Ch 38. The importance of having recon
2k 5 48
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Navigating through fog, day 4.

While I was standing on the bow, I found myself unable to see far away. Actually, I was unable to see 10 meters further than the ship’s bow.

Scouting fighters did not find any land nearby, I have no way to tell if there are any dangers ahead of me, on the map there is not a single shallow marked.

At the beginning I was waiting that the planes will somewhat disperse the fog. That was an expected failure.

I was becoming less and less concentrated due to the fog…

I should keep my watch, at least to make sure no one will attack.


IJN Fuji steamed towards the next checkpoint.

For an ‘unknown’ magical reason the damned fog was on all the way since I breached the fog wall. My radars can’t work properly, as if the fog was also made of metal pieces. I am getting more and more concerned about my situation.

I headed towards the superstructure to check on the maids. I entered the bridge.

“Master on the bridge!” First maid reported my arrival.

“Master, the… erhm… that thing is alright!” Chief maidchanic Grace reported that the engine order telegraph is alright and nothing has happened, not that I never knew about it.

“All flying things are under the deck!” Air traffic maid Willow also reported something obvious.

“…” I looked at Benet.

“Your tea is hot and both spoons of sugar are in the cup.” (B)

The corners of my lips finally started climbing up. I know that some of my maids can be trusted.

After we entered the fog, I never let them exit the ship’s insides. They were either in the crew quarters, or standing on the bridge. I am not in any danger when I out on the flight deck. If something happens to me, the ship will still be afloat. At least I think nothing will happen.

While I was thinking whether to give the maids some time on the deck I sipped some tea and was listening to a noise.

Noise?

No, that is not a noise, it is…

TORPEDOES TO STARBOARD! WE ARE TURNING!
Master?!

I started turning the rudder to the right. The fact that I heard torpedoes mean only one thing: they are TOO close.

The turning is painfully slow, the pinging sounds are getting closer and closer.

The turning was made only by 17˚, the torpedoes are somewhere at my 45-60˚.

When I finally saw the traces of their movement and after I confirmed that they are going to miss, I finally breathed out. I managed to turn enough. The torpedoes passed in a few dozens of meters.


I was still trembling but now I can at least prepare to launch scouts.

[For an unknown reason the fog somewhat cleared, not completely, but the visibility is now several hundreds of meters.]

The fighters slowly started searching around the area.

The first scouting group did not find anything in the area to the left from supposed torpedo launch so the attackers must be to our right.

The second and third groups did not find anything, now I am waiting for the fourth group.

I was already expecting that I will find nothing when the flight got caught in an attack. The fighters immediately started evasive maneuvers. I looked from one of the pilot’s cockpits at the source.

Right below the flight there are two ships firing all their AA guns. Both ships have a shape similar to a war-time destroyers, and they sail under a flag with an eagle image.

The shots were getting closer to the fighters, I decided to stop risking them and recalled them back to the carrier. I opened artillery fire and sent dive bombers.

My firing barely landed near the ships.

The destroyers were trying to return fire but considering how far their shots were splashing, I can at least pretend that everything is alright.

The dive bombers were preparing to attack the destroyers and soon I will destroy them.

When they approached the destroyers, the ships opened fire. I am expecting loses but I must take them down, otherwise I will be killed.

One of the bombers was turned into a fireball when a bofors’ shot hit the engine. Another bomber had its wing shot off. Two more were shot into pieces but the remaining bombers dropped their bombs and the destroyers were hit. I can finally be at ease.

My fight was fast and efficient but I am surprised that the destroyers were sunk with just a couple of light bombs.

I returned back on course and decided to steam as fast as I can to leave the fog, if it is at all possible.

48