Chapter 12: Atone For A Brother’s Sin
47 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With that statement, the room was dead silent, only the sounds of heaves from my dad’s mouth were heard by me. The space became dreadful, I could feel stares from behind me directed towards the opposing side. When I turned to look at Alvar’s face, he turned his head away from seeing me or anyone else. His eyes just now gave me a glimpse of someone who’s being compelled to follow, like a dog to its master.

 

Why you-

 

“Think about it, Roderick. The benefits of your business uniting with mine, as well as having my son, the “White Grim Reaper of the North” as your son-in-law. Your reputation along mine will go sky-high between the Big Four,” The Godfather said with a playful and slurry tone.

 

“I don't care about fame. My daughter is not some sort of merchandise to just be wed off. How dare you offer something farcical to my face?” Dad replied with an angry voice.

 

“I’m only giving you a vision to what may be like if they tie the knot. The decision alone will be left in the hands of your little girl.” He pointed his cane towards me.

 

“Don’t you also care about your boy, Roderick? The successor to your position and the apple of your eye.” Those words left my dad speechless

 

Although he trains Alphonse and Kalem in tough ways, he never fails to show me and my brothers his affection towards us. So to think to choose to save either me or Alphonse was the last thing he wanted to happen.

 

“Now, dearie. Will you accept the proposal? I promise that I would keep to my words that your brother will be returned alive.”

 

A certain chill slapped me across the face as my heart beat faster in mixed feelings. I was extinguished, standing there as other voices tuned out of my surroundings. 

 

Marriage? I have to get married to that guy?! The one who had hunted down Alphonse and beaten him, while cornering my dad until he was voiceless?! Moreover, I barely know this guy! And from the way he looks and others look at him, I will be in a dreadful situation if I’m near him.

 

“Lenna, don’t do this. I beg of you,” Kalem interrupted, looking very concerned about me while dad just watched me silently with guilty eyes.

 

“Be rational about it, we can rescue Alphonse in any other way but not like this,” Kalem added, looking at me with those glassy Magenta irises of his.

 

“I-I...” I stuttered, words stuck in my throat, head spinning in circles as I looked down on the ground nervously.

 

It’s as if the whole world’s weight was focused unto me alone, eyes peering towards my direction. Whispers ghosted within my ear’s range, it felt like I can pass out from the nervousness right at this moment. No, get yourself together, Lenna! You can’t fall like this, not when I’m the appointed one here.

 

“It seems like she needs some encouragement, stage fright is common for all of us. How about I gave you an example of how it works in our family?” The Godfather suddenly spoke up, turning his head towards Alvar.

 

“Now then, are you the one who shot him in the leg?”

 

“No, sir. One of my men did” Alvar replied directly as soon as the question ended.

 

“Then would you mind bringing him out here?”

 

With that one command, Alvar turned around to the side while his head faced towards the sea of men who now, are like dogs with their tails between their legs. Scampering in fear as the aura around Alvar began to darken in control.

 

Whoever did it, step forward,

 

Without any retaliation, one of his henchmen began to scurry over to the front lines without any retaliation. Are they really afraid of this guy that they themselves are turning into little bitches in front of him? The man began to drop on his knees and his body tensed as he avoided the glares that Alvar was giving him.

 

“You see, this man was the reason behind your brother’s main injury. A bullet through his left lower part of his leg. It is a bold move to ensure his arrest in our hands.” The Godfather said as he looked at me and then walked over to the trembling man.

 

The man bowed down in an instant, his head on the ground, “I-I beg of you, Don Corleone. I did w-what was best at the momen-”

 

Silence, the Don is talking” Alvar cut off the words coming from the man’s mouth.

 

“As you can see, dearie. In this family, our rank determines our authorities. For example, if my son were to do his job, it will have to come to my approval first. And then it will be passed on to the lower ranks,”

 

“So the ones in the lower ranks can’t do as they want without the higher rank’s consent?” I replied

 

“Precisive, and yes, if they do, they would have to suffer the consequences. Whether it’s from me or my son here, himself.” His eyes widened a little as he smiled, he then faced the man who was in fear, bowing in front of him.

 

“Now then, do you know why you’re called out here, yes?”

 

“Y-yes, sir”

 

A gloomy aura surrounded the Godfather as he furthers his gaze down on the man. But it all dissipates when he broke out a chuckle and laughed momentarily. He stared at the man with a satisfied look on his face. 

 

I was in a tight situation as I was in the front seat on what’s going to unfold. Surely, I was not prepared for what was going to happen next. A couple of slow claps came from the hands of the Godfather himself.

 

“Wonderful, wonderful! You have done a great job in helping us capture our target. By putting a bullet to the only thing that will help him escape, his own leg… How harsh, yet convenient. Lift your head up,” 

 

The man stopped shaking and quickly sat up straight with fright still painted all over his face.

 

“So does this mean that I’m-”

 

“Although, I only ordered to bring him here, not to inflict any major injuries at him any meanings necessary ”

 

I can clearly see the terror and fear in the man’s eyes, shivering down as his face turned pale. The Godfather was silent for moments as the man begged for his life endlessly. Pleadings filled with anguish filled the space, tears were shed. 

 

None of us said a word, especially me, is this how they work? Did Alphonse, Kalem, Adrian, and dad had gone through this as well? Seeing someone begging for their lives to be spared while they were on life’s edge?

 

Enough of your yapping, boy.” a voice spoke up in the midst of the man’s breakdown.

 

“I’ll let you off easy this time,” The man’s face brightened up as if he was met with his savior.

 

“R-really?!” The man put his hands together in front of his chest with a grateful voice. 

 

A sudden smirk showed on the Godfather’s face, and I could feel something ominous coming from that expression. 

 

“Of course, instead of sentencing you to death by immense torture...”

 

That isn’t an expression of someone who lets something off so casually...

 

“I’m giving you the easy way out, Alvar,” The Godfather snapped his fingers.

 

In a blink of an eye, a flash of light flashed right in front of my eyes, nothing can make me forget what I just saw. A loud bang transpired throughout the room. The smell of gunpowder spread throughout the air as residue smoke flowed from the end of the gun within Alvar’s left hand. His face, expressionless, no humanity can be seen within his eyes. 

 

Without any further commands, he knew what the Godfather meant.

 

“Take care of this fool,” It’s all I could guess looking from the situation

 

His movement swift, as the strands of his ponytail, fell down while the edges of his suit were spotted with blood. Crimson colored liquids splattered in the air as the bullet pierced through the man’s forehead.

 

It all happened in an instant, the man’s body was thrown back due to the force of the bullet’s pressure towards his temple. The now dead man’s eyes were wide opened, pupils shrank into the size of a Raisin. The color of his skin flushed away as his face was covered by the flowing blood from the hole in his head. Pooling down at his lifeless body, he’s now nothing but an empty hollow of a once-living man. 

 

I couldn’t even let out any sound, as if something was stuck deep in my throat, preventing the airway or even my vocal cords from reaching the outside world. I was stifled, horrified as I imagined the man’s body to be Alphonse’s own body. My body was frozen in place, agitatedly covering my mouth with my trembling hands

 

When I glanced over to my dad, he was looking away from the scene. And as for Kalem, his expression stiff, unmoved by the sudden incident unraveled before his eyes. My heart beat wild, adrenaline runs courses through my blood. Not only was I shocked, but it also made me horrified to death. I watched in complete silence as Alvar put his gun away and turned to look at me with a murderous gaze.

 

“Such a waste of potential, get rid of him,” With everybody silent, two men from the Flammia family’s side began to drag the body out from our sights, leaving a trail of blood as the body was being moved.

 

“Now, you have already witnessed what will happen if someone tries to disobey my direct orders. My son will only do the deed if I told him to, including putting a bullet through your brother’s head”

 

“No..” My mouth let out the word on its own, balling my fists on the side as my heart slowly started to fill with despair.

 

“Take my life instead, Corleone! You can do whatever you want with me but I will not tolerate you drilling those words into my daughter’s head! Especially taking a life in front of her very own eyes,” Dad shouted in anger.

 

“Roderick!”

 

“Dad, no!” I yanked his coat, making me feel despair more and more.

 

“Aww, fatherly love. It would be boring to just kill you instantly, satisfaction is far from my reach if it’s done. Let her decide, Roderick, or should I push her more? It’s about time for the main show to begin after all” The Godfather cackled and grinned, turning his body to the sides to face Alvar

 

“Get the boy, will you?” 

 

Alvar quietly nodded and turned his body towards his henchmen

 

“Bring him here”

 

With that single command, I can hear the creaks of a metal door being opened. The Godfather and Alvar stood aside to let us see what was going on. Dad was getting riled up as his eyes went slightly wider at the Godfather, glaring daggers at him. Kalem stood next to me, clenching his fist in agitation, his mouth opened and crooked into a nervous frown. As for me, I stood still and watched, as two men dragged along a body throughout the floor. It wasn’t someone anonymous or a lifeless one, I lightly gasped seeing the figure being pulled like a dangling doll.

 

His messy Auburn hair, his head, and Crimson-colored tie hung down as he was further carried to the front. Dragged by the shoulders, his hand seemed to be tied at his back. Once dad got a glimpse of who he is, his eyes shot wide, and tried to step forward. 

 

He was forced to kneel in front of us, his chest heaved up and down in uncontrolled breathing. When I got a closer look, blood was dripping slowly from the edge of his chin. His Auburn hair was tainted by tints of blood, I stood there as I witnessed my brother being held captive by the opposing Family.

 

“Alphonse!” Dad and Kalem exclaimed, earning a flinch from the figure.

 

“P-pops… Kalem? You came for me?” Al’s voice became raspy and dry.

 

“I already told you, didn’t I? I will take matters into my own hands if anything goes for the worst.” Dad replied with a worrisome voice, still glaring at the Godfather smirking cheekily at his direction

 

“Al!”

 

He shot his head upwards and looked at me, his face covered in bruises and his nose bleeding until it flowed down to his own chin. He gazed at me with disbelief in his eyes, he knitted his brows together in disturbance.

 

L-LENNA?!” His volume increased, saying my name with trembles within his tune.

 

He then turned his gaze towards Kalem with sinister eyes, “Hey, what the fuck is she doing here, Kalem?! Wasn’t she supposed to be at the mansion?! TELL ME!!” He yelled at Kalem’s direction, in return our brother just looked at him with a guilty face.

 

“You better keep your mouth shut, boy… or else,” the Godfather spoke up as he nodded to Alvar.

 

“Hold him in place,”

 

“I already told you not to involve her in this, you fu-”

 

His hair was yanked backward until his eyes were in angle with mine. He hissed as he was being forced to look at me, being gripped by Alvar’s gloved hand. I was about to break down and cry seeing him being treated like this. Al was clenching his jaw tight and gazed at me with sorrowful eyes.

 

“You sick son of a bitch,” Alphonse growled, his pupils directed towards the Godfather as he tried to turn his head but was powerless within Alvar’s grip

 

“Now here’s the deal, girl. If you agree on marrying my son here, your brother will be clean from his crimes towards us. But, if you decline,”

 

A gun was suddenly held against Alphonse’s head, Alvar’s to be exact. 

 

“We can go along with executing him right at this moment” the Godfather finished explaining.

 

“M-marriage?!” Al replied, grunting as the gun’s end was dug deeper into his head

 

Hearing mentions of the deal made Al’s eyes wide open and his face went pale at the idea.

“LISTEN TO ME, LENNA!! DON’T YOU DARE DO IT, LET ME PAY FOR MY CRIMES, YOU DIMWITS!! I RATHER DIE THAN SEEING MY OWN SISTER  BEING FORCED TO MARRY SOME RANDOM ASSHOLE!” Alphonse yelled, glaring me right in the eyes. 

 

“I WON’T LET YOU WASTE YOUR LIFE FOR SOMEONE LIKE ME, SO SHOOT MY HEAD ALREADY!!”

 

Emotions of rage and tenderness filled his pupils, hearing him say that….. It made me feel helpless, he had risked everything for me. Ever since we were little, he gave me all of his affection and attention. He even beat up many people in exchange for me to be safe, which I found unnerving. But, he’s my older brother….. I couldn’t even imagine a life without him...

.

.

.

“Don’t worry, Lenny!! You can count on your big bro here to protect ya!”

 

“But I don’t wanna!!” I whined at him

 

“Aww, come on. You know I’ll always stick with you whether you reject me or not”

 

“I know, but try not to embarrass me please?”

 

“If that’s what you want, then I’ll try” He grinned at me from ear to ear

.

.

.

“How about we get the book first and then his glasses next?” I whispered as I was taking notes in my journal.

 

“Nonono, it should be the other way around, without his glasses, he can’t see, remember?”

 

“Oh, right! Let’s write that down!!”

 

I scribbled and held the journal high up as me and Alphonse stared at it with wide grins.

 

“This is going to be perfect!!”

 

“Hell yeah, Kalem wouldn’t see this coming”

 

“See what, you two?”

 

As soon as those words ended, my left ear was tugged along with Alphonse’s right one. And beside us was our oldest brother, Kalem, looking down at us with a smile.

 

“Are you planning  on pulling another mischievous act on me once more?”

 

“Hey no fair! You weren’t supposed to see this!!”

 

“Try again next time, you two”

.

.

.

“Hey, hey, what’s with the sad face, Lenny? Did someone hurt you?!” He kneeled down in front of me while I leaned on my hands on my lap and gripped the fabric of denim pants tightly. Sniffing as tears flowed down my cheeks.

 

“No… I just want to cry…. I don’t feel too good...”

 

He then stretches his arms out with a grin on his face, “Wanna hug it out? There’s always room for one lil sis in my arms”

 

“Uh-huh”

 

His arms engulfed me into a warm hug as he stroked my hair gently. Each and every caress was filled with comfort as he chuckled while I hid my face deep in his arms.

 

“Al?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“I miss mom….” He paused for a moment before bringing me closer as both of us sat down on the couch.

 

“Me too, sis. Everyone including Kalem and dad does, we all miss her...”

 

I sobbed for a long time in his arms as he stayed quiet while stroking my hair. It also made him sniff a bit, hearing from his breathing patterns.

 

“C-can you stay longer?”

 

“For as long as you like, sis. I always got your back,”

 

We spent the whole evening in the room, with him calming me down in his arms.

.

.

.

.

.

“Big day, huh?” I giggled as I make my way through the tie around his neck

 

“Yep, gotta look sharp and perfect. Don’t want to disappoint the ladies~,” he slurred as he swiped his hair back with his right hand.

 

“How bout the guys?” He let out a chuckle as he rubbed the back of his neck

 

“Maybe I’ll approach some of them later if there’s any available to my taste. But ladies are the utmost agenda in my mind, if you know what I mean, sis” He winked at me with a smirk as I finished tying his tie.

 

“Whatever, Al” I rolled my eyes playfully at him.

 

“There, done” I clapped my hands together in admiration of the tidy cloth tucked into his vest.

 

“Isn’t this too tight, Lenny? I feel like a chained dog if it’s like this.”

 

“Haha, remember, this is your ceremony on becoming the underboss of the Family, Al. You don’t want dad to be naggy about your clothes right?”

 

“Pfft, always. Our old man’s pretty strict, like a certain someone in our family.” He scoffed and looked at me with a smile.

 

“Of course, the one and only..”

 

“The caffeine-addicted, self-indulging into the world of stallions, “No alcohol please”, four eyes and deodorant wearing advisor, Kalem Coopers,” Both of us said Kalem’s secret nickname in sync, bursting out uncontrollable laughs while leaning into each other. 

 

Our laughs rang throughout his room, along with his 5-month old pet baby turtle Shelly the Third, sitting on top of his neatly folded bed sheets may or may not hear our little comedic break.

 

“Won’t you look at that, little Shelly’s sleepin like a baby.” Al cooed as he walked over his bed and picked up the tiny turtle hiding within its shell and brought it to me.

 

 “She’s so cute” I rubbed her shell, which made her head stretch outwards a bit, and glanced at me.

 

I looked back at Al and in surprise, he smiled crestfallenly at Shelly. He let out a sigh and placed Shelly on top of his head gently.



“Wish mom was here, what would she say seeing me finally being promoted to be an executive, huh?” That made an awkward yet sad silence spacing between us, he crossed his arms and chuckled nervously.

 

“Well, all that I could say is,” I quickly tidy up his vest and patted it.

 

“She would tell you to give it your very best, no matter what happens” That won a wide smile from him.

 

“Yeah, she would have. Woah, easy there, girl” He flinched and snickered when he felt Shelly moving forward on top of his head. He quickly let her down and put her on his left shoulder instead. “There you go, nice and cozy”

 

“Are you two ready?” A voice suddenly called out towards the two of us by the door.

 

“Sure do, Kalem,” I replied as he approached us closer and faced Al. He placed both of his hands on the sides of Al’s shoulders.

 

“Posture straight, heads tall, arms on both sides,” Kalem talked as he patted along the places he mentioned, zooming his hands like a scanning machine.

 

“Remember what we practiced yesterday, Alphonse.”

 

“You’re talkin about the speech right? Don’t worry, I got this”

 

I doubt that would go smoothly as he said...

 

“You better be, otherwise all of the effort I gave to help you building it up from scratch will go to waste.”

 

“Yeah, yeah,” Al scoffed and rolled his eyes

 

Kalem then chuckled when his eyes met with Shelly on Al’s shoulder, “Are you perhaps bringing a missus on your shoulders unto the ceremony?”

 

“Oh, you mean my lil gal? Naah, she’s gonna sit out of this one.” Al laughed as he tucked in the rather lazy Shelly in his hands and placed a peck on top of her shell.

 

“Sit tight till I get back here, girl” He grinned as he placed her into the large tank on top of his nightstand, adored with plenty of chopped up fruits and water for her enjoyment. 

 

I began to tidy up my own attire, a Navy Blue one shoulder asymmetrical dress, brandished with a floral choker around the neck to add the touch. 

 

“Why do you look so smug, fancy pants?” Al narrowed his eyes at Kalem, letting out his fangs towards him.

 

“I’m jubilant to imagine that I’m going to be the one escorting Lenna by my side at the ceremony” Kalem replied with a huff.

 

THE HELL?! WHO DECIDED THAT?!” Al yelled at Kalem with shock in his voice

 

“Well, to be correct, no one did. However, the plan for you to march in the very front with your crew while me and Lenna follow you behind made it all clear, isn’t it?” 

 

“So you’re taking advantage as dad’s advisor to make it this way, huh?”

 

“One could say that, Alphonse. After all, he appointed me to arrange it all for your sake. Moreover, you wouldn't have the opportunity to be by her side due to the fact that you must be by Roderick's side at all times during the event.”

 

“Y-you slimy bastard...” Al hissed as Kalem triumphantly celebrated his victory by giving our brother a smug smirk. Watching as Al balled his fist and bent down in rage as he tried to hold his other side back.

 

“Enjoy being in the spotlight for today, new executive”

 

OH FUCK YOU, KALEM!

 

Al then suddenly engulfed me while letting out inaudible mutters, “Lennaaaaaa, Kalem’s bullyin me again!” He whined as he pouted while he glared at our satisfied older brother. 

 

“There, there, Al” I chuckled as I tried to reach out my right hand to pat his head while being squeezed by him.

 

“But do you know who I arrange to be the one handing you, your brand new suit, and title at the podium for this celebration?” Kalem added while giving us his usual smile.

 

I gave him a lift on my brows and he did the same, it then clicked in Al’s mind when he saw the two of us exchange some secret message. 

 

“Wait, so you aren’t the one who will be giving it to me, Kally?”

 

“No, I’m not” Then Kalem lifted and pointed his finger at me with his gloved right hand, “Although, the lady who you’re keeping to yourself as of this moment will be the one,”

 

In an instant, Al went from a whining adult to a happy go lucky kid as his eyes sparkled in exhilaration. He looked back and forth at me and Kalem with a wide grin.

 

“REALLY? REALLY?! IS THIS TRUE, LENNY?! YOU BETTER NOT LIE TO ME OR YOU’RE BOTH DEAD!”

 

“Why else would Kalem put my lessons aside for me to rehearse for this occasion?”

 

Alphonse loudly gasped as he turned to Kalem who was lifting his glasses with his right hand, “Did you really think that I will spoil your moment? Today is all about you, and your happiness is mine to share along with Lenna's.”

 

“My most sincere congratulations to you, Alphonse. Me and Roderick have never been more proud,” Kalem smiled at the two of us before he was ambushed with Al launching himself at our older brother.

 

YOU’RE THE BEST, BIG BRO!!” Al burst out a full out blown wail as he tightly hung on Kalem’s body.

 

“But who’s gonna watch our lil sis while I’m with dad?! I mean,  the least that I wanna see today are those perverted eyes from some distinguished guests being directed at Lenny. More importantly, what if someone approached Lenny and asked for her number?!”

 

“You needn’t worry, I have eyes everywhere, and I’m keeping my bullets in full capacity. I will be in the shadows watching from behind, maybe restrain one or two if possible”

 

“Then, I should also have my men beat up those who dared to touch her, eyy? Can't let them have their ways with our sister”

 

Menacing aura oozes out of them both altogether, smirking and agreeing with each other with grim expressions. Always plotting some inhumane things to do for being overprotective of me. 

 

“Okay, okay, that’s enough, you two!” I get in between them and loop my arms around them

 

“We’ve got a ceremony to catch now, don’t we? I bet dad’s gonna be pissed when he caught us bicker like this in time for the event to begin.”

 

“Right! Then let’s get to it! I can’t wait for how many ladies I can swoon over tonight~.”Al said in a voice full of desire.

 

“Or will they perhaps, finally choose someone more subtle if I may say,  Adrian?" Kalem interrupted

 

“Shut your ass up, Kalem. He's got an eye for someone else, and the ladies loovveee a smooth-talker like me,”

 

“It seems like someone is either getting themselves a wonderful night or one with numerous rejections,"

 

"Says the one who's been single even though he's in his late 20's" That literally stabbed through Kalem's heart, judging from the way he just choked on air upon hearing it.

 

"Touché, Alphonse" Kalem cleared out his throat while a hint of red dusted on his cheeks.

 

"Very well, let us make haste”

 

“Onwards we go!!”

 

.

.

.

.

.

 

“ALPHONSE ESMOND, DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU’RE SAYING RIGHT NOW?!” Dad yelled at Al’s response.

 

“I KNOW WHAT I SAID, DAD! I'LL GLADLY DO IT IF IT MEANS LENNA WON'T BE MARRYING THIS POKERFACE!”

 

I stood in silence as I took a deep breath, hearing the banters between dad, Al, and the hints of steeping frustration that grew in Alvar’s expression. 

 

“It seems this is getting us nowhere, seeing you bicker makes it more bothersome to wait any longer. And the girl is also taking her sweet time to decide, so I guess she chose to save her own life then.” the Godfather spoke up, cutting in between dad and Al’s argument.

 

“Fine by me, end it now” Al added, the grip on his hair was released as a click followed through. Alvar stood straight as he glared down at Al with his jaws clenched.

 

“ALPH-”

 

“I WILL DO IT!!” I shouted out loud, halting Alvar from pulling the trigger as he instantly gazed up from Al to my face. 

 

Al’s face went blank as well as our dad and Kalem, staring right at me with shocked eyes. I stared right at Alvar with stern eyes and self-confidence boosted through my veins.

 

I ACCEPT YOUR PROPOSAL!!

3