Chapter 8: Bird Feeding
258 4 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

-Hollow-

“Did you hear about the human settlement a few miles north of here?”

In a rural colony of farms and shops, villagers go about picking poor wheat and corn, leveling their fields as they gossip tales to one another.

“They say that it was leveled by a Ruiner. A woman with fangs like a raven took her anger out on the settlement.”

The farmer wipes his beat red forehead.

“This is getting out of control! We need to be protected from such things!”

“Dear, the knights and exorcists are doing all that they can to ensure our safety.”

“Yeah, but I heard that Ruiner took out one of the exorcists who happened to be in settlement. The raven like beast brought out a monstrous light and devoured her!”

“What a terrible world! Oh, what a terrible world!”

The older woman yells in anguish, tossing her hoe into the grass.

“Tsk.”

We walk by the group of bumbling idiots. My newfound dog giggles as she rushes up to me.

 “Humans sure like to gossip, huh?”

Eve jest.

“Aren’t you human?”

I sneer at her.

“Technically yes, I am as human as everyone else besides the fact that I can’t be killed.”

She then snickers while keeping that eerie face.

“Or probably I am a demon…who knows?”

We venture through the corroded collection of dry grass and sorry excuses of merchant shops leisurely.

“Hm, hey I’m a little hungry.”

“You never starved to death, right? Now’s a better time than any.”

“How mean! You can at least offer me some food. Why are we here anyway?”

I crest my eyes and turn to the side. To be honest, I walked towards this way because I smelled food. Not because I was hungry but because…humans were nearby.

“Nnnng.”

I bit my lip. I was only here because I was still unconsciously searching for…a Carla.

Eve steps in front and cocks her head.

“Hey, what’s your favorite food, sparrow?!”

“Didn’t I tell you…”

“I’m sure you had a favorite food before you became all god among demons!”

I knock her upside the head.

“First, my name’s Hollow. If you keep calling me sparrow, someone is going to catch on.”

Eve puffed her cheeks now.

“Hey, if you won’t take me to get food I’ll cause a scene!”

“You’re so needy, how the hell did I ever run into you?”

I kick my feet and take out a small bag.

“I don’t require food, but I do require rest. How about we settle at an inn for the time being and I give you some money to spend?”

The blondie puts her hands on her hips.

“Eh, aren’t you the escort here?! How can you dare say you want me to go alone and get food while you sleep your lazy ass in a nice bed?”

Annoyed I clicked my tongue.

“You are being such a child. F-Fine, what are you in the mood for?”

Finally, the mood of the spoiled child brightened as she beamed.

“Something sweet!”

“She reminds me so much of a certain someone…”

 I thought as the name Carla hovered in my mind.

“Is that the real reason I decided to take her to End of Time?”

My head looked towards the crystal-clear moon dancing about the sky.  

“Hey birdie, do you not like sweet things?”

I then gaze back down to see the lump of a girl stubbornly watching my expression.

“It doesn’t matter.”

I scoff as I journey forward. Soon enough we come up to a pastry shop and with the fresh smell of baked bread and deliciousness. Eve is the first one to hop inside. I reluctantly follow in, mindlessly if anything.

“Oh, they got chocolate filled!”

Eve beamed as she checked the glass case. The small shake was poorly lit and only a few patrons walked about. Mostly older clientele. Stains of old wine littered the floor making me believe this once was a pub or something.

“Just don’t go too wild. Here, let’s take a seat before we attract too much attention.”

I tug her shoulder and bring her to a round wooden table. We sat on harsh stools that spun when we moved our hips. Menus were already placed on the table.

“So, what are you getting birdie?”

“Listen, if you keep joking like that the wrong people will take notice of me. Stop.”

“Fine…but your names so…Hollow.”

She giggled with her eyes closed.

“Hehe…”

“Oh, was that a chuckle?”

“What?”

I could feel the blood rise to my face.

“You like stupid ass puns, don’t you?!”

I reached for my blade. If I kill her now the town would freak out…but I’m debating if it’ll be worth it…?

“O-Okay, I’ll stop picking on you.”

Eve held out her hand, probably noticing my intent to kill.

“Anyway…I’m getting the chocolate-filled pastry with a raspberry one also! Oh, and chocolate milk!”

She squealed, kicking her feet about. My stomach hurt just thinking about her causing me to gag out loud.

“That sounds terrible…”

“Oh, what are you getting?”

“Some water and bread.”

“What?! You can’t just opt-out and get water and bread! What kind of person are you?!”

“Person? I think you’re mistaking me for being a person, that’s your first mistake. Second, I don’t much care for sweet things, bitter things, salty things, or the like. Anything is fine, I won’t die without them.”

Eve’s smile waned a bit to my surprise. She then crossed her arms and turned to the side.

“You might not be…human but you should at least try to enjoy your life a little, Hollow.”

“Hm?”

Those words hit something in me…

“…Do more humans have that outlook on life?”

I questioned now.

“Hellooo! Are you ready to order?!”

A tall woman with torn apron approaches from the side. With a smile mirroring the morning lightest twilight and a sunflower on her hat, pen in hand she was the staple of a county bumpkin. Eve glee with excitement as I crossed my arms.

“I’ll have this, and that, and that, and that, and…”

“Stop!”

“Eh?!”

Surprised, Eve shrieked in her seat.

“You said you only wanted a few things!”

“Ah, I’m ordering for the both of us silly!”

She waved her hand with a sly gaze to the side.

“I told you I only wanted bread and water…”

“Don’t listen to her, she hasn’t been out very much, so she doesn’t know proper eating etiquettes.”

Eve turned to the waiter.

“Look how scrawny she is too. It’ll be a shame if we can’t put any meat on her bones now won’t it be, babe?”

Now being scrutinized, the waiter turned to me. She looked me up and down. I had every intention to stab her in the stomach and watch her bleed to death if she kept it up.

“The blondie’s right, you need a bit more meat if you want to attract those lovers.”

“Right?!”

I clicked my tongue and crossed my arms.

“Fine, do whatever you want…”

“I was going to anyway!”

Eve stuck her tongue out. What a tenacious being. After a while, the waiter brought a plate of food our way.

“Say ahhhhhh.”

“No.”

Eve held out a pasty my way. I belatedly refused as she pushed it towards me.

“Like this...AHHHHHHHHHH.”

She obnoxiously opened her mouth like a bird wanting to be fed.

“I said no….”

“C’mon you can do it…AHHHHH!”

“Cut it out already!”

Eve stood up and slammed the table.

“But I ordered all this food and you’ve only taken one bite and sip some water! This isn’t healthy!”

“I’ve already told you…sit down….”

“No, I won’t until you eat!”

Face puffed Eve pushed the croquet in my face.

“C’mon, I want you to try it! Please!”

“Annn…arrgg….”

The croquet pushes violently at my cheeks with a slight opening she shoved it through causing me to gag for air.

“Now chew, c’mon, chew.”

Reluctantly, I munched away at the forced meal. I touched my blade, it warmed up…in a second her head could be across the room.

“How is it?”

“It’s too sweet…will you please leave me alone now?”

“Hmm…try this one!”

“Attention!!! Can I have everyone’s attention please?!”

That familiar voice echoed through the door. I looked at Eve and we both nodded as we stood up and made our way to the entrance.

“My name is Exo 4 and I have come to rid this settlement of a Ruiner who leered her way in!”

"S-Shut up, Exo 4! You have no right to talk right now!"

Down the street that twin tail exorcist marched. She pushed out her tongue and scanned the rural pathway. That irritated me...Alongside her a strange small girl with long white hair, dog-like ears, and an old-fashioned kimono dress. The kind of ancient times. Her mana levels exceeded that of the taller one...Exo 4 she called her.

 

 

 

“Tsk, how did she find us?”

“Hm, two of them this time? Can you handle them both, Hollow?”

I tapped my blade eagerly.

“I just might have to…”

13