Play (22)
309 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Why are you laughing?” Feng Qi asked while carefully keeping his tone level. He did not want Pei Ling to read into his weakness.

“I’m just amused by your overly naïve perception of love and relationship, that’s all.” Pei Ling smirked. “What you just described does not categorize love, at least not one that is long-term and stable. Instead, the type of love where the couple involved doesn’t consider the consequence and responsibility towards others, it is nothing more than a fling. In fact, that is exactly what your so-called relationship with Jun Yang is like, a high school puppy love, a phase that will eventually pass.”

Feng Qi tried his damnest to not let Pei Ling’s words affect him but the woman sure knew how to press his buttons. Delegitimizing his relationship with Jun Yang by calling it a fling, that was a real underhanded tactic.

Pei Ling continued, “A mature relationship requires blessing from others, because a successful relationship cannot be one that is isolated from others. A relationship consisting of just the two is idealistic but in reality, all of us have to interact with the world and others. This is especially true in our Chinese culture where a stable relationship is often viewed as a union between two families.”

Pei Ling stressed her last sentence and the bad omen that Feng Qi felt earlier intensified. As if affirming his suspicion, Pei Ling finished with a victorious smile, “And on that front, there is no way a vermin like yourself could win me.”

“What do you mean by that?” An alarm in Feng Qi started to sound off. The young man felt like the girl had an ace up her sleeve and he was about to get blindsided by it.

Instead of answering right away, Pei Ling flashed a knowing smile. “Looks like Jun Yang hasn’t told you everything. Perhaps you do not know him as well as you think you do. This once again shows how out of depth you are with regards to the whole thing. This is beyond the scope of what you’re used to, the world where Jun Yang and I reside in is something you cannot comprehend.”

Feng Qi definitely did not like the direction the conversation was going but since it was related to Jun Yang, he could not help but want to find out what Pei Ling had to say. Therefore, in spite of himself, Feng Qi found himself hanging onto Pei Ling’s every word.

However, even with the mental preparation he had done and the hints that Pei Ling dropped along the way, Feng Qi was not ready for the truth. He doubted he would ever be.

Pei Ling announced matter-of-factly, “There is an arranged marriage between Jun Yang and myself. Our futures are destined to be bound together. Marriage is something that should be between couple of equal social standing. Therefore it is only expected that Jun Yang will end up with me. I am the only suitable candidate who is deserving of his prestige.

“Therefore, you can create as large of a mess as you wish but it would not have changed the result. It has already been written in the stars before we were even born. Between Jun Yang and myself, it is a marriage of equal and the thing between you two, I wouldn’t dare to call it more than a temporary fling, a transient infatuation.”

Pei Ling paused to let the news sink in. Then, she added salt to the injury. “Plus, now that I think about it, I kinda feel sorry for you. I have no idea Jun Yang has been keeping such an important detail from you.

“I have to say, I’m impressed, I didn’t even know Jun Yang has such a capability for deceit within him. Perhaps I have underestimated him. Regardless, this shows that he has been toying with you, stringing you along, feeding you false hope because he knows that in the end, he will get together with me.

“Then again, such is the way of the rich and powerful. Even if you know the truth now, what are you going to do about it?”

Pei Ling then stood up, leaving behind a dumbstruck Feng Qi. “I’ve said everything that I need to. You should know what’s best for you to do.” Then, the girl rummaged through her bag like she was looking for something important.

Eventually, she pulled out a stack of cold hard cash. “This is what you’re aiming for right?” Pei Ling referred to the money. “I cannot figure out another reason for one to approach Jun Yang other than the hunger for his money.”

Like they say, when you point your finger at others, three more are pointing back at yourself. When one makes an accusation, oftentimes, it reveals more things about the accuser than the accused. Such was the case with Pei Ling.

When the girl claimed that Feng Qi was out for Jun Yang’s money, it was actually a reflection of her own intention. Even though she was not directly yearning for Jun Yang’s money, she felt the responsibility to get married to him because it was for the sake of her father’s company so in a way, she was out to get his wealth as well.

Pei Ling weighed the bundle of cash that was not bound in her hand before throwing it at Feng Qi’s face. The wad of cash slapped the young man’s face before separating and fluttering down to the floor like rain. It was literally raining money.

They were the only table that was occupied in the café or else a huge scene would have been created.

Through the curtain of money, Pei Ling uttered, “Take these and get out of Jun Yang’s and my sight.”

Then, she went in for one last jab, “I’m sure you’ve felt this but I have to tell you, Feng Qi, you disgust me.” Then, that would have been the end, Pei Ling was turning to leave but someone intervened…

[If you like my work, I would really appreciate a cup of joe as donation. Thank you. Donate here: ko-fi.com/lonelytree]

7