Under An Indifferent Sky
611 8 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The snow falls outside as if nothing had happened in the last few days. As if Hernandez had not killed all of my colleagues and friends. As if I've not spent the time running and hiding. As if Tensei had not publicly humiliated me in front of everyone. A patrol of ORPO mecha begins lumbering down the road towards the abandoned apartment I had hidden myself in. I duck back down under the window and close my eyes out of exhaustion. 

Its too much. Maybe I should just go out there and surrender myself. At least in jail it would be warm for a change. I never thought that one day I would sink to this state. Alone and homeless. I had managed to change out of my SOPO uniform by breaking into a boutique. That escapade also solved my money problems for a while, but I really am at the end of my rope here. I can't keep this up. ORPO is everywhere and I have almost no one that I can count on. 

The first thing I did was try to return to my home. The ORPO patrol hanging out in my neighborhood put an end to that plan very quickly. So that left running and hiding in the corners of The City, trying to get back to the Academy. Trying to get back to Tensei. 

A cautious knocking sound comes from the entrance of the apartment. My hackles rise as the door slowly opens, revealing a dainty figure carrying several bags creeping in. 

"Inspector Scott?" a demure voice whispers, "Are you there?"

"Celeste?" I whisper back and get up from the floor to meet her in the apartment's living area. Celeste quickly walks towards me and sets the bags she is carrying down.

"Inspector, I got you food and warm clothes." Celeste says, "The TV said that its going to start snowing really heavily soon. You need to bundle up."

As Celeste opens one of the bags, the scent of freshly roasted chicken causes my mouth to water. My own apprentice and lover have abandoned me, while a mere acquaintance is treating me with such kindness. I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the absurdity of it all. I hungrily begin chewing on the chicken Celeste presents to me while she smiles at me serenely. 

"I saw ORPO moving out when I was on my way here." Celeste says, "They seem to be gathering at Ascension Tower. We should be able to leave this place soon."

"Celeste, thank you for helping me." I slowly mumble, my feelings threatening to overflow.

"Its no problem!" Celeste replies, "You were in such a terrible state when I came upon you in that back alley. I'm sure Tensei and the rest would have done the same thing."

A dagger stabs savagely in my heart and I put the food down as a sour sensation spreads throughout me. 

"Yes, they would, wouldn't they?" I say softly, trying to gather my thoughts, "Celeste, I've been thinking of giving myself up to ORPO."

"Inspector, no!" Celeste protests, "You said it yourself, you killed many of Hernandez's friends. He wouldn't let you off."

"Its just Irene now." I reply tiredly, "I'm Inspector of nothing. And I can't hide forever. I might as well give myself up before I drag you down with me."

"Did something happen, Irene?" the demure voice asks with concern. 

"Adult stuff." I dismiss the question, "Not something you should concern yourself with. So after this, lets go to an ORPO station, OK?"

Celeste frowns and grabs me by the shoulders. Her bright guileless eyes bore deep into my soul. 

"Irene, look out of the window please." she requests. I do as Celeste says and see that the snowfall has become a snowstorm. What is she referring to?

"Up in the sky. See? Up in the sky." Celeste gently urges. 

I squint and see a series of dark, indistinct shapes flying in formation high in the sky. I can't clearly make them out though, the snowstorm is too heavy. 

"Birds?" I ask Celeste, lost at what she is trying to get at. 

"Mm. That's right." Celeste affirms, "No matter how hard things get, those birds keep flying because they have somewhere they need to be. Don't you have somewhere to be as well, Irene?"

"That's different." I protest. 

"How?" Celeste tilts her head innocently, "The snowstorm could kill those birds. Yet they fly against it, no matter what. They are strong because they have each other. You're not alone Irene. You have Tensei. I know its not worth much, but you have me as well. So let's do our best together, alright?"

Celeste's small, warm hands close around mine. She's so young, so powerless. Not a drop of magic runs through her veins. How can she still be so strong? I lift my head and find her calm face awaiting my response, not judging, not hurrying. Just there, waiting for me as long as it takes. 

The tears flow, and I pour my heart out. 

....

"Smart ass." Hernandez's hoarse voice is piped through the earpiece, "We are gathering at Ascension Tower. The P5 was thrown in a tizzy when they heard their golden boy was kidnapped by Mikey Mike. We have that angelic asshole over the barrel now."

I smirk, looking downwards from my vantage point. The formation of construction drones fly high in the sky against the raging snowstorm carrying the containers loaded at Welder's Bay. Like giant metal dragonflies, the drones grasp the containers between their iron legs, their wings beating furiously to keep aloft. I can see the lights of The City winking down in the distance, just past the curtain of snow. At the base of the Tower I see a crowd of men marching forward, backed by APCs and battle tanks. I stand on the container carried by the lead drone, my arms akimbo, feeling very heroic at the moment. 

After ORPO managed to absorb RAU and all their equipment, Hernandez managed to recover from the losses inflicted by SOPO during their last stand. Some skulls needed to be cracked to remind RAU where they stood now, but on the whole everyone got on with the program. That gave Hernandez the confidence to launch this raid directly against Ascension Tower itself. 

"I see you guys." I confirm to Hernandez, "I'll be dropping right on to the drone landing area. Let's do this."

"Yeah." Hernandez laughs, "You do your thing. We'll be raising some hell from where we are. Good luck. Remember, credit goes to ORPO for rescuing the von Amsterg kid."

"As you say, Commander." I respond before signing off. I take a deep breath of the cold air to steady myself. 

"Hey, do I look cool right now?" I ask The Voice.

"Yes." The Voice rasps as it pilots the drones towards Ascension Tower. 

"Wow, really?" I fist pump at the confirmation. 

"No." The Voice immediately rebuts, "I am just trying to bolster your confidence."

"Oh, screw you." I grumble, "Did you need to make the snowstorm so heavy? I get a mouthful of snow whenever I try to talk."

"It is to conceal our approach to the Tower." The Voice explains, "You are clear on what you need to do?"

"Yeah." I say, "Its just a tower defense scenario right? With us as the attackers."

The Voice rumbles, "Remember, the containers are the spawn points. I will engage the defenders while you prevent Castiel from destroying the containers. Attrition will carry the day for us."

"You sure you can handle this?" I ask slightly worried. 

"Nothing can stand in the way of infinity Transmigrator." The Voice declares confidently, "Castiel will learn the price of standing against this world's True Emperor."

"What? True Emperor?" I blank out for a moment, "You feeling fine there? No delusions or anything?"

"Oh, most certainly." The Voice reassures, "Its just that I am feeling rather nostalgic at the moment. I imagine Castiel is feeling the same way as well."

"Uh. I'm not sure I understand." I respond with my arm against my mouth, to keep the snow flurries out.

"Do not worry about it." The Voice rasps, "Let us just say that destiny has a sense of irony, to say the least."

The landing pad of the Tower comes into view and floodlights zero in on the drone formation. A siren is heard blaring from within the structure. I see men and women in suits rushing out to the landing pad, bearing assault rifles. The drones enter into a steep dive for their attack run. 

"The Judecca Militia is back." I remark blandly as gunfire explodes all around us. A rifle burst catches me on the chest and I distractedly brush away the bullets that pancaked against the trench coat. 

"Twenty seconds." The Voice says, "Brace for impact."

I bring up the grenade launcher and draw a bead on the defenders. Time to get this party started. 

Time to save ourselves. 

23