Chapter 16: Of His Own Flesh and Blood
38 3 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While I leaned my hand against the mattress to keep steady, my gaze turned to the left as I saw Kalem with his hair down. Looking at me with his “usual” stern gaze.

 

“Oh, it’s you…. “ I said as I grunted trying to fully sit up straight, that’s when Kalem quickly approached me and took hold of my left arm.

 

“Here, let me help,”

 

He started arranging the pillows on the bed and placed them behind my back to support my body. I was held in place as I’m trying to scan the whole room with my eyes. Looks like I’m at Kalem’s room, it’s obvious from those paintings of horses and the many bookshelves surrounding the room.

 

“How long  have you been sitting there, Kalem?” I asked as I plopped my back into the soft but sturdy pile of pillows. I might even say that it feels so gooodddd.

 

“I have been here for at least two hours, after having my usual tea in the morning,” Kalem replied as he pulled his chair closer to the bed.

 

“How do you feel?” He asked, sitting down and bent his body forwards. Wearing his plain ol white shirt and navy pants.

 

“Pretty cranky, guess I took a big one last night. That motherfucker’s ass-beating really is no jest,” I commented as I placed my palm behind my neck and cracked some stiff muscles around it moderately.

 

“You are fortunate, the bullet didn't hit any of your vital nerve systems. We managed to extract it out, however, you will need to stay low for a while,” Kalem explained, leaning his back to the chair, carefully putting his right leg over his left one.

 

“How long, exactly?” I asked as I stretched out my arms cautiously, letting out a slurry grunt

 

“One to two weeks should suffice, as well as daily exercises to get your leg back to shape,” Kalem replied with his arms crossed, hearing him say that made me slightly annoyed.

 

“Is it really that bad?”

 

Kalem then straightened up his posture and grabbed the bedsheet on top of my left leg with his left hand.

 

“See for yourself,” He lifted the bedsheet to the side, my eyes caught the glimpse of what’s supposed to be my untouched left leg was a bunch of white bandages.

 

On top of that, it was all covered in a hard coating of a cast, with my toes revealed to the outside world. 

 

“Is a cast really necessary for this, Kally? You could have just wrapped me up,” I replied with a scowl.

 

“No can do, we all know that you’re likely to ignore the fact that you’re injured and go wherever you want. That would, of course, reopen the wound and it’s going to bleed endlessly. So the solution was to cover it in a cast so you wouldn’t run away,” He explained with a rather sharp look in his eyes.

 

Great…. Just great…. Now I can’t go anywhere I like nor can I go stalking Lenny as usual. 

 

WAIT-

 

“Hold on a sec, where’s LENNY?!” I was so in panic that I unconsciously yelled at Kalem.

 

His hand went and covered my left leg with the folded bed sheet calmly and looked at me with a miniature smile.

 

“She will be joining us soon enough, and she’s alright. Lenna’s safe here in the mansion, Alphonse” Kalem replied 

 

Hearing that made me exhale in relief, “Haaahhh… that's great to hear,” My thoughts began to scramble itself with words I heard her let out last night.

 

“To save your ass, idiot…. I can’t lose you, Al… You’re my brother for God’s sake...”

 

I can still hear her sobs ringing in my head. Am I really that worthy to be saved, after that predicament I mistakenly put her in. And yet, she still wants to save me, her stupid big brother that does nothing but wreck havoc. 

 

“You seem to have quite the nightmare,” Kalem interrupted my daydreaming with his voice, snapping me out of my thoughts.

 

“Oh, you noticed? How did you even know it’s a nightmare? You don't have clairvoyance you know, Kally,” I huffed with a slightly nervous tone.

 

“You were whimpering excessively in your sleep, and your expression says it all. You’re not salivating as you usually do” Kalem added with a chuckle.

 

“Drooling’s an old habit, can’t change it,” I replied boldly

 

“Is it him again? Or is it something else?” His question made me take a short gasp of air and gripped the bed sheet vigorously, making me relieve the nightmare all over again. 

 

“No… It’s him alright. He even said something about that Alvar guy, that underboss scum who beat me until I passed out,” I replied, still tugging tight into the sheets.

 

Sure I have heard of the guy, but it’s the first time I have seen him. Reputation won him in the highest places in the community. Many intels that contain information about him are scarce and seldom to be heard of. His name seems to be familiar, but I couldn’t put my head around it. But his alias, The White Grim Reaper, suits him right. 

 

More importantly…….. He’s Lenny’s husband-to-be….. 

 

“May I ask you something?” Kalem spoke flatly

 

“Go ahead,” He cleared his throat before he looked me in the eyes sternly.

 

But when he was about to open his mouth, a knock rang from the door on the far side of the room. 

 

“Looks like my question may have to come later,”

 

Me and Kalem were pretty much alarmed, figuring out instantly who might be knocking on the door. 

 

“Come in,” Kalem said as he stood up from his chair.

 

My heart felt brighter…  And comfier. Excitedly holding back the thrill of my heart pumping as I heard the door click and opened slowly. And revealing from the other side of the door was a cutesy and adorable lady with slightly messy long straight Dark-Chestnut hair. Pushing the door until her full body covered in her favorite long-sleeved shirt and shorts. 

 

Even if her hair’s messy, she’s still the cutest being in the whole entire world. I can’t even control how excited I was to see her. In addition, her wide smile that she made when her eyes focused on me. It has always been the thing that made me feel it was worth fighting for.

 

“Al!” She exclaimed as she noticed me, slamming the door wide open with vigor.

 

“Sis!!” I exclaimed back energetically, grinning from ear to ear with my arms open wide.

 

She sprinted with full speed towards my direction as her hair fluttered around the air. She threw herself into the bed and into my arms, possibly slamming her body against mine with force. I rested my head on top of hers, her hair was wafting with the faint smell of freshly baked bread it seems.

 

“You’re awake! Thank God” She muffled while still burying her face on my chest, hugging me tightly with her arms.

 

Hearing her voice said that made my heart melt and filled with endless relief. What happened last night was truly new for her or rather, it was devastating. Seeing her here in the flesh was the one thing I wanted ever since I was escorted from the docks. 

 

“Glad seeing you all worked up in the morning, Lenny. Already had breakfast?” I asked as she pulled away and nodded bubbly. 

 

“But I just want to have a bite since I was so focused wanting to see you, Al. However, that idea got ruined when dad insisted me to join him to eat together,” She chuckled jokingly with a big smile, my heart can’t take it much more!!

 

On the other hand, when I glanced at Kalem, he looked slightly sulky and pouty. Not normal for a stern and upright advisor to be acting like that. Well, at least that’s what most people would think. Kalem’s easy to lose his cool to be honest, especially around me, Lenny or dad. Welp, that’s my cue!

 

“Sooo… What’s with the gloomy look, Kally?” I smirked as he flinched realizing my call.

 

“I was heart-broken honestly,” Kalem sighed as he placed his hand on top of his chest dramatically.

 

Here we go again, this shit always happens whenever I get the first hug from Lenna.

 

“To think that my own younger sister forgot something important, oh I’m truly in despair,” Kalem spoke as if he was on the verge of breaking down. Good work on the victim acting Mister Stallion Lover.

 

Lenny let out a giggle and approached him, “I know, I know, come here,” She replied as she gave Kalem a big hug.

 

The face he let out at that moment, the way his pupils focused unto me with fierceness. The small smirk crooked on the edge of his lips. As he wraps his arms around Lenna, smugness was all over his face. 

 

I felt my blood rushing through my body seeing him making a face like that. Felt like I wanted to get up and swing my casted left leg to his face and knock him out. I could even feel a vein popping on the side of my temple. 

 

But seeing Lenny sound so happy made me all forget all that grudge. Okay, calm yourself down Al, let this slide off, and set differences aside. Calm the fuck down, don’t burst in front of Lenny. Oh yeah, speaking of which… 

 

“So dad’s already awake?” I asked with my eyes wide at Lenny who just pulled away from Kalem with ease.

 

“Yup, he already has,” She replied.

 

“Why don't you take a sit here, Lenna,” Kalem smiled as he patted on his chair, she nodded and sat down with a hum in her voice.

 

“Did you get enough sleep last night?” I asked while I lightly patted her head, noticing how plumpy her eye bags are.

 

“Honestly, I didn’t expect to sleep comfortably after what had happened,” She chuckled nervously as she looked down on her lap.

 

Memories flow back in my head about last night, better not talk about it. Buuttt, since Adrie was there to escort me back here, I can pretty much guess why she slept so easily.

 

“Oh, really? Was Adrian with you when you’re about to sleep?” I cheekily added with one of my brows lifted while her face was immediately dusted with shades of pink.

 

“H-how did you know?!” She exclaimed nervously, flustered being asked that question while Kalem in the background just sighed.

 

“Pfft, it’s just a hunch, don’t think too much about it,” I laughed hard as Kalem approached both of us, standing near the side of the bed where my left leg was lying.

 

“Although, what you had to think about now is improving those injuries first before you get back on your feet, Alphonse” Kalem mentioned, glancing over to my covered left leg with hints of discipline.

 

“Yeah, yeah, I know, you already told me earlier. No need to tell me twice,” I complained

 

“It was nothing but a friendly reminder. Considering your bruised face, back, and stomach. The blunt hit you took on the forehead which caused extensive bleeding. And last but not least, your leg that was pierced through by a bullet. Truly you wouldn’t dare to oppose my words, would you?”

 

All in details, purposely giving me weights of burden on my shoulders. He would always be strict about these things. And he won’t let me go off that quickly, not a single chance. Fuck. You. Kalem.

 

“Fine, if that’s what makes it faster for me to get back to business,” I growled lowly, trying to hold back from bursting out.

 

“Well, it’s better that way, Al. Please try to look after your own health for once, especially that smoking habit of yours” Lenny added

 

“Of course, Lenny! Just like you said, though I won’t guarantee that I would quit smoking that easily. Anyways, where my pack of ciggies?” I asked looking around the room with a sly smirk.

 

With that, I got a sudden flick on my forehead, yelping as the hit lands. Trying to yell at the person, I was met with Kalem’s eerie filled smile with a threatening aura oozing out of him. It sends chills to my spine in an instant.

 

Come again, Alphonse? Were you saying that you were looking for your cigarettes when you’re supposed to be resting and not make your situation worse? Am I hearing correctly? Or am I mistaken?” He asked with his eyes closed and smiled, whispering the last few words in my ear as he gripped my shoulder.

 

“N-no no no no no no, I-I was just asking Lenny for my drink, y-yeah that’s it! I was asking her for a drink! I’m soooo thirsty,” I acted while panicking on the inside, knowing the fact if I mess with Kalem any further, I would get my ass whooped.

 

“Nice cover, Al” Lenny whispered next to me, holding back her laughter with her palm over her mouth.

 

Me and Lenny were just giggling ourselves and stared at Kalem with cheeky grins. Our big brother did nothing more than shaking his head and pulled away from me. 

 

Just then all of us were silenced when our heads turned to hear heavy footsteps stopping right in front of the bedroom door. When I glanced at the direction where the noise came from, my heart drastically dropped. There he is, standing under the door arch with his posture tall and mighty.

 

Rid of his heavy coat, left with only his black shirt and Mocha colored vest on his upper body. I could only take an agitated gulp when I saw the look on his face. Glowers that can penetrate daggers into my body, a gaze that you don’t want to see from him.

 

Oh shit….

 

“Dad, you’re here!”

 

“Oh, good morning Roderick,” Dad nodded as he took some steps towards the bed.

 

Shit, the air’s coming intense from him. Dad continued to glare at me, eyes fixated unto mine never to be averted at anything else.

 

“I see you’re finally awake….. Alphonse” He spoke up with such a rumbling voice, pushing my spirit down into the ground trying to find a place to hide.

 

"Y-yeah, got up early in the morning," I replied while my heart was thumping uncontrollably

 

Cold sweat started to run down the skin of my neck and back. Knowing I had screwed up big time to what happened last night. My heart thumped out of control, in fear of his wrath waiting to be unleashed. I unconsciously balled a fist in the bedsheet, frightened and anxious.

 

“In any case, would you two give me and Alphonse some privacy? There are some matters we need to go over with” His passive-aggressive voice led me to assume that I’m done for.

 

Fuck….

 

When I glanced over in Lenny’s direction, she was looking at me with an uptight look on her face. She might have also caught the drift, I don’t want her to feel that she’s involved in this. What I had done is mine to bear, not her.

 

“W-what are you going to do with Al, dad?” Lenny shakingly asked our dad a trivial question, but all that dad could respond was with silence. A prolonged silence that is, the air grew heavier by the second.

 

“D-dad, please answer me-” I gripped Lenna’s right wrist, making her rotate her body towards me in a flash

 

Lenny.... You don’t have to be in this one, big bro’s going to have to face the ends.

 

“It’s okay, Lenny. Don’t fret too much, I’ll be fine. Trust me, kay?” I forced myself to grin at her, even though I’m wavering on the inside. Still holding on to her wrist as if my life depends on it. Not wanting those shimmering Emerald eyes of hers to be filled with tears.

 

“Al...” She whined, shattering my heart to see her making such a pitiful face.

 

“Alphonse is right, Lenna. We should leave them alone to discuss, we would be an obstacle if we’re here” Kalem cut off Lenna’s words and hurried to her side, grabbing her by the shoulders.

 

"B-but Kalem-"

 

"Nu-uh, no buts, sis. Go with Kally for a bit, walk around the gardens for a while. Smell the flowers and other stuff like that. This would be pretty quick, I promise you" I added with a smirk.

 

Me and Kalem shared a brief glance and I nodded, he didn't say anything else and started to lead Lenna out of the room. While she was still trying to retaliate back, as she was being escorted. Gazing me with pity-filled eyes, there was nothing much I could do than giving her my snarky smile.

 

And now…. Time for the worst….

 

As the door had been closed shut by Kalem on the way out, dad started to loosen up his posture and walked to the right side of the bed. Feeling uneasy, I didn’t even glance up at him.

 

“What were you thinking? Is this why you didn’t reply to my call several days ago?” He started off with a scowl.

 

“Haven’t I already told you NOT to mess with the Rulers of the North?! Especially the Flammia Family, Alphonse. I specifically forbid you or any of my men from crossing the borders. And yet, you have the guts to go against my orders,” He commented, his voice filled with unspilled ferocity waiting to discharge.

 

I stayed silent, knowing what he said was true. I did break the rules, but it wasn’t like I came back with an empty hand.

 

“What were you doing there? Spit it out,”

 

“......intel ….” I muttered.

 

SPEAK UP!” 

 

“I WAS COLLECTING INTEL FROM THEM, OKAY?!?! THERE YOU HAVE IT!” I replied with an increase in volume in my tone. Still afraid of seeing him eye to eye.

 

“Intel? I can’t believe you,” He took a long inhale of air before he exhaled it slowly.

 

“You’re telling me that you crossed the borders. Killed one of many Caporeigmes of the Flammia Family. And got a bounty on your head simply because you’re accumulating intel?” He questioned with disbelief in his tone.

 

“It wasn’t just any kind of intel! I’m telling you this is a huge deal, a bargain you won’t get anywhere, dad!” I replied loudly

 

“Then tell me why it was so critical that you directly neglected my orders?!” Dad shouted, it shut my mouth for a few seconds before I grasped back at reality.

 

“........”

 

“Remember that one Mafia Family that used to bring judgment to this side of Bremerwood, dad? The one prestigious Family that successfully helped the cops, the people, and made the South of Bremerwood... No... no… ALL regions of the city a better place?” I spoke up, gathering up the courage to finally look at his face with a stern look.

 

The Mississippi Family? Ring a bell to your head, dad?” 

2