Chapter 22 : A Nostalgic Meeting
20 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Meanwhile... 

 

Alvar POV

 

“My sincere congratulations to you, my boy,” A raspy voice came from one of the elderly VIP guests in front of me.

 

Standing in the middle of a cluster alone, I began to grow impatient from all of their “wholehearted” faces. And here I am, being surrounded by guests from the many North Mafia Families as I stayed silent. Why is she taking so long for a break? It seems more conspicuous that she is left alone for long.

 

“Now you’re on a steady route to inherit the Don’s name and title,” Another man added with a sly smirk on his face.

 

“It is only mandatory to follow Don Corleone’s wishes as the underboss of the Flammia Family. There are no ulterior motives than to fulfill the agreement we have with the Esmond Family. Unless they plan to bite back, another back-up plan will be commenced,” I replied, trying to sound as arrogant as the Don has told me to be.

 

“As expected of Don Corleone’s heir and strategist of the Flammia Family. Other than being on top of the food chain, you stayed resilient towards your goal,” I clenched my fist with discomfort as the others followed the man to laugh.

 

I have had enough seeing their faces, not to mention that my “deemed” wife hasn’t shown any signs of returning to place. Not being able to watch Mira and get out of this arrangement is only adding burdens to my shoulders. And at least there’s a good thing in which the Don has retreated back to God knows where in the building.

 

“Those Esmonds better watch their back real good for now. Now that both Families are connected, we ought to milk some hidden cards from their hands,” The man’s eyes peered over towards the end of the room while others and my gaze soon followed his’.

 

Near the large smooth wooden double door stood a man with wavy and short Red Auburn hair. Standing all mighty and confident with his dark Midnight Black fur coat enveloping his shoulders. Along his side are some of his men and the head of the Melchior Family, a household made out of generations of assassins.

 

I have heard that the Melchior Family are indigenous from Bremerwood itself not too many generations ago. Those two men are conversing themselves far from the others all night long. Figured out they won’t accept us that easily.

 

“Tch, what a show-off,” An elderly man with a scarf hanging on his shoulder scoffed, glaring at the Godfather of the Esmond Family vexedly.

 

I took a good look as the head of the Esmond Family talked to his peers with a sincere warmth wrapped around him. Heads nodding and chuckles came from that group, I can’t help but wonder how it feels like to experience it personally.

 

I can’t help shake off the feeling in which this isn’t the first time we have seen each other. Other than that meeting in the docks, there was as if a resonance from the heart had resurfaced. I need to clear my head off first, away from these men as I wait for that brat taking her break.

 

“If you excuse me, I need to take a breather,” I spoke up, alerting the others of my statement.

 

“Why of course, the groom pulls the strings here. After all, he has higher priorities for tonight to be done with a clear mind, isn’t that right gentlemen?” The man lifted his glass of Champagne as he scoffed along with his other acquaintances.

 

“With having such beauty as well as the daughter of the Esmond Family as your wife. I couldn’t imagine how voluptuous and proportional her body is up close. I'm envious of you, Alvar,” Another added, nudging their elbow at my right arm.

 

I became pretty much alarmed and quickly pulled my right arm away, glancing at the man with disgusted eyes. If Don Corleone were here to see this I would have pulled out my gun immediately at his command. That is if he won’t let this slide, I doubt that will happen eventually. It’s not my choice nor my freedom to choose this fate.

 

“Right…. I should go,” I muttered at the last few words, strutting myself away from those men quickly as the edges of the white suit swaying. 

 

As I was walking away, murmurs began to rise up more between that cluster. Whispers and mentions of my name could be heard. What a bunch of no good shoe-licking parasites. I passed by some guests and went to the balcony of the hall to take some fresh air. Walking through the open archway with velvet curtains covering the path. 

 

The railings are made out of waist-height columns and flat thick railing lines. The area itself could uphold many people but most of the time is rarely used. Since the real deal is on the inside of the venue.

 

It has always been my go-to place when I can’t handle such conversations or anything out of my control. I was tracing my gloved left fingers gently on top of the clean but slightly coarse surface of the railings. Staring into the distance as city light shimmers through the busy streets of North Bremerwood.

 

The Region of Enterprise, rich and famous for its many business connections in the economics of the upper as well as the underground world. Raining over Bremerwood as the highest of the Big Four, The Flammia Family is known throughout the land. We even have branches outside of Bremerwood to support our running flow of money.

 

Wearing masks on the upper world while silently shutting people off on the underground community. A Two-faced Family, as well as an unforgiving organization. Playing dirty tricks to get what they want, using loan sharks for most of it. No matter what title you have in this Family, higher or lower, you won’t be forgiven that easily.

 

The only way you can pay for your sins against the Flammia Family is with your life. That’s how it always works… even for me…

 

“You will make a great soldier, my boy”

 

Those words are the first step for me to get to the top of the game. A powerful shove that soon made me engulfed by many sufferings to come.

 

What am I thinking all of a sudden? I need to clear off the blurry smoke in my head, not that I take pleasure in lighting up any kind of paper sticks. The smoke emitting from it always makes my head spin.

 

As I was staring blankly at the city lights, my sensitive ear picked up a tap on the floor behind me. I instantly rotated my body around, making the hanging suit on my shoulders to flutter its edges. Landing on its proper place while I watch with suspicion on where the noise came from. In front of me stands a man with slicked up Burgundy hair, wearing Rectangle glasses with no frames except the top linings.

 

A neat and tidy Navy suit overlapping a black shirt with a touch of white in the form of a tie and a rose Corsage on his left chest. Holding up a glass of clear champagne with his right gloved hand.

 

“Oh, it seems this place is already occupied. I hope I’m not interrupting you,” He spoke in a calm voice as both of us stood there blown by the gentle night breeze.

 

Tch, another pest, can’t I have a break from all of this? Ugh… Nevermind that…

 

“Not at all, be my guest,” I replied with a seemingly annoyed tone.

 

The man nodded and took a few steps before stopping to my left. 

 

“Are you perhaps taking a break from the rowdy reception?” He asked, facing towards me his left forearm resting on the railings.

 

“I might as well take my share, as it seems the bride has also wandered off on her own little fantasy world,” I resentfully replied, receiving a hum from the curious man.

 

He let out a light chuckle, “Everybody needs a breather at certain times, so I understand it from your point of view. As well as the bride’s,” 

 

I don’t have time to prolong this conversation any longer, it’s obvious where he is from. It’s better to get straight to the point in chatters such as this. I rotated my body around, facing his undisturbed self.

 

“Care to explain why the Consigliere of the Esmond Family takes any interest in conversing alone with the only underboss of the Flammia Family?”

 

“Hmm?” The man playfully hummed and turned his body towards me.

 

“Don’t play dumb… I know who you are, Kalem Esmond” I paused for a moment, glaring down at him.

 

“The All-Seeing Eye” I pronounced his nickname with a huff.

 

“My, so you do recognize that alias. Although I prefer to use the surname Coopers. But since I’m taken under Don Roderick’s wings, I pretty much guess people would use his surname over mine to address me,” He replied with a laugh.

 

“No need to be fret, I came with no malicious intentions. For I, also need to breathe in some fresh air far from the crowded hall. It just so happens I picked this area coincidentally,” He added with a chuckle at the end.

 

“Quite a view from up here,”

 

He was smiling as he overlooked the wide scenery of city lights, shimmering consecutively throughout the area. It may seem he has nothing in hand with me, but my head says something otherwise. My intuition is never wrong, when my guts rose, I trust them with my life... Always has been....

 

“Our relations may have changed because of this ceremony. However, being my brother-in-law doesn’t change the fact that you’re still from the South Family. Our long time rivals,” I spoke up, alerting the advisor as he enjoyed the Northern city view.

 

“And?” He added

 

“Get straight to the point, I can tell that you’re plotting something up your sleeves. Has it something to do with what I have done to your younger brother the other day?” I peered over his waist where his left arm was tucked behind.

 

“Oh, that? I’m not one to hold such resentments which could lead to something disastrous or worse,” He shrugs it off.

 

“Although, you’re quick to catch the wind” He briefly added with a lower ground-trembling voice in contrast to his light-hearted tone earlier.

 

The man then turned to me whilst tucking his left hand behind his waist as he raised his glass of Champagne in front of me. With a gaze fascinated with an impression of cat-like pupils did he look at me with a dubious smile. His Magenta eyes fixated on mine as it seems to have enveloped itself in a sea of emblazing Crimson swirls.

 

“I do have something which I have been wanting to discuss. Will you heed unto an advisor’s curiosity if I may offer?” He explained with a voice almost being a whisper.

 

“Do not worry, it’s not related to the ties of the underground world. It’s only a simple question, nothing more,” He added, finishing it with a suspicious smirk.

 

Hmm, it’s not what I would have entirely suspected. However, I couldn’t let my guard down, even if it’s not related to any of our business ties. For this person has a reputation of conspiring numerous tactics in turf-wars. 

 

In short, he’s also my competition and rival. In addition to being tied to the cunning and sleek young consigliere from the Melchior Family.

 

“Then get to it, Consigliere” I replied with a scoff at the end.

 

“Very well then,” The man sighed and carefully placed his glass of Champagne on top of the railings of the balcony and tucked both of his arms behind his waist.

 

He faced me with a subtle expression on his face. 

.

.

.

“What do you think about the leaves which fall off from trees?”

.

.

Huh?

 

I turned my eyes at him confusedly as he finished his question. What kind of question even is that, something that is so random to bring up in these kinds of situations. 

 

“Pardon me?” I lifted one of my brows in confusion as I crossed my arms uncomfortably.

 

“Oh, did you miss what I said? My apologies, perhaps the question is ‘sudden’ for you,” He let out a chuckle.

 

The man then placed his right knuckles under his chin, still tucking his left hand behind his back. Turning his head towards the wide scenery which can be seen from the balcony.

 

“Trees are one of the many examples of the essence of life, many beginnings may also mean numerous endings. Fruits from the tree itself gives nothing but endless desires and gruesome ends to those who seek them with a greedy heart. But a blessing to those who see to share its ripe fruit with others who needed them. These points could be mentioned as a metaphor in how people see it,” He explained as he stared off into the lightings of a nearby skyscraper.

 

“So, now, I’m asking for your opinion. What is your view if you see leaves withering down and fall off the very tree in which they have been carefully nurtured?” He turned his eyes upon me once more, however, there was less tension than what I was feeling earlier.

 

Metaphor? What is he getting at? Does this lead to some psychological or mind game bullshit? This is why I don’t find a liking to be in idle chatters, they're useless and excruciatingly annoying. Tch, I guess I have no choice but to answer it if it makes him shut his mouth.

 

“It’s only nature’s course, a cycle in which life leads to death. Like any other forms of life, it’s destined to end at some point. There you have it, satisfied?” I scowled, earning a hum and firm nod from him.

 

“I see… interesting,” He muttered and let out another hum as he clapped his hands together.

 

“People’s perspectives are individually eccentric, thank you for taking your time to answer it, Alvar” he called out my name casually as if he was a close subordinate of mine. Not that I have any of their kind on my agenda.

 

When I glanced at the man, he lifted his right sleeves up and started scanning the antique wristwatch with keen eyes. 

 

“Oh, would you look at that? My ten-minute break is over, I should head back to where I belong,” He added, gazing at me with a smile.

 

His eyes went down on the glass of Champagne he was carrying earlier on top of the railings. The thin handle was then gently taken hold of by his right hand. The alcoholic beverage seemingly breathed tiny fizzes inside of the transparent glass.

 

“May we meet again, it was nice to be engaged in a conversation with you,” he bowed his head, turned his body around, and started to walk away.

 

“Finally..” I muttered, not realizing that the taps of the man’s shoes were being halted in place.

 

When I looked up in his direction, he rotated his body sideways as he caught my eyes in his, “There’s one more thing I wanted to mention before I go. I almost forgot about it,”

 

With a tiny smile on his face did he rephrased these words.

 

“Take good care of my younger sister, I leave her in your hands. Please... don’t break her heart,” He added with a simple nod before he actually left the area.

 

As his back disappeared into the vast crowd, so did my vex towards him. I’m alone at last, I couldn’t handle it if he takes it any further. If anyone even dares to come and interrupt me in the next few minutes, I might consider calling it quits

 

Doesn’t he feel any opposition towards this union? Rather than avoiding me, he approached me and told me to look after his younger sister. That Consigliere is an odd one, it even sounds as if he was hiding something.

 

But the more I rewind his words and tone in my head, it made me realize something. His use of tone delivering the message was more of a plea… rather than a threat.

 

Huh…. How does he even keep his composure at times like this? I wonder… Although, there’s something that really bugs me about all of this…

 

Ten minutes… Did we really converse in that exchange of words for that long? And if it’s only just a quick break…

 

Why would he even bother to count it? Won’t he just keep the time to himself rather than openly mentioning it to me?

 

He’s indeed an odd one, I might have to be very careful around him.

.

.

.

.

Kalem POV

 

“Don Roderick,” I spoke up as I approached him standing near the Head of the Melchior Family, Fransiscus Melchior.

 

“Kalem, you’re back. Where are Alphonse and Adrian? I thought they were with you earlier,” Roderick asked as Fransiscus also turned his head towards me with a straight face.

 

I let out a chuckle, “Those two are just wandering around, this is uncharted territory for them. Boys will be boys, they tend to get their hands all frisky on unknown things. I hope Alphonse doesn’t stir up trouble with the Northern mobs, especially with the Flammias. However with Adrian around him, I doubt he would,”

 

When I finished that sentence, my and Roderick’s head turned towards a muffled cough coming from Fransiscus’ direction.

 

“You’re speaking as if my son was some sort of catalyst to a ticking time bomb,” Fransiscus narrowed his Violet eyes towards my direction with his arms crossed.

 

“Of course I didn’t mean anything rude by it. I’m only saying that those two are excellent for each other…. In terms of work and brotherhood. After all, they’re both the future Godfathers to each of our Families, are they not?” I let out a light-hearted chuckle to soothe the situation.

 

But it seems Fransiscus didn’t take that easy, he’s still peering at me with an excessive glare. He then let out an exhausted sigh, “Adrian still has a long way before inheriting that title from the Melchior Family. So don’t make any assumptions yet, Kalem,” He replied with a firm tone.

 

The way he used his tone was as if he was holding a knife against the crook of my neck. Chilling to the core, enough to intimidate his opponents or even frightened them. Although, since I’m used to his sharp-tongue, it means nothing to me. I stand by my ground undisturbed.

 

“Fransiscus, I’m sure he’s trying his best, that goes the same for Alphonse. They both compliment each other very well, give him time and you will see his worth,” Roderick interrupted, turning his body to face his fellow subordinate.

 

“Hmph,” Fransiscus cold-heartedly scoffed, the air between the three of us had gotten more awkward. Other than being surrounded by our fellow crewmen, I noticed some staring at us with eyes of hunger.

 

I cleared my throat in order to break the tension, “Aside from that, Roderick… We need to discuss something… About “what you asked me earlier”... I’ve got the information I need earlier,”

 

Roderick's face lightened up and then turned gloomy instantly, “Did he see through your act?”

 

“I hope not, I can’t say for sure if he does know what I’m trying to get at. Even with all of that, I managed to get his answer… If you’ll excuse us for a moment, Fransiscus,” I turned to Fransiscus, gazing at him right in the eyes sternly.

 

The man scanned our surroundings, glancing at a group of opposing mobs glaring at us, and simply nodded.

 

“I will make sure none of them will eavesdrop,” He added, eyeing some of his henchmen and jerked his head towards them.

 

“Thank you,” I replied

 

“Shall we?” Roderick mentioned, to which I replied with a nod.

 

Both of us walked away from Fransiscus as he arranged his men to come closer. Looking as if I and Roderick were still present around them. To avoid the eyes and ears of unwanted people, it’s how the Mafia always works. Let one slide and an avalanche of unseen dangers will engulf you whole.

 

“What can you conclude from questioning him?” Roderick quietly asked as we’re walking.

 

“It’s better if we discuss it somewhere quieter. I know you’re anxious to hear this, but we mustn't let our guard down,” I replied, glancing at the people who had noticed our movements.

 

Roderick then let out a deep sigh as we continued walking, “... I’m genuinely concerned for Alvar, if only I knew earlier that he’s within the Flammia Family,”

 

“Corleone did an excellent job hiding his whereabouts from us all,” Roderick frowned as he squinted his eyes crestfallenly.

 

“This way,” I led Roderick into an empty hallway outside of the venue as well as looking out for anyone trailing behind us.

 

We both reached our destination, standing before one and another. Scanning the area as well as holding tight into the wrist of my hand tucked behind my waist. I then turned my gaze and exchanged looks with the man yearning to learn the truth. 

 

“Coast is clear,” I muttered

 

“How did he respond to your way of questioning? Anything out of place?” Roderick instantly asked as soon as I finished my words.

 

“... I must say... It’s not looking great. Other than the fact that his personality has abruptly changed. It seems he doesn’t even recognize either me or you. If only he had answered up to my expectations as well as what I remembered in my memory...” I tightened my grip unto the wrist with a heavy heart.

 

“He’s the righteous and devoted young boy whom I knew very well from those years ago...” I paused for a moment as images of old memories ran through my head.

 

Reminiscing the dazzling smile that he gave as I had asked him the same question more than a decade ago. Those words which had caught my heart to also protect him with what I have.

.

.

 

.

“If you say it like that, Kalem. I think… it represents change… in a good or bad way. Seasons change like us people, no matter where we are… change is inevitable. But, it’s up to us individually to adapt to those changes… like how trees can still grow leaves in Spring even though it has gone through the horrendous climate in Winter...”

 

“And I want nothing more to protect those whom I cherished. My mom, dad, my sister and you all, including you Kalem! Even if there are drastic changes between us, I’ll do my best to make sure those who I loved are safe first. I swore on my soul I will!”

.

.

.

I felt tears swelling up my eyes as the memory ended, “And his answer earlier… it did no justice for us both. It was as if he didn’t even want to acknowledge our existence as more than his enemies,”

 

I lifted my glasses up from my face and began to wipe my teary eyes with my right thumb and index finger. A sense of sorrow filled my heart entirely as I remembered how many facades I was putting confronting him earlier… Not being able to casually call him like how I used to when he’s still little.

 

“... I see,” Roderick replied with a hurted tone.

 

There was a long silence between us, both of us stared at the floor with nothing but frustration filling our minds. I then put back my glasses in place and took in a sniff from the emotional episode a few moments ago. As sounds of faded festivities came from the venue, we both were only staying quiet until Roderick cleared his throat.

 

“Any information if his sister is still alive?... Mira?” Roderick’s voice quieted when he said that name.

 

“I tried my best to send my crew to search. In the end, none of them have gotten any proof. I’m deeply sorry,”

 

“You did your best, the effort you had put in is enough,” Roderick exclaimed

 

“Thank you for doing this, Kalem. Although, it must be troublesome for you, yes?” Roderick mentioned with a raspy voice, I can even see the gloom in his face in this dim hallway.

 

“Indeed it is, but if it were you who was to ask him… It could have ended much more harmful to you, Roderick,” I replied

 

“...I will see what I can do at this moment to reach out to him. No matter what it takes, I have to prepare myself to confront him. I need to know what happened to him on that day...” 

 

Roderick gazed at me with a grieved expression on his face. His Emerald eyes contained nothing other than all of the sadness which he had pushed down to resurface once more. The eyes that he made on the day where the glorious days had abruptly ended in Bremerwood’s history.

 

“The day which I assumed that he had died along with his entire family… as well as the day when the Mississipi Family had fallen apart completely,”

.

.

.

.

2