Chapter 15: The Coastland Capital, Serio
284 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

-Hollow-

 

On the hill overlooking the Serio Coastland Capital, I perched at the edge.

“From here we’ll need a plan.”

I turned to Eve sitting on the ground with an odd fruit in her hand.

“So, who are the Demon Council, Hollow?”

“They are a collection of Ruiners who vowed to keep Wails messages alive. They work in the shadows and dictate the human and demon war.”

“Hm, how many are in their ranks?”

“I don’t know…but they won’t hesitate to eliminate demons who go against their wishes.”

Eve laughed quietly.

“Interesting. Even the demons have no loyalty to their people.”

“The Demon Council is a hidden organization only known to Ruiners or high-level demons. I was offered to be amongst their ranks as well.”

Eve rubbed her fruit then took a bite.

“Mmm…what happened?”

“I told them that I didn’t want the job to watch over a Wails Fragment.”

“Huh? They asked you to watch over a Wails Fragment?!”

I nodded.

“Yes, but as I said, I rejected them…now the Demon Council wants little to do with me.”

I stood off the rock and veered at the Kingdom city more intently now.

“That’s not good then…”

Eve rubbed the back of her head, still chewing away at her fruit.

“I killed three of their highest Ruiners and told them if they ever mess with me again…I would devastate their numbers.”

“Wow, glad you’re on my side.”

With that, I glided my blade along the ground.

“Our mission is clear. Find the location of the Wallowing Bane and eliminate him for the Wails Fragment.”

Eve tilted her head at me like an owl.

“Hey, if you can sense the Wails Fragment then can’t we easily find the Wallowing Bane?”

“This is as close as I can get to it. I know it’s around Serio, but the Wallowing Bane is likely masking its location. But I will find him at all costs…”

“Are you planning to take out an entire army for him?”

“Only if I must…”

“I was joking, Hollow.”

“Hm?”

I tilted my head at her. I’m not sure where the joke was supposed to be in her statement but that didn’t matter. So, I turned back…scouting out the Serio Draw Bridge. If I could, I would like for the Council to never know I’m here. I could collect information and bring down the Wallowing Bane before the other demons or Ruiners detect that the Forbidden Bird had been there.

“Hm?”

It was then that I spotted someone. She held herself with pride as she kicked about across the bridge. With a smaller build and two long ponytails, she gathered herself up to the two guards who held dominion of Serio. Her pure white dress brought on the sense of nobility. In other words, she was an important demon at the very least.

“Let’s go, Eve. I need to have a closer look.”

I took Eve’s hand and jumped off the highpoint. She dropped her fruit while garbling something to me. Once we landed, I raced with her in my hands to a nearby rock and took cover.

“Can we even hear anything from here?

“I can…”

“That’s right…bird demon and all.”

There she sat, waiting as I listened in…

“How dare you treat me like a scrub?!”

 

 

She shouted like a brat not getting her way in a candy store. But suddenly that eeriness in the pit of my stomach came about. The scent only worthy of those…blessed by Wails.

“Listen, Greenhorn, by orders of Vanadic, you will complete your task then you are allowed to go home!”

“Greenhorn?!”

She shrieked as she kicked the guard in the shins. He caved over as the other guard approached warily.

“Forgive him Lady Silvertine!”

“He can go to hell! How dare he treats me like I’m below him!”

“He was just saying what Headmaster Vanadic wanted him to say…please have mercy on him.”

“How much I’ve done for this sorry place. Vala would be outraged if he heard you say those things to me.”

The girl now named Silvertine puffed her cheeks and made her way in. There we sat, watching this sorry display of power get handed to them.

“Seems she knows Vala.”

“Oh, is that right?

“And…she’s a Ruiner.”

“Is that so?”

“Okay, here’s our objective. We’re going to trail that Ruiner and find out where Vala is. I’m going to suppress my Ruiner powers…to not be detected.”

“You’re the boss, Hollow.”

Eve certainly acts as a spectator. I was slightly annoyed by that, but I let it go as we both took to our feet. Water bashed against the cement as we made our way across the Great Draw Bridge. Eve stood behind me as I warned her to.

“Remember, don’t talk, don’t stare and stay behind me, Eve.”

I warned as I tugged her jacket. All Eve did was groan as we made our way to the gate. There stood the two soldiers with lizard tails holding down the fort. Seems they’ve cleaned themselves up already.

“Bird, what is your business here?!”

I wanted to cut them in half, but I stopped myself.

“Hm…I’m just here to rest.”

They then turned to Eve who still had that creepy smile on her face.

“And who’s this human?”

 

 

“She is my pet.”

I said while rubbing her cheek. My nose nuzzled against her silky blond hair. Unconsciously, a sharp smile escaped onto my lips as I did this. Eve didn't seem to mind in the slightest. I could venture the guess that she enjoyed this charade.

“I just came from a settlement and wanted to take a prize from it? Is that wrong of me?”

The man coughed, likely creeped out by my proposal. He turned to his partner who shrugged indifferently.

“You aren’t the first one who has a strange taste like this. Make sure you check in with the reception on your way in.”

The guard on the left chimed in.

“Oh, and don’t let that dog cause any trouble.”

“Of course, let’s go girl.”

Without further questions, they parted letting us through. Eve growled as we walked by, probably getting too into her part. I was about to gut her in the stomach, but she calmed down enough that I didn’t feel like it was necessary.

“Hey…I smell something fierce in there, Hollow.”

“You’ve never been to a demon settlement, have you, Eve?”

There was something different about them. Demons still have to eat to maintain themselves and with the lack of wildlife and food around because of the mana…They find other ways to supply themselves. Eve is about to discover the truth that this war had done to our people…

“Eve…”

“Hm? What’s up?”

“Do you remember when you made that joke about demons eating the marrow of humans?”

Eve held her stomach, I turned back to see her still casting that smile though.

“A-Are you serious?”

Eve chuckled warily then she jogged closer to me now.

"Demons are told to harvest human remains during battles in the war. They then preserve them and feed them to the troops. They then supply major cities like Serio with packaged goods..."

Eve didn't say anything for a while as we walked through the mountain high entry. But then her voice finally trickled in...

“Hey Hollow, I could feed a village I bet...”

Her chest brushed up against my side. I couldn’t tell but for the first time, I could venture the guess that Eve was afraid. Rightfully so since if she’s discovered to be immortal…

“Stay by me.”

Our mission was set. Find that silver-haired child and learn the location of Vala. Because the longer we stay in the Fallen City of Serio the more danger Eve will be in.

7