Chapter 62: First Quarter (Day Four)(Student’s POV)
1.6k 1 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Thank you to all of my Patrons for your support:

-Leroy.

-Roy Nikkel.

-Dark.

-David Zimmerle.

-Vitrumist.

-Kyle Martin.

-Alex R.

-Vochel.

-Muhd Izrul.

-Antab.

-Michael Gaus.

-Ritsuka Morgan.

-Addanc.

-William Drennan.

-Josh turner.

 

This novel is 10 chapters ahead in Patreon, so be sure to become a Patron to get ahead in the story.


Everyone's support is much needed, so to anyone who might consider supporting me, please consider becoming a Patron or you can use the Donate function of this site.


On the morning of the fourth day, all those present and those who were near the Academy were surprised by the two spells launched to the sky, and when those spells collided and exploded, it resulted in an uproar raising up in every corner of the Academy.

 

In one of the classrooms, the Actual Combat Class who had agreed to arrive early before the start of the class in order to talk and share information with each other, only Greed, Las, and Mino are not with them.

 

“…What was that explosion?”(The Four Brothers)

 

“Do you think something dangerous happened?”(Emma)

 

“I think maybe it was Teacher’s doing…”(Zeek)

 

“This one feels the same”(Anolan)

 

“Well, in Elk whenever something surprising happened it was the work of Soma-san the whole time since his arrival, so I know how you feel…”(Nad)

 

“When the time for us to know about it is right, we will know. For now, what do you think about Teacher’s teaching method?”(Alice)

 

“It’s my first time taking such classes but I have seen how soldiers are trained before, and from that, I can only say that his methods are weird but strangely convincing…”(Zac)

 

“I agree that his ways are not ordinarily, but they are the best you might find out there”(Rimi)

 

“What do you mean?...”(David)

 

“The way soldiers and knights are trained is way too different from what Teacher is teaching us. In the first place, soldiers and knights are trained that way not because it’s effective but to make it easier for the commanders to command them. But it has the downside of making it alright for an incompetent commander to take command, and since all the commanders tend to be nobles, it’s made so that the commanders don’t need to use their heads and come up with stupid ideas and only to follow the premade and approved strategies. That way the commander(Noble) is never to blame if he lost, but the blame would fall on the soldiers for not following the orders properly or on the king for not having enough soldiers…”(Rimi)

 

“And in most of those cases, the fault is actually on the commander for missing his timing, or because the enemy using an unexpected strategy or a new one outright, leading the incompetent commander to not be able to respond properly and thus losing”(Alice)

 

“And to make things worse, those commanders are always not actually participating in the battle. Instead they are always as far as possible from the battlefield causing their orders to always arrive late and for the information about the battlefield to reach them late as well. And having been used to these methods for decades, the commanders would always treat their soldiers as if they are nothing but chess pieces, and not as lives lost in vain”(Rimi)

 

“…Thinking about it now…. What you said really makes sense, especially when Commanders tend to almost always survive, and looking back at it now, they always survive by being the first to run away or by using their soldiers as meat shields…”(Zac)

 

“But how different are Teacher’s ways? How do his methods solve this problem?”(Zeek)

 

“By discarding the premade strategies and teaching the combatants how to come up with new and effective strategies on the fly…”(Nad)

 

“Yes, exactly! By researching the enemy and figuring out their weaknesses. By fighting each with their own style but coordinating properly with those around them. By having the smartest amongst such people be the commander, and by having him fighting alongside them and not behind them. By learning how to not get in the way of each other, that way, the combatants on the battlefield will become impossible to predict and super quick to respond from the enemy's perspective”(Rimi)

 

“So at the end of the day, he is teaching us how to figure out our own strategies depending on the enemy, and how to use our abilities properly without wasting them, and how to be considerate and humble so that we don’t let our greed get in the way of victory. And finally, how to know our limits properly and pushing past them at the right time in the right place in the right way…”(Zeek)

 

“This one has a feeling that those things should have been common sense…”(Anolan)

 

“But people always try to be the same as those around them without looking at what they actually have that could make them better than they are at the moment. And when they form a group, all those deemed different or unique are discriminated against and pulled down, even though having everyone being unique in their own way is better and more informative than everyone being imitations of everyone around them…”(Emma)

 

“Was it always such a social problem?...”(The Four Brothers)

 

“It’s just that people can’t help but bring their social habits along with them wherever they go. The whole standard training methods we talked about just now were brought about by the nobles who wanted to show the world how grand they are regardless of the truth. And by the commoners who think and believe that the nobles are better than them and just give up on improving themselves. One might argue that if commoners tried to improve themselves they would attract the attention of the bad nobles, but everyone is forgetting an important truth…”(Rimi)

 

“Important truth?...”(David)

 

“Nobles need the commoners to maintain their lives, but commoners don’t!”(Rimi)

 

“…Nobles need the commoners to maintain their lives…?”(Zac)

 

“Farmers are commoners, mercenaries are commoners, craftsmen are commoners, soldiers are commoners, merchants are mostly commoners. The point is that those classes of people are more than able to keep each other going, but once you include the nobles in the picture, everything goes haywire. They would employ the soldiers who should be protecting the country to be their dogs who would bark and bite anyone their owners order them to, even their fellow commoners they should have been protecting. And by bribing merchants they stimulate their greed to gain more. They put pressure on the farmers to control the market resulting in farmers dying of starvation when the harvest is damaged or not enough. And the social habits of both sides that came to be because of both sides getting used to their respective situations, and right now both sides are under the illusion of everything being the way it is as natural and proper even though that’s not the case. And what I said right now is something that father used to say to me and my brother all the time”(Rimi)

 

“…You mean that the King intends to remove the Noble-Commoner system?”(Zac)

 

“That’s not the case, what my father wants to do is change the social system we have right now. He wants to make it so nobles are more of managers and investors than lords and chosen ones as they are right now. And it’s all to save them. Like I said, nobles can’t live without the commoners, but the commoners can live without the nobles or more like they are better without them as things are right now…”(Rimi)

 

“…I see…. It’s as you say. If things go as they are right now, there will come a time where the commoners band together to remove the nobles, causing civil wars to engulf the whole country…”(Zac)

 

They kept chatting with each other till the first bell sounded, and they all went to their seats as Greed, Las, and Mino arrived at the class, those three always arrive with the sound of the second bell and right before Soma enter the class, and it has become a signal for the students to go to their seats and stop chatting.

 

Soma entered the class and announced its contents, only for Greed and his two knights to go out of line and attack Soma, but the way Soma dealt with them surprised everyone in the class, but what surprised them the most was seeing Greed piss himself in fear when Soma looked at him. From among the students in the class only Rimi, Alice, Nad, and the four brothers who were able to tell why did Greed piss himself. After dealing with Greed, Las, and Mino, Soma calmed the students down and continued the class, and after the class ended, he went to the Magic Item Creation class.

 

“…What can I say…. That was amazing! Is the only thing I have in mind right now…”(Zeek)

 

“…Yes… testing the limits of the joints to figure out how is it able to move, looking at the structure of the muscles to differentiate between the most used limps and the less used ones, measuring the thickness of the bones to figure out its weak points…”(Emma)

 

“…Yeah, this one never imagined that one is able to envision the movements and actions of Horned Rabbits by just studying their body…”(Anolan)

 

“Now I ‘Practically’ understand why would he want us to dissect the monsters. With what we learned today, looking back at our fight against the Horned Rabbits, I understand now that we made a lot of mistakes. We blocked when we should have dodged, and we ran at the Horned Rabbits when we should have just lured them into attacking us, and …well, many other mistakes”(Zac)

 

“…For us too! We always used more power than needed to kill the Horned Rabbits wasting our strength and time. Were we aware of it at that time, we would have been able to kill more than we did in the time we had”(Alice)

 

“Aren’t you all trying to ignore talking about what happened at the start of the class?...”(Nad)

 

“…Well, Greed deserved what happened to him and this wasn’t the first time those two attacked others for stupid reasons”(Zac)

 

“…I’m sure the reason no one is talking about it is that”(Emma)

 

“This one agrees..”(Anolan)

 

Emma pointed at Rimi as she said that and everyone looked at her. Since what happened at the start of the class, Rimi was visibly furious at Greed, Las, and Mino for daring to attack Soma. But at the same time she did her best to concentrate on Soma’s lecture so as to not miss a single word, Marina was able to sense Rimi’s feelings and kept glaring at her the whole time, and that alone caused everyone to figure out what the relationship between those two is going to be in the near future. But once the class ended and Soma left, anger returned to Rimi, and she was about to go after Greed if not for Alice holding her back.

 

At night, a group of thugs was walking in the open towards one corner of Akud, they were instructed by their master the next head of the Mono household Greed to go and attack one particular family, David’s family to be precise. They were instructed to kill the father in front of everyone in town and to rape the mother and sister and kill them the same way. They were instructed to make sure that David is watching the whole thing and to bring him their master, so he can deal with him personally, and when they arrived they found the whole family was drinking tea and eating dinner together but there was one person extra, it seems that they had a guest, the thugs ignored the guest’s existence and broke through the front door.

 

“Hoh? It seems that the dessert has arrived…”(Soma)

 

The guest, Soma said so as he stood up and walked towards the thugs that broke in.

 

“May I ask what’s your business here?”(Soma)

 

“It’s none of your business but I’ll tell you! Aren’t I generous? That insolent fool over there dared to anger our master, and we were sent here to punish his whole family for it! If you don’t want to suffer the same fate as them, then leave everything you have here including your clothes!”(Thug 1)

 

“The things he has do look high quality after all! Gehheeheheh!”(Thug 2)

 

“We do need some pocket money from time to time! Hahahahah!”(Thug 3)

 

The 10 thugs all started laughing and sneering at Soma who was smiling at them, but suddenly all the thugs were hit by a strong gust of wind and were sent outside the house.

 

“Bastard! Was that your doing?!”(Thug 1)

 

“Don’t think that we will forgive you for that!!”(Thug 2)

 

“We will see about that…”(Soma)

 

The thugs all unsheathed their weapons and started running towards Soma, Soma calmly walked out of the house and unsheathed his sword, and the moment the first thug reached 3m away from Soma, all of the thugs lost their arms at the same time.

 

“ “ “GYYYAAAAAAAA!!!” ” ”

 

Soma looked around him to find that a lot of people have come to see what’s going on. The thugs were walking in the open and talking about what they were going to do intently to attract attention, but right now they are the ones crouching on the ground screaming and bleeding.

 

{High Heal}…. Now, could you say it one more time? What’s your business here?”(Soma)

 

Soma used Healing Magic on all of the thugs restoring their arms, once they noticed what happened, they took their weapons and attacked Soma again only for it to end in the same way.

 

{High Heal}…. Do you feel like talking now?”(Soma)

 

No one of them responded to him, and they kept glaring at him only for their arms to be cut again.

 

{High Heal}…. This game is really fun! Please keep resisting, okay?”(Soma)

 

“…WAIT!!.... we were sent by the young master to teach that family a lesson…”(Thug 1)

 

“And who are your masters?”(Soma)

 

“…”(Thug 1)

 

The thug didn’t answer and thus all of them lost their arms again, and after healing them…

 

“STOP!! I’ll talk! I’ll talk! Our masters are the Mono household!! That’s why if you stop getting in our way we might not tell them abou-! GYAAAAA!”(Thug 1)

 

Their arms were cut yet again and then healed.

 

“It seems you guys aren’t aware of your situation yet, your masters are not going to save you from me, and I am going to show you hell tonight, your only hope is for you to follow everything I say, that way you’ll suffer less”(Soma)

 

“You think-! Gyaa!”(Thug)

 

“I am having fun here and you all are my playthings, so make sure you don’t displease me, okay? Now, hand over everything you have on you including your clothes”(Soma)

 

No one of the thugs moved, and they all lost their arms yet one more time, and after healing them they started piling their things in front of Soma, and right now they all are waiting for Soma’s next order butt naked.

 

“Now, tell me about all the times you harmed, killed, and raped in this town, and I’ll make sure to punish you for all of them, start from your first time doing such things”(Soma)

 

The thugs started talking about their crimes one after the other and for each crime, Soma would cut their arms and heal them in front of all of the spectators, they kept going like that for five more times and all of the thugs lost all will to live and along with their minds, then Soma healed their minds and right away they looked at Soma with eyes full of terror and soiled themselves.

 

“We didn’t even finish counting all of your crimes and you have already lost your minds, now you see what your actions caused? Your punishment was to only cut your arms and heal them, but what you always did was never this light, you wanted to kill the father and then rape the sister and mother in front of the whole town? Your punishment is still not done, and don’t expect to live through it”(Soma)

 

At that moment, a Magic Circle appeared on the ground and all the thugs sunk into it, after that Soma fixed the door they broke and was about to leave when suddenly David, his family, and all the spectators bowed their heads to him.

 

“ “ “THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!” ” ”



Come and join my discord server!

https://discord.gg/FnxJnNd

35