Chapter 1: How unlucky can one get
2.2k 6 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Villin Collin, aged twenty, died by…..wait up, this can’t be right!”

The corpse of Villin laid on a bed made of clouds as a beautiful lady stood next to his bed holding a thin pamphlet.

“When returning home from a disastrous date he witnessed a thief stealing an old lady’s bag. He chased the thief for twenty meters before catching up at which point the robber stabbed him with a knife she had been hiding. When Villin fell to the ground wondering if this was how his life was going to end a truck driver lost control of his vehicle driving right into him and so truck-kun took his life.”

The lady stared at the pamphlet in bewilderment. The fact that Villin died because of a truck wasn’t a surprise. After all, if he didn’t he wouldn’t be able to reincarnate but the situation in its entirety was certainly a first.

Just as she was doing a double-take, the boy on the bed made of clouds opened his eyes. Looking around him he saw he was laying in an endless sea of white clouds. When he saw the lady standing beside him he didn’t hesitate to speak.

“Damn, well that was a shitty way to die, what now?”

He stood up stretching his arms casually taking a better look around.

The lady froze for a second seeing his uncaring attitude before putting on her signature smile.

“I am sorry to inform you that you died. Due to the manner of your death and your achievements in life you will be given a say in the matter of your rebirth.”

The woman smiled softly still expecting the recently deceased Villin to fall to his knees and cry after realizing he truly died.

“Oh that seems kinda cool. So I could go to some sorta magical planet or something?”

As he said this he took a closer look at the lady that was speaking to him. She truly was beautiful, a typical beauty with blond hair, blue eyes, and a dazzling smile. Despite this, he didn’t really care too much. So what if reincarnation was real, tomorrow he wouldn’t remember any of it anyway, best to just get this thing over with.

“Well, yes, most planets are actually magical in nature. Earth is one of the few non-magical planets since your planet’s core died a few million years ago. If you wish you may pick a world to be reborn in.”

Villin simply sighed before deciding.

“Alright then, let’s go with the Harry Potter world I suppose.”

He chose somewhat randomly, it would be pretty cool to do magic and the Harry Potter world was relatively safe overall as long as he didn’t come in at the wrong time period. And if he didn’t become a mage, perhaps he’d have better luck next time.

“Sir, I am sorry to inform you Harry Potter is purely fictional. It’s a book, something written by a normal person for enjoyment.”

The lady talked in a soothing voice but Villin found a hint of ridicule in her words.

“Well don’t you have any worlds that are similar then? You know, magical school, easily distinguishable bad guys, that kind of stuff?”

In an instant, the lady had taken a tablet out of thin air and tapped it a few times. Something Villin found quite humorous. They were in the afterlife and yet she used technology. 

“Let’s see so a world with mages living in secret and mortals in the open, those are quite rare. Let’s add some pureblood supremacy in there...oh that didn’t actually delete any. A number of large magic schools with lacking management. Alright, we’re almost getting there, only a few results left. Let’s add a random guy getting extremely lucky...ah, there we go!”

The lady looked at Villin with a brilliant smile.

“And there you go!”

She said as she pushed a button on her tablet. When she saw Villin was still standing there she had a confused expression before she looked down at her tablet again. Then over the course of a few seconds, she seemed to have aged a dozen years.

Just as Villin was going to ask her what was going on, she spoke up again.

“Villin, one of the high gods seemed to have taken pity on you due to the way you died. Please come here and choose the perks you shall gain upon your rebirth.”

Seeing the shock on the lady’s face he didn’t waste any words as he walked up to her to look at the tablet.

On the left half of the tablet were a large number of small squares. When you clicked on one the description would pop up on the right side. Other than this the right side also held 6 small empty squares. Above the top three was a line stating ‘High-grade perks’ and above the bottom three ‘Low-grade perks’.

When looking on the left side he could also see a fine line separating the high and low grade perks.

When he properly looked through a few of the high tier perks his previous indifference quickly disappeared. The very first perk was called ‘Second Life’ this allowed him to remember everything he had done in his previous life, hence when he was reborn it would still be him.

After selecting this one Villin immediately regained his vigor properly checking out all other perks. The second major perk he chose was called ‘Supreme Magus’ this would give him a great connection to the ‘web’. Even though Villin didn’t know what this web was, he chose it because of the title. He hoped this perk would assure he would reincarnate as a mage and not just some random mortal.

The third perk was a very hard one to pick. There were a few that interested him such as ‘system interface’ and ‘special bloodline’ but in the end, he chose ‘Great comprehension’ since the description showed that this would allow for one to grasp the nature of magic quicker and more thoroughly alongside other things. Its benefit was clear unlike the other two.

As for the minor perks, he didn’t hesitate as much. The first perk he chose was ‘Good looking’ for obvious reasons. The second perk he chose was ‘Photographic memory’ he hoped this one would go well with his increased comprehension. The final one was ‘athletic’, making it easier for him to become physically strong compared to most others.

When Villin looked at the lady next to him once more his eyes seemed to be burning with vigor. Now that he knew his memories would be kept he subconsciously acted differently.

“So when do I get to go?”

Even though this question could be seen as impolite the lady didn’t seem to mind at all as she still seemed to be in a slight state of shock. After taking another deep breath she replied.

“That will be now, have a fun trip!”

Immediately after this sentence she looked at her tablet and pressed a button, after which he felt his consciousness traveling through worlds. It was as if all the knowledge in the world was just in front of him, but after a few seconds of this he fainted, when he woke up he would be in an entirely new world.

32