16 – Epilogue
390 4 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Amber and Beth were sitting across from each other at a coffee shop. Their worried parents were waiting together outside while they talked. It's been two months since their ordeal, and they have seen each other many times at the hospital, the police station, the courthouse, and even each other's homes. It was the first time they'd truly gone out, though.

"How are you?" Beth asked.

"I'm pregnant", Amber blurted out.

"Is it his?" Beth was concerned.

Amber sighed. "Yes".

"What are you going to do about it?" She asked worriedly.

"Do you remember that rabbi who came to the hospital and gave me a Bible?" she said instead of answering. Beth nodded, not sure where this was going. "I didn't want to watch or read anything or go online, but I couldn't just stay with my thoughts so I started reading it, just for a distraction. It was a bunch of weird stories and boring laws, but a few things stuck with me. One of them is where it says that the son is not guilty for the sins of the father".

She looked Beth straight in the eye.

"This baby is innocent. What that man did to me has nothing to do with him. I'm going to raise him with love and teach him right from wrong, and I will never let him know who his father is. I will never let that man know that that this child exists. As far as I'm concerned and as far as the world will know this child doesn't have a father.

I know that every day when I see his face I will be reminded of that man and what he did to me, and it will be tough, but I want to do it".

Tears rolled down her cheeks as she continued.

"I'm grateful for you that you were there with me. If I was alone I'd have probably fought with him with everything I had until he either broke me or killed me. You being there gave me a reason to live. Now, this baby will give me a reason to continue living, and maybe if I live long enough I'll be able to start putting what happened behind me and move on with my life. Maybe some day I can even find love again".

Beth was crying too. "I feel the same way. To me you are the big sister that saved me, and I want to be there with you every step of the way through the pregnancy and after".

The girls stood and hugged over the table, and through the tears, for the first time in 2 months, they smiled.

4