Ch 3. Searching a safe place
7.6k 24 138
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My optimism faded away soon. I spent a lot of time walking. I sent all of my aircraft ahead as I was hoping to be close to some signs of civilization.

[How many kilometers will I have to walk through those prairies until I encounter someone?]

I walked faster, before my scouts return I will need to make some progress. By the time they do the second sortie I should cover about 10 km.

Time is of the essence. I don`t know what I can encounter here.

Suddenly, my eyes locked onto something in a distance. A little shack, standing in the middle of nowhere. That was unexpected but perhaps I can find something there.

[Yes, what a great shack…]

What it actually has is its single wall. However, in its ruins I found 2 silver coins. Lucky me?

After making a little prayer to my guardian deity of eternal luck, I continued to walk down the path. It must be used from time to time but not to the level when it will become an actual road.

[I might spend my fortune to improve the rifle… No, it is not worth it.]

I dismissed temptation immediately and hurried my steps.

By the time I sent away the planes for the second time, I covered quite more than I expected.


Another 30 minutes have passed when I encountered something far away. The people I`ve been following.

From above I can`t tell who exactly they are. I guess they are 17 kilometers away from me. I might be able to catch up with them. For now I ordered one fighter to remain close to them. I might find out something useful about the locals.

The sky started to become scarlet when something interesting happened. They were attacked by an unknown kind of beasts. From 2 kilometers above them, it is hard to tell what the beasts were.

I am in a couple of kilometers away from there. I can even see my scout circling above. Now all that I can think of is…

[Should I observe? Should I waste my time and save them, hoping to obtain more data?]

The choice was obvious.

The people were fighting valiantly. They never stopped to struggle even after being completely surrounded, after being bitten countless times, after falling down.

Sounds of clapping’ [That was brave of them. A pity that I didn`t get enough information about their means of combat, nor about their enemies.]

The important question right now is should this poor fox go there and loot?

No, that would be unworthy of me.

I clapped my palms and prayed for their souls. And then I continued to walk. Normally one would feel guilt. I never felt anything bad. There was no guilt, even if I rushed in, I couldn`t save them. Actually, I was walking towards that place. I have no reasons to be sorry.

I continued walking.


My path was lit by the moon. From time to time I was sending fighters to scout the path ahead.

Maybe half of the night already passed, and nothing happened.

Something rushed down the path, right towards me. I jumped into the ditch and held my breath.

Lucky me, whatever that was, it never saw me. I am clear to move.

[There are a lot of footprints. Might have been those beasts?]

An hour later I encountered something on the path. It was dried blood. And a beast is sleeping close to it.

The beast looked like a dog, a big one, with lots of small spikes on its back. Might be something demo…

Rawr

Of course… Never count on your luck when something can go wrong.

Gunfire and planes are prohibited. The others might be close.

I charged at it. And almost had my hand bitten…

Looks like my naginata skills did not improve.

F*!” It actually managed to bite me. I had blood on my hand. It is mine for sure.

I am at a disadvantage. I have no information on my opponent, I am wounded, and it charges at me constantly.

I made a stand, and tried to hold it back with the naginata.

Somehow it smashed into the blade and severely injured itself. Before it could howl, I cut it in half.

The dawn is approaching. By the time it is actually on the horizon, I want to go as far away as I can. I am getting tired, I need to sleep.

My wounds did not heal out of nowhere, I had to bandage them using a piece of the beast`s skin.

I walked for a long time and found a small campsite, abandoned more than 10 hours ago.

[I have a good feeling about this. I will sleep here.]

I ignited the fire and hoped that it would deter some beasts. Then, I lied down and covered myself with the tails. I fell asleep immediately.

When I woke up, something was not right. Why is this ground so… comfortable?

And why am I being hugged from behind?!

Does Fuji need more tails?
  • No, it would ruin her image. Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Yes, she is kitsune after all. (Add 1 tail for each level she obtains) Votes: 25 40.3%
  • Yes, under very specific circumstances. (She might get more tails but after something really hard) Votes: 32 51.6%
  • I am getting tired of those polls. Think for yourself. (Less polls in the future) Votes: 3 4.8%
Total voters: 62 · This poll was closed on Sep 11, 2020 07:04 AM.
138