V3 Ch 83. Opening the sea gates
120 4 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After the defeat of the Benezian navy, the downfall of the Doge was evident.

The first scouting raids of the Western fleet showed that the enemy withdrew all of their ships, even the ones that were protecting the commerce.

Since there was no need to worry about the opposition from the sea, the pirates embarked on the Western ships, and pushed forward. Forward towards the undefended colonies of Benezio.

It took us an entire month to make our way towards the city of Benezio. The enemy lair was right behind a small fort that guarded a strategic passage between the shallows where the ironclads couldn’t pass.

With the fort taken, the capital will be in our grasp.

For this operation we concentrated the entirety of the available forces. Everything that was free, from the seasoned soldiers that were fighting since the start of Alba’s movement, to the colonial militias from oppressed colonies liberated by the pirates.

Many of our forces were unavailable due to the distance, and due to the need to maintain control over the captured islands.


The vanguard fleet dropped their anchors 13 miles away from the fort. My entire squadron is accompanied by 10 ironclads, and a handful of light vessels. All of the Western ships had squads of infantry onboard.

I was sending light signals across the fleet. However, my usual human – light interpreter was replaced with Emmanuel, since the Western light signaling was different from the Benezian.

After I conveyed that I will head in first and suppress the batteries, I started accelerating.

Our small gang of reckless fighters was ready to charge right at the enemy with our swords and guns ablaze.

“All ships, fire at the batteries.”

[“Orders confirmed.”]

BANG BANG

Way before the enemy coastal batteries could return fire, my squadron started devastating them. No matter how skilled the enemy gunners are, they can’t overcome one slight issue: we have better range.

With just slowing down a bit, we could keep on sailing towards the fort, and shoot scot-free.

BANG BANG

When another salvo of shells landed, I confirmed straddling the last battery I saw.

As we sailed closer and closer to the coast, the enemy’s situation became problematic.

I ordered the squadron to stay a bit away from the coast, and continued towards a pier.

Right when we all disembarked, the enemy opened fire with their rifles.

Fwoosh-Fwoosh

“Take cover!”

Seriously? We better close the distance while we can.” (P)

Aha?

Somebody was boasting how she learned to deflect bullets. Perhaps you have an idea who she is, Doll?” Yuriko started pushing me out of cover.

W-wait!

“Show me that you can, and I will teach you all skills that I know of! Now, go!” Before I could grip something, I was sent out from the cover with a kick.

That’s the spirit, Yuriko~!” Patricia chuckled, and ran to me.

Fwoosh-Fwoosh-Ping

I started swinging the katana, and trying to make sure nothing will hit me. Patricia can handle herself without me getting in her way.

The two of us started walking forward. The firing from the enemy start was becoming stronger as the reinforcements arrived.

BOOM BOOM BOOM

When the amount of enemies reached a certain point, they automatically attracted the attention of the destroyers.

While everybody was shell-shocked, Patricia and I pushed forward, leaving Emmanuel and Yuriko far behind.


By that point the fight turned into routine clearing of the coastline. Most of the enemies retreated to the fort itself, and the fleet was given the green light to make their landfall.

Emmanuel remained behind to take command, while Yuriko was finally with us to push forward.

The three swordswomen rapidly climbed the fort’s walls, and cleared the gatehouse. While we are ‘having fun’ (By Patricia), the soldiers will make their way to the fort, enter, and start fighting. If they would have anybody to fight.

An entire month of fighting was a good exercise for my skills, so I was not dragging behind the crazy swordmasters. In an hour the fort was taken, the guns were destroyed completely, and the enemy forces surrendered.

From the topmost point of the island we could see the approaching forces of the Armada. In a couple of days the ships will regroup on the other side of the shallows, and we will continue towards the main goal.

It was the time to clear the last opposing forces of Benezio.

1