Play (20)
307 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Unfortunately, I cannot share with you my finding just yet.” The announcement was rather anti-climactic. The disappointment was apparent on Jun Yang’s face but Pei Ling’s shoulders drooped slightly, a sign of relief.

“Why can’t you share with me your speculation?” Jun Yang whined. Pei Ling noticed Jun Yang acted rather petulantly around Feng Qi, a mannerism that the young man seemed to only adopt around Feng Qi. She wondered if Jun Yang himself knew about this distinction.

Feng Qi replied, “Because the mastermind might be related to someone you know and I don’t want my speculation to ruin the impression that you might have of your friend.”

When Jun Yang heard that, he frowned, he was definitely not expecting there would be a traitor hiding within their midst. The same declaration wormed its way through the calm front that Pei Ling put up. She appeared unaffected by the announcement but Feng Qi could discern the slight cracks in her shield.

Feng Qi added, “In any case, all I have currently is mere speculation, it might not even amount to anything so that is why I am unwilling to share it with you for now, Jun Yang. Let me find some more evidence first, I don’t want to frame an innocent party.”

Pei Ling rolled her eyes and grumbled audibly, “The man has nothing, he’s only saying those words to distract us from the truth.”

Feng Qi answered with an enigmatic smile, “Perhaps… But it is like what you said earlier, it is better to be sorry. I am not going to base such an important accusation on mere speculation. After all, I don’t want to be the person who is responsible starting yet another rumor around the school…”

Pei Ling’s heart shuddered. She bit on her lower lip from having her own words thrown back at her. But more than that, it was due to the double meaning that she realized was wrapped within Feng Qi’s words.  

Feng Qi was insinuating something with his declarations and while they might fly over Jun Yang’s head but Pei Ling caught them clearly. She was certain that Feng Qi was up to something, he might have already seen through her ploy but why wasn’t he sharing it with Jun Yang? Pei Ling refused to believe that it was because Feng Qi wanted to help her preserve her friendship with Jun Yang. There had to be some ulterior motive.

Jun Yang was naturally oblivious to the subliminal exchanges between his two friends. He took things at face value and after giving it some thought, approved of Feng Qi’s decision. “I wish I would get to know the name but you’re right, Feng Qi. If it may cause some misunderstanding, then it’s best to get things clarified before we start going around spouting names.”

“You’re so sweet, Jun Yang and I know you’d understand.” Feng Qi flashed a charming smile at Jun Yang.

The latter blushed and tried to hide it. He mumbled, “Anyway, we shouldn’t be standing here. What is your plan for the rest of the day, Feng Qi?”

Feng Qi answered, “I have to help out Miss M at the Mist Café. I’ll probably be busy for the whole day, I’ll see you back at school tomorrow.”

Jun Yang asked in surprise, “You’re coming to school tomorrow?”

“Anything to spend more time with you,” The young man responded smoothly. Feng Qi chuckled at Jun Yang’s embarrassed response to his words and then he parted with, “Alright, I’ll see you later then, Jun Yang.”

“Okay, laters.” Jun Yang waved.

“I will see you later too, Pei Ling,” Feng Qi added before turning and walking away.

There had been little to no interaction between Feng Qi and Pei Ling unless it was deemed necessary. Therefore, there was no relationship between them. That made it even more curious that Feng Qi would purposely bid Pei Ling farewell.

Innocent as Jun Yang was, the young man simply thought his two friends were warming up to each other and he felt great about that development. But Pei Ling narrowed her eyes darkly as she watched Feng Qi walk away. The challenge had been made and it was time for a duel.

The wind chime jingled to announce the arrival of a new customer. Miss M was about to walk towards the girl to serve her when Feng Qi pulled on her wrist and said with a smile, “It’s okay, Miss M. I’ll handle this one.”

There was a firmness in Feng Qi’s eyes that Miss M did not see too often. She hesitated for a moment before saying, “Alright but remember, the customer is always right.” She knew Feng Qi was a good worker but for some reason, she had a bad feeling about this.

“Of course.” Feng Qi nodded and went to intercept the young girl who just walked in. Miss M was worried about the young man whom she treated as her son and she stayed close to the counter to keep watch over him.

“Welcome to Mist Café, how may I serve you today?” Feng Qi greeted Pei Ling with his winning smile.

“Cut the crap, we both know I’m not here for the food. Plus, the last time I checked, the food served here is not even up to the standard that I’m used to. So you really think I will subject myself to such swill?” Pei Ling came ready with her insults. “Let’s get this over with so that I can get out of this hovel as soon as possible.”

That almost got a rise out of Feng Qi but he took a deep breath and allowed the insult to wash away from him. “Fine, if that is your intention, then please follow me.” Feng Qi led her to a table away from the front door.

After Pei Ling took her seat, Feng Qi sat down across from her. That was against the rules but Miss M did not comment anything even though she saw it.

“How did you know I’m the mastermind?” Pei Ling began apropos to nothing. She wasted no time. [If you like my work, I would really appreciate a cup of joe as donation. Thank you. Donate here: ko-fi.com/lonelytree]

8