6 – Girl Talk
399 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I was just having a girl's night out with my friends", Beth whispered. "We were just eating pizza. Why did something like this have to happen to me?" she choked on the words.

Amber moved closer to Beth and wrapped her arm around Beth's shoulders, hugging them. Beth leaned her head on Amber's shoulder.

"It's not your fault", Amber reassured her. She was also trying to convince herself. If only she was more careful, if only she listened to the warnings signs, if only she didn't let him get so close, if only she wasn't an idiot then all of this wouldn't have happened to her. She knew it was unreasonable. Plenty of people have stopped to ask her for help and directions in the past without any bad intentions. She was just extremely unlucky this time. Yet she couldn't not shake loose the thought that it was her fault, that she should have done something different, that should could have avoided this situation.

Then a new thought occurred to her. If she hadn't been captured by Dave then Beth would have been here all alone, in pain, terrified, without anyone to support and comfort her. Perhaps her own kidnapping and abuse served a higher purpose: to protect Beth. The thought gave her strength.

"I never imagined something like this would happen to me. I never thought I'd be in danger right next to my house". Once Beth started talking it became a little easier for her to continue. "I just thought he was a regular guy asking for directions. He said he was lost and asked me to help him find the high school on the map, but it was just an excuse for him to get close to me".

"I was waiting for the bus to go home. He did the same thing with me", Amber said softly.

"I feel like an idiot for falling for it". Beth closed her eyes as tears began pooling inside them. She didn't want to cry again so soon.

"Then I'm an idiot too, because I also fell for it". Amber begun stroking Beth's hair, trying to calm her. Beth's breathing slowly became easier. Amber decided to change the topic.

"Where do you go to school?" She asked.

"Elmwood high. I'm a senior. What about you?"

"I'm a freshman at Green Meadows College. I finished high school over a year ago, but took a year off to travel, clear my head, and figure out what I wanted", Amber answered.

"Did you go anywhere interesting?". Amber could see that her efforts at conversation were having the intended effect. Beth was getting distracted from the present situation and starting to relax. She just hoped Dave won't came back any time soon.

"It wasn't about going to interesting places. It was about doing and experiencing interesting thing. I traveled all the way down south with almost no money, so I had to save every penny I could. I mostly slept in parks or in fields, I hitchhiked a lot, and I found all kinds of creative ways to earn a meal. I volunteered in a lot of places because that way I'd get a free meal. I also did all kinds of odd jobs. If I liked a place I'd stay for a few days or weeks. If not then I'd move on quickly. I also kept a diary of what I did every day".

Amber was staring out into empty space as recounted her experiences. What she was seeing was sleepy little towns, sunny beaches, long roads, and friendly people, not the pale yellow walls of her prison.

"It sounds fun" Beth murmured.

"It was tough, but yeah, it was fun, and interesting, and I'll probably never do it again, but in the end I figured out what I wanted in life and came home to get it".

"And what's that?"

"A house, a hot tub, a big soft bed, 3 hot meals a day, and a car, which is why I'm studying computer science. There's a lot of money in programming right now, plus I can work from home or while travelling. Also it's not just crunching numbers or something boring like that. It's making new things that can help people.

"The only problem is I don't know anything about it, which is why I went to study it in college. I still don't know anything about it. It's my first semester and all they taught us so far is some boring introductory classes about how to use a computer and some math. At least I got to meet some new people".

Amber was a little surprised at herself. Usually she didn't say so much, and especially not about herself, preferring to hand in the background and listen rather than talk. It was the situation that brought it out of her, her need to protect Beth, and her own need for comfort by sharing another's company. The conversation provided her with a faint echo of normalcy.

"What do you like to do?" Amber asked.

"I just like going out with my friends, chatting, doing social media. I started posting dancing videos recently. I didn't get a lot of view, but the comments and reactions were good. I'm also on the school volleyball club". Remembering her blissful life seemed to have the wrong effect on Beth. She started tearing up again.

"I don't think I'll ever have another boyfriend again", she she said in a quivering voice.

"Why not?"

"What guy is going to want me after this? How can I trust in anyone?" Beth cried. "I can't bare to let anybody see me".

Amber began tearing up as well, but she kept her voice steady.

"It's not your fault. He did it to you. He forced you. There was nothing you could do. It's all him. Nobody will blame you. You're innocent". Again, Amber while she saying those words to Beth she was also trying to convince herself.

Amber held Beth as Beth sobbed on her, crying silently and repeating over and over again the mantra: "It's not your fault, there was nothing you could do". She continued repeating it long after Beth cried herself to sleep, the way until Dave walked in, carrying a rolled-up thin foam mattress.

3