Book 2 Chapter 14: Shocking information
3.3k 17 63
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gaerien’s POV

 

‘That child really does hate me, she was terrified.’ Gaerien’s brow furrowed as she heard that woman’s prayers coming in again. It seemed like just about any stray thought she happened to have that was in some way related to her managed to reach her in the form of a prayer. These irritating prayers had become more frequent since she moved into that Ether guy’s house, and now that the two had interacted directly they had become even more frequent.

 

‘I know it! I don’t know how, but somehow it’s like she knows what I’m thinking. Heh… well, she’s not exactly wrong to be afraid of me… but… no! I never meant any of that! It’s just…’ Her thoughts froze after that, and then they seemed to move off the subject of her. It was only going to be a matter of time though before that woman got to thinking about Gaerien or something related closely enough to her for her to pick it up again, but for the moment she had peace.

 

‘hmm…’ Gaerien began to think to herself, ‘well, since I can finally reach Aerien without worrying about that woman putting her hands on me, maybe I had better see how she’s doing.’ It must be lonely in there stuck in her inner world, doing nothing but trying to look after the kid. Gaerien would likely be doing the same thing in her position, having two spirits in the same body can bring a great deal of power if the two are in full cooperation with one another. Although, power did not seem to be Aerien’s motivation for saving that little urchin. It seemed like she genuinely cared for her. Well, all the better for their future development, but Gaerien still couldn’t quite understand the level of attachment she seemed to have for her younger half.

 

Well, it will deepen her attachment. And, the stronger Aerien is, the stronger Gaerien can become as well. It all worked out well in the end. Well then, for now, Gaerien reached over and allowed her hand to drape over Aerien’s leg.

 

‘Hey, it’s me again. How are you doing.’ There was a long silence, Aerien did not respond immediately. This actually made Gaerien worry for a moment.

 

‘Heh, it’s good to hear your voice again.’ Aerien’s voice finally answered. ‘Just staring out at the rocks and the lightning all day gets old after a while.’

 

Wait, LIGHTNING!? ‘Hold on, did you just say lightning?’

 

‘Yeah, it’s a real mess in here since that incident. I’ve got a bunch of rocks and debris floating around along side fire balls, lightning strikes, and pocket hurricanes everywhere. It’s a good thing they all stay away from the central area, I don’t know what would happen if one of those things hit my younger half in this state.’

 

‘No, no no. I don’t think you get it. Lightning is a ridiculously uncommon element for anyone to have control over, and you have it in ADDITION to the four primary elements!?’

 

‘Huh? I didn’t think it was that unusual. It’s just been storming like this in here constantly is all I know, I thought it was just like a sign of how my spirit had broken down or something.’

 

Gaerien shook her head at the sheer absurdity of what her sister was saying. Mortals of the current Earth just had no concept for how powerful the various forces of nature were. She hadn’t interacted with mortals much recently, but she could see how they had such a depreciating awareness of all things magic. She would never guess it would be to such an extent that her sister didn’t even realize what she had here.

 

Well, she wasn’t going to get anywhere arguing with her on this subject right now. She had to admit she was very interested in what she had just heard, but she wouldn’t be able to really figure out what was going on until she could take a peek inside of Aerien’s inner world again. She had her theories, but she would table those for later. Besides, Aerien would likely think less of her if she did not focus on the things she considered important first.

 

‘Well, anyway, I take it the kid is still doing Ok, relatively speaking I mean.’

 

‘Yeah, she’s still here laying as limp in my lap as my real body is probably in mother’s lap right now.’

 

‘Actually, you got passed off to Rolwen and Levin. We are going through dangerous territory right now, so that Ether guy told her to put you down for now so she could help watch the road.’

 

‘Well, that makes sense.’

 

‘There is something more important I should probably tell you though. I don’t know how much your cultivation raised by, but it looks like it was to an extent where you outgrew your own body.’

 

‘Wait, what does that mean?’ Aerien’s voice had a concerned edge to it now.

 

‘It means you have too much power now for the body of an infant to handle. You’re quite lucky you are a fey, because it’s not likely a human could survive this experience.’

 

‘So, what does this mean for me since I AM a fey then?’

 

‘Well, only that you’re going to grow a lot older in a very short amount of time. You’re basically going to grow until your body is able to contain your new power. You’re already getting close to being as big as Rolwen and Levin, and you’re probably not done with your fast growing either.’

 

‘Wow, that is pretty fast. Just how long has it been since I was in this state anyway?’

 

‘It hasn’t even been a full day yet.’

 

‘Wow! A whole year worth of growth in a single day!? No, that’s only a year by human standards, I’m an elf now, right? That’s absolutely crazy. Well, it’s probably a good thing I’m asleep right now. I’m sure the growing pains for that would be insane.’

 

‘Growing pains?’

 

‘Oh, PLEASE don’t tell me you have been a goddess so long you forgot what growing pains are?’

 

She always seemed fine with the humans though. Could it be...Gaerien’s brow furrowed as an unpleasant voice cut into her thoughts Could it be that those girls are the same as…’

 

‘Gaerien? What’s going on? You went quiet there.’

 

‘I’m sorry, I got distracted by something out here.’

 

‘No! That’s GOT to be it! They really might be!’ It did not look like this was going to stop any time soon, and it was starting to look like the contents of these thoughts might even be worth paying attention to.

 

‘Sorry Aerien, I’ve got to go for now.’

 

‘Yeah, well, thanks for the chat anyway.’

 

-

 

Eirlathion’s POV

 

Eirlathion looked at the book in his hands, positively stunned by what he was reading. He had to re-read the same line several times to make certain he was seeing it right. If this was accurate, it could completely revolutionize the world’s understanding of magic!

 

But seriously! It’s not just the fact that it contains never before seen spells. This goes FAR deeper than just that. No, the thing that was of greater interest than anything else is that every single spell in this book fell under a single category. Bloodline magic.

 

This book… it was entirely dedicated toward artificially altering your own bloodline to contain magic. So far as bloodline magic goes, the Elves had the green word. The faeries had the faerie’s light. And, when elven blood was mixed with human blood, the bloodline magic of the green word becomes twisted to the earth’s whisper. Those were the bloodline magics that were known, but it was also theorized that the dragons and the demons must have their own bloodlines. The dragons tended not to talk much about their own magic though, while the fey dragons mainly used the faerie’s light and rarely did anything with the magic of their past life except in desperate situations. As for the demons, it’s quite understandable as to why there was little known about their bloodlines. Perhaps as the girls grew they could yield some clues as to the nature of demon bloodline magic.

 

Bloodline magic was innate magic one was born with, and while it may start off weak it could be strengthened and developed over time. The green word of the elves was one such example, and this book taught how to add new spells compatible with the green word to the innate bloodline spells of the elves. Upon properly learning the spells from this book, all of his descendants would naturally gain the exact same spells as they develop in their cultivation, even if they choose to become warriors instead of mages. This was… truly powerful.

 

Eirlathion trembled as he looked through the book. He had been in a daze ever since realizing the potential of the words within these pages, but now he had arrived at the spell Sagel had told him about. Plant’s vitality. This was a powerful magic that, once it became part of your bloodline would give you the vitality of a tree. Like all the other bloodline magics, this one strengthened with your cultivation. However, the most shocking thing about it was its ability to extend one’s lifespan.

 

Advancing one’s cultivation already extended your lifespan, but having this as part of your bloodline would multiply the effect, and once one reached the seventh rank your lifespan would no longer be limited at all. There were also amazing boosts to one’s durability and ability to survive through damage that would kill a normal person. Healing in the sunlight almost seemed like the least of the effects from this powerful magic.

 

About the only drawback perhaps was the fact that it permanently consumed a spell vessel, which would need to be embedded directly into the body of one’s spirit. The ingredients to establish the spell were also something that caught his attention. The wood from the body of a powerful tree spirit infused with the blood of a fairy.

 

Eirlathion looked to his staff. There was absolutely no doubt. This was the real reason Dryad had given him this staff. Indeed, it was a powerful magic medium. However, this would be a far more powerful use of it. But, it wasn’t something he could do now. He did not have the time to set up this ritual, and loosing that staff at this time would greatly lower his ability to protect them from Demons.

 

He let out a sigh and closed the book. The spells inside of it were quite amazing, but none of them were something he could set for use right now. For the remainder of this journey, he was going to have to rely on the spells he had right now. On that notion though, there WAS something he actually could do in the short term.

 

Sagel had recommended he shorten his spell chants. This would create a far less efficient spell that would generate a lot more arcane energy, but right now they were going into an area already filled with the stuff, they had a party consisting completely of people who had a far higher resistance to the stuff, and they simply could not afford the time wasted on chanting when they were faced with an enemy.

 

Thanks to this staff, shortening his chants to a single line would make them effectively chantless. For the sake of this short journey, that would be of great benefit. The only issue would normally be the amount of spirit energy he would need to consume in order to re-write the chants on his spells. Had he not confirmed Aerien’s condition a moment ago, he would hesitate to consume that much from the area for fear of depriving her.

 

Aerien did not seem to need any external spirit energy from what he could tell. It seemed she was still generating it all on her own. Judging by how quickly she was growing now, she may even be generating more than before and is just consuming it too quickly for it to escape. If she were a normal child, he would question whether or not it’s healthy for her to grow faster than her maturity could account for, but knowing they have preserved all their memories he was set relatively at ease. As soon as her issues are addressed by the queen, she ought to be quite happy no longer being limited to the small body she had before she lost consciousness.

 

Long term aside, in the short term this meant that he did not have to worry about her. The spirit energy generated by the boys aside, they were coming closer and closer to the heaven’s scar now. It had been two years, but there was still a very dense amount of lingering spirit energy in the air all around. With this at hand, he ought to be able to re-write his spells in record time.

 

-

 

??? POV

 

The Heaven’s Scar. 2 years ago, a great pillar of light fell from the sky, a cataclysmic event that had been dubbed the Heaven’s Fall. The Heaven’s Fall hit the land with such great force and overwhelming power that it had simply carved a great vertical pit deep into the ground. Normally, the force of something hitting the surface would leave a crater. However, the Heaven’s Fall hit with such overwhelming but point-focused force that the land around its edges did not rise. The center of the point of impact was simply destroyed, leaving a perfectly circular vertical shaft that went straight down into the earth.

 

This was not to say the damage was isolated. As the main focus of the energy was digging into the land, the sheer wind force uprooted trees and blew away top soil for miles around, making for a large area around the scar devoid of any greenery, nothing was there except for the grey craggy bedrock upon which forested lands full of trees once stood.

 

That was the state of it until two weeks ago. At this time, however, a large tree was suspended over the center of the great pit. Due to the sheer scale of the Heaven’s Scar, one could be forgiven for thinking this to be a normal tree, and the greenery around its base to be something along the lines of moss. However, scale can be deceptive. What would be mistaken for moss on the soil at the base of the tree is, in fact, an entire canopy of regularly sized trees completely dwarfed by the overwhelming arbor towering over them. These trees rest on a torn out chunk of land torn straight from the ground and held together by the great tree’s roots.

 

The size of this tree and the patch of soil beneath it would normally take one’s breath away, but that is only until you noticed that even this huge island does not completely cover up the central pit of the Heaven’s Scar. The sheer size of the scar is so great, in fact, that two more trees of the exact same overwhelming size could easily be placed in a line inside of the mouth of the pit, and none of them would be at risk of touching the other.

 

The roots of the great tree at the very center of the pit stretch out to the edges of the Heaven’s Scar, biting deep into the bedrock and tethering the large tree and the block of soil secured at its base and preventing the whole structure from falling into the abyss below. Even now, additional roots are visibly growing from the chunk of soil and reaching out to the edges, slowly but surely covering up the scar on the land.

 

Coiled within the upper branches of this great tree is an equally large serpentine body. This mighty winged serpent bears a look of intense concentration on its face as it maintains the spell which continues to hold the weight of the tree, at least until the roots become numerous enough to easily hold the massive object on their own. Suddenly, before this serpent, a lightly glowing spiritual form appears. From outward appearances, it would appear to be a woman. However, all those who live in the fey lands are well aware that tree spirits such as this have no actual gender.

 

“Oren, I was just contacted. It seems a new dryad has awoken in this area.” The spirit announces. The angular draconic head of the gigantic fey dragon turns to look at the projection of this tree spirit that could even be said to be the symbol of this entire forest.

 

“That is good to hear Isanil. Did the spirit tell you the village they inhabited?” 

 

“They did, but that is not the important part!” The spirit Isanil said with a large grin on their face. “They did not awaken in a natural way, it was spurred on by an outside power. The one who woke up the dryad is on her way here right now. It seems she needs some help.”

 

“Isanil, I understand you are likely excited over this, but please try to stay calm. Now then, is there more that you can tell me about this individual?”


Subscribers' comments of the chapter

"Sometimes Aerien really acts like a little sister. And it's good to see that Gaerien actually sees her as her sister and not some tag along."

                                                                                  -meowingLexi

"In spell casting anyway, but Aery is 150% better at life ^-^, also with this feel Gaerien(calling it kuundere) gives shes going to end up a clingy twin who cant be apart from her little sis for a sec without freaking out in the end game."

                                                                                 -Roy


Should I comment on this exchange? I want to comment on this exchange, but I don't think I can without giving spoilers.

63