Chapter 16: Silvertine – The Hush [Bath Scene]
223 4 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

-Hollow-

The wind’s breeze gently across the streets of Serio City.  Walking around are demons of all kinds. Boars, goats, lizards, birds, so on so forth. Despite the difference in culture, the citizens are living out their lives just as those in the human settlements before. The only difference is the stench of human cooked flesh being wafted in the air.

“Even demons live normal lives…”

Eve spoke up but how timid it had caused me to look back and check in on her. I was under the impression that she turned to a mouse.

“Oh, are you signing in?”

We turned to see a receptionist woman with two horns. She gazed at me then stares daggers into the blond behind me.

“Who might this be? Is she a product?”

“No, she’s my pet.”

“Oh, how cute. I guess us demons find entertainment in anything these days. I will charge you extra for having that beast in the town, however.”

“That’s fine…”

“That will be…50 Chills.”

I reached in my pocket and brought out a sack. There I count the coins.

“Hollow, that’s a lot of money...”

“Hm?”

“There has to be like 1000 chills in that bag!”

Eve shrieked, still trying to keep her voice down. I still don’t understand the appeal to these things. With that, she handed me a paper and we were on our way.

“Hollow…do you know the value of money?”

“I use it to sleep…that’s all.”

I replied, nonchalantly. Eve rubbed the back of her head.

“Argg…How do you even collect that?”

I open my sack and touch my finger around the harsh gold. It clanks annoyingly, melting along with my finger.

“They’re shiny.”

“For the love of Ave…”

Eve slammed her hand on her head. I wasn’t sure why she was making such a big deal about this but now wasn’t the time for it. I needed to find that silver-haired Ruiner and find Vala.

We continued to walk as the stench of human waste littered the town. To think at one point this smell was appealing but now it’s nothing but garbage to a Ruiner who has to need to eat.

“Hold on…Hollow.”

Eve held her stomach and escaped to a nearby alley. Her fruit came back up along with other colorful liquids. She then slammed her hand against the wall.

“What’s with this fucked up shit!”

All I could do was stare as she wailed at the wall.

“I’ve seen mountains of human bodies…but I can’t stand the smell of them being cooked? What the hell is wrong with you, Eve?”

I don’t know too much about Eve but from what I gathered so far is that she’s no stranger to death. She didn’t even bat an eye with the people I killed. She never vomited when I murdered that man in the previous settlement either. Even though she did reprimand me for it…it felt like it was just another thing throughout the day.

“What kind of gods would want their people to suffer like this?! Huh, Ave? You think this is fucking funny?”

Again, she threw up. It was becoming a tad pitiful by this point. Citizens of the city began looking our way to my dismay. Of course, someone’s dog was vomiting in the streets…

“Eve let’s go. You’re attracting too much attention.”

She spat before turning back to me.

“…Sorry Hollow.”

I began strolling ahead, Eve followed behind. She then rushed up to me and put her arm around mine.

“This is just…some real fucked up shit. What…what gods would make their people do these things?”

I had nothing to say since at one point I found this scent normal. But to ease her concern I looked back at her.

“Hm…Eve, I’ll never have the need to eat you…”

“Oh, great that’s reassuring Hollow.”

That’s when the eeriness in my stomach started to pulse.

“Hm…I feel that Ruiner nearby.”

 

 

That’s when I spotted the silver-haired girl from the distance. She seemed to be at a food stand. Hopping up and down like a kid excited for a treat she took the stick of meat with glee.

“Yeah…that’s just what I think it is, isn’t it?”

Eve held her stomach again as the silver head began skipping away. I nudged Eve as we continued our pursuit.

“So, how long are you planning to follow her, Hollow?”

“Until we find a good place to kidnap her.”

“Huh, we’re going to kidnap her?!”

“Of course. She knows where Vala is and it would be best if we can obtain as much information about other things as well. Like where the Council is located, who is in charge of the remaining two fragments and the like.”

Eve burst in laughter. I could have sworn I heard her pop something in that voice of hers.

“Mass murder, theft, kidnapping…wow, I’ve met a pretty cool girl.”

Not sure if that was a compliment or a short-sighted insult but I shrugged it off as I continued to stalk the Ruiner. She then finished her meat stick, flicking it to the side before bouncing into another establishment.

“Hm, a bathhouse?”

Eve jeered up at the sign that read, Luxury Baths.

“Nnnnggg….”

“You alright, Hollow?”

“We’re going to have to follow her in there…aren’t we?”

Eve then grinned brighter than I’ve ever seen from her. She put her face near mine and mocked.

“What, you don’t like public bathing bird?!”

I wanted to stab my sword into her neck and brutalize her body right in the middle of town…but I held off my impulse and stepped inside without another word.

When we entered a stream of steam trickled along the ground. The hallway was baked in a scent completely different than the stench outside. As we walked up we met eyes with a young man with a bullhorn on his head.

“Hm? What do we have here…a human?”

“I would like to take a bath with me and my pet.”

He laughed while clutching his stomach.

“Oh, this is rich. I’ve never seen this before. Sorry, I can’t allow you to take that filth in here. You can set her to the side and we’ll watch over her.”

Eve gripped my arm for dear life. She trembled, staring me in the eyes.

“Don’t you dare leave me here, Hollow.”

“…”

I pulled out my sack and filtered through.

“How about 100 Chills on top of the cost?”

The man, taken aback by my proposal smiled brightly.

“If that dog is worth that kind of money then I’d be happy to take it from you.”

He gladly handed us our towels and on we went into the bathhouse. There we sat in the changing room. Eve stripped down almost immediately showing her body in all its glory. She has a slender waist and figure than me but she loves to sway her hips around to show what little she has.

“At least put the towel on…”

I scorn. Eve giggled manically like a broken hyena.

“To think this bird’s shy of a little skinship…”

Reluctantly, I dropped my dress down to my heels. The warm embrace of steam caught my body before I wrapped my towel around my breast and hips. I couldn't be as disgraceful as this obnoxious human.

"Nice figure, Hollow."

I could feel the heat of the bath getting to my head already.

“Don’t cause too much attention, idiot.”

Eve followed me as we both entered the bath. Oddly, I felt stares gliding across my back, slowly lowering towards my butt. I wanted to turn around and rip her eyes out from her sockets but I held my composure. The bathhouse was designed with rocked formations with fake trees sprawled about. The unnatural twilight sky made a perfect setting for the mood. No one else was around to my relief. There at the far corner of the bath, the Ruiner in question. But oddly enough a woman with a taller body was with her. With long deep red hair, eyes that shine like twilight, and a heart-shaped barret, she kicked back with her more vulturous body. I couldn’t tell if she was a demon or a Ruiner…

 

 

“I don’t get why Headmaster Vanadic would send me on a recon mission in the waterways…Seems there some mercenaries who are trying to infiltrate Serio.”

The silver-haired complained as Eve and I leaned into the warm water. The sensation was calming…We removed our towels now, letting the cozy bath envelop our bodies. I leaned back and noticed the silvery haired girl eyeing us from the side. Instead of saying anything, she turned back to her companion.

 

 

“It’s because he has faith in you, little Silvertine.”

She puffed her cheeks.

“No, he doesn’t have any faith in me. That’s why he made me Vala’s property…”

The redhead put her hands on Silvertine’s head.

“If you feel that way then break free, Silvertine. You aren’t obligated to serve Vala.”

“By order of the Demon Council I am…I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place…”

The redhead stood up revealing her naked body as she cracked her neck.

“You can always make your own choices. Well, I need to get back to work. Good luck to you.”

She then swayed her hips back and forth as she made her way out the door. Leaving only us and the Ruiner, Silvertine.

“Hey! Who’s over there?!”

We turned to see her staring daggers at us now.

“We’re just chill’n”

Eve replied while kicking her feet up.

“Why is a disgusting human in the bath? Eh, I’m getting bumps just being in the same place as you.”

The water began to pulsate, that’s when I reached my hand to the side and caught hold of a squishy object. Its edge were razor-sharp, that of an octopus’s tentacle spearing towards Eve. It cut my palm, causing blood to drip into the pool.

“Huh?”

In confusion, Silvertine gasped.

“You tried to attack my pet.”

I burned the Ruiner’s tentacle before facing her again. Eve gripped my hand and to my surprise, she healed it on the spot. This seemed to enrage the little princess as she placed her hands on her hips.

“Do you know who I am, demon?!”

She stood up with her arms crossed. Now approaching us the water illuminated a tint of silver.

“My name is Silvertine – The Hush. A Ruiner blessed by Wails to destroy this world. How dare you stand in my way.”

It would only take 2 seconds. I could bring out my blade, cut her leg off, and immobilize her…But then I’ll have the Council on high alert.

“Hey, pissant! We’re just trying to bathe. Piss off.”

That’s when her groggy voice jumped in. Eve stood up with all her glory and faced up to the Ruiner. Surprisingly, Silvertine backed down and turned away.

“…Why the hell do annoying people like you have to be in here?”

Her eyes water a bit before she abruptly stomps out, splashing hot water around her. We watch as her translucent body passes us.

“Heh, she’s all bark with no bite.”

“She’s a fairly new Ruiner who seems to not have full control over her power yet.”

“Oh, how do you know, Hollow?”

“From the guard at the bridge calling her a greenhorn, to seeing her lackluster assault…”

I put my finger to my mouth. She spoke of Headmaster Vanadic, the leader of the Council. Seems she’s more politically connected unlike a part of the war such as Vala. Like a trophy wife…

“Well, what’s the plan, Hollow?”

“Nothing has changed, Eve. We’ll follow her to a safe spot and kidnap her from there. It’ll be the safest option that does not alert the Council.”

A Ruiner who is being tossed around by the Council against her will…

An easy target to interrogate and kill.

 

7