The Potential Is There
1.5k 14 47
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Here's another chapter with 8,460 words for you.

Aro, one of the founders of the Volturi vampire coven in Italy, sat on his throne with his fellow coven members around him on their own thrones. They had just had a wonderful feed from several volunteers and their lifeblood was coursing through him. It was giving him the rush he so enjoyed when taking a life, even willing like it had been.

He did miss the days when he could take their lives without their consent; but, one must adjust to modern times. If given enough money, people would do pretty much anything you wanted them to do.

There was a knock on the large ornate doors of the throne chamber and one of the doors opened. A vampire that had been in their employ for over thirty years approached cautiously. He knew better than to upset them just after eating.

“My lords, forgive my interruption as you bask.” The man said and bowed deeply.

“What is it?” One of the others asked.

“Two envoys of the Dark Lord of Britain have arrived and are requesting an audience.”

A low chuckle went around the room.

“Again?” One of them asked. “Who is it this time?”

“According to the two men, it's the self proclaimed lord called Voldemort.” The man said.

Several members of the council chuckled and Aro raised a hand. Silence fell immediately.

“Send them in.” Aro said and everyone sat straighter in their seats and presented the firm front that they always presented to outsiders.

The two men were brought in and they looked both confident and sure of themselves.

“Thank you for seeing us right away.” One of them said. “Our lord has bid us to petition you for your assistance once again in the upcoming war.”

“Really?” Aro asked. “I assumed that after he failed the last time and didn't fulfill his promise to us, that he would be too afraid to send anyone to us again.”

The two men bristled at his words.

“The dark lord is not afraid!” The other envoy exclaimed.

“Are you sure? He came to us himself last time with you in tow, which was a sign of trust and respect. This time, he only sends his lackeys.” The man beside Aro said.

“Caius, please.” Aro said and the other man nodded reluctantly. “What is it he is going to promise us and then fail to deliver this time?”

“Your freedoms under the law in Britain, Scotland, and Ireland.” The first envoy said.

“So, nothing new or worthwhile.” The man on the other side of Aro said with a sigh.

“Marcus.” Aro said and Marcus sighed again with a nod. “Is that all? No other concessions? No offers of monetary gains, lands for grazing, or anything else?”

The envoys stood there and didn't say anything.

Aro sighed this time. “It's too bad for you that we've already eaten.”

“Wh-what?” One of the envoys asked, just before a sword sliced his head off.

“We are going to reject your lord's very lacking offer.” Aro said to the other envoy.

“Please, you don't have to kill...” The man's words were cut off with his head.

“Make sure to pull the appropriate teeth and pluck out the eyes with the tongues.” Caius said and the vampire with the sword picked up both heads and stuffed them into a canvas bag. Several servants came out from a side room and quickly retrieved the bodies and cleaned up the mess.

“Ugh, they don't even smell appetizing.” One of the other coven members said.

“Another reason why I don't regret that we just ate.” Aro said with a smile.

“Are you sending our own envoy to Britain?” A woman's voice asked and Aro turned his head to stare at the very beautiful vampire that was their enticement for humans to follow her to their deaths.

“Would you be willing to make such a journey on our behalf, Heidi?” Aro asked.

“If I can take a few choice members of the guard with me and perhaps the large private plane?” Heidi asked with a smirk.

Aro gave her a warm smile in return. “I see. Yes, I believe sending you to negotiate with British citizens is a good idea.”

“Thank you, Aro.” Heidi said and stood. “We'll begin planning the incursion immediately.”

“Please be sure to remain out of sight of the population. You know we can't reveal ourselves so nonchalantly.” Caius cautioned her.

“It's Britain and rains more than it's sunny. We won't have any problems, whatsoever.” Heidi said and left the throne room to begin the work she enjoyed and was well rewarded for. If she could find some especially delectable specimens for the founders, she was sure to increase her status and gain even more favor in their eyes.

*

“Good morning.” Bella said as she came down the stairs for breakfast. It would be her first actual school day of classes and she was only slightly worried that she was going to be a little out of sync with everyone else.

“Do you want bacon and eggs or eggs with a side of bacon?” Harry asked and she chuckled. “Eggs and bacon it is.” He passed her a plate already made up and she sat down. He had already served Charlie, who was dressed in his police chief uniform and was finishing off his second cup of coffee.

“Harry, you make sure to look after Bella.” Charlie said and stood to grab his coat. It was overcast outside and a bit chilly for fall. “Also, we had a frost warning last night. Be careful of black ice.”

“The truck can cut through that like a hot knife through butter.” Harry said and sat down to eat. “I'll watch the other cars, though.”

Charlie nodded and pat his shoulder, then gave Bella an odd look.

“She's not going to bite, dad.” Harry said. “Her mouth's full.”

“Hey!” Bella said when she swallowed a mouthful of eggs.

Charlie smiled at them and bent over to kiss the top of Bella's head. “You be safe, too.”

Bella could only nod and watched as Charlie left and he drove out of the yard in his police car to go to work. “Does he always go in this early?”

“Yeah.” Harry said. “He took the day off for you yesterday.”

“What? Why?”

“In case you needed him for something. Duh.” Harry said and tossed a piece of bacon at her.

Bella didn't try to dodge the shot and valiantly took it right on the face. She quickly slapped her hand over it to catch it, almost missed and recovered, then she shoved the whole thing into her mouth.

Harry chuckled and they finished eating breakfast. “We better get going if we're going to park somewhere else except for next to the Cullen's car.”

Bella nodded and grabbed her backpack and coat as she followed Harry out of the house. They hopped into the truck and drove to the school without incident. Bella did notice a few skid marks on the pavement along the way.

“Don't worry. This thing can plow through two foot deep snow without even trying.” Harry said. “Ice is nothing.”

“As long as you're sure.” Bella said and he nodded.

They arrived at school and managed to park two spots away from the sports car, to Harry's relief. He didn't want to have another direct confrontation with Edward, especially if his bodyguard was there, which he always was. Catching any of the Cullens alone was chancy at best. Even when they left their house, they always travelled in pairs at a minimum.

“Oh, before I forget.” Harry said and pulled a wrapped package out of his pocket. “I made this for you.”

Bella's heart fluttered a little as she received the gift. “Harry, what...”

“It's a native protection charm. No harm shall befall you while you wear it.”

“Really?” Bella asked and opened it to see a wooden wolf's face looking back at her. It was an inch wide and looked like it was barking. “Okay, I think I can see why.”

Harry chuckled. “It's tribal tradition.”

“Wolves, though?” Bella asked and took it out to see it was on a tough cord and it was long enough to easily fit over her head.

“There's nothing more loyal and fierce in their protection of those they care about.” Harry said and ignored her blush. “Come on, Jessica's probably driving Angela nuts while waiting for you.”

“I doubt she likes me that much. It's only been a day.” Bella said and climbed out of the truck. She saw a lot of people were looking at her and she wasn't sure why.

“You dressed extra nice today.” Harry whispered from beside her.

“But, I didn't.” Bella whispered back.

“Yeah, okay. Watch Jessica's reaction.” Harry whispered and winked at her.

Harry and Bella walked over to the normal meeting area where the students hung around for the school to open.

“Bella!” Jessica gasped and almost ran over to her. “What are you wearing? I love it!”

Harry tried to not laugh at Bella's glare.

“It's nothing.” Bella said and Jessica laughed.

“So modest.” Jessica said. “Lauren! Come look at this!”

Lauren was talking to the guy she had changed classes with and turned to look, then nodded and leaned in to whisper something to the guy. He kissed her cheek and walked off as she walked over to Bella.

“Ooo, nice.” Lauren said and looked at Bella from head to foot. “How long did you work on your hair?”

“Maybe ten minutes.” Bella responded, honestly.

“You have to tell me your techniques.” Jessica said and took her arm. “Angela has to hear this, too.”

Bella stared at Harry as he let the girls drag her off.

Harry mouthed the word 'sorry' and followed behind them at a distance.

'I'll get you for this.' Bella mouthed back and Harry smiled.

The school day seemed to pass by quickly for everyone, except for Bella. She had done most of the work the year before in Arizona and already knew most of what was going to be taught that year. When she mentioned this to the teachers, there wasn't really anything they could do.

“They won't even let you advance a grade?” Jessica asked as they gathered just outside the front doors.

“They only do it for exceptional students and not for scholastic boredom, or so they said.” Bella said with a sigh.

“Well, you're going to have a boring and very easy year this year.” Angela said. “I can't decide if you're lucky or unlucky.”

“Definitely unlucky.” Bella said. “I just hope they change things up for the biology lab tomorrow.”

“Good luck with that.” Jessica said with a laugh. “I dropped that as soon as I was able to.”

“Me, too.” Lauren said. “I could do the work easily, so that wasn't a problem. It was the smell.”

“Ugh! I know!” Jessica said and waved a hand in front of her face. “I lost count of how many times mom gave me smelling salts to clear my sinuses.”

“You know that's not what they're for.” Angela said.

“It worked and I'm not complaining.” Jessica said.

“Even if they do repeat something you've done, at least you'll have me there to distract you.” Harry said.

“Excuse me?” Angela said and then caught her breath.

“Oh! There's the jealousy I was waiting for.” Jessica teased and Angela blushed.

“Jealousy? What for?” Lauren asked and then she looked at Harry and then at Bella. “Ohhh, I get it. They're living together.”

“Nothing's going on!” Bella gasped.

“How many times have you seen him naked?” Jessica asked, a serious tone in her voice.

“N-never.” Bella said, her face going as red as Angela's.

“Was that hesitation I heard?” Jessica prodded.

“No! I was just surprised by the question!” Bella responded.

“Okay, sure.” Jessica said and smirked at Angela. “Who would have thought you'd have such brutal competition so close by?”

“I'm not competing for Harry!” Bella exclaimed. “We were raised together until we were six and I moved away! Charlie adopted him, too! He's more like a brother than anything else!”

Almost complete silence met her statement as everyone had turned to look at her outburst.

“I'm tempted to keep teasing you and say that you're protesting too much.” Jessica said and lightly touched her arm. “I'm sorry to get you angry like that. I didn't mean anything I said. I was only joking.”

Bella took a deep breath and let it out. “I'm sorry, too. I shouldn't raise my voice or overreact like that. I'm just frustrated with this whole school thing.”

“We can tell.” Harry said, his voice subdued. “We should go. I need to get supper started for Charlie.”

Bella nodded and she followed Harry over to the truck and climbed in. “Harry, about what I said...”

“There's nothing else to say.” Harry said and started the truck. “Your words were pretty clear.”

“No, I... I didn't have to shout and...”

“Bella, you don't have to explain.” Harry said and pulled out of the parking lot. “I understand.”

Bella saw the sad look on his face and opened her mouth to say something, anything, and she couldn't think of anything to say. She was sure that she didn't do anything wrong in reacting the way she did to the accusation that she was competing for Harry's affections, and yet, she felt bad just the same.

She never had thoughts of kissing him, or how nice his muscles felt when he had hugged her at the airport, or how awkward and slightly embarrassed she had felt when Harry had kissed Sunflower so thoroughly on the beach. Of course, now that her overly stimulated brain had brought all of that to the forefront of her thoughts, she was now thinking those thoughts, despite trying not to.

Neither of them spoke again, not even after they arrived home. Bella went right upstairs to her room and laid down on her bed. The pendant Harry had given her flopped out of her sweater and she grabbed it to put it back under her clothing, then she stopped and stared at it.

I wonder if he gave anyone else something like this. Bella asked herself and she went over in her mind what she had seen the other girls wearing as jewellery and she didn't remember seeing anything like it.

She laid in bed and tried her best to stop her swirling thoughts. She remembered the brief devastated look on Harry's face after her declaration and her heart withered a little at the image. She hadn't meant to hurt him like that, even if it was unintentional, and she thought about apologizing again. The last time she tried, he had shut her down and they hadn't spoken since.

Bella got up from the bed and stepped out of her room, only to see Harry's bedroom door was open. She stopped to glance inside, since she hadn't had the chance to go in before, and her eyes took in everything. The small and simple bed, the homemade cupboard for clothing, the dresser with only three drawers, and the desk that was covered with a bunch of things.

She stepped inside and noticed that everything was impeccably clean, except for the desk. She went over to it and her eyes widened as she took in the wood shavings, the large piece of old oak that a piece had been cut from, and the papers with odd writing on them.

He really did carve this for me. Bella thought and resisted the urge to touch anything, knowing she would be violating his privacy if she did, then her eyes caught sight of something under the sheets.

She picked up a pencil, in her mind asking to borrow it, then used the eraser end to lift the edge of the papers. She caught her breath at the normal writing on different colored paper and stared at the few words that stood out at this angle.

Ancient enemies... hunting grounds... boundary spell... Bella read in her mind and then saw one that surprised her. Shapeshifter.

Her mind almost refused to comprehend what she was reading and her curiosity was almost overwhelming her sense of preservation. She knelt on the floor to try and get a better look.

The only defense against the ancient enemies of humanity is the creation of the Shapeshifter by the tribe. It's sole purpose is to counter the enemies with brute strength and ferocity that their own strength and ferocity can't handle. The talisman of protection can provide substantial assistance in this task, as it is a specific boundary spell that protects and isolates the bearer for as long as they wear it, even within the designated hunting grounds.

Bella's other hand touched the carved wolf head that hung from her neck.

It is a particularly difficult talisman to construct and only the strongest of shamans should dare to attempt it. If successful, the bearer's belief in its power is not required for it to work and...

Bella couldn't read any more and slowly lowered the papers to where they were before. She relaxed because she hadn't disturbed the shavings at all and she slipped the pencil into her hair and over her ear to show that she had borrowed it and that was the reason she had entered Harry's room. She left and went down the stairs and into the kitchen.

“It'll be another ten minutes.” Harry said as she sat down at the table. He didn't mention that he had a trespassing spell on his room, just so he would know when anyone entered it, and he hoped that Bella found the information that he had left for her. When he turned to look at her, he saw the pencil over her ear and relaxed mentally. She at least looked. He thought and went back to cooking supper.

They both heard a car pull in and skid on the gravel outside. A couple minutes later, a very tired Charlie came in. His face was dirty and his uniform and coat were dirty as well and had several tears.

“Geez, Dad! Did you go mountain climbing or something?” Harry asked with a chuckle.

“Pretty much.” Charlie said and plopped down onto a kitchen chair without taking his coat off. “Please tell me the food's ready.”

“Just about.” Harry said and checked the pan, then nodded because it was good enough. He gave Charlie a huge portion, knowing he probably went all day without eating again, and gave Bella and himself normal portions. He had made enough for leftovers, in case Charlie wanted it later or had to go back to work.

Charlie almost groaned with pleasure as he took the first forkful of the stir-fry and it tasted so good. He started shovelling it into his mouth and chewing as fast as he could.

“Dad, what's going on?” Harry asked, concerned.

“Can't say.” Charlie said between forkfuls and kept eating.

Harry and Bella ate normally for a few minutes, then Charlie's plate was empty and he looked over at the stove. Harry stepped over and grabbed the pan before he dumped the rest of it onto Charlie's plate.

“Thanks.” Charlie said and kept eating.

Harry and Bella kept eating and finished at the same time Charlie did.

“I've got to go.” Charlie said and stood as he downed the glass of apple juice he hadn't touched for the whole meal. “Once something official gets reported, I'll let you know.”

“Okay, Dad.” Harry said and Charlie left the house at a fast walk. The police car pulled out of the driveway before the screen door finished shutting.

“What was that about?” Bella asked, confused.

“I want to say it's nothing.” Harry said and stood as he took the three dirty plates from the table. “Unfortunately, his behavior means there's a big case he's working on.”

Bella's eyes widened. “A big case? Here?” She asked, surprised. “Like what?”

Harry started filling the sink to do the dishes. “Well, the last time he was this rushed, it was Old Jensen's cows being stolen and slaughtered.”

“Wait, what? Cows? Who steals whole cows?”

Harry opened his mouth to respond with the obvious answer, since he knew who it was, then sighed. “They still haven't solve it.” He admitted, mainly because he didn't have the proof that they did it or could leave faked evidence to lead the police to the culprits. They would just deny it when confronted, anyway.

Bella looked confused and Harry smiled.

“Yeah, don't bother trying to work out how to run away with 6 cows and not leave tire tracks or footprints while also not having anyone see you.” Harry said. “The cops can't figure it out, either.”

“Train successfully derailed.” Bella chuckled. “So, what do you think it is this time? Horses?”

“Good god, I hope so.” Harry said and she looked surprised. “I'd rather have it be an animal and not... you know.”

Bella's eyes widened. “Oh.”

“Yeah.” Harry said and started washing the dishes.

Bella watched him from behind for several minutes and her mind went back to what she was thinking about before as she watched his muscular back moving under his t-shirt as he washed dishes. She had had her hands on that back in a hug and she hadn't realized how nice it was. She shook her head to push that thought out of her head and stood.

“I'm going upstairs to study.” Bella said.

“Make sure to put my pencil back when you're done with it.” Harry said without turning around. “The desk's a bit of a mess, too. If you want to, can you grab the little brush from the closet and clean off the wood shavings? I'd appreciate it.”

Bella had frozen at the mention of the pencil, then she took in a deep breath at his request. “Um... sure. I guess. For the pencil.”

“Thanks.” Harry said and picked up the frying pan with soapy hands and dunked it into the water.

Bella went to the closet and grabbed the little brush and dustpan on the back of the door and walked up the stairs. She went right into Harry's room without even pretending to go study and walked over to the desk. She actually did clean the wood shavings up like he wanted, then after gathering up the ones she could see, she moved the papers and things on the desk to get the rest.

This also let her see the entire set of pages that had Harry's writing on them. When she counted the pages of scribbles and markings and the different colored pages, they were the same number, so she accurately guessed that they were translations. She put the scribbles aside and flipped to the next page, since she already read most of the first.

The next page had the directions to create a ritual circle, what to chant, and what to do if it failed. The next page had two very realistic drawings. She looked at the similar page in the first stack and there were only markings and scribbles, so she deduced that it was a description and Harry had drawn out what they said.

Bella's fingers traced part of something that looked like a huge shaggy wolf and her eyes were drawn to the brown and black eyes. For some reason, they seemed familiar and she couldn't place them. She shrugged mentally and looked at the other drawing. It was a nasty looking human-shaped thing with a distorted face, extended teeth, and glowing red eyes. It didn't have hands and had long claws instead.

She didn't recognize the creature, and that was odd. She was sure she knew a lot about different fantasy creatures, thanks to the movies and books she had seen and read over the years, and this one stumped her. She looked at the next page and took in a sharp breath at the words, then started to read.

The ancient enemy, the bane of humanity, is the Vampyr (vampire). It is cunning, ruthless, and unbelievably strong and fast. Whatever they can't kill or devour as food, they will convert into one of their own. Their methods are unknown. Their motives are unknown. All that is known is that when they arrive, people die. It is a repeating pattern that we (the tribe) have seen for centuries.

It is our job to protect those that do not know and to do so without their knowledge. If one side of a conflict is discovered, all is revealed. If this happens, all will be lost and our efforts will be for naught, for we will all cease to exist.

Bella stared at the paper and was at a loss for words. She put the papers back and saw the top paper had 'Quileute Tribe Legend' written on it. She relaxed a bit at that, because what she had just read was just like the story that Jacob had told them at the beach bonfire. It was also just as unbelievable.

She went to her room and shut the door before she laid down on the bed. She took several deep breaths and let her mind wander. She didn't even bother picking up a book to pretend to study and just let her thoughts float around randomly. She thought of her old friends back in Arizona and wondered if they missed her.

Bella let out a huff and rolled over onto her side. She hadn't heard from them at all and she had sent letters to them weeks ago. She knew the postal service wasn't that slow, so either they were waiting to respond or they weren't going to. She let out a sigh as she felt her jeans dig into her hip a little, so she climbed off of the bed and changed into jogging pants and a t-shirt.

She had grabbed them randomly, or so she thought, until she put them on. The t-shirt was the same color as the one Harry wore and the jogging pants were the pair of his that she had accidentally mixed into her own laundry and forgot to give back. Her face went a little red at the thought of wearing a guy's clothes, then she felt how comfortable they were.

Bella barely considered changing her clothing before she climbed into bed wearing it. She was going to have to wash them anyway and rolled back onto her side under the blanket. She could see out the large window and the tops of the trees over 30 feet away didn't block her view of the bright night sky and the sparkling stars.

She slowly drifted off to sleep while staring at the view and completely forgot the pencil that she had tucked into her hair above her ear. If she had stood up and looked out the window instead of doing it from the bed, she would have seen Harry walking around the yard and reinforcing the protection wards around the property.

*

The next day was Wednesday and the day that Harry was going to enjoy. He had always liked learning about animals, the more exotic the better. He felt a little bad about the dissection part; but, he was learning a lot and wondered what they were going to do this year. As long as it didn't get too outrageous with the specimens, he would be able to stay comfortable in the class.

If not, then he would have to protest the unethical treatment of animals, like the tribal elders would want him to. He wasn't sure if he wanted to make a scene, though. That wasn't the point. He didn't want to force his thoughts and beliefs on others and would probably protest to the teacher in private and then not attend the classes for however long they would be working on it.

Harry wasn't going to have to worry about that for months, hopefully. According to Bella, it was all just basic stuff for the first semester until Christmas. He glanced across the cab of the truck and looked at the only girl that meant the most to him in his short life. She had been quiet ever since her outburst the day before and his poor heart had crumbled at her harsh words.

She had been the only thing he had when he was a kid. Charlie was a bit distant because of his wife and Renee didn't want anything to do with him, which meant the only one in the whole world that wanted to spend time with him was Bella. He could remember a lot about their time together, mainly because of all the spirit journeys he had been taking under Old Harry's lessons to bring his mind and body into sync.

The devotion and love Harry felt for her was more pure than anything else he had ever felt. It filled his being unlike anything he ever experienced and he eventually brought those feelings forward and let them settle into his heart. The only one he ever wanted to be with in his life was her, because she was the only one that hadn't disregarded him.

That was why her name had been his first word. Even that young, he wanted her to know that she was the most important thing to him. Once he had rediscovered those feelings years ago, his whole world outlook had changed. Nothing seemed as hard anymore. He was happier, more energetic, and nothing would get him down. He hadn't seen Bella in ten years and he still had those feelings for her.

No one else mattered to him except for her. She was smart, she was beautiful, and he wanted to get to know her all over again. It was just too bad that she didn't feel the same way or want to get to know him back. She was personable and answered anything he asked, except that she didn't reciprocate. He was sure she knew some things about him that she overheard from others; but, she never really asked him about himself.

She didn't ask what his interests were, or what he liked, if he had a favorite food, or what his favorite color was. It was frustrating, to say the least. He was desperate to learn as much about her as he could, because of all the time he had lost while she was away, and she just seemed to ignore the whole thing as if it didn't matter.

Harry pulled into the parking lot and went to park, then let out a curse. There were now four sports cars in the last remaining spots and it left him almost no room to park. Bella stared at the cars as Harry very carefully pulled into the very last spot that was next to the trees and a black sports car that looked more expensive than their house.

“I'll come around.” Harry said and did just that. He held the door for Bella and used his own body as a buffer for the sports car. They would have to rush at the end of the day to get out before the Cullens came out to go home. Bella handed him his backpack and they walked over to the school. It was a lot colder today and they wore heavier jackets, as did a lot of the other students.

“There you are, Bella.” Jessica said as they approached her, Lauren and Angela. “Quick, show me your top!”

Angela smiled and Bella hid her sigh as she opened her jacket to let Jessica reveal a very nice top paired with stylish dress pants.

“Ooo, classy.” Jessica said. “You have to have me over one of these days.”

Lauren chuckled. “You just want to raid her closet.”

“Of course I do.” Jessica said, unabashedly. “I have to see what other treasures she has stashed away!”

“Actually, that sounds kind of nice.” Bella said and the three girls looked surprised. “When do you want to come over?”

“R-really?” Jessica asked, surprised.

“Sure.” Bella looked at Lauren and then at Angela. “Why don't you all come over?”

Angela caught her breath. “You want to have a sleepover?”

Bella thought about her room and how big it was, then she nodded. “Two or three of us can easily fit on the bed and...”

“We'll definitely all fit.” Jessica said, adamantly. “When do you want to do it?”

“The weekend's coming up, so why not Saturday?” Lauren said. “I'm not busy and neither is Lauren.”

The two girls looked at Angela for her answer and she looked at Harry.

“She's not busy.” Harry said, letting Angela out of their unofficial date. He wasn't really in the mood for company now, anyway.

Angela looked both relieved and sad, which the other girls ignored.

“Great! Bella, we'll met up at your place at six, right after supper.” Jessica said just as the bell rang. “Have fun cutting up frogs!”

Angela shook her head at them as they left. “Come on, we've got to get there early or we'll be stuck at the bad table.”

“The bad table?” Bella asked.

“It's got a funky smell, according to Jessica.” Harry said. “She said one girl smelled like it for days afterwards.”

“Let's go!” Bella said and took Angela's hand as she jogged into the building. She had to slow down because of the other students and grew frustrated as they impeded her progress. The last thing she needed was to draw even more attention to herself and if it was bad attention, that would make it ten times worse. Just as they made it to class and entered through the open door, the teacher held a hand out to Harry.

“What's this?” Harry asked and unfolded the note. “Oh, damn.” He said and looked at the teacher with a sad face. “Please forgive me for this.”

“It's all right, Mr. Swan. I've been briefed about your status as the local tribe's Shaman trainee. Government treaty partners take precedent over schoolwork.” The woman said with a smile. “However, I expect you to do any work you've missed before the next class.”

Even though he was surprised with the teachers words, Harry didn't say anything as he nodded agreement, then he turned to Angela. “Bella's your responsibility for today, so don't let anything happen to her.”

“Geez, Harry. Relax.” Bella said. “It's just biology lab.”

“I know that, but...”

Bella pointed to the door. “You have to go, don't you?”

Harry sighed. “I'll try to get Charlie to pick you up if I can't make it back in time.”

Bella's eyes widened at his words, because it meant he wasn't just leaving for the class, he was leaving for the entire day. “I'll find a way if you can't.”

“Bella...” Harry started to say.

“Go.” Bella ordered and Harry turned around and left the room at a jog. “Does he have to be so overprotective?”

Angela gave her a knowing look.

Bella sighed, because he was probably the same way with Angela, the girl he likes. “You normally sit with Harry, don't you?”

Angela nodded and led her over to the middle table and sat down with Bella sitting beside her. The room quickly filled up, to Bella's surprise, and only one table was left. She glanced at it and took several test sniffs to see if anything smelled, and couldn't pick anything up.

“All right, class.” The teacher said as the bell rang and she walked over to the door to shut it. “It's time to...” She stopped talking when someone slipped through the opening and she had to pause before she shut the door on them. Every girl in the class gasped at this person's sudden appearance and the guys groaned.

It was Edward Cullen.

“Mr. Cullen, you were almost late.” The teacher said with a slightly stern voice.

“Please accept my most sincerest apologies.” Edward said and bowed his head a little. “I was talking to Emmett and was distracted.”

The teacher smiled a beautiful smile. “Well, it can't be helped.” She said, clearly much happier than she had been a second ago. “Just don't do it again, alright?”

Edward nodded and walked right over to the only table that wasn't occupied. The rumored stinky one. As soon as he was near the thing, his nose wrinkled up and he had a harsh look on his face. He moved to the far side of the desk and sat right beside the window. He was taking very shallow breaths, as if he was panting from exertion, and didn't want to take a full breath.

It must stink really badly when you're closer to it. Bella thought and did her best to ignore the plight of the handsome guy at the next table. She was only partially successful, because as the class went on, the guy seemed to get worse as the smell got to him. He was agitated and twitched a lot, which gained a lot of attention from everyone and not just Bella. She was the closest and saw the most, though.

As soon as the bell rang to end the class, Edward shot to his feet and practically ran across the room to leave. The teacher and everyone else stared at him for a few moments, then she shrugged.

“Read the rest of the first chapter and get that diagram done by next week.” The teacher said and the students packed up and left.

“That was really weird.” Angela whispered as she and Bella left the classroom.

“I think the stink rumors are true.” Bella whispered back. “He looked like he was being tortured.”

“The poor guy.” Angela whispered as they went to their next class.

*

“You have got to be kidding.” Harry said and stared at the Quileute tribe's chief after what he just said.

“No.” The gruff man said and tossed a manila folder onto the desk between them. “Look.”

Old Harry picked up the folder and opened it. Inside were gruesome black and white photos of a crime scene that the police were calling an animal attack. “Son of a bitch.”

Harry looked over his shoulder and sighed. “Are the investigators intentionally covering it up? Those clearly aren't animal claw marks.”

“They assume.” The chief said. “No attacks like this can happen with hikers, so they choose to blind themselves.”

“Gods above and spirits abound, what are we going to do?” Old Harry asked. “I'm not an expert; but, this looks like they were thrown off a cliff.”

“They supposedly fell after being attacked.” The chief said with a huff and passed them a map of the area where the body was found. “The blood being drained away is being explained as bleeding out and soaking into the ground or washed away by rain.”

“What? How can they...” Harry stopped talking when he understood. “It's been there for a week, hasn't it? That was the last time it rained in that area.”

The chief smiled. “You are learning well, young shaman.”

“No wonder Charlie was all dirty and his clothes torn. This place is a nightmare to get to.” Harry said as he examined the map. “Just the ravine alone is a mile long.”

“The cliff face is over three hundred feet high.” The chief said. “A certain death.”

Harry looked at the photos that showed the entire body. “No, that's not what happened. It looks like that; but, that's not it.”

“What do you mean?” Old Harry asked.

“He landed on rough ground and jagged rocks. Most of his bones should be broken with a fall from that height.” Harry tapped one of the photos that showed a fully intact arm. “There's no possible way that arm could be unbroken after that fall. It even looks like the elbow is intact.”

The chief nodded. “You agree that it has been staged.”

“Old Harry?” Harry asked.

“Yes, there's no doubt.” Old Harry closed the folder. “What do you need us to do?”

“Two things.” The chief said and his eyes went hard. “First, you must go to this spot and ask the spirits if this is what we suspect it is.”

Old Harry took in a sharp breath. “Chief! You can't possibly think...”

“Second.” The chief said as if Old Harry hadn't said anything. “You are to perform the sacred ritual on the chosen representatives as soon as possible.”

Old Harry looked sick and Harry's own face showed shock.

“We will not be left unprepared.” The chief said and glared at them. “You are entrusted with our sacred texts and rituals for a reason. It has become time for that reason to be brought forth.”

“Chief, really.” Old Harry said, his voice unconvincing. “You don't want us to do this.”

The chief sat forward in his chair and his glare became one of both worry and concern. “Harry.” He said and looked at Old Harry, then looked at Young Harry. “Harry.” He put his old and wizened hands on the desk. “We are entering a time of strife. My old bones sing with the coming storm.”

Both Harrys sat up straight. By his choice of words alone, they knew what the chief elder said was true.

“I am full of sorrow for what we are about to unleash and I have nothing but regret for what it means for us as a dwindling tribe and as a people.” The chief said and smiled sadly. “I want you to start with my son, Sam.”

Harry took in a sharp breath and Old Harry sighed.

“I see what you mean, chief.” Old Harry said and looked at Harry. “I hope you're up for a good long hike today.”

“I already called Charlie to tell him I'm here with you. He'll pick up Bella from school.” Harry said.

“Good.” Old Harry said and stood. “I'm thinking this might be one of my last outings like this.”

“You're not quitting on me, are you?” Harry asked with a smile and stood as well.

Old Harry laughed. “It's more like I'm going to retire and hand off the field duties to my young and more than capable apprentice.”

“When this matter is done, I'll give my permission and my blessing.” The chief said to them. “May the swift winds carry you, my old and young friends.”

Old Harry and Young Harry bowed to the chief and left his office. They had a few things to gather and prepare before they headed out on their last field mission as a pair.

“Are you sure you can hand this all over to me so soon?” Harry asked as they went to Old Harry's house to get the things they needed and some climbing gear.

“Harry, I could have done it a year ago.” Old Harry said, to Harry's surprise. “Ha! Don't looked so shocked, Harry.” He said and pat the young man's shoulder. “Did you honestly think that I wouldn't feel you completing the Quileute Tribal Talisman successfully?”

Harry's mouth dropped open and Old Harry laughed.

“Don't worry. I'll tell you how I did it on the way.” Old Harry said and Harry nodded.

*

“It has to be a bear.” One of the deputy officers said.

“For Pete's sake, it can't be a bear! It needs five claws to be a bear!” Another deputy said.

“Hey, don't drag me into this.” Pete said and held his hands up in surrender, which made Charlie laugh.

“I think it's a mountain lion.” The local hunter that found the body said.

“There hasn't been a mountain lion around here for twenty years.” The deputy that claimed it was a bear said.

“The pattern fits.” The hunter said with a shrug. “Look, four marks across the chest. That's three paw claws and a dew claw.” He pointed to the fainter mark on the photo of the body's bare chest. “The spacing alone says it's a couple years old, if that.”

“Good God, don't tell me that.” Charlie said with a sigh. “I can't tell the mayor that we have a mountain lion running around the back of the county.”

“I don't know what else to tell you.” The hunter said. “Unless you bring in one of those fancy lab people or an animal expert from a zoo or something, I can only tell you what I think.”

Charlie rubbed his sleep deprived eyes and stood. “Dammit, all right. Pete, write it up. I'll take it over to him myself.”

“Are you sure, chief?” Pete asked. “If we submit this and we're wrong...”

“We can't let it go another day and not tell anyone.” Charlie said. “If there are any other hikers out there that didn't stop here first before going into the woods, we're going to have more than enough work before we have to worry if it's really a mountain lion or not.”

That made the deputies take notice and understand the situation.

“I'm on it, chief.” Pete said and went to his desk to finish the report.

*

The mayor was not a happy camper. It was prime hiking season, where all the leaves in the trees were starting to turn to a kaleidoscope of colors. Everyone and their dogs wanted to go for a hike in their majestic woods and none of them were going to be happy with a certain mayor when he announces that they need to be careful of a possible mountain lion.

Thankfully, the death had been attributed to a fall and not from the lion, so there was some leeway to how he could spin the media to his favor. He was going to downplay the possibility and only issue a caution and not a full warning. No restrictions, no pass requirements, and no expert assessments to determine if you were safe to enter the area. It was just a caution and no need to panic.

The mayor smiled and called in his secretary that was also is press secretary. “We have work to do.”

*

The school day ended and there was no sign of Harry all day. Bella was disheartened at that. She had no idea that Harry could be called away like that and leave her all alone like he had.

“Hey, you'll see him at home later.” Angela said, her voice soft and reassuring.

Bella gave her a questioning look and Angela blushed a little.

“I mean, not that you're worried about him or anything.” Angela said. “I just meant that he's okay and...”

“I get it.” Bella said and looked over at the parking lot. “I don't see his truck.”

“I don't think he's coming.” Angela said and nodded to the road. A police car was driving slowly up it because of the heavy traffic.

“I hope it's Charlie.” Bella said. “See you tomorrow, Angela.”

“Bye.” Angela said and watched as Bella stepped off of the grass and started to cross the parking lot.

There was suddenly the sound of a horn honking and squealing tires.

“Look out!” “Black Ice!” Watch Out!” “Run!” A bunch of people were yelling at the same time.

Bella stopped walking by the back of a car and turned to look, only to see the side of an out of control panel van skidding towards her. It was moving so fast that she only had time to fall backwards onto her butt before she closed her eyes and waited for the metal to hit her face.

*CRRREEAAAAKKK!*

Bella was surprised that she didn't feel any pain, even after the sound hurt her ears. She opened her eyes and saw Edward partially suspended in mid-air in front of her, his back wedged into the side of the van, and a shocked look on his face.

“Wh-what are you?” Edward and Bella asked at the same time.

When neither of them responded, Edward put a hand on... something... in front of Bella and pushed. The van moved a little and Edward pulled himself out of the back-sized depression in the van. He used his hands to quickly form the corner of the car into a similar shape, even bending it up slightly, then he whispered.

“You saw nothing.” Edward breathed and then ducked down as he slid underneath the car and disappeared from sight.

Bella was too shocked by what had happened to even react. Her eyes were wide and her mouth had made that little 'o' of surprise the whole time.

“BELLA!” Angela yelled and ran over to the back of the car to peer over the edge to see a stunned Bella staring up at her with wide eyes and an open mouth. “Oh, my GOD! BELLA! ARE YOU OKAY?!?”

Bella couldn't respond. It has been too much for her brain to process and she fainted.

“Oh, god! Is she dead? She's dead, isn't she?” A young man's voice whined and his form crumpled to the pavement. “I've killed the beauty of the school!” He exclaimed and started crying.

That got everyone's attention and everyone ran over to look. Police sirens blared loudly for several seconds and everyone froze where they were.

“Everyone back!” A man's deep voice said through a loudspeaker and everyone jumped and moved away from the accident, even Angela.

They all watched as an outwardly calm police chief stalked over to the scene of the accident. He leaned on the back of the car and looked over the edge to see his beautiful daughter collapsed on the pavement between the car and the crumpled van.

“Bella!” Charlie exclaimed as his heart broke. He couldn't lose her now, not after just getting her back. He just couldn't!

He ran back to his car and grabbed a tow rope from the trunk and tied it to the van's trailer hitch, then he tied it to his push bar and revved his engine. He slowly eased the car back and listened as the van's tires skidded on the pavement. When it was a foot away, he slammed the gearshift into park, set the emergency brake, and ran back over to the accident.

Charlie had enough room to get in now and he carefully squeezed in to partially kneel beside the prone form of his daughter. He quickly checked her pulse and sighed as it was nice and steady, albeit a bit weak. He left and went back to his car and called the police station on the radio to report the accident, then he called for an ambulance. He didn't quite threaten them with jail time if they weren't there in ten minutes; but, they got the point.

They showed up eight minutes later.

47