Chapter 56: First Quarter (Day One)
1.7k 4 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Thank you to all of my Patrons for your support:

-Leroy.

-Roy Nikkel.

-Dark.

-David Zimmerle.

-Vitrumist.

-Kyle Martin.

-Alex R.

-Vochel.

-Muhd Izrul.

-Antab.

-Michael Gaus.

-Ritsuka Morgan.

-Addanc.

-William Drennan.

-Josh turner.

 

This novel is 10 chapters ahead in Patreon, so be sure to become a Patron to get ahead in the story.


Everyone's support is much needed, so to anyone who might consider supporting me, please consider becoming a Patron or you can use the Donate function of this site.



It’s been two days since Soma and Marina arrived at Akud, and they spent those days preparing the Classrooms that Soma is going to use, and the tools he is going to use during his stay in Akud as a teacher. It’s been decided that Soma is going to teach two courses, Actual Combat and Magic Item Creation, the students were informed of that two days ago and all they had to do is choose the courses they wish to study.

 

 Each academic year consist of 4 parts, and each part is only one month, so that means each academic year is only six months (Vacations included), and in this short time, students are allowed to study two courses only per academic year, and at this moment, each teacher is at their respective classroom looking through the names of the students they are going to teach, and Soma was one such teacher.

 

*RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIN*

 

With the sound of the bell, the students all started heading to their respective classes, and by the time the bell sounded the second time all the students were already in their respective chairs.

 

“Welcome and nice to meet you all! My name is Soma, I’ll be your Actual Combat teacher, and this here is my assistant Marina, she might look like a beastman but she is a half-beastman half-human, that’s why she is able to use magic normally”(Soma)

 

“Nice to meet you”(Marina)

 

“Now… this class has 15 students from all kinds of backgrounds from what I’m able to see, and since this is our first class, I’ll tell you this beforehand, but in my class, your backgrounds mean absolutely nothing, all of you are equal in my eyes, and the only thing that will be differing between all of you is how much of a hard worker you are. So that is out of the way, let's start with you all introducing yourselves, tell me your names and what you are good at and what’s your goal, in the order of your seat’s number”(Soma)

 

“My name is Zac Mist! I’m good at Water and Lightning magic and using the spear! My goal is to become strong enough to protect Akud!”(Zac)

 

“I’m David, and I can use Wind Magic! My goal is to learn how to hunt monsters, so I can work as a hunter!”(David)

 

“This one’s name is Anolan, our family is that of farmers, and we suffer from monster’s attacks all the time, that’s why this one is here to learn how to fight off the monsters, and this one is able to use Earth Magic!”(Anolan)

 

“Here is Zeek! My goal is to become a Magic Researcher in the future, but I need to raise my level so that I can use stronger magic and I’m here to learn about how to not die doing that, I’m good at Earth and Water Magic by the way!”(Zeek)

 

“I am the GREAT Greed Mono! The next head of the GREAT Mono Household! My Glorious Magic is that of the Fire, Earth, Wind, and Water attributes! And this GREAT me shall rule over this town in the future and since it’s a matter of fact, be sure to show your respect properly!”(Greed)

 

“I’m Greed-sama’s first knight, Las. I’m able to use both Wind and Light Magics, I’ll tell beforehand, but my Magic is for my master alone and no one else”(Las)

 

“I’m Greed-sama’s second knight, Mino. I’m able to use both Earth and Fire Magics, I’ll tell beforehand, but my Magic is for my master alone and no one else”(Mino)

 

“I’m Rimi El Valc, and I can use all magic attributes aside from the Dark attribute, and I’m proficient with the long sword, my goal is to protect the people of this country! And if anyone here needs treatment with Healing Magic, please be sure to come to me and I’ll do my best to heal you!”(Rimi)

 

“My name is Alice, and I am Rimi’s friend and I share her goal! I’m good at using Water, Wind, and Earth Magics! And I’m also good at using the longbow!”(Alice)

 

“I’m Emma, Good with Fire Magic, and my goal is to become a hunter so I’m able to get all the delicious ingredients for free”(Emma)

 

“I’m Taylor!”(Taylor)

 

“Bigge!”(Bigge)

 

“Walter!”(Walter)

 

“Nash!”(Nash)

 

“We are all brothers, and as you can see, we are beastmen so we can’t use Attribute magic, but all of us are good at Martial Arts! Our goal is to become strong enough to work as hunters so we can provide for our family!”(The four brothers)

 

“My name is Nad! I came from Elk to learn how to become stronger in order to join the First Knight Order! I’m good at using Water Magic and I’m good at fighting with Twin Swords’ Art”(Nad)

 

“Nice to meet you all…. Now, as all of you know, this class is about Actual Combat, but not everything about Actual Combat is done on the battlefield, from those of you, Rimi, Alice, and Nad have some Actual Combat experience so they must know what that mean, could you three tell us what you think?”(Soma)

 

“…From my work as the Captain of the Second Knight Order, one of the most important things you must do before engaging in an Actual Combat is preparations, one must make sure that his weapons, armor, and body are ready for the battle ahead of him”(Rimi)

 

“Other than that, one must know as much as possible about his opponent, you can’t prepare to fight an Orc and then go and fight a Giant Ogre….”(Alice)

 

“And one must never underestimate his opponents and their numbers especially when fighting against a big number of opponents, and in my opinion, the most important thing is to be prepared mentally, in Actual Combat you fight to kill not to defeat, and killing your opponent hits you hard mentally not only because of the fact you killed a living creature but the blood, the sensation of cutting live flesh, seeing the organs and innards of the thing you are killing, one must be prepared for all of that, especially when killing people such as bandits…”(Nad)

 

“Correct, preparations and knowledge are the most important things about Actual Combat, the preparation of one’s weapons, armor, and body and being ready mentally for what to come, and knowledge about who is your opponent and how does he fight, and how to fight him! Today we will go through such preparations and tomorrow we will go to the Hunting Grounds to see how each of you fights and what they should start working on. For now…..”(Soma)

 

The Class went on till the end of the two hours specified for this class, and once the class was done most of the students went to talk to Soma, among them were ones he had seen before.

 

After the one-hour break, Soma went to his next class, the Magic Item Creation class, Soma entered the class with the four beastmen brothers, it turned out that they were part of this class as well and by the sound of the second bell, only seven students were present in the classroom and all of them were beastmen.

 

“Welcome and nice to meet you all! My name is Soma, I’ll be your Magic Item Creation teacher, and this here is my assistant Marina, she might look like a beastman, but she is a half-beastman half-human, that’s why she is able to use magic normally”(Soma)

 

“Nice to meet you”(Marina)

 

“Teacher! That’s the same line you used before!!”(Nash)

 

“Nothing wrong with it being the same!.... Sorry about that, those four are my students in the other course. Now let’s get you all introducing yourselves and why did you choose to study this course, in the order of your seat number”(Soma)

 

“…I’m Bela, and I choose this course in hopes of learning how to  use magic through the use of Magic Items as it’s always been my dream to use Magic!”(Bela)

 

“Erm…M-My name is Fina, and I want to learn how to make Magic Tools that are u-useful in people’s everyday lives…”(Fina)

 

“Here is Ada! I want to learn how to make Magic Items in order to sell them and make a killing!!”(Ada)

 

“We are the-!”(The Four Brothers)

 

“The Four Idiots”(Soma)

 

“Yes, The Four Idiots NOT! Teacher! Please let us introduce ourselves properly!”(The Four Brothers)

 

“ “ “Pfft…” ” ”

 

“Sorry Sorry, I just couldn’t help it, but why are you four talking in sync?”(Soma)

 

“That’s Our identity! We are The Four Brothers!”(The Four Brothers)

 

“Taylor!”(Taylor)

 

“Bigge!”(Bigge)

 

“Walter!”(Walter)

 

“Nash!”(Nash)

 

“We chose this course in order to learn how to make Magic Items that are useful in battle!”(The Four Brothers)

 

“Okay now that all of you have introduced yourselves, let’s begin the lecture right away! But first, you’ll need Textbooks, Marina I’ll leave that to you…”(Soma)

 

“Yes!”(Marina)

 

“The art of creating Magic Items is the Art of inscribing Magic Circles with a special ink that conduct Mana into a material, as for the material you are inscribing the Magic Circle Into, it can be any material, even your own body, and as for the special Ink, I’ll teach you how to make a basic one and how to modify it, that leaves only the Magic Circles and some of their applications, but the number of Magic Circles is huge and there are many ways to modify them and combine them. What I want to say is that everything you said that you want to do is possible, but it all depends on your efforts, work hard and you’ll achieve your goals and the Textbooks that are being given to you contains all the information that you’ll need. Are you all ready?”(Soma)

 

“ “ “Yes!” ” ”

 

“Then Let’s start!......”(Soma)

 

Soma started his first lecture with the Magic Items Creation Class with the basics and started training them on how to control the flow of their Mana, and how to steady their hands while drawing Magic Circles.

====================================================================================

 

At night after all the students returned to their homes and dorms, one student is climbing the bell tower of the academy with a steady stream of tears going down his face. The student, David, lost his best friend last year, his friend was killed brutally by a student named Greed at night behind the dorm building, at the time, both David and his friend were students in the Magic Class, and both of them showed a lot of talents that exceeded that of Greed who is the next head of the Mono Household, moreover, Greed is someone who is able to use Four Attributes, but in terms of their talents as Mages, David and his friend were the best in class even though they both were only able to use one attributes each, and that never sat well with Greed, he had his family place pressure on David’s friend family who works as butchers driving them to the brink of bankruptcy. He then used that as a bait to have the friend to meet him behind the dorm building and killed him out of jealousy, David was there as well, but he was spared all in order to not invite unnecessary attention to Greed, but David didn’t survive scot-free as he was threatened that if he was to tell anyone about what happened, he and his family will face the same fate as the friend, and more than that he was ordered to drop out of the academy, the whole case was covered up and concluded as an accident by the Mono family and David dropping out was ruled out as him suffering from the shock of losing his best friend, but Greed never left him alone and started putting pressure on his family. This year, David came back to the Academy in hopes of learning how to fight in order for him to work as a Hunter and help his family out of their predicament and the perfect course for that was added this year, The Actual Combat Class, but that hateful Greed was part of this class as well, and he was looking at David with a sadistic grin on his face. David knew from looking at Greed’s expression that he is going to be treated as a plaything by Greed, he didn’t mind that as long as he is able to learn from this class.

 

But all of his hope disappeared once he started to think about what’s going to happen to his family, ‘they will surely be turned into playthings for Greed as well’ and it was then that David thought that his existence will lead to the surfing of his family, that’s why he decided to end his own life jumping off the bell tower of the Academy. Having finally reached the top of the bell tower, David started looking around himself, it was then that the appearance of a white-haired young man sitting next to him and reading a Book entered his view, David was so surprised that he almost fell down.

 

“…! T-Teacher, w-what are you doing here?”(David)

 

“As you can see, I’m reading, this is the best location for reading in this whole town after all”(Soma)

 

“…”(David)

 

“I heard about you from the Headmaster, and she told me about everything about the case that happened last year, that’s why I know all about what’s going through your head right now”(Soma)

 

“…Are you here to stop me?”(David)

 

“No, It’s your life, not mine, that’s why you are free to do whatever you want to it. But I thought that maybe I should spare your family from seeing your body broken and twisted after falling from this height, here”(Soma)

 

Soma handed David a small bottle filled with a purple liquid, David looked at the bottle all over before looking back at Soma and asking him…

 

“What’s this?”(David)

 

“A poison, it’s made to kill painlessly and to turn into normal water after the victim dies, use this and people will think that you died because of illness or something, at least no one is going to figure out that you killed yourself”(Soma)

 

“…So even you, Teacher, thinks that there is no way for me but to die…”(David)

 

“Don’t go assuming things about me, I never said that there is no way for you but to die, all I did say was that I’m here to show consideration to your family that you decided to abandon”(Soma)

 

“I haven’t abandoned them! And isn’t it you that is assuming things about me? You just met me today and you are already assuming things about me! You even gave me poison to kill myself, and you call yourself a Teacher?”(David)

 

“Yes, I met you today, but the difference between me and you is that I have some information about you and that’s how I was able to predict that you’ll come here to try to kill yourself. And yes, you killing yourself means that you are abandoning your family, do you really think that by you killing yourself that your family will not be targeted by Greed and his family? You know him more than I do, remember the contents of our class today, you know Greed too well, are you sure he is not going to target your family after your death?”(Soma)

 

“….B-But what should I do?! He will definitely go after my family once I die!! What did we even do to suffer like this at the hands of those peoples?!”(David)

 

“Then fight! Wasn’t that the reason you joined my Class? Was your only reason for joining my Class is to learn how to hunt monsters? Didn’t you want to get stronger? Strong enough to fight against his whole family and come out victorious!”(Soma)

 

“That’s impossible! Me alone can’t possibly fight against them!”(David)

 

“Why not? Do you know about the town of Elk? That town is attacked by an army of thousands of monsters every year, but they are able to come out of it victorious every single time, they do lose a lot each and every year, money, people, farms, buildings! But they rebuild and stand up, again and again, every year! And here you are giving up before even trying. If you are planning on dying, at least take your enemy down with you!”(Soma)

 

“….Elk is the town where that guy Nad came from, right? Do they really have to go through all of that every year?”(David)

 

“You can ask Nad that yourself, but the combatants of that town are strong enough to fight against the army of monsters, and when one of them feel like they are going to lose no matter what, they fight with the intention of taking down as many monsters as they could with them in hopes of reducing the number of monsters as much as possible in order to reduce the number of monsters that might attack their friends and family, they sacrifice themselves to ensure the safety of their family. On the other hand, what about you? Are you really doing it for your family? Or are you just trying to run away? Think about it”(Soma)

 

“…..I think….I think that I was trying to run away….. but, can I really become as strong as the combatants of Elk?”(David)

 

“If you are willing to give me the chance to teach you, then it’ll all depend on you, if you work hard enough in the proper way, you can become way stronger than them”(Soma)

 

“…Got it…. I will try giving you a chance, Teacher”(David)

 

“Good, and you can keep that poison, you might need it or something, and as for your safety and the safety of your family, you don’t need to fear anything, I have the job of Law Enforcer in the academy, and it’s my job to protect all those affiliated with the academy, their families included. And it’s my job to punish those who break the Law”(Soma)


Come and join my discord server!

https://discord.gg/FnxJnNd

 

38