4. Venomous Snakes
1.6k 8 97
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Alright, we’re done here.”

Randel sighed and bit her quivering lip. Her archery hadn’t improved since the day before. If anything, she was having more difficulty. Her arms were sore and Rohesia kept turning up the pressure.

“I’m sorry,” she croaked.

“Don’t be sorry,” Rohesia told her, “Just do better tomorrow. Oh, Morris is here.”

Randel took a sharp breath and spun around. Morris was walking up with his bow in his hands. He grinned at Randel, and Randel smiled back at him.

“I guess I’m late,” Morris said, “I was hoping to get some extra training in with the two of you.”

Rohesia replied, “I have to go, actually, but you’re free to stay.”

“I think I’m done,” Randel muttered, setting her bow down against the wall of the hunting cabin, “But I’ll wait around if you’re okay with me watching.”

“Please. I’d hate to do this alone.”

Randel handed her quiver over to Morris and sat down on a small log. It was good to be off her blisters for a few moments. Morris took a spot in front of the target and fired a shot, hitting the target with ease.

“It’s weird without you at the bunkhouse,” Morris told her.

“Is everyone still very uncomfortable about this?” she asked.

“I’m sorry.”

Randel sighed.

“No, I expected as much.”

“Let’s not talk about that,” Morris said, “You still think that you could haul an entire deer home by yourself?”

“Yes,” Randel replied, “If only to spite you.”

Morris laughed, and Randel’s heart fluttered a little.

“How’s the training going?”

Randel grunted and folded her arms.

“That bad?”

“I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.”

“Don’t worry,” Morris said, letting another arrow fly, “You’ll get it soon enough. You’re the best of us, remember?”

“You were right. Ro wants to make me the squad leader.”

“Really?” Morris turned to face her. “That’s wonderful. See? I told you!”

Randel giggled, then asked, “How long have we known each other?”

“Since we were small boys,” Morris replied, drawing another arrow.

“But we weren’t really close friends until we started training together, right?”

“I guess not. Why?”

“I guess I’m just thankful that we’re such good friends.”

Her stomach was in knots and Randel was squirming. It was getting hard to ignore how she felt for Morris. Morris stopped firing and gave Randel a long, curious glance. Then he grinned and her heart started to melt.

“I’m here for you, Randel,” he said.

“So…” she began, “What do you think of us spending more time together? After you get back from hunting later today, we could hang out at the tavern?”

Morris frowned and drew another arrow.

“I’d like to, but I promised Judd and the others that we’d get together tonight. Unless you’d like to come?”

“Um, no,” Randel replied, “I think that would be too awkward. But can we pick a day where we just hang out for a bit and talk?”

“Like right now, you mean?”

“Yeah, I guess. I just mean…”

Her heart was pounding in her ears. Was she really going to do this? How did someone ask a guy to go out with them?

“What?” Morris asked, “Like a date?”

“Exactly!” Randel cried before she could stop herself.

For a moment, both of them were still. Then Morris started laughing. Randel felt her face burn, and her shoulders dropped.

“That’s a good one, Randel,” Morris said, still chortling and drawing another arrow, “Can you imagine what people would say?”

“Right. That’d be ridiculous,” Randel muttered, standing up, “Anyway, I’ve got to meet Stace. I’ll see you around, I suppose.”

“Alright.”

“Thanks for hanging out. Sorry to leave you like this,” Randel said, picking up her bow.

“It’s fine. I needed the practice anyway. But I’ll admit it’s kind of weird… seeing you like this.”

“I bet it is…” she replied, not turning to look at him.

“I mean… you act differently. Almost like a real girl. It’s not something I ever expected from you. I’m not sure how to feel about it.”

Randel turned around, raising an eyebrow. Morris was wearing a slightly concerned expression. She smiled softly.

“Stace showed me a few things. It’s mostly just so people are more comfortable around me,” she said, striding up with a feminine gait, “Is that okay?”

“I… guess?” Morris replied, glancing away, “You look more comfortable, at least.”

“It feels more comfortable,” Randel admitted, her face starting to burn again, “Can I get a hug before I go?”

Morris blinked in surprise, then he started to blush as well.

“Sure. Why not?” he said, raising his arm uncertainly.

Randel stepped forward and wrapped her arms around Morris’s broad torso. He tensed up for a moment, then wrapped his free arm around her back. Randel breathed in his scent for a moment, then stepped back.

“Thank you for being here for me,” she said.

“Of course, Randel.”

Randel walked away with a warm feeling in her stomach. Morris had laughed off the idea of going on a date, but he’d given her a hug. Maybe their friendship could still go places if she took it slow.

When Randel got to Aldith’s hut, she was a little nervous. But Stace didn’t seem as bothered to see her today. The two bid a brief goodbye to Aldith and they started walking toward town together. The silence between them was a lot more comfortable than the day before.

“Is that your bow?” Stace asked.

“Yeah, I didn’t have time to drop it off at Ro’s house, so I’m stuck carrying it,” Randel explained.

“Are you ready to get back to hunting?”

Randel nodded, replying, “A break is nice, but it will be nice to feel like I’m contributing to the village again.”

“I understand that. I also can’t wait to get back to learning magic.”

“That must be fun. So, hey…” Randel rubbed the back of her neck. “Can we go back to the tailor today?”

“Oh, sure. Hamon probably has the first outfit done already. We should also stop by the cobbler and see if she’s got your new boots ready.”

“Yeah… also…” Randel gulped and started wringing her hands, “I though… I figure if I’m going to be stuck like this for a while… I kind of want at least one dress like every other woman in town has.”

Stace stopped, and so did Randel’s heart for a moment.

“A dress? Are you sure?”

Randel’s heart began to race as she studied Stace’s expression.

“No, it’s a stupid idea,” she muttered.

“It’s not stupid,” Stace said, smiling softly, “Sure. Let’s go there first.”

Randel had to force herself to breathe as she followed Stace. Her head was light. Why had she said anything?

When they entered the shop, Hamon was cutting a roll of fabric on the counter. When he saw who it was, he grinned and held up a finger to indicate they should wait. Then he walked over to a nearby trunk and pulled out a large paper package

“These should fit you just fine,” Hamon said, dropping the plain brown package into Randel’s outstretched hands.

“Actually,” Stace said, “There is something else we’d like to ask of you.”

“Oh? Name it, miss.”

Stace glanced over at Randel, who groaned and lowered her head.

“Randel would like you to make him a dress to wear,” Stace continued.

“He would, now?”

Randel chanced a glance upward. But Hamon didn’t look angry or disgusted like she’d expected. He was nodding slowly.

“I’ll add it to the list of things I’m working on for you.”

“You will?” Randel asked in the smallest voice possible.

“I will.”

“T-thank you so much!” Randel cried, hugging the package close to her chest.

Randel was positively giddy as she followed Stace back to the tavern. It was nearly empty at this time of the day, so the two were able to find a private spot at the bar with space for Randel to put down her package. She tore at the packaging a little bit, getting a glimpse of the green wool shirt inside.

She took a deep breath and looked around the tavern. Even though she was in public, Randel was a lot more at ease than the day before. Maybe she was going to be okay after all.

“So Stace,” she began, “What are you learning from Aldith?”

“Magic,” Stace replied simply, taking her drink from the bartender.

“Okay… what do you normally do for fun?”

Stace shrugged, admitting, “I have some friends I spend time with.”

“Can I meet them?”

Stace paused, then said, “We’ll see.”

“Alright.” Randel was a little annoyed. “How old are you?”

“Is that relevant?”

Randel sighed.

“I’m just trying to get to know you,” she explained.

“There’s not much to know about me. I work with Aldith, I’m learning to do magic.”

Randel groaned a little and took a drink from her tankard.

Then Stace asked, “Are you enjoying being a woman, Randel?”

Randel choked on her drink and started coughing. She sat her drink down and covered her mouth. Stace reached out and placed a hand on Randel’s shoulder, but Randel pulled away.

“Huh?” she asked.

Stace cleared her throat and continued, “Well, you really seemed to like when I taught you to act like a woman, and you’re clearly trying to hold onto that stuff. And now you want a dress of your own. I’m curious to know how much you actually like it.”

Randel gulped and stared into her drink.

“No, it’s not like that,” she said, “Like I said, I just want to make everyone comfortable. I’m really only doing this for appearances.”

“Oh.”

Stace frowned. To Randel’s surprise, she almost looked disappointed. But in an instant it was gone and she was smiling again.

“As long as it’s what you want,” she said.

Randel wanted to ask what she meant, but her gut told her that she wouldn’t like where this conversation went. She let the issue drop and focused on her meal. Randel just wanted to enjoy her time with Stace.

The next morning, Randel was giddy. She almost had a dress of her own, and that kept her in good spirits as she walked to the archery range with Rohesia. Even the fact that she was struggling with her archery couldn’t make her feel bad right now.

“Alright,” Rohesia said, thrusting a quiver into Randel’s arms, “Let’s get started.”

Randel gulped and held her bow in a quivering hand. She took a deep breath to steady her nerves and shook her head. Today was going to be different.

She pulled an arrow, strung her bow, and lowered her head to aim. Her whole body felt a little sore. Randel’s balance was off. Even her arm was shaking from the strain of holding the bowstring back.

The arrow flew and landed on the edge of the target.

“Again!” Rohesia barked, “Faster. You’re taking too long between each shot!”

“I’m sorry!” Randel cried, groaning in frustration.

Rohesia pushed Randel through the whole quiver. Randel was grateful for a small break to recover the arrows. But Rohesia wasn’t done.

“What’s going on in your head, Randel?” she demanded, “You’re better than this. Do you really think I’m going to let you back into the field when you’re this bad?”

“I’ll get it,” Randel whimpered, hanging her head as she walked back.

“Why are you walking like that?” Rohesia asked.

“Huh?”

Randel stopped and tried to figure out what Rohesia was talking about that.

“The past two days,” Rohesia continued, “You’ve been moving differently. Even talking differently. More…”

“Ladylike?” Randel offered.

Rohesia grimaced.

“It doesn’t matter,” she decided, “Take your position again.”

Randel continued to struggle. Every time she slowed down to focus on her form, Rohesia would shout at her to go faster and she’d slip up. Her accuracy was terrible and her fingers hurt. Rohesia kept piling on the verbal assault. This wasn't right. Randel was quivering and close to tears. Training didn't use to hurt this much.

“Randel!”

Randel lowered her bow and let out a whine.

“Raise your weapon!”

Randel shook her head, sobbing once. Then she heard Rohesia approach her. For a moment, Randel actually thought Rohesia was going to give her a hug.

“What’s wrong?” Ro asked.

“It was never this hard before,” Randel told her, blinking away tears.

“It’s hard because you’re starting over, that’s all,” Rohesia replied.

“No, this is different. I can’t do it anymore.”

“Yes, you can. Randel, look at me.” Randel gulped and looked up at Rohesia. “You still have all the strength you used to. You just need to hold onto it. Don’t get lost in what’s happening to you right now. Forget all this stuff about being ladylike, and I know that you’ll pull through.”

Randel frowned. Despite what she’d said to Stace, part of Randel really did enjoy all the things she was trying out. Nobody could know, of course. She’d thought that if she kept it to herself, it wouldn’t be a problem. Were these things really distracting her from the person she needed to be?

She couldn’t end up a disappointment to everybody. Randel knew that much for certain. There were expectations for her to live up to, a life she’d have to return to. There wasn’t time for playing out a fantasy.

“I’m going to be strong,” Randel told Rohesia, “I promise.”

“It’s good to hear that,” Rohesia said, “Take the rest of the day off. We’ll start again tomorrow. You’re strong enough to get through this, believe me.”

“You don’t have to worry about me, Ro,” Randel assured her, wiping the fresh tears from her eyes, “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Get some rest, Randel.”

Randel walked slowly to Aldith’s hut. She needed time to calm her nerves and figure out what exactly she was going to do. Rohesia was probably right. All Randel needed to do was keep her head down and focus on waiting this out.

When Randel reached out to knock on Aldith’s door, though, it opened and Aldith herself was standing there with her big owl eyes.

“Oh, good, you’re here!” she cried, “We have to get to the Grand Hall immediately. Let me grab my notes.”

While Aldith collected her things, Stace came outside to talk to Randel.

“She’s figured out what we have to do to turn you back,” she explained.

“Oh.” It was so soon. “I thought she said at least a week?”

Why did this feel like a punch to the gut?

“Well, we can’t act on it yet,” Stace continued, “She’ll explain when we get there. Your father will want to hear.”

Randel clenched her jaw and nodded. She and Stace followed Aldith through town. As they walked, Randel felt the weight on her shoulders grow. They were standing in front of the Grand Hall far too soon for Randel’s comfort.

Most business in the Grand Hall happened in a large room with a long table at one end. Hann sat in a small throne at the middle, with several other chairs on either side of him for the most important members of the community to sit and collaborate. Right now, it was just him and an assistant with a collection of papers strewn about.

“Well, Aldith,” Hann said, dismissing his assistant with a wave of his hand, “I hope you have answers.”

Aldith opened up the book she was carrying and several loose sheets of paper fell to the floor.

“Good news,” she replied, “The effects of the transformation don’t have to be permanent. Now, not a lot of people ever interact with unicorns—they prefer virginal maidens—but there are a few notes about them that I was able to find, mostly through some of my old contacts—”

“Aldith! Answers!” Hann barked, causing Randel to flinch.

Unfazed, Aldith continued, “Slaying the unicorn in question will nullify all the magical effects of its blood. This applies to anything that the blood is used in. Potions using the blood will lose their effects, for instance. I believe that if we can lure the original unicorn back and kill it, it should reverse the effects that the blood had on Randel here.”

Her expression darkened and she finished, “But I warn you, Hann, unicorns are rare and delicate creatures. You would be doing the magical world a terrible disservice if you actually go through with this plan.”

“As long as it saves my son, nothing else matters,” Hann said decisively, “How do we lure the unicorn back?”

“I’m not entirely sure yet,” Aldith said, flipping through a few pages of notes, “I’ve sent messages to some of my colleagues, but it was my understanding that you wanted to be informed at the first possible development.”

The two continued, but Randel wasn’t listening. Everything felt so far away. Was this really happening?

“Randel?” Stace asked quietly, “Are you okay?”

Everyone was looking at her. Hann was beaming. Stace and Aldith exchanged a concerned glance.

“I… I need to be alone,” Randel said, before turning and heading toward the door.

“Randel!” Hann cried out.

But Randel only picked up her pace and burst out the door. She started running. Where was she going? Randel didn’t know. The only thing that mattered was getting away from that cold, empty hall.

Eventually she slowed to a walk, but kept her head down and avoided looking at anybody. A few stray raindrops started to fall. Randel was going to need to get inside before she got soaked.

She found herself standing outside the village shrine. It didn’t look like there was anybody inside, so she slipped in and sat down in front of the altar. Randel had never been terribly spiritual person. What she really needed right now was the isolation.

“What am I going to do?” she asked herself, “I helped that unicorn, gave it a second chance at life. I can’t kill it. I can’t kill a rare and magical creature like that. Not for my little nothing of a life.”

Randel curled her legs up underneath her and wrapped her arms around herself. She choked back a few sobs, but couldn’t stop the tears streaming down her cheeks. After a moment, she sniffed and broke down sobbing.

What was going on? Why did this hurt so much? It couldn’t just be about hurting the unicorn. She was a hunter; it’s what she did. What was really going on to make her feel so miserable?

“Hello?”

Randel took in a sharp breath and turned around. A young sunburned girl with a ribbon in her hair was standing at the entrance of the shrine, looking at Randel. When she saw that Randel had been crying, she covered her mouth with her hands in surprise.

“Hello,” Randel replied weakly.

“Um…” The girl looked very uncertain of herself. “Are you… are you the girl who used to be a boy?”

Randel sighed, and nodded. Another person come to gawk at her. That’s exactly what she needed to boost her spirits right now.

But the girl was beaming.

“Oh! That’s… um… I just wanted to say…” She paused, looking uncertain. “I think you’re really lucky.”

Randel blinked in surprise. The girl seemed embarrassed, because she turned around and ran off into the light drizzle. Randel was left sitting in a slump in the shrine.

“What?!” she exclaimed.

97