Chapter 18: To Be Free
144 6 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 

-Hollow-

 

“…I can’t believe you’re the fabled Forbidden Bird!”

 

 

Here we sat in Silvertine’s mansion. Two large couches facing one another, we sat across from the Hush. The room is filled with wonderful paintings and likely expensive things that I would have no need for. Her maids already served us treats and left us to discuss alone. Unlike Eve, she hasn’t touched her drink or cookies. She’s been gawking at me since we exited the waterways.

“Did you really…destroy 3 kingdoms alone? Hamel, Serio, and Celo?”

Her eyes glimmered like the moonlight trickling off the ocean's surface. With a sigh, I admitted it.

“Yes, I did.”

She then squealed as she hopped about. Eve just chuckled.

“Looks like someone’s got a fan.”

She jeered while biting on the sweet cookies.

“Are you going to tell us about Vala, Silvertine?”

The Ruiner's body jolted as she turned back to us in embarrassment.

“Right…Vala has been sent on a special mission.”

Now calmed down, Silvertine sat across from us. Her eyes shined that ever horrid Silver as she searched the both of us.

“There have been deserters sighted along the Serio coastline and Vala has been assigned to apprehend or assassinate them.”

“War deserters?”

Eve chimed in, still nibbling at her cookie.

“Yes, war deserters. Lately, there has been a spike in demons who believe the war will never end so they try to escape and live peaceful lives. However, the Council cannot let that go. That goes against Wail's words.”

Eve crossed her arms while leaning back into her seat.

“Man, the Council really do believe in Wails words.”

“Hm, so right now Vala is away from the city. Meaning he’s alone?”

I pondered.

Sivertine shook her head, however.

“No, he’s accompanied by at least four other demon soldiers. High ranked ones as well. So, if you do plan to confront him…he’ll be heavily guarded.”

I crossed my arms.

“That’s no problem…however what I am worried about…is you Silvertine.”

“Huh?”

“What if you decide to tell the Council. I don’t mind having to take out five instead of just Vala…But I’m not in the mood to deal with the judgment of the Council right now. How do you benefit from having Vala killed?”

Silvertine rubs the side of her arm then slumps her back.

“Listen…Forbidden Bird.”

“It’s Hollow. And this human here is Eve.”

Eve just chuckles. She plays the role of the spectator too well.

“Ah…Ms. Hollow…Since I was born I’ve been subjugated under the influence of the Council.”

She held her dress as she swung her long hair about. As if trying to shake off the past memories embedded into her soul.

“It was a forced blessing by Wails that I became a Ruiner…But…there’s something fundamentally wrong with me, Ms. Hollow.”

“And what’s that?”

I questioned, not to her pleasure either. She rubbed her legs together and spoke softly.

“I…I…I don’t know what my anguish is.”

“Anguish?”

Eve questioned.

“You see Eve, demons are born by two things…Wails giving life to us or the rage of animals in death. I was born from the rage of my death…meaning I have anguish that feeds my determination.”

We both look at Silvertine who’s downcast now.

“I… wasn’t born from Wails. I was born from the rage of my death…However, I don’t remember what it was. So…I can’t use my Ruiner abilities to their full extent.”

“Hm, so you’re a broken Ruiner?”

Eve lied back and nibbled on her cookie.

“Screw you, human!”

Silvertine scowled she then glanced at me with a reddened face. I sighed before asking…

“So, why do they call you Silvertine The Hush? Most titles appear from your abilities…”

I questioned, be it curious now.

“It’s what Headmaster Vanadic wanted me to go by. He has all but lost hope in my powers by now though… So, he offered me to Vala…”

I leaned back into the cozy seat.

“As a warming gift?”

Silvertine nodded gently.

“I… haven’t been used yet. Vala isn’t the most passionate of people, however…”

She gazed to the door as if unwanted eyes were peering in on us.

“The way they treat me like I’m a mistress who doesn’t belong. How callously I’m treated like nothing. I hate it… I’m nothing more than a trophy for the Council to spread around at will. A pawn in their games here…”

She kicked the carpet but it didn’t budge making that loss of her energy useless.

“I’ve been trapped for years here…and I want to live outside of the Serio Kingdom City. I want to explore Eon…or what’s left of it. But I know if I go against the Council…But then...If Vala wasn't here in the first place...”

I sigh harshly.

“And that’s where I come in?”

“You, Ms. Hollow have the power known greatly to all. You can destroy any foe that comes your way…So, I beg you for the cost of this knowledge, save me?”

Eve takes a sigh then turned to me.

“So, what do you think Hollow? I think she’s quite the damsel in distress.”

I closed my eyes. From what she's saying, the death of Vala would give her the leeway needed to escape the mansion and maybe the eyes of the Council. Her ways of thinking are idealistic and...too honest. With that in mind...

“After I deal with Vala, we go our separate ways. You don’t need to get caught up in my affairs, Silvertine.”

With a sharp squeal, Silvertine hops up and bounces around the room.

“Yes, yes! I’ll be free! Yes!”

This sheltered girl doesn’t know the state of the world. How she lives in luxury here compared to most…she’ll learn quickly that this world is nothing to fight for. But that isn’t my goal. If I must manipulate this child for my own goals in the end, then so be it.

“Ms. Hollow…”

“Hm?”

“…Thanks for being my hero.”

 

 

Her naïve eyes shined my way…I took a deep breath and nodded softly.

“…Right.”

I stood up now ready to proceed.

“Our objective is to go to the Serio Coastline and find Vala. There we’ll kill his guards and assassinate him. Are you ready, Eve?”

“I do have a question…”

Silvertine chimed in before looking back at Eve.

“Why do you have this human with you?”

Eve chuckled warily.

“I’m Hollow’s pet.”

Taken aback she looks back at Hollow.

“W-why can’t I be your pet instead?!”

My head hit my palm. After this ordeal is over, I’ll gladly escape from the eyes of this naïve child...

“Silvertine, you will be our escort. Show us to the Serio Coastline where Vala is. But remember, this might be the final time you look at this mansion.”

“Yes, I have nothing I want nor regrets of this place. I…just want to be as free as the Forbidden Bird.”

Her eyes shine as if I’m a beacon of hope. Little does this child know the truth behind those kingdoms…

And why the name of the Forbidden Bird will always be the stain on my heart.

7