V03 – Chapter 37 New Bonds RM
819 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

***

--- Italica ---

June 1st, 2025

 

Princess Pina is standing on the balcony at the Italica palace. She is with her most trusted servant and friend Hamilton. There is another girl here, Countless of Italica, Myui Del Formal.

Myui and her sisters are the last of their family. All the men of her family were recently killed by the Other Worlders during the invasion of their world. When the Empire called for a grand crusade through the gate and being loyal vassals as they were, they went to war.

Her older sister Elle and Loui were already married off to other Counts and Dukes years ago. With both of her parent’s dead now, she is left to run Italica alone.

All three of them are looking outside past the wall, watching the large flying wagons the Americans call a Chinook. It is slowly hovering down to the patch of grass. Theirs is two of their soldiers on the ground holding these glowing sticks with others acting as security. It seems like they are giving it flying directions.

The villagers are also watching it, from the walls or the other tall buildings. They seem to be enjoying the event. That makes sense, they are the ones who saved the city not that long ago.

All three of them seen this flying device before, during the Siege of Italica(1). Two of these Chinooks came to the rescue and once they landed on the ground dozens of soldiers came out from behind it.

Unlike last time, they are expecting them to come. After that battle, the treaty stated that these Americans can set up a diplomatic outpost here in the city. This outpost is to maintain a dialogue with both the Empire and Italica. However, she is guessing this is an attempt for the Other Worlders to drive a wedge between the Empire and Italica, capitalizing on the good will they gain from the Italica peasants.

When the Italica Treaty was being negotiated, the terms confused her. At first it looked like they were the ones surrendering after divisively winning the battle. After spending much time thinking about it and Grey guidance, she concludes that they are looking for a peaceful resolution to the current crisis. She is happy  

"It is very impressive isn't it," Myui states as she watches the flying machine lands on the grass. "Princess, do you think your father knew they were this powerful before starting his crusade?"

Hamilton looks at Myui nervously. "Countless, you can't just say something like that. It is not proper."

"It is ok Hamilton. I have been wondering that same thing." Pina said.

She has been wondering that herself recently. Why would her father just blindly invade another world when we know nothing about them? It is probably we have been so successful in expanding our border, conquering everyone and everything around us for so long, that we think how could we ever lose?

Pina smiles after that thought. "Hubris…" She said quietly.

"I am sorry princess?" Myui asked her, hearing something.

She looks down at the eleven-year-old girl Myui. "Oh, nothing. Just thinking. It does not really matter anymore. This is the state of the world and we have to face it."

That is when Pina sees a man in what looks like in official black clothing. Compare to the soldiers, he stands out, not wearing whatever their soldiers’ wear. "Hamilton, is that their ambassador?"

Hamilton walks up and looks more closely. "I believe so. They did say the ambassador would be in a black suit. I don't know what a suit is but what he is wearing is all black."

"Then we better go down there," she said and then looks at Myui. "Stay here, I will handle this."

Before she and Hamilton could leave the balcony, Myui would reject her orders. That surprised them.

"No, I think I should be down there. This is my city after all." Myui said and then turns around, heading to the Other Worlders diplomatic mission.

Not given a chance to stop her, both follow Myui and head maid Kaine outside.

All three of them walk out of the palace building and head to where the Other Worlders are gathering. Since the treaty, Myui has been busy getting a cleared-out building and setting it up for their diplomatic guests. The building is a three-story building off to the west side, away from the marketplaces. She wanted them to be safe but at the same time not to encourage interaction with her peasants. Not until she can build some kind of relationship with them. Like thing she needs right now is an incident happening.

Since then, some of the Other Worlders have arrived to set up the building for their operations. They have not let anyone inside since they moved in. Armguards always posted, not wanting anyone to come inside. Some people have said they have heard them setting strange things up within the building walls.

That has not stopped the people from trying to interact with them. They have been trying to provide gifts like food, rare items, trophies, coin, women, whatever they think they could as a way for saying thank you. So far, they have taken some items, mainly food-related items. But anything of worth has been rejected, especially coin and women.

That last part did not surprise her. She learned during their first meeting that they do not take people as slaves or trophies. That has turned out to be a good and bad thing, diplomatically. It is customary during negotiations to offer people as tribute or as slaves. That means we do not have to give up any Imperial citizens but that also limits what we can negotiate with. She is struggling to come up with ideas that the Empire could offer the Other Worlders in a peace agreement sense their values limits the traditional offerings so much.

She looks to Myui as they walk, getting closer to the outpost. "Countless, it will be wise to let me do all the talking. I am the senior representative of the Empire here."

"And this is my city. Their wellbeing is my responsibility. And since the Empire is in no position to protect us, I must remain on their good side." Myui states.

She did not have an answer for that. She has seen it within the people, their loyalty seems towards these Americans rather than the Empire right now. And now Myui is clearly picking sides and there is nothing I or the Empire can do about it.

"Fine, but if you do anything to sabotage the peace process or act against the interests of the Empire, there will be consequences," she said towards her as they arrive at the diplomatic outpost.

They were expected and let in after a short length of time waiting. As they walk inside, they can see the American setup. Some of the self-moving wagons they saw before sitting inside the wall of the building. They see a few of them putting up the long pointy thing on the roof. They also see these strange looking glass objects on the roof too, facing Flare(2).

Hamilton looks over to one of the soldiers. "Sir… what are they doing to the roof?"

That is when they hear a man speak. "They are putting up an antenna. That allows us to talk to our people at Alnus Hill. The panels you see next to it are call solar panels. They collect the sun rays… heat that generates power or light."

The three looks towards one of the metal wagons and see that man in the black suit.

"I am Ambassador Harland Willington of the United States of America. I represent my country and our allies here in the Special Region." He walks over to them and looks at the three. He is surprised by how young they are. His reports state that he would be talking to children by Earth standards. However, it is still strange seeing it firsthand.

"I take it you are Princess Piña Co Lada and you must be Countless Myui Del Formal of Italica. Nice to meet both of you," Willington said to them. He then extends his arm for a handshake.

Both Hamilton and Myui wouldn't know what to do with that hand but she remembers when Major Sharpe did the same thing(3). She takes the hand and shakes it. "Thank you for coming. I hope your visit will be productive."

Willington nods his head in agreement. "I do too. Let us go inside and get out of this heat."

The four walked inside the building. As they walk in, the three girls stop.

"What… it is a hot day today? How is it colder in here than outside?" Hamilton said as she raises her hand up, looking at it.

Myui closes her eyes and smiles. "It feels so nice. So relaxing. What magic is this?"

She notices how different the temperature is too. She still does not understand these people and how their devices work but the only time she has seen them using magic was during the battle. But the magic-user was not from their world, she was from our world. They do not have magic in their world. "No, they don't use magic."

"That is correct. What you are feeling is AC. It regulates the temperature inside a building," Willington said to them, enjoying how impressed they are.

They begin following him again, looking everywhere.

"Princess," Hamilton said quietly. "They can control the temperature. It has to be some form of magic."

"No," she said back to her. "Their understanding of engineering is far beyond us. We must assume their engineering has surpassed the dwarves. Remember that we cannot get too distracted by all this-." She said before suddenly stopping.

They all get to the main living room of the building. There is a large table in the center, some decorations around. Pictures of these men, probably famous people from their world. Flags are around. There are these three documents on displacing on the walls too, how strange. But what got their attention was that there were no lanterns or torches on the wall.

What they see are these polls that are producing light. Light without fire. The room is light up like the Flare is lighting up the room himself.

"How… where is the fire coming from?" she said, confused.

 

---

 

Willington thinks about how he is going to respond. He now regrets to bring them inside the building. Should have gone over to them and talk, in an environment they would be more comfortable with. He has talked to people before, nations in the Third World but this is a whole new level. They don't even understand what electricity is. He knew that from his reports but an oversight when planning this meeting.

"It is a different kind of fire. It promotes light without needing to light it," he said to them. "Please have a seat."

All of them then sits down at a nice oak table.

"I think we should get right to it. My leaders are interested in ending the current conflict," he said.

"We want to end this conflict too," Pina responds. “I have a list of terms I like to discuss."

He did not comment; he just wants to sit there and listen. He learned a long time ago listening is a key to negotiating.

Pina pulls out a piece of paper and looks through it. "All current territory that is being occupied by your forces need to withdraw. This excludes the territory that is stated in the Italica Treaty."

That territory being Alnus Hill. It is smart that they just give that piece of land up and move on. In that treaty Pina agreed to allow the US to annex Alnus Hill and the surrounding territory around it. He already knows the Senate and President would never giving up this side of the Gate.

"We know that you have been accepting peasants into your base,” Pina said. “We recognize that town of Alnus however if any criminals of the Empire escapes there, we have to right to have them return to us. You agree not to intervene in internal affairs of the Empire and our vassals. This includes trade and civil strife."

He thinks for a moment and looks at the princess directly in the eyes. "I can agree with some of it. Assuming we sign a formal peace agreement, your internal affairs is none of our business. We also will have to define what criminal means."

As he said that, he notices the Princess all excited by that. "However, if a kingdom or city-state wants to deal with us, economically or security, we have to right to accept."

After saying that, he notices Pina's mood changed. She had to expect something like that. That is not the interesting fact, the Countess Myui seem to react more positively to what he just said. They must not be on the same page.

"My concern is that you might try to split up the Empire," she said at him.

"No, if we are at peace, we have no interest in your politics. But we are not going to turn away business and traders. We are here and not going anywhere." He explains. "This is what I propose. We can set up a joint form to allow our sides to take legal actions. If you feel like we violation the honor or spirit of our treaty, we can talk about it there. This can include what you said about people of interest in crime."

Pina sits there in confusion. "I take it that is common in your world."

"It is quite common. We have many different institutions solely designed for what we are talking about." he said.

Pina nods her head. "I think that is a good idea. Last time I talk to your people, they promised to return what they call prisoners. Is that still part of the arrangement?"

"Yes,” he replied. “You will have some within the next few days. Some of your people leadership."

She nods.

"I have something I want to say. What are your people's plans for Italica?" Myui said bluntly, forcing herself into the conversation.

Pina looks over, not happy that she is speaking. A mere noble daughter speaking out of turn.

He looks over. He expected a question like that, he was wondering when Myui would speak up. It is in the US interest to have Italica split apart from the Empire and because pf recent events he is hoping it would be organically then through force. If Italica can show the other cities on this world then it might inspire other cities to reconsider their relationship with the Empire.

 "What do you mean?"

"I mean this,” Myui said. “I propose having your people provide extra security for Italica. In return for trade cooperation. I know your people need food and access to markets. We also have one of the largest inland ports. I know we could work together that would benefit both Italica and Alnus."

 "Your proposal is bold,” he said, keeping any emotional cold as he thinks. He does not want to show Pina how interested he is with Myui proposal. He likes the proposal she layers out. Clearly, she wants the US in and the Empire out, but the timing is wrong.  “Since we are so close and already have a working relationship. I see something possible happening. However, my people's primary focus right now is a peace treaty."

"I think the foundations of an agreement has been set. I think it will be appropriate to take this to the next stage, your capital," he said.

"I agree. The Emperor will want to meet you and your people before any treaty is signed." Pina said, wanting to cut Myui out of the conversation. "Also, I have one more term. I want the people who were here before. Major Sharpe team."

That took him by surprise. He was not expecting her to be asking for an individual member, especially from the military. The more he thinks about it the more it makes sense. They have some history now and the Empire seems to value military strength so allowing the military to come might help push the dice to the US favor.

He read the name in a report but has yet interested in this man. "Why do you ask for him?"

"Because we have a working relationship, warrior to warrior. For this, to work we need to trust each other. We have an understanding." Pina said to him.

He was expecting that answer.

He sits there and thinks on that term. Originally, he did not want to get the military to involved in the negotiations. This should be led by the State Department, not the Pentagon. However, it seems like having this officer including might be a benefit. "I agree. I will make the arrangements."

Pina nods her head and stands up. "Then we should be going. I have to send out riders and prepare." She then looks to Myui. "Countess."

Myui looks up at her and then stands up.

Both bow at him and turn around, leaving the building.

 

---

 

Pina takes a deep breath, feeling stressed by that meeting. She always thought meetings like that would be easier. However, she is happy there is a chance for peace which should bring much glory and respect to her at Sadera.

The only issue she can see is Myui. She does not like how she acted in there, acting more like a separatist then a vassal.

Some time passes as they walk through the streets. As they get far away from the American outpost and close to the palace, Pina looks over at Myui. "What was that? I told you not to interfere."

"Stop and look around," Myui said, not fazed by the princess.

She looks around and just sees people everywhere. "I don't understand."

"Of course, not Princess. My city is sick. Crime is on the rise since all of my guards and soldiers are dead. The repair of the city is going to be costly. I don't have the men to protect the city, to keep the people in line and wage a war for you. Change is here and you either adapt to it for fall."

She thinks about what Myui said. It is true things are changing. The direction of that change is not in the Empire's best interests. That is when she realizes something, this eleven-year-old countess is willing to openly disrespect a Princess of the Empire, what about the other cities and vassals?

Before she could say anything, Myui keeps talking. "The Empire is in no position to offer anything for me. You started a war you can't win; I lost my father for what? My people have suffered enough for that."

"But they are the ones that killed your family," Hamilton points out, trying to defend her princess.

"And who's fault is that? They were defending their homes. Something I can relate to. They would be alive if you didn't go to war. Even if I didn't want to work with them, after what happen in Elies I have no choice."

"Wait… what do you mean Elias? What happen?" she asked, now confused.

They get to the palace and Myui walks in. "I found out this morning. The NATO are going to Elies. I have seen all their war wagons passing through. Valtris fell in two days, they already problem through the Elies Forest. Your Legions there will be slaughtered just like before.” She stops and looks at her. "Correct me but doesn't that mean the southern part of the Empire is cut off from the rest of us?"

She stops there, eyes wide open. She cannot believe what she just heard. No wonder she is taking matters in her own hands, losing Elies is a massive blow to the Empire. Over two-thirds of our foodstuff comes from the south. This war is going to destroy the Empire, far faster than she realizes.

 

***

--- Alnus Community ---

June 4th, 2025

 

A fresh new day at Alnus and Rory Mercury be on duty. She walks around the town keeping the peace.

She has found it strange that she has been here for so long. It feels good being in one place for so long, probably that she is making a real difference in the world.

A hidden thought on that though, after the Flame Dragon(4) and personally witnessing the force they have here afterward, she realized even as an apostle, she has no chance in fighting them. She probably can kill many of their infantry until their bullets tear her body apart enough however their largest weapons would destroy her to quickly. Sooner or later she would fall. She believes that if all the Apostles of this world units, together they still would not be able to stop them.

She is fine with that though; their true character has shown. In her opinion that is no longer the problem. The war with the Empire will win in their favor when they decide to end it. Right now, the only advantage the Empire has is how little knowledge the Other Worlders have of this world and it will only be a matter of time when that advantage will erode.

The real issue she sees now is integrating their people. These NATO people are like children living in dreamland, having no idea what to do here or how to interact with the different races. Interaction has been positive so far, but it is easy for one miscommunication for everything goes wrong. That point was hit hard for Rory during the Elias Forest Campaign. On kid sparked a war in the region.

"Hi, Myuute. How is everything today?" she asked as she walks up to her.

Myuute is on the wooden sidewalk, helping some civilians. Once she hears her voice, she turns around and gets happy, waving her hand. "Hi Rory!"

"Answer the question," she said smiling.

"Oh, everything is fine," Myuute replied with.

"Good." When she walks up to her, she looks around. On the other side of the street, she sees a group of children playing games. This would be the second group of children she saw today. "I was told by a guard were having a children problem."

Myuute looks at the direction she is looking at. "Yeah, that and other things. The town has grown big in a short period of time but there still is not that much work to do. Also, something about Child Labor Laws, I didn't really understand that class."

She smiles after hearing that. "They are strange people. Any other things happen while I was away?"

Myuute tilts her head up thinking. A thought appeared and she gets excited about it. "Oh yes, while you were gone, we had some Volraden appear."

She looks at her surprise by that. Volraden is a wolf demi-human race. Tall, strong, and great fighters. They come from a snowy place or in the mountains. They do not have a complex civilization like Humans and dwarfs do but people do not like to mess with them. Groups of them usually form mercenary gangs and fight for hire. A group arriving could be either good or bad.

"Can you take me to them?" Rory asked in a concerned voice.

Sensing that concern, Myuute nods and motions her to follow.

As they walk, she smirks at her. "So, as one of my followers, have you found a boy yet?"

That question took her by surprise. She looks over to her in shock. "What? Of course, not… I am a Siren...?"

She giggles and roll her eyes, expecting that answer. "You need to get over that fact. I bet you will find a soldier from the other world. Being exotic to them. Come on."

What she is being silly, what she said is true. While the nations of NATO are technologically advance, they act like children. She can see that they have not develop the maturity with her world, seeing all the other races, culture, actions, history, magic, everything through a child lens.

A part of this is because they do not fear anything on this work yet, because of their advance weapons. The other part is that everything on Falmart to them was once in a fantasy story. That is one of the reasons she is helping, she wants to help guild them until they develop the maturity and experience, they will need to have a long lasting influence on Falmart.

Myuute glares at her and then crosses her arms angrily. "They are there." She points forward.

She looks in that direction and sees about a dozen Volraden. All of them be sitting there quietly out of the way, eating in front of a food stand.

"Hmm… seems like they are not a problem," she said to herself out loud. Before Myuute can respond, she walks forward to talk to them.

"Hello, all of you. I am Rory Mercury. Are you enjoying your visit?" She asked, testing their reaction.

They all look at her and were impressed to see her here. A few of them say her name in a surprised voice. Some were too afraid to approach her, all but one.

"Hello, Mis Rory Mercury. We are all honored to witness the Apostle of Emroy." The Volraden said, getting on one knee bowing.

She enjoys having him bowing. Unlike some of the other Apostle who uses their power for glory and riches, she never abused her place. But still, seeing this made her feel like she still matters in this changing world.

"You can stand back up. Thank you for the flattering." She said to him. "Now, what is your name?"

"Name, my name was taken by my tribe alpha. You can just call me Wolf." The Volraden said.

She tilts her head in confused. "Where is your alpha then? No one should ever have their name taken."

"He is not here. I joined this group a few months back. They took me in their group." Wolf said.

"That is nice of them. What bring you all here-," she said, almost finishing her sentence. She notices him looking up into the sky. That is when she hears a helicopter flying by. She giggles a little realizing she finally able to say the word right.

She decides to look up too, but it was Myuute who points it out. To her surprise, it is flying unusually low, heading into the military base.

She then notices all the Volraden looking up at it, amazed and confused by the sight. That is when she realizes that they probably have not gotten used to the sight. "It is a helicopter. It is a normal flying machine these Other Worlders have."

Wolf looks back at her. "Helocopter? What does it do?"

She looks back at the helicopter and notices more details. The helicopter has the medivacs symbol on it, and it is heading to the Army hospital. She knows that means it is carrying wounded soldiers.

The Empire cares about its Soldiers, that is one reason why the Imperial Army is so loyal to the Empire however the Americans and the other allied nations from Earth take it to another level. She has been surprised how much energy and value they place in protecting their wounded. She has even heard Sharpe say, ‘We don’t leave our people behind, dead or alive’.

That they are willing to sacrifice many to protect one but at the same time one is willing to protect their many comrades. The more she is around them the more traits she finds are different, strange, and exciting.

She looks back at him. "There are many different kinds. They are used to attack the enemy, transport troops and supply quickly at long distances. That one you just saw picks up wounded soldiers and civilians from the battlefield."

"Hmm? Civilians?" Wolf asked, confused what that word means.

"People who are not soldiers. Villagers basically." Myuute said, including herself into the conversation.

"Ahh… interesting they have a word like that," Wolf said. "And they go help them?"

"If they are in danger or hurt. Usually yes if they can," Myuute said back to him.

"So, what brings your people here?" she said.

"Hmm, we were told by this traveler about this place. Amazing wonders, magic. Also, he said it is the safest place on Falmart."

"Well, that last part is true. There is no way the Empire can take this place. They tired and got slaughtered each time." she said, enjoying that part.

That is when Rory has an idea. These people look heavily armed, clearly mercenaries. But they also seem nice and non-threatening. "Hey, I don't know your long-term plans, but the Joint Alnus Community Military Police or just Alnus Military Police is hiring. We could use some people like you in the service."

He looks at them, taking the offer seriously. "I will have to talk with the rest of the group."

"That is fine. They pay and provide discount housing," Myuute said.

She looks at Myuute and smiles. She then looks back at Wolf.

"If you are worried about being deployed to war against your will, this part of the Military Police can't be deployed to the front lines. They can only operate within the town of Alnus," she explains.

Wolf thinks on it, really thinking on the offer. “I don’t know. I have been traveling for years, jumping from one group to another group. I am not use to settling down like that.”

"I will talk to them, but I am interested. Thank you, Miss Rory Mercury." Wolf said and the walks back to his group.

She and Myuute turn around and walk away.

"We better start our patrol," she said, giggling about the event.

 

 

Reference:

------------------------------------------------

(1)Chapter 14-20

(2)Flare is the name of their sun, Flare being the God of the sun

(3)Chapter 24

(4)Chapter 6

 

Discord: https://discord.gg/xe7nNHS

 

14