Prologue
107 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The last thing I can remember was watching a building fall towards me. I had just been leaving the bank, when I heard a loud explosion. The explosion was soon followed by a lot of screaming, and I had just enough time to look up at the rapidly approaching brick wall of some sort of large building, before all my senses stopped working.

Now, I'm just floating in this dark void. I can't seem to do anything, I've tried moving my body, speaking, nothing seems to work. I gave up after what I think was a few minutes, though I can't be too sure. I never was good at keeping track of time, anyway. 

To pass the time, I have just been thinking about random things. Like why I got crushed by a building, and where I am now. The explosion I heard was probably due to some idiot playing with fire near an explosive substance. My best guess is a propane tank. It could also be a terrorist attack, but that is much less likely. I'm not sure if an explosion caused by a propane tank could destroy a building like that though, but it's probably more likely. It could also be something else, but those are the only things I can think of at the moment.

I'm more interested in my current location though, is this what it's like to be dead? Seems kind of boring, I know I wouldn't want to spend an eternity just floating in a black void. I might have to though. That's kind of depressing, now that I think about it. I might not be dead though, maybe I'm in some hospital, near death but not gone yet. If I'm going to be stuck without being able to feel my body forever, though, I think it might be better to be dead. At least then something might happen, and I wouldn't be left here to go insane, with nothing but my thoughts to keep me company.

I wonder what will happen to me. I might be stuck here forever, left to slowly lose my mind until there is nothing left of me but a husk of my former self. Huh... would that make this hell? I don't think so, and if it is... I'm kind of disappointed. I expected more, uh... fire and pain? Yeah, that. As I said, it's a bit disappointing. I just have to sit here, bored out of my mind, for the rest of my existence? I really hope this isn't hell. Just let this be the waiting room, or something. I don't want to spend the rest of my sanity bored, that just sounds horrible.

I don't think I should be going to hell, anyway. I was a decent human when I was still alive, though I'm not sure if I should be going to heaven either. I wasn't an optimist, some people might actually have called me a pessimist, though I think that's going a little too far. I was more of a 'Do what you want, it's not like it matters anyway. You should have fun while you're still alive.' kind of person. I had a lot of fun when I was alive, too.

I was always hiking up mountains, riding boats through rapid waters, falling off those boats. It was a fun life while it lasted, but all good things have to end, and I really doubt I'm still alive.

I'm kind of glad, though. It was getting too hard to put up with the people around me, they wouldn't leave me alone after my parents died. My parents left me a lot of money when they died, and I had relatives I didn't even know existed knocking on my door the very next morning. My life had been filled with fake smiles and empty words, since that day. I was sick of it by the time I died, three years later. It makes me a little sad to know they probably got the money, but it's not my problem now. I probably wouldn't have ever used it anyway.

Floating in this darkness is actually kind of relaxing. It's peaceful. I don't have to worry about anything now, my life is over. There's nothing I can do about that. It's a simple fact, one I can't change. I probably wouldn't, even if I could. I have no wish to return to those people, though that might change, if I'm stuck here long enough.

I wonder why I still exist, I obviously don't have a brain to think with anymore. If I go by logic, I shouldn't be able to think right now. Then again, maybe I'm still alive, this could all be a hallucination, or some strange dream. I don't think so, though. I'm pretty sure I'm dead, but that still doesn't explain why I'm even capable of thinking about this.

 

I must be a soul. That seems reasonable, and maybe this black nothingness around me is the realm of death. This is where souls go after they leave their body, they all come here to, um... do something?

They probably just wait to go insane. That's what I'm doing, anyway. I have nothing better to do, it's not like I can watch the scenery. Well, I guess I can, but I see no point in that, it's just darkness, the kind that no light can shine through, everywhere I look. I'm not even sure how I can look, seeing as I have no body. I think I'm currently looking in every direction at once, but I can't tell the difference between up and down in this place, so I'm not really sure.

As I'm thinking about this, and trying to move my form, whatever it is, I start to feel my mind grow sluggish. I have just enough time to realize it's happening, before I'm forced into unconsciousness.

5