Book 2 chapter 26: Growth potential
3.1k 19 76
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Author's note.

I apologize to everyone for being a little late. (It seems people have caught on to and rely on how consistently I post down to the hour.) I actually slept through the posting time, which is why this is a few hours late.


 

Aerien’s POV

“So, you really did mean what I thought you meant, huh?”

‘Yes, I made my decision.’The dragon queen said. ‘When you have woken up, you will no longer be the child of the elf who gave birth to you. I will be your mentor, and I will also be your mother.’

“So, you are saying that adoption is part of a package deal with this? I am not certain how I feel about that, but I guess I was prepared to be taken from my mother over this anyway.”

‘Hmm… you look as though you would have preferred something else. A servant perhaps?’ She looked at me with a piercing gaze. ‘I see, I have some trouble with the concept, but I have heard about this. It seems elves get rather attached to their family in their younger years. However, I did not expect it in the short time you ought to have been alive. Tell me then, what has she done to forge such a powerful relationship? I am interested to hear this.’

What has she done? Absolutely nothing. She has even turned her back on me when my younger half was calling out to her in tears. I can sympathize with her reasons, but it really is painful to be treated in that way. Perhaps… it is just hope? I have hope we can forge a better relationship. In the case of this queen though, it is rather clear she is not looking for that kind of parent child relationship. They may acknowledge it as adoption and a parent-child relationship, but they “adopt” one another mostly as adults beings fey, with the exception of elves, are born fully grown. It simply would not be the same, and it would also be cutting off any chances of that hope I had held coming to fruition.

‘Do you not want to tell me child?’ The queen goads me when I had not answered for a while. ‘Well, I will tell you this. It is for the best that you accept this arrangement. You recall that dryad? It was your power that caused it to awaken. If I know those spineless lesser dragons, they may wind up trying to blame you for anything that dryad does in the future. My protection and gaining status as royalty will be the best way for you to protect yourself.’

My brows narrowed at this indirect threat of hers. I felt like it was a mafia shakedown sort of situation. On the one side, I had this promise of a reward beyond imagining at the expense of something that is, by it’s nature, against my principles to cast aside. On the other hand, a promise of some form of unspecific harm that “could befall me” if I refuse. Granted, what she’s threatening is simply to stand out of the way should someone else want to harm me. From the picture as I gather it, grey elves such as myself don’t normally have a very long life expectancy anyway. Perhaps this really is my best option.

I have no cravings for power. I know of the corrupting influence it can have. However, I am now in a position where I require power just to protect my own life. I am not going to ever get a better chance than this. However…

“Well, you are making a rather compelling argument. However, there is somethings specific you want me to do for you, isn’t there? You would not have put so much effort into coming in here and expended so much energy helping me to fix my other half if you did not have something particular in mind.”

‘Hmmm?’ She seemed… pleased, extremely pleased for some reason. ‘You have a very good future ahead of you indeed.’ She said. ‘Very well. Yes. Once again, this is related to that dryad you raised. According to Sagel’s report, they are incredibly strong. Not as strong as Isanil, the dryad of the tree the capital is based around, but they very well may be difficult for even a duke ranked dragon to handle if they got out of control. The entire fey court is quite nervous about them. What we need, is another royal ranked power among the court. Yours is not a true royal power, but that dryad has an attachment to you. If you combine that with your energy summoning ability, I believe you ought to be able to control that dryad.’

“Well, I don’t know anything about that.” I respond. “I understand though. I think I can feel better about this arrangement now that everything’s in the open.”

‘Yes, I am glad you are so understanding.’ She stretched her wings and seemed to sink into a state of relaxation now that our little negotiation session about my adoption had been finished. ‘A little longer until I have recovered I think. Perhaps you can use that time to make some more progress on your younger self’s spirit. I believe your physical body was female, correct? It would not be good for you to be without a female spirit for too long.’

“Thank you, I think I will do that.” Besides, after all of this, I definitely needed some time away from my new dragon mother in order to process all of this. I set the body of my younger self to float in the center of my dantian, my third chakra, and then instantly traveled to where I had left her reconstructed spirit manifestation. It was a whole lot smaller than before it broke. In fact, it was only as big as her projection.

I came to a strange realization, what was the connection between that projection and this manifestation? Clearly, that was her real spirit hovering inside of my manifestation. However, the things that happened to this structure I had built affect her directly. There must be some rule behind it, but I was struggling to find it. Well, I am certain Gaerien probably knows. It may even be possible that the queen in there might know the answer as well, she didn’t seem to think it was the slightest bit strange that what I was doing should affect my other self in there.

Anyway, back to the matter of size. This new body for her really was small. Comparing it to the absolute giants, you could say that she was tiny. Perhaps it had something to do with her lack of access to the energy of heaven from the meditation. Well, there was a simple way to fix that. I drew her chakra vessels down her legs and to her feet, and then I formed her sole chakras. Now she had the nine chakras that were the minimum to start the process… however, nothing happened. I looked up to the light at the top of this space. Nothing was happening at all.

Perhaps it is because she is still asleep. It started immediately when I constructed these nine chakra for my own manifestation, and it immediately began growing until it filled the entire space after I did so. The main difference really was the fact that I was awake at the time, and made those chakra myself. Meanwhile, she’s asleep and I am making them for her. Well, if that’s the problem, then maybe it’s fine that her manifestation is this small. It ought to be the correct size again once she begins the meditation.

Well then, I guess I will just keep making the lesser chakra until she wakes up. I have already been through this whole thing once and it took me two weeks. I wonder how long it is going to take me this time.

-

Eirlathion’s POV

Túeth had a blank look on her face as she looked up at the top of the queen’s nose. None of them could see the top of her head from their position, her size was just so completely overwhelming. However, all of them knew that Aerien was resting on top of that giant head at this moment.

Eirlathion watched her with concern, wondering what was going through her mind at this moment. This was the moment they had been anticipating. This was when Aerien’s life would be saved, but they all knew that as a daughter she would be lost to Túeth from this point forward. None of them knew what purpose her majesty would put that child to, but it was a certainty that the only reason she would agree to save Aerien is to acquire the incredible power that child possessed.

“Don’t worry, I’m sure she’s fine.” Eirlathion said.

“Why hasn’t she woken up?” She asks in a distant tone. It left some doubt as to whether she would have said the same thing regardless of what platitude Eirlathion had given her.

“Well, I do not know the answer to that.” He said.

“You said earlier, when everyone was in an uproar over the queen’s energy weakening, that it was probably her healing Aerien!” Túeth responded.

“Yes, it can not be anything else. I can not tell you what might still be happening in there, but whatever is happening, her majesty’s energy is recovering at a rather incredible rate. It should not be possible to accumulate that much energy in such a short time, unless you have Aerien’s power. Perhaps she is aiding the queen in thanks for healing her? I think we can probably take it as a good sign.”

Eirlathion sighed and turned back to look toward the queen’s colossal head laying in front of him. He had only ever sensed Aerien’s power in terms of what spilled over and leaked from her body. That was enough to make her feel like a true dragon in terms of what her energy felt like, but certainly nothing like the queen. However, right now she was restoring the queen’s energy after it had been partially depleted. This would mean what he had felt from her must barely even scrape the surface of what she was capable of. Just how great IS that child’s power?

As he was pondering these things, he turned to see a white robed winged person, one of the great fairies, gently hovering toward them. They had all become so anxious and goal-oriented over getting Aerien here, and now with their mission accomplished his awareness had narrowed. He had partially blocked out the large number of others that were here. They were still in the presence of what must be the entirety of the senior fey court, all of those who ruled the forest were here together at the crown of this tree, and here they were so shamelessly standing a mere few body lengths from the nose of the queen as she was in a state of self-induced unconsciousness. It must not be all that good an image to those gathered here, it was really a wonder no-one had stepped forward to confront them until now.

This is what he thought must be going on as the great fairy approached them, but when he saw the man approaching them gently raise his hand in a gesture as though to ease them it slightly confused him.

“My greetings,” the approaching great fairy said. “I am Gailben, Senior Viscount rank of the fey court. I understand you were all residents of the village from which a new troublesome dryad has arisen. While the queen is healing the child, the court would like to ask you for some information on this dryad.” His gaze was stern, it was clear he was not going to take well to any nonsense on this issue.

“Of course, lord Gailben.” Eirlathion addressed him. “I was the magus of the former village of cundo. My apprentice, Túeth, was taken into our village two years ago after her village was attacked by the demon elves. I think you will find my information to be more useful. I will answer all of your questions to the best of my ability.”

-

Aerien’s POV

My whole body hurt. I don’t know why, I just hurt. The old man was protecting me when somebody attacked, and then there was just a lot of pain as things went crazy. Everything hurt just sooo much, and then I feel like I went to sleep. Or, I must have gone to sleep, because now I was waking up.

My body still hurt, but the pain was no where near as bad as before. I moved and groaned and I realized that I was floating in the air, so that means I have to be in my spirit world. I guess that makes sense, that was where I was when I went to sleep after all. Everything was bright white too. How was I able to sleep with so much light shining in my eyes? Well, I don’t think I could know the answer to that question. I was just able to somehow. Maybe it was because of how badly I was hurt.

It took a little while for my head to clear after I woke up. Everything felt so fuzzy. I vaguely started to get an idea of where I was, but for some reason as I sat up I saw some kind of gigantic snake with wings.

‘Old man!’ I cried for his help in my mind, and I was very grateful that he was right next to my side in the very next second, and then I was immediately swept up in his arms.

“Hey there, no need to be afraid.” He said. “Just calm down, look through our shared memory. You will be able to understand everything.”

What!? Right. I was so confused when I woke up that I almost forgot I could do that. The information all started to ease into my brain at once, as though I had always known it. My eyes immediately flew open at one particular piece of information. “What!? She’s our mother now!?” I said, pointing to the dragon queen who was looped around the outside of the old man’s third chakra, basking in the light of the energy coming in as she looked toward us like she was enjoying the show.

So, she’s supposed to be our mother, but... if my memories from the old man are correct, she seems kinda mean and the only reason she liked us was because she was talking to the old man. I immediately looked down, I didn’t want to accidentally say something that might make her mad.

“So,” the old man said, “thank you again for helping me to revive her. This is my other half, the part of me that came to be after I was in my new body for this life. Our minds are linked and we have all of the same knowledge, but our personalities are a bit different.”

“Mmm.” I responded to the old man’s words with a nod to back them up.

‘I see.’ The dragon queen said. ‘Child, why do you avert your gaze from me like that?’

“She is afraid that, since she is somewhat childish compared to me, that she may offend you if she were to interact with you.”

“What!? Don’t tell her that!” I yelled at the old man for selling me out, but due to our connection I instantly received his reasoning and immediately felt embarrassed.

‘Oh? That is not good child. You are to become a member of royalty. In order to serve in that role, you must have confidence. Well, since half of you already knows this much, I am certain you will be able to shake off this weakness in due time.’

I managed to keep myself from cringing at my new mother’s scolding. I knew it would only make her more angry if she saw that.

“Oh? Now that’s interesting.” The old man said. “She has already accepted you as her mother.”

“Hey!” Seriously old man! Stop telling her whatever I’m thinking!

I could sense the queen’s laughter at this interaction. ‘Yes, just like that. Tell your other half how angry you are.’

“Oh, she really is letting me have it over our mental link.” The old man says.

“You both are mean!”

‘Hmmhmm... yes, there are a lot of mean people out there. You are going to have a long way to go if this little bit of jabbing gets to you girl.’ I can get a sense of her smiling. It is really weird. Her actual mouth didn’t really move to show a smile, it was more like I could feel the emotion of a smile projected by her mind. From what I got from the old man’s memories, it seems like this is how dragons show their emotions. Well, this means she is smiling while she is poking at me, and it is made even worse that the old man is a traitor now. It’s just unfair. But, I can’t even say that. I have the old man’s memories and reasoning always telling me exactly what his reasons are for what he is doing.

There is a very good reason for all of this. I am able to understand it too. It is like the queen, my new mother, said. It is all so I can be a good princess and be able to deal with people who really hate me or who are trying to trick me. I have to be tough to deal with people like that. Of course, I could just have the old man deal with them, but he thinks I should be able to handle it myself.

Yeah, like I said before, it’s just unfair. I can’t even tell them that they are wrong. That’s how unfair this is.


Subscribers' comments of the chapter

"Yes!!!! She's back!!!"

                              -meowingLexi

"Poking Aerien sounds like a great hobby"

                               -NohVoha

"I want some illustrations of her pouting."

                                -meowingLexi

"dragon mom is going to be messing with this little girly just for fun all the time i bet ya."

                               -Roy

"I can just picture Gaerien teasing her as well from now on."

                               -meowingLexi


Poor little Aerien. I just couldn't help but include the entire comment stream of the subscribers cheering for her continued teasing.

76