomously at Irene. Sera frowns and lightly punches Ken in the gut causing him to grunt softly in pain. 

Celeste twiddles her index fingers together and looks down sadly, "I live in Six Trees you know, and Ken's family is based there. The rumor on the street is that everyone is going off to fight SOPO soon. The buses to take them out of Six Trees have already been rented. That's how I knew where and when Ken's family was going to be fighting. Then Ms Scott told us the other day that she would not be free to help with the training on that exact same date."

Irene nods, "So you put two and two together. You're quite the little detective Celeste. And a wonderful cook. Your husband will be very lucky to have such a talented wife." Irene fondly ruffles Celeste's hair and Celeste blushes shyly. 

Celeste smiles again and responds, "I just wanted to wish you well Inspector. You're fighting for all of us in Six Trees." I give Ken a reassuring squeeze on the shoulder as the veins in his head begin to bulge from anger. 

"Could someone back things up a little?" Rose asks, "I've no idea what is going on here. Why is there cake by the way?" Having just come out from the shower, Rose has no clue as to what in the world is going on right now. The contradictory presence of cake and a brewing quarrel must have gotten her pretty confused. 

Sera answers, "Ken's just not happy that more of his family is about to be arrested soon." I have to restrain Ken from trying to hit Sera because of that verbal jab. Sera just smirks haughtily at Ken, relishing in his discomfort. Celeste looks crestfallen that the argument had been stirred up once again while I desperately turn to Irene for support. 

"Sera, please." Irene delivers a reprimand, "You are not helping matters. Eat some cake." 

Sera frowns at this dismissal but obligingly starts nibbling on a slice of the cake Celeste brought. Ken looks a little mollified at this display and directly asks Irene, "What's the deal then? What is really going on?" 

Irene folds her arms and states, "Celeste guessed correctly Ken. Your family is planning a big move against a Host linked housing project. I don't know who put your family up to it, but it doesn't matter at the end of the day. Security for that project was handed over to SOPO, and we are not going to roll over for the Matsuis."

"The old man never told me anything about this." Ken protests. 

I take the opportunity to speak, "Is SOPO sending you as well, Irene?"

Irene affirms grimly, "Yup. We heard that the Matsuis are going all in on this raid, so SOPO cannot afford to hold back. SOPO HQ have called in almost all available officers for this operation. RAU troops are going to be dispatched as well. I have been ordered to lead the joint task force during the attack itself."

Ken abruptly breaks free from my grip and charges straight at Irene. We all feel the sudden change in pressure as Ken surges his spirit core and his fist flies forward towards Irene's face like a bullet. Irene does not flinch and calmly raises her own hand, easily catching Ken's fist with her open palm. With a quick twist of her wrist, Irene then sends Ken sprawling on to the floor. 

"I am going to ignore that," Irene tells Ken, "because I know what you are going through right now. You are not helping your family's case though."

Amazing. I may be getting stronger quickly, but there is no way I could beat Ken so easily and quickly. Irene really does live up to all the gold braid on her uniform. Ken flushes with embarrassment and looks down, completely despondent. I hurriedly move to help Ken up. Ken may have been wrong to attack Irene, but his heart is in the right place. He just needs to cooperate with rather than antagonize Sera and Irene. 

"Let Ken and I come with you then." I suggest to Irene. 

Sera immediately protests, "How does that make sense? What do you think the two of you will accomplish? Are the two of you going to talk down the entire Matsui family?"

Irene regards me calmly, "Sera is right, Tensei. There is not much you can do under these circumstances. Just focus on your training and let SOPO do its job."

Rose pipes up, "Tensei, if you get hurt, who will be with me then? Don't do this. Stop acting recklessly."

"We can help." I insist, "Ken, you said that your family would never do anything like this, right?"

"Yes." Ken confirms without hesitation, "We would never do something so dishonorable, hurting people who had done us no wrong."

"That means an external force is compelling your family to act this way." I say, "Your position as heir to the family means something right?"

Ken smiles and clenches his fist, "Yeah, my word still means something to those guys. Between me and the outsider that is pulling the strings, the boys would respect whatever I'm saying far more. I am confident that I can get a large proportion of the enforcers to back off." 

"Is that so?" Rose asks doubtfully. 

"I don't know whether you noticed," Ken answers, "but I did get lots of my family over to protect the Academy on the night you were kidnapped, princess. So yeah, pretty sure I still got sway in the family."

Irene mumbles to herself, conflicted, "Getting people to stand down without fighting would certainly be helpful."

Sera immediately protests, "Madam! You cannot be serious. There is no guarantee that this half-baked idea will work."

Celeste raises her hand and speaks in her demure voice, "I think its a good idea. Ken and Tensei should go with Ms Scott."

Sera barks in surprise, "What? Why? I thought you hated Ken. Why are you speaking up for him?"

Celeste plays with the bow of her uniform as she replies, "I hate the Matsuis. They bullied the people living in Six Trees just because they are strong. But Ken kept his word not to hurt me. I think underneath all his macho posturing, Ken is trying to be a good person. Just like I'm sure there are good people in his family as well. If we gave them a chance to do the right thing, I'm sure that they will do it! Right, Tensei?"

"Yes. That's right." I reply to Celeste, "We were wrong about Ken at first, and now he's our friend."

Irene thinks for a moment and says, "Alright. Ken can come with me, but Tensei, you will be staying here with Rose. Sera will be protecting both of you while I am away."

Celeste raises her hand again and we hear the demure voice, "Tensei has to go with Ken. Ken is going to stand against his own family. He needs the support of his best friend, otherwise he may be pressured to give up on the plan."

Ken scowls slightly but nods, "I'm no coward, but I'd appreciate it if you came with me Tensei. Its not going to be emotionally easy for me to tell the guys to back off just like that. Especially if I show up on SOPO's side of the line. I just need you to have my back. You don't need to do anything else."

"Behind you all the way." I pat Ken on the back. 

Rose then asks, "What about Kira? Doesn't Tensei need to meet up with her for whatever help the Host is going to provide?"

"I already spoke to Kira." I say, "She told me that preparations will take some time and that she will contact me once she is ready. That's the reason why Kira has not been coming over recently."

"Well, I suppose I can't object based on that." Rose mutters sulkily as she withdraws from the argument. 

Irene takes one more look at all of us and says, "Then its decided. Sera, you stay here at the Academy and protect Rose. Tensei and Ken are with me. I'll give you two the details of when to meet up with me at SOPO HQ later. We will ride to the building site together and join up with the task force there."

"When is the fight going to take place?" I ask. 

"Two days time." Irene says, "So get yourselves rested up." 

Celeste begins to hand out slices of the cake with a smile, "Now everyone, lets dig in!"

I raise my slice of cake in faux toast and Ken joins me. Two days time. We can stop this madness, I'm sure of it. 

18