21. Black Sesame Milk Tea
259 9 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It’s not yet lunch, but Oliver drops by Robin’s shop right as it opens. His chest swells when he sees it’s just Robin inside.

“You’re early today,” Robin greets. “Any special occasion?”

Oliver grins, meeting Robin’s eyes over his sunnies. “What if I just wanted to see your face?”

Robin smirks. “What are you plotting now, dear Oliver?”

Oliver slides over his cards and reusable cup. “Hit me up, Robin.”

“So much trust,” Robin says.

“Now, now, don’t be evil.”

“Are you my hero?” Robin’s smile is easy, and he turns to make some unknown drink. Oliver refuses to read what it says on the receipt.

Knowing that Robin is gay—and Robin knowing that he’s gay too—has lifted such a weight from Oliver’s shoulders. Maybe...Maybe Oliver has a chance? Oliver’s heart skips a beat when he remembers how they had shared the same straw just last week.

By that point, Robin must have guessed that Oliver’s gay, so...did he mean that indirect kiss? Or...

Oliver’s heart clenches.

Or is Robin just like that with close friends and family, in the same way he shares food with them?

Robin glances over and their eyes meet. A small smile graces Robin’s lips, and Oliver quickly straightens his jacket, heat climbing up his cheeks. Who cares what Robin meant so long as he keeps looking at Oliver like that.

He watches Robin work, and the sounds of the shop are relaxing, and he wouldn’t mind bringing his laptop to work here. If only Robin’s shop is bigger, but Oliver understands that small business renting in Melbourne city is no joke.

Robin comes back with a grey and speckled-black drink. “No coffee in this one, just for you.”

“I can drink coffee,” Oliver protests playfully, but he happily accepts his cup and takes a sip. It’s nutty and roasted and a touch dark, but there’s no hint of bitterness at all with all the sweetness and creaminess of the drink; a beat later, Oliver detects the slight twist of milk tea.

“Black sesame latte,” Robin offers. “Instead of coffee, the milk is lightly infused with black tea.”

“Then it’s black sesame milk tea,” Oliver says, shrugging one shoulder.

“We’ll make a dessert connoisseur out of you yet,” Robin says, lips quirking up.

Two customers enter, and Robin’s co-worker enters a moment later. Oliver takes that as cue to leave. He exchanges a nod with Robin and heads out, slipping his sunnies back on.

Taste buds singing with sweet nuttiness, Oliver strolls back to work with his drink, light on his feet. To his surprise, his friends have appeared in the building’s lobby.

“Hey,” he greets them. “Back again?”

Kyle blinks. “That’s not coffee.”

Oliver curls the cup protectively against his chest. “You’re dodging the question.”

“So are you.” Kyle steps right up to him and narrows his eyes. “Matcha and Milk? You had a drink from there last time too, didn’t you?”

“It’s a black sesame latte,” Oliver grudgingly says.

“Huh,” Nina says, on her phone. “It’s nearby.”

“I didn’t know you liked sweet drinks,” Anderson says, brows furrowing.

Kyle looks at Oliver in a frankly scary way. “I want to see this shop.”

“Wait—aren’t you here to see someone?” Oliver tries.

“No, we wanted lunch with you,” Nina says. “If you can’t make evenings, you can make time now, right?”

“Yes, but.” Oliver frowns. But they’re his friends, so he pulls up a smile. “Sure.”

Great,” Kyle says. He peers at Nina’s phone, and leads the way.

...back to Robin’s shop. From the outside, Robin’s currently turned away, making something for his customers while his co-worker handles new orders. All they can see is his back right now, the way his shirt stretches over his shoulders.

Kyle’s eyebrows go up. “This is that straight boy you’re lusting over, isn’t it? Not bad,” he says. He cuts a look at Oliver. “Trying to win him over by buying his stuff?”

“It’s good,” Oliver says tightly. Yes, Kyle is his friend, but he’s still annoying.

“I want something,” Nina says.

Kyle smirks and heads inside, followed by Nina. Anderson waits outside; and with unease, Oliver heads inside.

Except, Robin’s finished, and has now switched places with his co-worker. His eyes immediately go to Oliver, a little frown forming when he notices the cup still in Oliver’s hands.

“Oh,” Kyle says. “You didn’t tell me he’s Asian.”

Oliver’s stomach drops, head snapping to Kyle. “Seriously, what the eff, Kyle?”

“It’s a bubble tea place, what did you expect?” Nina says.

Oliver looks desperately back at Robin. Robin’s smile is tight. He’d heard.

“Sorry,” Kyle mutters. “I don’t like bubble tea anyway.”

“How may I help you?” Robin says, a professional smile on his face.

Nina glances back at Oliver, and steps up. “Hey, can I have a chocolate hazelnut latte? Double expresso.”

“Of course.”

Meanwhile, Oliver nudges Kyle out of the shop.

What?” Kyle says, annoyed. “You never dated Asian guys before.”

“I’m quite sure he’s Aussie too,” Oliver says sharply. “Ugh—not that it even matters.”

Anderson, who’s been waiting outside, looks at them with curious eyes. “What happened?”

“A certain Kyle needs to grow up.” Oliver refuses to say more.

Nina eventually comes out with her late, and she directs them to a small restaurant a walk away. Oliver sits next to Nina.

In the lull of ordering and waiting, Oliver quickly pulls out his phone.

Oliver Campbell to Robin Quan: I’m so sorry for my friend. He’s a dick head.

Robin Quan: No worries, enjoy your day :)

Oliver Campbell: You too :) 🎂

Robin Quan: 🍰 🍦 🍓

Oliver Campbell: 🥺 don’t tempt me

Robin Quan: 😂

Oliver stares at the smiley face, but the unease in his chest remains.

“Are you seriously going to stay annoyed with me?” Kyle says sharply.

“When you stop acting like a brat,” Oliver retorts.

“He’s straight, anyway.”

Oliver presses his lips together, staring down at his mostly finished drink that Robin made for him.

 

 

 

 

 

Robin is our dearly beloved oblivious boi

16