V3 Ch 43. Decayed splendor
172 8 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After we defeated the monster, I picked up the stranded Patricia, and carried her in my arms.

Our destination was not the ship, since we would be moving at a ridiculous speed of 3 knots. Since I (Avatar) can move at full speed, I decided to move straight back to Yuriko.

My current headache is figuring out what we are going to do about the lack of fuel, and what I am going to be asking from Yuriko.

Those gods, and their damned answers…


When we finally arrived to the island, crawled through the jungles, climbed the mountain, and arrived to Yuriko’s house, Patricia and I finally collapsed of exhaustion.

The door opened, and Yuriko looked at us.

“The children reported everything. I am glad to have everything done. Good job, you two. Come inside when you can.” (Y)

I mustered the remaining strength and carried Patricia inside.

Yuriko didn’t care about us ignoring all of the etiquette and lying down on her carpet.

“The money is of gold but the agreement is of platinum. Ask away what you want.” She poured us some herbal tea.

I lifted myself off the floor, and managed to put my head on the table.

“Before we begin, can you tell me why you keep calling the seagulls ‘children’? Or you’re doing it with everybody?” Her ‘children’ this, ‘children’ that, starts to rub me the wrong way.

Ara, they are indeed my children. I have mentioned that I am the guardian of the Seas? A long time ago I was showered with prayers, venerated by all people connected to the sea. I was full of divine power, and so I created the children.” (Y)

“Am I right that their purpose is to make sure nobody gets hurt in storms?”

Not exactly.” Yuriko shrugged her shoulders, as if she was not sure herself.

“I made them to control the weather, when the world was still malleable and young. Then, the world started working as intended and the children turned into my messengers. They were doing what they wanted, including helping the people. Eons were passing, and as the science made progress, I was forgotten. With every century I was becoming weaker, as was the faith in me. Now, I am only a shadow of my former self, and those children are all that is left.” I made myself tear a bit, just to comfort Yuriko.

“…” Patricia stared at us, barely understanding what is going on.

So, you are now completely useless…?” After I blurted that, a vein popped on Yuriko’s forehead.

Watch your tongue, Doll, I still have enough strength to fight you. Be happy I am respectful, unlike my peers.” (Y)

“Well, my question is asked, it’s Patricia’s turn.” I prompted the lying girl.

What’s your use to us?” We both stared at Patricia. I wondered if Yuriko would even do anything useful to us, so I didn’t rise my hopes of her.

“I am old enough to be wise, and young enough to fight. Would anything else be important, Child?” (Y)

I expected Yuriko to be a bit more angry. However, she answered calmly.

Can you actually fight? We two are capable of using swords, and I have a strong ship. What is your forte then?”


Yuriko did not answer, she just stood up and entered a room. I heard some rustling and noise, and a few minutes later Yuriko returned with something wrapped in decayed cloth.

She put the object on the table, and some of the decayed linen dropped on the floor and the table.

The object was long and straight, albeit for now I had no idea what is inside.

Yuriko started gently unwrapping the object, and immediately the pieces of cloth started tearing off and falling apart.

Under the wraps was a wooden scabbard covered in oil and grease. I felt an urge to touch it but stopped my hand before it reached the wood.

I glanced at Yuriko, waiting for her consent. After the woman lightly nodded, I took the scabbard.

It was completely plain rectangular wooden case with a thin line separating the handle and the scabbard.

Claaack

Inside of it was a long double-edged sword. It was rusty, and lost its sharpness.

Ara, I thought the oil would preserve it…?” Yuriko was surprised but I immediately grasped why it is like that.

How many centuries ago have you conserved it…?” The woman glanced aside and answered in embarrassment.

I think… two thousand years ago…?” Now I was not surprised it looks like this… A tsurugi extracted from soil would be in similar condition. Sea air is doing miracles to one’s health, and metals’ condition.

“As a warrior, you might be a complete failure. Now, what about your wisdom?” I taunted the cornered woman.

What do you want…?” (Y)

“Come with me, you and the seagulls might help us cross the ocean. If you are still useful.

After Yuriko gritted her teeth, she pulled the rusted tsurugi out of my hands, and started packing her belongings.

Will Yuriko be useful?
  • By herself she is useless, but her seagulls are of help. Votes: 5 27.8%
  • She is old and wise, her advices would be useful. Votes: 12 66.7%
  • She had a sword, so she might be a strong warrior. Votes: 0 0.0%
  • She is completely and utterly useless. Votes: 1 5.6%
Total voters: 18
1