20. Boba Milk Tea Cake
239 6 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Friday midnight finds Robin inside Oliver’s apartment once more. It’s a little more messy than before, but nonetheless feels familiar.

“I already ordered dinner,” Oliver says, motioning to the two large pizza boxes set on the coffee table.

“Oh, I was looking forward to your cooking,” Robin teases. He sets the cake box to the side as Oliver retrieves cans of soft drink from his fridge.

Robin looks over the seasons of the Bake Off. “You’ve watched them all.”

Oliver ducks his head. “Yeah. Well. Season Six is the best.”

The show is good, and the pizza is fine, but there are other things that hover at the back of Robin’s mind. Like the guitar case at the corner of the room, and the messy pile that is a pride flag shoved onto one of the bookshelves.

Like how Oliver keeps glancing at him.

He must think Robin is straight, and that feeling of being seen wrong spreads uncomfortably over Robin’s skin.

The first episode ends, and Oliver pauses it. “Cake?”

“Sure.” Robin serves the cake: it’s a boba milk tea cake. The cake itself is flavoured with black tea, generously covered in tea-infused cream and topped with brown-sugar boba.

“You’ll be making milk tea ice cream next,” Oliver jokes.

“Don’t give me too many ideas,” Robin says, quirking his lips.

Oliver grins in return. “I live to serve, clearly.” He goes in for some cake, and gives a hum of enjoyment that in turn makes Robin feel warm and satisfied and pleased. He likes making desserts that people, such as Oliver, enjoy.

“I can actually taste the tea,” Oliver says with surprise. “And the boba are so soft and chewy.” He takes another bite, and then glances at Robin. “This isn’t at the shop.”

“You’re also my taste-tester,” Robin says easily.

“...So I’m the first?”

“You are.”

Oliver’s face lights up. “Wow, I’m so lucky,” he says, wiggling his eyebrows.

Robin snorts. “Yes, Mister Campbell.”

“Next episode?”

“Sure.”

But as the second episode starts playing, those thoughts start to return to Robin’s mind. He finishes his slice of cake, and tries to focus on the show instead of the items in Oliver’s living room.

But Robin’s been thinking about it for a whole week. About Oliver. About telling Oliver. He doesn’t think it’ll go badly, but what if he makes too much of a big deal?

A curly-haired baker moves on screen, and Oliver’s leaning forward just a little.

“Oh, that’s pretty smart to use a syringe to inject syrup into the cake,” Robin says.

“And he’s gay too,” Oliver mumbles.

Robin’s heart races. This is it, just say it—“Really? So am I.”

“Same.”

Something in Robin eases, and something else in Robin wants to jump into the air. He knows. He’s gay too!

The show continues. Robin doesn’t quite dare look at Oliver.

But as the silence drags, he has to know what Oliver’s thinking. He turns to look. Oliver’s just turned to look, too, and their eyes meet.

Oliver groans, but there’s a wry grin on his face. “This would have been much easier if we met at a gay club. Coming out all the time sucks.”

Robin’s lips turn up in return. “Agreed.”

But. You agree he’s hot, right?” Oliver motions to the screen where the baker-who-used-the-syringe appears again.

Robin tilts his head. “He’s simply standing there baking.”

“You know what I mean,” Oliver says, a hint of grumble on his voice. “I wonder if he’s still single.”

Robin raises an eyebrow, leaning back and turning to Oliver. “Oh, so you like this season because of him? He lives all the way in the UK.”

“Let me dream, Robin.”

Robin grins, and that grin widens when Oliver glances back at him and reddens.

“You really do like him,” Robin can’t help but tease. He fends off a cushion a moment later, but it’s worth it.

“Just look at him!” Oliver says. “He can cook, and I bet he can do maths and drive.”

“God-tier gay,” Robin says with a serious face, because he can.

Oliver smirks. “Exactly. I bet you can’t drive.”

Robin narrows his eyes. “Of course I can. I just choose not to park in the city.”

Oliver’s smirk widens. “Is that so?”

“Oh, look, your crush is on screen again.”

Oliver throws another cushion at him, but nonetheless turns to watch the screen. Honestly, it’s really cute, especially when Oliver unconsciously bites his bottom lip whenever a dessert appears on screen.

Robin’s chest swells at this easiness between them. He’s so glad for the day Oliver entered his shop, and he’s so glad that Oliver is now his friend. And maybe he’s being foolish, but he doesn’t want this to end.

Oliver glances at him, and Robin raises an eyebrow..

“Do you want another slice of cake?”

Oliver looks at him through his lashes. “Yes?”

Robin’s chest flutters, unable to stop the fond smile that emerges. “Then allow me.”

 

 

 

 

Robin and Oliver are talking about Tamal Ray ?

16