Chapter 1: An Ordinary Day, or Is it?
233 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This is the first time I'm writing here in Scribblehub, I apologize for any grammatical mistakes in the near future. Please enjoy it to your heart's content (^W^) 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bremerwood, the city where I can call my home. It was just like any other ordinary city, the sun basking through every inch of the ground every day. People passing through as if time never existed, even I felt that at times. But every light has its obscurations, as nighttime falls and the premises are clear, rodents roamed around the city. Manipulations, extortions, deals, negotiations, and even betrayal are upon them all. Mafias were usual in this city, mobs spread throughout wide areas, even they have their own territories. No places were hidden within their eyes, even a small speck of dust in a corner of a narrow road will be considered an area of their dominance.

 

Not even the law can pursue them to shut the mobs off, they're clever, cunning, and tactical in their codes. But not every gang was as ambitious, some were fighting for justice, the rights of the people, and balance between the citizens. Such things were a wishful dream, most of those mobs were now considered prohibited by the mafias, illegal they said. Hunted down by them will the survivors find a path paved for them to rise glorious again. Once a prestigious and well-known gang organized by many men built the city a living paradise of no wrongdoings years ago. However, their leader suddenly vanished one day, never to be heard ever again... well, that's what I was told about it

 

Since then, numerous groups had risen up, as well as the rate of unlawful activities. Well, I don't have too many problems with that. Right, you're probably wondering who I am, don't cha? Narrating the whole thing is just boring, I guess I better introduce myself first.

 

My name is Lenna Esmond, and as of this year, I'm about twenty years old. I'm quite young, well, some of you might say that. I'm still as energetic as a grasshopper hopping around in a flourishing garden. 

 

"Lenna, another customer coming!" A shout from my co-worker rang throughout the whole staff room while I was holding my phone in my hand.

 

"Alright, be there in a sec!"

 

Geez, such a pushover, well better get started arranging some bouquets. I huffed excitedly as I put my phone in my bag and headed over to the counter. I pranced over towards the counter with an exhilarated smile. Seeing the flowers arranged each on their own types, Blue Roses, Yellow Acacia, White Peruvian Lilies, Purple spotted Orchids, and many more including one of my favorites, Yellow Daffodils. They always enticed me with the bright and shimmering yellow petals.

 

Right now, I'm working at a flower shop full time as a florist, since I have finished my studies earlier. Or rather I wanted it to be that way, a simple life is enough for me. The joy and happiness to relax and see what life gives us are phenomenal. Especially since I wasn't given a chance to explore more in my younger days.

 

"Hello there, are you perhaps looking for some certain types of flowers? I can recommend some of our best-selling ones, or maybe you're looking for something different?" I asked as I lifted my right arm at the confused-struck young man around the store.

 

"Actually... Do you have something that would suit to give it to someone as a... confession?" He shyly admitted, his eyes are unsure of where to look at

 

Ah... another one of those...

 

"Sure! We do have many recommendations on how you want to send the message." I smiled trying to keep my irritation from showing as I grabbed a profile book with pictures of flowers in it.

 

I flipped the book open in a hurry, wanting this to be over. I stopped at the page marked "Flowers of confession and love", feels like I wanted to cringe so hard at that name. Who decided to give these names for bookmarks?! I bet it's my annoying butt of a co-worker, he's just really poetic and passionate about his job. I can't blame him...

 

"If you want to go with something subtle and romantic, I would recommend this pair, it's a combination of White and Pink Daisies" I explained as I showed the customer the picture of a bouquet of certain flowers while I pointed at it with my finger.

 

"But if you want to get straight to the point and show her instantly how passionate your love is to her, then these would do the trick"

 

I carefully flipped the pages as the man's eyes followed, stopping at a picture of Pink Carnations. He puts his index finger on his chin, his eyes narrowing slightly while I just stood there awkwardly waiting for his answer.

 

"Well... How about the ones earlier? I bet she would probably love those!" He yelled in excitement as he made his decision.

 

He jerked his head upwards to look straight into my eyes, striking my heart to jump all of a sudden. His loud reply made everyone in the store uncomfortably stare at the man, chuckling nervously as he turned to them with his hands together. He sighed and lifted up his glasses, telling me that he would pick them up in about an hour. I gladly told him that it will be ready when he's going back here again.

 

After dealing with some more customers, I slumped down at a plastic chair, out of energy from all the arranging and consults. I grunted as I picked my phone up to see if anything was in for me. My eyes glimmered up as I received a notification from one of my favorite people in the world. The best of best friends in the whole wide world.

 

Julia: Heya, Len! Is your shift over yet?? I wanna go and hang out with you guys!!

 

I giggled at her text and opened the lock on my phone with my finger typing in as clicks of the keyboard followed along. As soon as it opened, I began to reply to the texts, as usual, hopefully, the other person joins in later.

 

Lenna: Still on my shift (T_T), guess we couldn't hang out today...

 

Lenna: Bummer...

 

As a few seconds passed, a ring popped up from my phone, it wasn't just Julia who replied. Finally, someone got time to join in the conversation.

 

Julia: NOOOOO!!!! I'm stuck at my college work, DAMMIT!!

 

My eyes wandered to look at the name below her texted message, a curl on the edges of my lips was on without me realizing. Admiring the name of the one who has been by my side since my early youths.

 

Adrian: Calm down, Jules. I, too am stuck with work, so I suppose the three of us are much restricted for today.

 

I scoffed at his words, well true though, all of us separated paths when we graduated from high school. Julia, my sweetest friend whose humor and energy always pleases people around her went to a private college on the far side of the city. While my work-oriented but gentle friend Adrian has set upon his path towards his family's business like my own. Though my family insisted not to get my hands in it, risky and dangerous they would say. And the fact that I'm the only living daughter in my family made their argument stronger.

 

Lenna: It's not like we wouldn't meet again, we'll figure something out, kay?

 

Julia: Well we better be, and this time let's plan on a trip! You better got permission from your dear old daddy first, got it?

 

Lenna: I know, I know... No need to worry bout that

 

Adrian: He's a kind-hearted soul, Jules. He couldn't say no to his only daughter's request, besides I'm sure he's not going to mind me tagging in with you two.

 

Lenna: Are you sure about that? Last time I saw you guys go to my family house he gazed at Adrian all the time he was there.

 

Julia: Like I said Daddy instincts! (0-0)

 

Lenna: You said it right, I'm going to visit him tonight btw.

 

Julia: Well sent him my greetings, Len! I've got a pile of projects coming in, so I'll get going now.

 

Adrian: Mine as well, something came up just a moment ago. See ya guys later.

 

And with that, our everyday chats ended, a hint of loneliness thumped in my heart. Staring at the screen of my phone, rereading the texts all over again with glee. A hand suddenly slapped my left shoulder leaving me to flinch as I turned my head around ready to let out curses.

 

"Don't just slack off, Lenna. Go get the bouquets ready, it's almost time for the customers to pick it up" My co-worker, Cal scowled and glared at me as he passed through where I sat.

 

"Party-pooper" I muttered under my breath as I let out an annoyed sigh, putting the phone back in my pocket in a hurry.

 

Sure he's my senior but he doesn't have to be this pushy, I owe him a lot though so.. can't complain.

 

"Always so pushy isn't he?" A feminine voice called out from my behind, I turned around to see my other co-worker Bernadette. Her robust body and short wavy black hair made me notice her instantly.

 

"Yep, that guy couldn't really chill.."

 

I jokingly chuckled, earning a laugh from her as well. I got to work on Leo's request and carried a bunch of ready to go bouquets to the counter. As I put them down gently, I started to stare off in the distance outside of the windows of the store. Strikes and lines of orange-ish yellow light shone throughout the streets. Time passed quite fast today, it's just another day at work after all.

 

The TV screen on the corner of our little store began to crackle up as the commercial ads changed to the news program. Sounds of the usual opening of the news channel filled the air of the quiet store. It then switches over to a news reporter sitting up rather lazily, me and Bernadette standing in our places to see what's new.

 

"Back with us at the Stardium TV station and ANC News, we just received numerous reports of more Mafia turf wars happening near the East region of Bremerwood. Apparently, the Mafia family "Flammia" has yet made another move in conquering more territories to their advantage. Witnesses reported that the sounds of guns blazing were heard near the Memorial Park last night. Fortunately, no innocent lives were taken. The police are now trying to track down these notorious criminal syndicates in order to put this to a stop once and for all"

 

As she went on explaining the news, a picture of what seemed to be taken by a bystander showed us a group of people wearing thick suits. Some of them are black, grey but one, in particular, was wearing in white, shining brightly even though the picture is blurry.

 

"The police ain't doin anything, they just sittin their asses in their own office and enjoy money-raining the funds they received from the government" Bernadette scoffed with her hands crossed.

 

"That gang is nothing but trouble these days, making citizens in the Northern region in a pickle at night. I wish that old peaceful mafia family is back in place, they would've probably solved it quicker than the police" She let out a sigh as the news channel continued their reports on that certain headline.

 

"Well, I'm sure not all of those groups are criminal-related. I didn't even know what was it like at that time, I was still too young to understand when that mob was still running around" I replied with a nervous chuckle.

 

"I said all mafias should've vanished from the faces of the earth, they're nothing but a bunch of hypocrites only wanting to snatch things for their own good." Cal suddenly spoke up, making both me and Bernadette surprised by his response.

 

A part of me was hurt by that, not everyone in there is bad as you know. I guess some people couldn't see the clear picture, what do you even expect? I just stayed silent as I quietly hummed, excited to meet my Daddy and the others as well later tonight.

 

A few more hours passed and my quota for the day is already fulfilled. I changed my work clothes to a simple black short-sleeved turtle neck top with a denim jumper dress on the outer layer. I grabbed my navy cotton bag and bid farewell to Bernadette and Cal, which he just nodded and went back to the office. When I went outside of the store, the sky had already changed to a deep shade of navy and cobalt. Street lights enlightened the concrete path to my eyes, it's not a rare occurrence that some people are still out at this time of night. I just hope they know what they're going to encounter.

 

With the night breeze surrounding the air, I began to make my way to my family's house. Usually, I would go straight back to my little apartment nearby where I worked. But I had already promised them that I will visit him tonight. Walking down the narrow and dim path, navigating my every step carefully. It was not long before I reached the neighborhood where the house is.

 

After a few minutes, I stopped my footing in front of a gigantic double steel-made gate with tidily built brick walls surrounding it. Rusts and the black paint peeling off the linings of the gate can be clearly seen, I finally get to meet them again after two weeks. As if they knew I was already there, the gates automatically opened up for me to come in. Welcoming me back with such an eerie sensation, I huffed and took a step in and began to make my way inside.

 

Following the maroon brick path, I walked, looking up to the large mansion in the distance. My heart pumped ecstatically as soon as I set my eyes upon it. Yearning for the place I call home, recalling the fun and bad memories made here. Passing by the pine trees planted in my left and right, lining up until it was distanced a few meters away from the walls of the mansion. As I got closer to the building, a sudden chill crept through my back in an instant.

 

I gripped tight to the handle of my bag and pulled my steps to a halt. Well, can't be caught off guard, can I? I chuckled and sounds of launched footsteps were heard behind me, time to put on a show. I quickly turned around while smirking to myself and two dark figures were seemingly throwing themselves at me one by one. Dodging the fist of the anonymous man to the sides, I grabbed his arm and slammed him down straight at the stone path.

 

The second person stood his ground in front of me and began to throw some punches towards me which at this moment would just hitting fists into hollow less air. I too, held my ground and dodged his frontal attacks, holding his upcoming punch my right upper arm to the side. The way I delivered a left roundhouse kick was like a lightning bolt passed by the two of us. Leaving the man to pass out on the ground as I heard more rustles behind the trees. Many pairs of eyes peered right at me with malicious intent.

 

"Predictable"

.

.

.

.

Bodies of men scattered everywhere around me, drops of sweat formed right on my forehead after the adrenaline stopped. Letting out low pants and putting my hands together to look at my fists. Colors of vermillion bloomed brightly at each of my knuckles, contrasting my light and soft skin. Opening and closing my fists, I took a look at my surroundings and began to chuckle, knowing the jig is up for them.

 

"You guys can do better than that, you know" I let out a soft laugh, putting my hand in front of my mouth with my other arm crossed...

 

All of them began to stand up as if nothing happened, their faces softened up as smiles were painted across their faces. Laughter and snickers surrounded them all in an instant change of mood. Some leaned onto each other's shoulders while others fixed their posture and did some stretching.

 

"No one can beat our fair lady, after all, not even us" One of the men replied

 

"Aww, really? Did you all go soft and easy at me after I moved out?" I smirked and put my hands on my hips

 

"NO, MA'AM!!" All of them shouted in sync, making my homesick symptoms flowing back to me yet again.

 

Sudden slow but echoing claps made their way to my ears as I turned around at where the sound came from. A figure that I have known for my whole entire life, he stopped himself right a few inches from me.

 

"Well, well, if it isn't my darling lil sis. Still got some guts in that thin body of yours, huh?"

 

Approaching me with a snarky grin, his white and pristine sharp fangs proudly being shown. Short and fluffy Red Auburn-colored hair completed with an undercut, the gaze of his Sapphire-Blue irises focused upon me. He made his way to me, wearing his usual uniform, a red and black striped shirt with a midnight black vest, the long sleeves of his shirt rolled until his forearms are free of the cloth. Tattoos of  red roses and thorns extended from his right arm up to his wrist, and one on the crook of his neck that's almost hard to catch.

 

The small band-aid across the bridges of his nose, the icon of his character. A leather belt containing a gun holster flourished with golden streaks and linings on his right side, and long slim pants with the same color as his vest. And don't forget his dark crimson tie, he always ties it loose purposely even though our dad constantly complained about it

 

"Thin, you say? I prefer it to be 'slender' " I lifted one of my brows to him, smiling happily at his presence.

 

"You like our greeting? I specially arranged it for you since I heard you're coming over tonight" He let out a laugh, I could only join him in his own round of laughter to reply.

 

"Just like the old days, Al"

 

The men began to straighten up their postures and bowed down deeply at us.

 

"WELCOME BACK, LADY LENNA!! WE HAVE BEEN ANTICIPATING YOUR ARRIVAL!!" Their sounds can make any person's eardrums burst if they're not used to them.

 

"Glad you're back here, Lenny" My older brother chuckled and bowed his head to me with a wide grin on his face

 

Why did you think this happened, you ask? Let me tell you about a little secret of mine, pay close attention. Do you know why I was offended by what Cal said earlier? Or even the fact that I don't have too much trouble dealing with the constant mentions of the gangs? Of course, everyone outside of my own family, Julia and Adrian doesn't know about this.

 

Truth be told, I'm the daughter of a renowned Mafia Family myself. Life has never been the same as long as that fact lives deep within me.

8