Chapter 102: Second Quarter (Duel)(Part 1)
911 6 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Two weeks passed and the Second Quarter of the Academic Year came to an end, but there was still some unfinished work that Soma needs to take care of. There was the evaluating of the Four Brothers’ work as students of the Magic Item Creation Class. They were tasked with making a new staff for David, and today is the day that the staff would be used in an Actual Combat by David in his duel with Greed Mono. Other than that Soma has to face Rowan Borin in a duel after Greed and David’s duel.

 

Right now, in the morning of the first day after the end of the Second Quarter of the Academic Year, Soma along with his students from both the Actual Combat Class and the Magic Item Creation Class, Milin and her students from the Magic Class and the History Class, Rowan Borin and his students from the Knighthood Class, Greed Mono accompanied by a group of his guards and servants, and lastly Leona along with all staff members of the Academy. All of those people were assembled at the training grounds of the Academy for the duels: David vs Greed Mono, and Soma vs Rowan Borin.

 

“Let’s get started right away, the first duel is between David from the Actual Combat Class and Greed Mono. The duel doesn’t have any rules and the one who gets knocked out, gives up, or dies loses… both David and Greed are required to announce what they wish for when they win, let’s start with Greed”(Leona)

 

“When I win, this filthy commoner and his whole family are to become my slaves, and when that happens I’ll be sure to treat you like the animals you are!!”(Greed)

 

“If I win, I wish for a full and thorough investigation to be carried against the Mono Household by Soma-san and for them to be punished excessively for every crime they have done no matter how small it’s”(David)

 

“Haah?! You think that this GREAT me will lose to the likes of you?! And what’s with that STUPID wish? Don’t you know who I AM?! I am Greed Mono! No matter what I do no one has any right to say a word to me!”(Greed)

 

“…”(David)

 

“Both of you walk five meters away from the centre of the training ground facing each other all the while and prepare yourselves”(Leona)

 

David ignored Greed’s remark and started walking away from him as per Leona’s declaration, and seeing David ignoring him like that enraged Greed, but he held himself back and walked away. After taking his position, David gestured to the Four Brothers, and they walked up to him and handed a staff wrapped in white cloth to him. David unwrapped the staff and slightly hit its butt on the ground. David’s new staff was as tall as he is and no matter from which angle you looked at it, it looks nothing like a staff, instead, it looks like a spear with four blades instead of one, and what's more, was the material the staff was made from. From looks alone, the Staff-Spear was made out of regular steel with white engravings running down the whole thing. But that wasn’t enough to trick the eyes of those who knew anything about weapons and their materials, the staff didn’t reflect light the way normal metals did, quite the opposite in fact. The staff seemed too dim to be made of metal at all, and the white material the engravings were made of was without a doubt a mixture of normal Mana Crystals and Light Crystals, and all of the engravings were complex Magic Circles connected to each other. Leona and Milin noticed that the bottom of David’s boots and forearm protectors were made out of thick metal which should be too heavy for a mage like David.

 

On the other side of the training ground, Greed was approached by his servants, and they helped him put on a full-plate armor made out of a vibrant green metal adorned with golden streaks and red gems. Once he put his armor on the servants handed him a sword and a shield made out of the same materials. The armor, sword, and shield were bought from the royal capital with a huge sum of money. The main material they were made from is Golden Mithril, Golden Mithril is an alloy made by mixing Mithril with Precious metals such as Gold and Silver, and the golden streaks are made from pure gold and the red gems are rubies. The Golden Mithril has a good Mana Conductivity but other than that it’s useless, and the gold and rubies have no functionality at all. “It’s a very noble like to prioritize the looks over the functionality of their equipment” thought the two people hiding in one of the corridors as they watched what was happening in the training grounds, Leona glanced at the corridors they were hiding in before looking back at David and Greed.

 

“Now that both of you are ready we will start on my mark….. ready? Go!!”(Leona)

 

The first one to move was Greed, he unsheathed his sword and held his shield up before starting to laugh maniacally while pointing his sword at David.

 

“Hahahaha! Look at that fool! Daring to challenge me with a mere iron spear! And what’s with the spear anyway? Aren’t you supposed to be a mage? Or do you think that by equipping a real weapon you’ll stand a chance against me that way-!....”(Greed)

 

Before Greed could finish his sentence David’s face was less than a cm away from his own face. It happened in less than a blink of an eye which surprised Greed beyond belief and that caused him to stop thinking for a moment, and that moment was more than enough for David to land his attack. David swung his Staff-Spear at Greed’s shield sending him rolling for five meters on the ground with a dent in the shape of David’s Staff-Spear on Greed’s shield.

 

“You talk too much, Idiot. And here I was taking you seriously, what a letdown”(David)

 

“Y-You bastard! What did you do?!”(Greed)

 

“All I did was that I smacked your shield with my Staff and that was enough to send you flying”(David)

 

“That’s impossible!! There is no way that iron spear of yours is sturdy enough to damage me through my armor leave alone my shield! There must be a trick to it! Attacking me with a surprise attack, have you no shame?!”(Greed)

 

“What surprise attack? All I did was attacking you head-on from the front”(David)

 

“Enough with your excuses!”(Greed)

 

Greed jumped to his feet and dashed at David swinging his sword wildly stumbling and staggering with each swing and David just backstepped and dodged each and every one of Greed’s attacks. Greed was swinging his sword expecting it to hit its mark each and every time which led to him getting surprised and flustered each and every time his attacks missed. Greed was getting more and more frustrated the more David dodged his attacks. Seeing that Greed was getting frustrated, David decided to dodge the next attack by jumping up in the air.

 

“Fool!! Jumping in the air like that will leave you no space to run away!! All I have to do is to strike the instant you land on the ground!”(Greed)

 

“You are the fool. And besides, didn’t you say it yourself? Me being a mage that is…. {Air Hammer: Modified}!”(David)

 

David summoned a lump of air and slammed it on Greed’s body as he landed on the ground right in front of Greed who is sprawled on the ground like a dead frog. After striking Greed’s body, the lump of air moved towards David’s Staff-Spear and was sucked inside of it. David glanced at the sprawled Greed before walking away from him for about five meters before looking at him once more.

 

“How stupid can you be? At the start of the duel instead of attacking your opponent, you started going on and on about this and that. And when you saw me attacking at an unexpected speed, instead of guarding yourself properly you stopped thinking altogether, and that’s evidence of your lack of training. Moreover, after that you allowed my provocation to get your head and started swinging your sword like a madman. What have you done with your life? You have a great talent for magic, but instead of training it, you use it only as bragging material. Now I can see it clearly, I really was wasting my life spending it in fear of the likes of you. I should have put in an effort for the betterment of myself way before Soma-san told me to. Well anyways this the end of the line for you”(David)

 

“…Keh… Don’t you know who are you talking to?! I am the GREAT Greed Mono!! Do you think you can get away with what you did to me just now?!”(Greed)

 

“Right back at you, did you think that I forgot what you have done last year? Do you think that I forgot what you planned to do to me and my family? Do you think that I didn’t hear what your wish was? I’ll be sure to show you what it means to teach someone their place”(David)

 

David started walking back towards the sprawled Greed while spinning his Staff-Spear with his right hand, and right when he reached right in front of Greed’s face he slammed the butt of the Staff-Spear on Greed’s sword breaking it.

 

“I’ll start doing the same to your body until you either die or give up”(David)

 

Right to his words, David started spinning his Staff-Spear before slamming its butt on Greed’s fingers one by one, and after the fingers, he went after the arms’ and legs’ bones. At the same time, David kept dousing Greed’s head with cold water using magic to prevent him from fainting. Greed’s guards moved to attack David in order to save their sprawled master, but they were stopped by Milin freezing their legs to the ground. David kept having fun smashing Greed’s bones a little bit at a time till Greed finally gave up and started begging for his life marking David’s victory in the duel.

18