Birthday (15)
577 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jun Yang sat down next to his mother and started to plan how he was going to broach the topic. Then, he realized there was no really better way other than coming right out with it, “Mother, can I talk to you about something?”

“Sure, you can talk to me about anything,” Mrs. Jun said casually. In reality she was not really paying attention as evidenced by the fact that she put the diamond bracelet away and continue with her inventory. She probably thought Jun Yang had something not so important to share and it did not warrant her to stop working on her inventory.

She picked up another box of present, placed it on her lap and carefully unwrapped the wrapping paper.

Jun Yang looked at his mother and even though he was slightly demotivated by his mother’s less than stellar reaction, the young man pressed forward. “Mother, I wish to talk to you about my upcoming engagement to Pei Ling.” Even as the words left his lips, Jun Yang felt the news of the engagement sounded disingenuous to his ears like they were something meant for another person who shared the same name as him.

Regardless, the mention of the engagement caught Mrs. Jun’s attention immediately. She put the presents away and turned to face Jun Yang. “Jun Yang, what is it about the engagement?”

However, now that Jun Yang had his mother’s full attention, he had a hard time voicing his opinion. Earlier, when she was otherwise occupied, it felt easier for him to sneak things in. Even though he had been thinking about how to phrase his intention, the words that came out of his lips were in a halting manner, “Mother… It’s just that… I think the date is a bit early… And I don’t think Pei Ling and I are that compatible… She deserves a better choice… Future is an unknown… The school, graduation so on… Getting in the way…”

Honestly, Jun Yang himself did not know what he was talking about. It was not in his nature to go against his parent’s wishes so this proved to be very difficult for the young man.

Nevertheless to the young man’s surprise, his mother seemed to have sifted out a meaning through his rambling. “I think I understand what you’re saying. You’re telling me, you don’t think you are compatible with Pei Ling and you wish to find a better choice in the future?”

There was not exactly what Jun Yang was trying to express but it did not technically stray too far from the truth so Jun Yang did not deny it. He would see how his mother handled the news before deciding what to do next.

Mrs. Jun’s brows were creased as she contemplated what she believed her son was telling her. Eventually she came to a conclusion, “Admittedly, it is a bit rude of us to go back on the promise we have given the Pei family but it is good for a man to be ambitious. In the future, when you go overseas for your study, you might find a better match who could provide you with a greater help in your business.

“After all, a powerful foreign in-law would be able to help the company expand beyond the confines of China. Jun Yang, I’m impressed by how far you’ve managed to look ahead.

“You came to me because you do not know how to break to the news to Pei Ling and her family? Never mind that, leave it to your mother. I will go on your behalf to talk to their family. I am sure they will understand the need for you to expand your horizon and to do what is best for you and for Jun family.”

Well, Jun Yang’s mother surely did fill in a lot of loopholes for Jun Yang. He did not expect her to pull such a story out from the few terms that he could barely string together into a coherent tale.

Jun Yang knew it was a cop-out but at that moment, he found himself saying, “Thank you, mother.”

To find a foreign girlfriend in the future was not the reason why Jun Yang wanted to call off the engagement but since it led him to that goal, he decided to just go along with it. Jun Yang was definitely not going to tell his mother about his relationship with Feng Qi so that reason was as good as any.

A part of him felt bad for rejecting Pei Ling like that but what she did earlier in the day had undone most of the affection he had for her. In that moment, Jun Yang found he could be quite cruel towards Pei Ling. Ultimately, one could say he was being a little bit selfish. At this juncture, he found it easier to sacrifice others than himself, which was understandable.

With that issue settled, Jun Yang stood up and took his departure from his mother’s drawing room. Before he left, Mrs. Jun told him, “I will talk to your father about this first but I’m pretty sure he’ll approve of it. In fact, I believe he will be proud when he finds out his son has his sight set on something greater down the horizon.”

Hearing that compliment, Jun Yang felt like such an impostor. A part of him felt so ashamed and he wanted to dig a hole and hide himself inside it.

Since that would be unrealistic, shuffling out of the room and closing the room would have to suffice.

At the other part of town, Pei Ling’s mother had the bad news broken to, through a phone conversation she had with Mrs. Jun. She sounded unfazed and offered her understanding when Mrs. Jun called a stop to the engagement but when she put the phone down, her face was etched with concern.

Like most women married into a Chinese family, the first thing she had to do after receiving such a big news was to report to the man of the house. One could question the relevancy of the engagement to the businessman, but do understand that at the end of the day, the union between the two families would have everything to do with commerce and business.

10