Ascendant of the All Father
475 7 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the distance, hovering high above the towers of bleached bone is a giant tent, sewn out of animal hide and kept aloft by a series of lanterns anchored across the tent's surface. Angels fly about on their radiant wings, tending to the burning braziers beneath the lanterns and occasionally manipulating the sails that allow the tent to catch the wind. 

"Wow!" the nameless servant breathes, "A Host sky home. Her Highness and I never got to see one while we were hiding out in the Land of Light."

Castiel frowns as he looks at the sky home drifting on its patrol route just over the horizon from where Salvation is located. Their small group had made the journey north by sea and then trekked inland on foot, guided by Enma. The former Prince had warned them that breaching the fog would alert the True Emperor to their presence, but Anri had felt the risk coming here was worthwhile. Castiel agreed at that time as well, but the presence of a sky home changed everything. 

A sky home's name is somewhat deceptive. While angels can and do use it as habitats, that is not the structure's real function. Its actual purpose was to be a mobile base for angel war bands, allowing the troops to move freely and support themselves even deep within enemy territory. Castiel had been part of a sky home war band at the height of the clan war, when the great houses of the Host feuded on whom would lead the Land of Light. Sky homes were incredibly expensive to make and immeasurably precious to the clan who owned them. For one to brave the great rift could only mean one thing. 

"The True Emperor sent them here." Castiel remarks, "Look closely boy. See the barges embarking from the sky home?"

The servant squints and sure enough, a series of open top barges disconnect from the sky home's moors, suspended in the air by a smaller yet similar set of lanterns. Each barge is piloted by a crew of angels, but the bulk of the space is taken up by figures clad entirely in black. The barges gradually drift downwards, towards the feet of the ruined glass towers that make up this mysterious city. 

"Blackguards!" the servant shouts in alarm, "How did they get here so quickly?"

Castiel folds his arms grimly, "The True Emperor must have demanded the Host supply him with one of the sky homes. It moves faster than any ship and can carry more soldiers than most. Thankfully, the True Emperor has chosen to rely solely on his Blackguards, so we will not be fighting any angels."

"And here I thought you had lost your balls." an obnoxious, jeering voice mocks from behind, "At least this time you will be doing something useful."

"Ah, Prince Enma!" the serving boy greets, "Is her Highness ready to leave? We still have time to escape." Enma emerges from the depths of Salvation and claps the serving boy on the shoulder with a smile while pointedly ignoring Castiel. 

Enma replies, "Anri is still in the Ascension Chamber. The process is not yet complete. But unlike a certain someone, I have faith in the gifts Salvation has provided us. Between the three of us, we can deal with the Blackguards."

Castiel scowls back, "Caution is not cowardice Prince Enma. Evading the Blackguards is safer for all of us, especially for milady. Besides, I recall someone hiding in his palace and begging for mercy before the late Sacred Executioner." Enma flushes as the serving boy rushes between the two men, physically keeping them apart. 

"Sir Castiel," the servant asks respectfully, "How long do you think we have before the Blackguards attack?"

Castiel closes his eyes, relieved to have something other than Enma's disgusting presence to focus on. After a moment's thought, he finally replies, "It would take the Blackguards around half an hour to make landfall from their barges. Then probably another hour to march here and surround the crater we are in before attacking. Not enough time for milady to complete her ascension."

"Wrong." Enma cuts in smugly, "Blackguards always summon more of their ilk before attacking any foe. For all their boasting and strength, Blackguards are at their core cowards. They will seek to thoroughly overwhelm their opponents through pure numbers. My guess is that they will take around an hour to summon the numbers they need before setting off to face us."

Castiel flushes in embarrassment but does not rebut Enma's analysis of the situation. Petty bickering is something the group does not need, now that things have become so dire. 

"Two and a half hours." the servant muses in his light innocent voice, "Is that enough time for her Highness to get her gift from Salvation?"

This time it is Enma's turn to look contrite, "Probably. It would be very close however. The process seems to be more complicated for Anri. Salvation is taking its time with her."

Castiel nods, "Then all we can do is wait and serve as milady's shield when the time comes. If anyone wants to run off into Salvation to cower, they are free to do so."

"Hmph. Speak for yourself." Enma shrugs as he squares his shoulders, "I am staying right here."

.....

"I can see them marching towards us Sir Castiel!" the servant shouts in alarm, as the stomping boots of the Blackguards churn up great dust clouds into the stagnant air. 

"You heard the boy milady." Castiel urges the veiled woman standing behind the group, "This plan has the highest possibility of success. Now go!"

"I won't run from the True Emperor, not anymore." Anri declares, "I can fight. Salvation showed me my real strength."

"Anri, stop being stubborn." Enma chimes in, "Salvation might have awakened something within you, but you didn't get divine powers like the rest of us. Stick with the plan so we can protect you."

"No! Enma you don't understand!" Anri cries in frustration, "None of you do!"

Castiel gently places both hands on Anri's shoulders and consoles, "Then milady, explain it to us after the battle and we will listen. Alright?" 

The veiled woman sighs in resignation and gives a neat bow to the assembled group, "Alright. Everyone, thank you for supporting me."

The serving boy runs up to Anri and tugs at her dress, "You remember the plan your Highness?"

The woman pats the servant fondly on his head and answers, "You will blind the True Emperor, then I will climb out of this crater right?"

Castiel takes up the thread, "Just so milady. Remember, run and hide among the pillars of bone. The Blackguards will rush forwards and try to overrun us once Enma and I begin to use our divine gifts."

The Princess frowns, looking at the servant, "What about you? Will you be joining me?"

"I need to stay here to keep the True Emperor blinded." the serving boy demurs. 

"Just get going Anri." Enma pats his chest confidently, "We'll handle things here."

Anri bunches her hands into fists and nods, before giving another bow, this one down to waist height. 

"Everyone, please stay safe!" Anri says, "Promise that we will meet each other again!" And with that she turns in the opposite direction and runs as fast as she can. 

.....

Sounds of battle echo from the the crater of Salvation, the noise reaching Anri as she huddles beneath the shadow of the bone towers, the dead bearing silent witness to the battle before them. In the distance, the Princess hears Castiel's war cry and a lick of greenish flame lashes the column of Blackguards charging forward. The numbers may appear overwhelming, but the gifts of Salvation has evened the odds a great deal. Anri clenches her fists in consternation. Forced to run from the True Emperor again. Will nothing ever change? Even if she survives this battle, what happens next? More running from place to place? Living like a hunted animal? 

No. Salvation has shown her the truth and given Anri her inheritance. The three worlds was never meant to be ruled by the True Emperor. He was a fake, just like his Blackguards were monsters that masquerade as men. The True Emperor was a mere pretender to the All Father's throne, ruling when his place was to serve. 

And it was up to her to cast the Tyrant down. 

"Enjoying the show?" a gravelly voice asks. 

As Anri starts in surprise, black clad figures emerge from the heights of the towers of bone, looming over her. The Blackguards draw their bows, aiming squarely at the Princess. Their captain, faceless and dressed in the same style as his men, tuts disapprovingly. 

"How unobservant." the Blackguard Captain reprimands, "Did you think we would commit all our forces in a single attack? This area was being swept by our scouts. We knew you were hiding here all along."

"How?" Anri questions, "The True Emperor has been blinded."

The Blackguard Captain blinks at this declaration before answering, "So that is what it was? I have no idea how you cut off our connection to the True Emperor, but we still have our own eyes girl. And we see you, as clear as day."

"So what happens now?" the Princess challenges.

"Now?" the Captain snorts, "You die obviously. Loose arrows!"

And with that command, a storm of arrows in unleashed, darkening the sky. Like a wave, the arrows slash unerringly towards their target, blotting her out of sight. 

"Job's done." the Captain grunts, "Signal the rest of the Blackguards to fall back. The abomination's collaborators can starve to death here for all I care."

"Uh, Sir?" a subordinate hesitantly says, "I think we missed."

Sure enough, standing in a ring of black feathered arrows is the Princess, glaring defiantly at her enemies, not a mark on her body. 

The Captain makes an irritated noise before shouting, "Loose! Loose arrows until she is dead!"

Volley after volley of arrows are fired at Anri, who stands not moving an inch from her spot. Yet again and again, the arrows miss their mark, falling impotently around her. Before long, the Blackguards exhaust their supplies of ammunition and stare at the Princess in disbelief. 

"What?" the Captain mutters. 

"The three worlds belongs to the All Father," the woman declares, "Not to you or your Tyrant."

"Rubbish!" the Captain barks, "Blackguards, draw your swords!" The ring of steel against scabbards surrounds Anri, but her eyes do not waver the slightest. 

"The All Father stood over all from his rightful throne, and I am his only descendant." the Princess declares, "The only pure bloodline that remains out of all the folk your Tyrant crippled. Salvation has awakened my blood and the world recognizes my rightful claim over it."

The Blackguards stop in their tracks, unsure what to do next. An uneasy silence settles over the towers of bone. 

"Nothing born from man nor forged by his hands can bring me harm." Anri declares, "Now come, face me if you dare!"

"Show no fear!" the Captain shouts, "For the glory of the True Emperor! Attack!"

And so the Blackguards charge into battle, their master blind and unaware of what fate awaited them. 

21