V3 Ch 81. Unfair negotiations between uneven partners
128 6 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Emmanuel spent two hours in the conference room, and the next second right after the door opened, I was standing there.

Tell me everything.” I asked the first one who stepped out.

“…” A man in uniform glared at me, and turned to Emmanuel.

Wait for a bit, will you?” Emmanuel sighed, and gently pushed me out of the man’s way.

We all headed to Alba’s room.

While we were walking there, I noticed that Emmanuel was not in the best mood. I made a mental note to ask him, when we arrive.

The pirates’ high command received us immediately. The atmosphere in the room was depressed. It might have something to do with the recent fight, or something to do with the Western fleet’s shenanigans.

All five people sat down at a table, and prepared to discuss something. Even though I am one of them, I still have no idea what is going to happen.

Emmanuel and the fleet officer were preparing a stack of documents, while Alba was attentively observing them.

I have a feeling you will not understand anything there, no matter how hard you try reading it.” Emmanuel glanced behind, to remind me that there is nothing for me to look at.

“Even if you tell me this, why would you need those papers, if they are of no use to us?

Bureaucracy at its finest.” Emmanuel sighed, and continued sorting the papers.

Since there was nothing interesting to catch, I sat down and waited.

The men were done a few minutes later. Right on time, as Patricia returned with a couple of teapots and cups.


When the tea was served we started the discussion.

Emmanuel passed the thick stack of documents to Alba, and started telling us about the task of the fleet, and the plans of the empire for the following month.

From his exciting speech I understood one thing.

You guys are not going to return?

“Basically, yes.” Emmanuel did not try denying.

“I wish to know one thing, what is the price of your aid?” Since the speech was already interrupted, Alba used the opportunity to start the negotiations.

“The Empire wants to establish a permanent trade route, and secure a fair trade deal with the islander nations of this region.” (E)

What a nice deal.” I had no idea if Alba was sarcastic here.

“Translation: we want to station battleships here, and buy your resources for nothing, while selling our junk for gold and silver.” After hearing my blurting, both men opened their mouths. Emmanuel tried bleating something but since they couldn’t refute, they remained with their mouths agape.

“As you can guess, the terms are not the most beneficial for us.” (A)

Should I remind you that there are 40 battleships right outside…?” Emmanuel nonchalantly pointed towards the port.

Then go and fight yourselves. No aid from us, and all the troubles are on you.” Alba ‘nonchalantly’ said it, and turned her attention to the tea.


Emmanuel and the officer exchanged whispers, and finally presented their response.

“We can agree on helping the rebels, on the condition that the Empire will have full rights of basing their warships in the ports the rebels will be controlling after the defeat of the current government.” (E)

Translate.” (A)

“Translation: we can dock anywhere we want, and the more ports you control, the more ships we can station. If you defeat Benezio completely, and control all of the lands – we would have access anywhere.” Emmanuel nodded, confirming that my translation is correct.

Not for free.” Alba immediately rebutted the offer.

“All of the hardships of the fighting will be on our navy, of course we must have a proper compensation for that.” (E)

Khm-khm! Hello, I am not dead yet. We all know who will be doing most of the dangerous job, do we?

After another Western consultation, Alba beckoned me to lend my ear.

No ships here. Only over my dead body.’ (A)


Emmanuel and I smiled at each other, while the officer and Alba were in the middle of incinerating each other with their glares.

If no ships, then what~?” I guess we both know that we will either agree on something, or start killing each other over nothing.

“How about we both agree on having the empire’s warships escort the trade caravans for a share of trade profits? You get your presence, while we don’t get threatened?”

Clap-clap-clap

Immediately, I started hearing applause from behind. Right where Patricia and Alba are.

The officer’s expression was very wry, and Emmanuel was trying to give me a business smile.

1