Chapter 21: Today… as per usual?
2.8k 12 105
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Today is like any other day, where it starts with me, waking up early in the morning... and then going back to sleep for about five more minutes.

"Young Miss... Young Miss..."

Feeling Sabrina's attempt at rousing me up, I lazily get up with sleepy eyes.

"Good morning... Sabrina..."

"Good morning, Young Miss. Please don't go back to sleep again."

"Mmm..."

I forcibly got myself off the bed, as Sabrina brings out a wet cloth to wipe my face, waking me up fully as she then takes my pajamas off me and help me get dressed up in my usual clothing. Doing my hair afterwards, where she combs them nice and straight.

Done with that, I leave my room and head to the dining room to have my breakfast with my family.

"So Mercedes, how are your lessons with Miss Angelica doing?"

"They are fine, daddy. My academics are proceeding great; my etiquette skills are doing alright; and as for my magic, I am now somewhere in the intermediate stage and barely at the advanced stage."

"O... oh... That's really amazing, sweetie. To think that you're already near the level of your brother."

Wait what?

"Father is right, little sister. To reach at that level in just two years, it's really amazing."

Oh no...

"Ara Ara, maybe our little Mercedes will become a brilliant mage or a magic researcher one day. I heard from Miss Angelica once before, that she has changed the way of how creation magic can be used."

"Oh right, there was that moment, wasn't there, mother!? It was the headline on the news, two years ago: An anonymous individual had tipped some magic researchers into using that idea. Now that I actually think about it, Mercedes was using that method before the news was published!"

Nononononononononononononononono... I messed up! I thought I was moving at a steady pace with my study in magic. Even Miss Angelica didn't say anything, so I assumed that I was doing alright for kids my age. Especially when I had trouble learning magic from day one!

Also, what news!? I've never heard about that before! Miss Angelica never mentioned it to me once! She must be that 'anonymous individual' who had tipped those said researchers...

"Now now, you two. Although it's at a slower pace, Mercedes is also improving well with her swordsmanship training. She might become a fine female knight of the Kingdom's Army too."

No no no... I do not want to join the military. Nor do I want to be a researcher! I just want to live a nice and safe life in this world.

"Mercedes...? Mercedes...!"

"Huh, what!?"

"We asked you a question, dear. Did you not hear us?"

"What question?"

"We asked you, which do you want to be, a mage, a magic researcher, or a knight?"

"Umm... I..."

I don't know~! I haven't plan on my future, not one bit! I'm the type of person who is always unclear about my goals. Making them at the last minute, only to possibly change them because of something else that attracts me.

"Wait a second... Why only those three options? Mercedes is skilled in art, isn't she? Maybe she will be an excellent artist in the future."

"Hmm, that's true... She also has been reading a lot of books for the past two years, you know. An author could be another path, if she wants to."

No, wait, all of you... Just hold on a minute...

"Oh! Then why not a bride as well? His Highness, the Fourth Prince, is a good candidate, is he not?"

"THAT IS SOMETHING, I WON'T ALLOW!!!"

"YEAH!!! MY LITTLE SISTER SHALL NOT BE TAINTED BY MEN, OTHER THAN US!!!"

Hold up, big brother. That line was really sketchy, you know! And daddy, enough of your doting-ness!

"Now now... calm down, you two."

My mother then turns to me.

"So, sweetie. What do you want to be, when you grow up?"

"I... I want to be like mummy."

"Like me?"

"Yes... Like mummy."

"Oh yeah! Mercedes said the same thing to me, when she was one year old. "

I said that? Oh right, I did say that!

"My~ Then I'm sure she will be like me. She is my daughter after all~"

Just like that, the morning conversation ends, which tires me more than it usually should, as Sabrina then comes to tell me that Miss Angelica has arrived and is waiting for me.

But before I leave my seat, my father and mother left theirs first.

"Well then, we should be heading off now."

"Alright, please be safe during the trip, father, mother."

"Huh? Is daddy and mummy going somewhere?"

"Oh... We didn't tell you yet, did we? Father and mother are going to where the Lodengrimm branch family is, which will take about a week before they return."

Branch family... branch family...?

Ah right! I've totally forgotten they exist.

"But why is they going there so suddenly?"

"Apparently, a monster had attacked their household which got every member of their family and their guards, severely injured but fortunately, has no casualties. However, although they have applied some first aid already, some of their wounds can't be dressed by bandages only. So they contacted us, the main family, wishing for mother to heal them with her holy magic, whereas father will be accompanying her as one of her escorts among the rest."

"Oh... okay then, stay safe, daddy, mummy."

"Don't worry. We will, sweetie."

"We will even bring back some souvenirs from their territory. In the meantime, Frederick will be in charge of your swordsmanship training, Mercedes."

"Okay~!"

Me and my brother followed our parents to the door, saying goodbye to them as we watch them leave the estate on a carriage. After which, my brother heads off to do his own things, while I go to the study room and do some self-studies before Miss Angelica arrives.

However, Sabrina enters the room with a letter from her instead. Stating that she is having a fever and won't be able to teach me until she has recovered. And although I would very much like to help her, holy magic aren't effective on diseases. They can heal wounds and remove poisons, but they cannot erase diseases from its host. The best holy magic can do on a sick patient, it ease the pain and suffering on them.

That is why, other than priests with holy magic, doctors exists as well for this sort of things.

However, this world's medical capabilities, aren't at the level of my previous world.

In other words, if an epidemic were to break out...

...We are fucked.

Thanks for reading!~ As per usual, here's the chocolate. ?

Also, I just want to ask... how is the story so far? And how is the pacing of it? Please choose one of the options each, for the two questions in the poll.

Q1: How is the story so far? And Q2: How is the pacing?
  • (For Q1) Good. Votes: 51 67.1%
  • (For Q1) Okay. Votes: 18 23.7%
  • (For Q1) Bad. Votes: 0 0.0%
  • (For Q2) It's fast, needs to slow down. Votes: 3 3.9%
  • (For Q2) It's okay, keep it like this. Votes: 54 71.1%
  • (For Q2) It's slow, hasten the pace. Votes: 9 11.8%
Total voters: 76 · This poll was closed on Sep 30, 2020 03:51 AM.
105