1 – Rebirth
185 2 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I died.

I don't remember how I died though.

I've thought about it many times in this endless void, when the Things in the Dark weren't brushing past me.

I remember my life but not my death, the thing I wish to know the most eludes me.

I can't see, hear, taste or smell. All I can do is feel. Feel the endless cold and the Things in the Dark.

A light. I saw it briefly. A flash in the great distance, I reach for it and am blinded.

I'm falling, though I cannot see, hear, taste or smell, I can feel it. The air as it brushes past me. I am falling.

I am no longer falling, I feel something soft against my back but it's cool.

The sound of crying echoes around me, a woman's wailing disturbs my comfort. She mutters beneath her breath of cursing the Gods and herself. 

Why?

I try to ask only to hear the stifled cry of a baby.

The Woman's crying stops and I hear the rush of feet.

She gasps and I feel hands grasps at me, far larger than I expected and I am weightless once again.

I ask her to stop.

"waaaagh!"

The woman brings me into a hug and begins to mutter sweet things to me that I have not heard in a very long time.

"Oh my baby, my baby, the Gods sent you back to me! You were gone, I know you were gone, your tiny body was cold as the grave! But you've been returned to me! A miracle! Your father left to fetch the healer, he'll be so happy when he returns! Mother won't leave you again, never again."

Oh. Who is this woman? Is she related to me? And the noise means I'm a baby. Intriguing. But I'm also not a baby. I'm something else.

I was a man from.. somewhere, I remember few things from that place only that I was a man and that I lived a mundane life. I suppose this is rebirth, a second chance. 

I shall not squander it.

The Void has changed me, bathed in the power of the Eternal Dark, I am something else. I am a Doppelganger and I have assumed this body as my host. Fascinating. These powers. I shall use them well.

I attempt to calm the woman down who is now pacing with me in her arms, attempting to nurse me. I use my power and calm her by projecting my own calm into her. I feel hungry and latch on. I need to eat to grow and live, or rather, this body does. She is nursing me, she must either be a mother or a nursemaid of sorts. I wonder. I feel her intent and love, she must be my mother.

It's hard to think properly in this form. I feel myself slipping into sleep after mere minutes. I'm unable to open my eyes or perhaps I have forgotten how.

No matter, for now I will allow sleep to claim me and when I awaken my new life will begin.


 

"This way esteemed Healer, through here, please help my wife and child."

The man, tall with blonde hair and violet eyes, ushered in the old crone through the doorway to his farmhouse.

"Do not fret young one, these old bones have saved many  a life with these hands."

"Yes, thank you esteemed Healer. Thank you."

The man replied in a servile fashion and closed the door behind him. He noticed his wife cradling their child in her arms, feeding from her teet. Her blonde hair falling gentle behind her shoulders and her violet eyes wet and reflecting the firelight in the central pit.

"Brom, it's fine, our child came back to us. The Gods gave us a miracle."

The old healer frowned and spoke before the man could.

"And what do you know of the Gods? That they would bestow you with such grace? Come let me look."

The mother of the child walked forward to show her child to the healer as the father came to the side nervously.

"See? She's fine."

The old healer looked at the child with a glint of confusion in her eyes, yet glancing at the child's father, Brom, she saw no intent to deceive her, perhaps it was the woman's trickery at work.

"And what was wrong with him before that you sent Brom to fetch me so late at night?"

The woman paled at her tone.

"Please Esteemed Healer, our child was truly cold, I feared dead. She seemed dead but when I was in despair, I heard her cry, she came back to us. If it's not a miracle then what is it?"

The old crone stood and pondered before raising her right hand which glowed in a white light briefly before she touched the baby's forehead.

She remained silent for a few moments, her eyes taking on a glazed look before coming back to herself.

"Hmm, so it is. The body has onset necrosis, nothing to worry about. It may affect standard growth in the future but for you folks I'm sure that means less to feed her. This should be a boon. All men love a petite woman."

Brom paled now also.

"Are you sure Esteemed Healer? There won't be any problems?"

"You question this one Brom? You were not raised with such disrespect, what would your parents think of you to doubt me."

"You're right, I apologise esteemed Healer, thank you for your words.

"Enough with this 'esteemed healer' business, I raised you Brom. I might as well be kin. Call me Finara when we're out of the public eye."

"Yes Finara."

Brom turned to his wife and spoke.

"Wyla, we're blessed that our child is fine. I'll walk Finara back."

"No, no, don't trouble yourself over this old bag of bones. Nothing here could harm me even if it wanted to. I've been to Closer Worlds than this one, believe me."

"I don't doubt you Finara but it's a matter of principle to see you home."

"Fine, fine, suit yourself. Let's go."

"At once."

Brom made to leave, shooting a glance at his wife and a relieved look at his child that was suckling happily.

Ushering Healer Finara out of the door, Brom closed it behind him and began to walk with her, arm in arm back to her home in the village.

Brom had thought this day had turned into a nightmare, only to return and find everything is fine. The necrosis was a mild concern and so on the way back he spoke.

"Esteemed Healer, of the necrosis, is it truly no issue? Might you have something to ease my mind?"

The old haggard woman chuckled, her green and white robes bouncing up and down near her ankles.

"Ha, Ha, heehee. You are a funny one Brom, always have been. Would you like some Smokeroot to take your mind off of it?"

"I didn't mean that Esteemed Healer, I meant for my daughter."

"I know what you meant Brom, you're still as serious as ever. As far as what can be done for the child, you might purchase a healing potion but we both know this is beyond your means. She will be fine with some time. She was eating well when we were there, however if that changes, find me. She may excrete some blood in the next few days but other than that her recovery from this 'temporary death' should be complete."

"Thank you Esteemed Healer. Were it not for Wyla's punishments I would take up your Smokeroot offer but she has banned such things from our home since she found she was with child."

Brom looked somewhat annoyed at this.

"Heheee, you fool, she was right to do so. Smoke around babies is deadly, they can cease breathing, moreso with Smokeroot it carries chemicals in it that don't affect adults but children can experience deadly side effects."

Brom paled and went silent. His mind was reeling.

"I know Brom."

Brom's face said it all and his mouth gaped as tears came to his eyes.

"I.. I didn't mean.."

The old woman sighed interrupting the floundering man.

"Haaaa. No one ever means for anything like this Brom, it's ignorance. I should hope you've learned your lesson, you almost lost the Light you were given."

Brom's tears flowed and he slowed his pace, forcing the old woman to let go of his arm.

Brom came to a stop looking at the dirt road and Finara stopped walking six feet ahead of him, she turned to look back at him.

"Brom. You will make this right in time. For now just do your best. I won't tell Wyla and neither will you."

Brom looked up at the old woman who took him in when he was younger.

"I feel such guilt, how can I make this right?"

Finara stood and tilted her head to look at the stars and twin moons, it would soon be time for them to block the sun and bring about the Nightfrost.

"By being a man Brom. Own your mistakes and do right by your family. Make it so they don't go hungry."

Taking these words to heart, Brom wiped his eyes.

"I swear Finara, I will do my best."

The old healer smiled.

"Good, now head on back. Your family is waiting."

"But I have to take you home first."

Brom glanced past the woman and saw her house at the edge of the village, they were almost there.

"I can walk from here young Brom. Go. And don't forget to stop by once in a while. Bring the Light with you. I like children after all."

"Of course, thank you Esteemed Healer. I'll be by soon."

Brom bowed at his waist before turning at running home.

Finara watched him go.

"Hmmmm." 

She turned and went to her small home, ready to turn in for the night.

 


 

 

"You're a good child, mother won't let anything happen to you again, so grow up big and beautiful for us okay? Maybe we can find you an esteemed Husband one day."

Wyla sat cooing her child as she smiled.

Brom returned through the wooden door and came to sit by the firepit in the center of the room.

"Is our daughter fine?"

"She is as healthy as before but I'm unwilling to lay her down for fear she might be taken from me."

Brom tried to smile but couldn't.

"Then shall we bring her to our bed?"

"Let's."

The couple went to bed and formed a wall of pillows around their baby daughter in the center of the bed and they held each other until sleep took them.


 

I was the first to awaken on this new day, my first and hopefully one of many. If it even was day. I still couldn't see.

I tried to open my eyes but all that happened was the feeling of my eyebrows raising and my lips puckering from the effort. This wasn't working as I expected.

I cheated.

I used telekinesis to lift my eyelids. I shouted in pain from the light hitting my eyes for the first time and with that lost my focus, closing my eyes again.

And of course when I say shouted, I mean I cried. For a good ten minutes. I seem to be emotionally unstable.

I had woken my parents and they were now fussing over me. I could hear them talking. I assume the deeper one is my father, though I have no idea what they're saying, it sounds fluid with guttural stops here and there.

The man stayed with me while the woman went to do something. I could feel the man put his finger in my hand and I felt my tiny hand squeeze against my will. I do hope this doesn't continue.

The woman was humming a tune from the sound of it and I could also hear something crackling. Then the smell hit me and By the Void it smelled good. Without thinking I asked for some.

"Waaaagh!"

Of course, I still can't speak.

The woman, my mother, came over and I was treated to another meal whilst the man left and from the sounds of it began to place the food on plates.

Breast Milk doesn't taste half bad, creamy and fulfilling though it does have a strange twangy note towards the end. Perhaps I should use telepathy to tell mother to change her diet.

No, I can't do that. I cannot do that. If they knew I might be burned for being a Witch. What's a Witch?

Hm, evil magic users often killed for demonic magic, is it? I definitely don't want that.

Best keep it under wraps where possible, until I can feed myself or see, at the very least.

After eating, I once again felt myself falling asleep. It seems this is a fact of life now.


 

"Dear, are you going today?"

Brom looked up, his hand frozen in mid air as his fork was laden with bits of fried meat. He lowered his fork to the plate.

"You know I have to, the Nightfrost is coming and I need to make more than usual this year with our child."

Wyla sighed and frowned.

"But it's precisely because the Nightfrost is near that I don't want you to go. It's too dangerous. What if you don't return? What do we do then?"

Brom continued eating slowly as he thought over his options.

"I know. There was something I was keeping. An heirloom from my grandfather."

Wyla looked at Brom with a slightly shocked face.

"Don't look at me like that Wyla, I kept it from you but I had a good reason to. Do you remember what happened to Thoum? It's not that I thought you'd do the same thing but ever since the men in the village have always kept some of their wealth hidden away for truly harsh times."

Wyla looked at her Husband Brom, she held a saddened and disappointed look.

"What happened to Thoum was cruel and that Bitch was exiled; it's not a common thing. Why would the men react this way?"

"Because it scared them. Regardless now that we have a child you need to know."

Standing up from the table, his plate now empty, Brom walked to the corner of the room and began to move firewood to the side. 

"What are you doing?"

Brom continued stacking the wood in a new pile to the left.

"I put the item in a box and hid it under the floorboards here, Grandfather warned me never to move it or get it out until the day I needed to sell it but I'll show you it so you have something if I don't return."

Brom had finished moving the small pile of wood and pried up one of the boards. Beneath the board was a dirty wooden box, roughly the size of Brom's palm. He took the box back to the table and Wyla watched him with curious eyes.

"What is it?"

Brom said nothing and opened the box, he looked at it for a few seconds then turned the open box to face Wyla, she gasped.

"Gods alive! It's beautiful!"

Wyla reached out for the box with one hand and Brom let her have it as he watched her examine the item.

Inside the box was a purple jewel, deeper violet than the eyes of the people in the village with a single drop of black in the center. It was around the size of a Human eye and was polished and cut so cleanly, it was breathtaking.

Wyla was enamoured with the jewel and didn't notice Brom getting up and taking the box whilst his other hand closed the lid. She snapped out of it and looked at Brom in confusion.

"Now you understand why I didn't tell you."

Wyla felt guilty and a bit ashamed, it was true, the jewel was enough to make women want it with such passion they might steal it. Wyla resolved herself never to be that woman.

"Yes, you're right. Any other woman might have taken it and run away especially without a child to bind her. I understand why you kept it from me. Were I younger and not a parent the temptation would have been great."

Brom was relieved but he didn't let it show. Meanwhile Wyla wanted to see the jewel again but knew not to ask.

Brom went back to the loose board and placed the box back before stacking the wood on top of it again. He spoke as he did so.

"Now you know you'll be cared for if I don't return. At worst you can find Finara, she won't turn you away, not with a Light."

Wyla had a slight grimace.

"She's never liked me you know. She thinks I stole you from someone more suited."

Brom chuckled. He knew. He was one of the more handsome men in the village and could've married into a better family than Wyla's.

"Yes, perhaps I could have married another and become something else but I fell in love with you. You didn't steal my love, I gave it."

Wyla smiled and said victoriously.

"That's right, and you'd better remember that."

Brom turned to smile at his wife and child before grabbing a thick fur coat from the nails on the wall.

"I'm leaving then, I'll make sure we have enough."

Wyla watched him open the door and leave.

"Stubborn man."

Her eyes glanced to the firewood stack and her thoughts turned to the jewel, she caught herself and looked away.

"Hmph. It's just a jewel."

Wyla went about her usual day after having put her baby back on the bed. She cleaned what needed to be cleaned and when she was done she returned to the bed where she swaddled her baby in thick cloth and wore it on her torso to carry the baby.

Wyla left the house after putting on a fur coat, she had to check and feed the animals but didn't want to leave her child alone after the scare last night.

Walking to the barn next to their farmhouse, she went inside and threw some grain for the chickens. Brom had already prepared the cattle feed the day before and all she had to do was move it close for them to eat.

It was unusual typically for farmers to own such large livestock but Brom's grandfather was a village elder before his death and with Finara's backing and negotiation with the village elders, it was agreed that he could raise the cattle himself rather than contributing it as a village good. The village of Waterwood was a clan territory.

The Tet'mai were the ruling clan of this particular territory. Wyla and Brom were both Tet'mai as evidenced by their violet eyes and sun kissed golden hair but neither of them were high ranking in the clan being amongst the peasant class.

Wyla had finished feeding the animals and returned to the house, afraid the cold might affect her baby.

Back inside she placed the child on the bed and yawned, she decided to take the baby's lead and also indulge in a nap, it took her some time to sleep as she was worried for Brom.


 

Brom left the house and began to trudge his way into the village. He had to go through the village to cross the river and reach the forest where the other Hunters were gathering.

When he arrived some ten men were already there and one of them, a man slightly shorter than Brom came over and handed him one of the better looking bows from the communal stock.

"Here, saved this one for ya now that ya've got a kid to feed n all."

The man sniffed and looked away. Brom smiled and took the bow, patting the man on the back.

"Ah, it's good to have friends who care. What would I do without you, eh Darmun?"

Darmun huffed.

"Yeah well. Just pay me back for i' if ya get somethin' good this time."

Brom laughed.

"Haha, pay you back? Not a chance. I've got a family to feed now, I'm not a bachelor like you. Speaking of, when are you going to settle? You're already in your twenty-second year."

Darmun huffed again this time his face held a tinge of annoyance.

"Settle, settle, settle, that's all anyone talks ta me about these days. Why's it so important I marry and start 'avin' kids like everyone else?"

Brom smirked and gave his piece.

"Because the Tet'mai are a people with the blood of Gods and our numbers dwindle by the year. It's our duty to do so."

Darmun looked exasperatedly at Brom.

"Ya don't really believe that do ya?"

He asked in disbelief.

Brom chuckled.

"Nope, not really. But I'll tell you there's nothing like having a wife who cooks for you, among other things. Also when you see your child come into the world for the first time, you'll understand why everyone tells you to do it."

Darmun looked at the ground for a bit as their conversation died. The sounds of others around them having conversations fought against the noise of the nearby river.

The Elder Hunter arrived wearing his own hunting gear, well taken care of and strapped all over his leather armoured body.

"Right, usual crowd then, where's Fermon?"

The hunters looked around, apparently no one knew.

"Guess he's not coming today then, right. Ready up you lot, we're going after some Bristle Boar today."

The group's faces all shared a common disdain.

"Haha, yeah I knew you lot'd hate that, relax we're not really going for Bristle Boar, Russ led the hunt and found Thorn Deer tracks two hours in. That's our quarry. As usual we'll check the traps along the way. The Elders told me to lay double traps until the Nightfrost to ensure everyone has enough to tide it over."

The group let out a minor cheer mixed with sighs of relief. 

The Elder Hunter turned and strode into the forest, followed by the other hunters, by now everyone knew what to do and split off in groups of two to check the traps whilst keeping a vague formation using the trees and symbols for navigation. 

Just another day in the village of Waterwood, one of the Tet'mai clan villages.


 

In the endless darkness of the void I watched.

Light. Here? How unusual. How rare. How beautiful.

I watched as the light moved, barely fighting back the darkness that attempted to devour it as it always does.

The light fought as it moved, shuddering and almost winking out along it's way. It was moving with purpose, a straight line.

Then it flashed and I saw it briefly.

The shape of a man but not. Reaching for the light before it flashed and the light disappeared.

I moved, attempting to navigate blind towards the form.

After some time I gave up, not knowing which way I was moving.

Light. Interesting. This was the first time I had seen the form of one of the Things in the Dark. 

Are they all like that? Am I like that? I do not know.

Back in this darkness I contemplate and replay the image of the light. So vivid and bright. I wish to see it again.

After some time I forgot yet more things, but not the light, never the light. It was too beautiful, a beacon.

Has time passed? Is it passing? I do not know.

This void I dwell within, the Things in the Dark that brush against me from time to time.

I try to reach for them but they always elude my grasp.

So here I am. In the dark void without limits. I. Am. Here.


Wanted an OP MC with mind control and stuff. I intend to time skip most of the baby years. I'll probably spend most of the time with the MC being 5-10 years old, because the idea of a little girl walking around using powers on people in the village is amusing. Enjoy.

 

10