V3 Ch 44. The North and the West
170 5 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

By the time Yuriko finished packing her stuff, it was already morning. We had some sleep, and headed to the ‘port’.

Ara, this place is in a bit worse condition, than I expected.” (Y)

The ship was tortured for the entire duration of our travelling. I have no idea how the boilers were fueled to let the ship continue travelling, even though it is clearly out of fuel.

[Maybe the ship was burning its deck? There should be a lot of wood to burn.]

While it was certainly a wonderful question, I had a more important concern. That is, how are we supposed to move now?

Entering port: Abandoned

Refuel and repair – 2 gold

[Scammers! It was 1 gold!]

I bought it. I am out of options.

Since there was an opportunity to enhance myself, I carried Patricia and Yuriko to the ship, and while they were accommodating themselves, I checked the stats.

Ding

You received 2 copper coins, 1 silver coin, 22 gold coins, 342 upgrade points


IJN Kuronami – DDL. Upgrade points – 2.

Torpedoes – 0/6.

HP – 3700.

HI – 100%.

AU – 100%(3000nm).

5'' Dual turrets Full upgrade
19'' Dual torpedo mount - Prototype Oxygen (High explosive!)

Increase caliber – 0/100

Improve mounts – 0/250

Improve propulsion – 0/500


The silent ship started vibrating, as the steam turbines were empowered by high-pressure steam.

Seeing that the ship came back to life, the seagulls took off and started circling around the bow. While I was silently cursing them for having to follow their directions again, I set course to the Northwest.

When the course was set, I searched for Yuriko.

She was sitting in one of the cabins, and drinking tea. Around her were lying the wooden scabbard, the tsurugi, and a bunch of sharpening stones.

You think this thing can be saved?

“Of course it can be. It is only rust. Give me a couple of days, and my sword shall be as sharp as it was when it was forged.” I decided to omit the fact that the swords are forged dull and are sharpened afterwards.

“If you say so. Do you happen to know why the seagulls want me to go where they are guiding me to?

“At the edge of the world lies the remnant of alien world. Perhaps they deem you suitable for it.” Yuriko didn’t care much, and gave a half-hearted answer.

“Oh, Great One, share thee wisdom with me.”

“The way of the sword is a hard one, some are apt for it, while the others have to work hard just to be able to learn their first skill. That Child is the latter.” (Y)

Do you happen to know some skills?

Ara, suddenly you became so curious, Doll~. Maybe later, when I have the sword sharpened.” She dismissed me, and returned to work.

[If I learn those fancy sword skills, maybe I would be able to fight Veronica.]


The doors opened, and a girl in a white uniform with aiguillettes entered.

“Veronica, you are just in time.” The Doge paid her a glance, before returning his sight to the port.

The recently commissioned ships were lined up and ready. The might of the Republic was once again unchallengeable.

“Signora di Benezio, I happen to have the most outstanding of news.” The other person in this cabinet, the Chancellor, drew the girl’s attention to himself.

Oh my~, I am all ears.” The girl chirped, even though her mood was at the lowest.

“The blockade runners managed to bring not only the Western goods but also a Western trade attaché. With this, our goal of establishing long-lasting relations with the West is almost reached!” The Chancellor was ecstatic.

Ever since its first contact with the West, Benezio was aiming for diplomatic relations. The West possesses ships that can sail againt the winds and currents, as well as muskets that could fire further than 200 steps with deadly accuracy.

“That is the most excellent of news. Father, the new battleship was finished. The crew is working hard to master this marvel of technology. As soon as it is ready, Mo… that woman will be of no threat.” Veronica gulped, as she almost said the second most forbidden word in this palace.

Good.” Even though the Doge’s answer was curt, he was the most pleased.

Veronica bowed, and prepared to leave.

Now, or never…

Yes, I shall…

For Your splendor…

Signora di Benezio?” The Chancellor asked the girl, after she started incoherently mumbling.

Kha…?” The Doge gasped, as his chest was pierced by the rapier.

WHAT?!” The Chancellor fell down, shocked from seeing the obnoxious scene.

The most loyal retainer of the Doge has turned her blade against him. The rabid dog of di Benezio family has finally turned her sight to her flesh and blood. Some people would say it is expected, some would wonder why.

“The Doge is dead. Long live the Doge!” The girl turned around, covered in blood. The Chancellor shivered in terror, after he saw her eyes, akin to those of a dead fish.

T-the D-d-doge is d-d-dead… L-l-l-long l-l-live the D-doge…?” The senile man knew well of the rumors concerning the First daughter, the Radiant Sun. His life depended on him being pleasing to her.

The Doge was assassinated, by the Western agent. The Westerner is to be expulsed, and returned to the West on the very first ship. All who deal with the West are to be sunk on sight, if they come from beyond the Sea.” The Chancellor trembled. Everything di Benezio family worked for for the past centuries was turned to dust...

The temporary ruler’s orders were executed the same day.

2