041 : The Diminishing Zusha Shi (Part 3)
3.4k 3 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"The Jade Lin from the Lin Courtyard requested for an open audience with her majesty. The Jade Lin wishes to discuss something!"

The sudden intrusion of the little servant amused their interest. It could be said that not even someone without a title would dare to openly request something from the royalty, especially this one that is many levels lower than the normal citizen. But since the Empress Dowager let him speak then they could just listen.

"This servant announces my master's wishes. The Jade Lin from the Lin Courtyard requested for an open audience with her majesty. The Jade Lin wishes to discuss something important!" Lu Mao announced for the second time.

The hall remained silent as they slowly digested his words. The lower ministers that were responsible for this kind of network came back to Earth and stood up. Their representative took a step forward and replied with a loud voice filled with authority.

"This servant, if your master wishes to talk with Her Highness, your master must first submit an application or a notice so we can prepare for the occasion. It is already a given that our highness allowed you to speak. Suddenly barging without any of the following will incur an imposing image and disrespect to the Lady Dowager!"

His words are true and logical. Even the officials of the court will follow the procedure. Everyone agreed with the lower minister. Even though the reason why they are having this meeting is because of Lin Mian Mian, addressing his request for an audience would be a different thing. They could not let that pass.

If they will tolerate this disrespectful demand, then other people will also take advantage of it. They can be branded to be 'biased' to this person because of this and that. Even if he is favored by the emperor, the law is still the law. Everyone should respect it.

Unless if a 'new law' will be made then he will be treated as a normal citizen.

Lu Mao knows that they are the ones that are forcing their authority but his determination to execute his part of the plan made him stay. As a person who went through a second life cycle, Lu Mao is no longer scared of such authority. Instead, it gave him the option of pushing forward.

With a rather pitiful voice that could be described as close to crying, Lu Mao then again tried to persuade them. He stood up and ran towards the throne. The guards immediately block the child from passing. He looks up to the officers in a pleading appearance.

"This servant... this servant knows the consequence of violating the rule. If there is a punishment then let this servant have it. I will exchange my life. However, right now, this servant wanted to pursue their master's wishes. My master wanted to speak with the Empress Dowager. Please let him!"

"You are just a servant. What kind of prestige do you have to let us allow your plea?" The officer stated.

"This servant begs you, please allow my master..." The voice of the child started to stifle. Since he can move the officers then he focused on looking to the Empress Dowager.

"I beg you, please Lady Dowager. This servant knows that our Mother Dowager could understand. My master... my master might say that he is okay but in reality..."

Lu Mao is crying and all of his tears are true.

The Lin Mian Mian that he is seeing is that one in the past. It was that time when Lin Mian Mian has been left behind by the world. He can see it clearly, the beautiful appearance of Lin Mian Mian and his ephemeral existence. He wasn't frowning but one can see the loneliness from his eyes.

It was almost as if he is wishing that he is dead...

He didn't want that to happen again. Nobody wanted to witness such a tragedy. Lu Mao gave all of his energy to begging while crying non-stop. The image of the little child looks like he was bullied. The officer who was reprimanding him also felt bad.

But what should he do? He is just rejecting him since the servant is on the wrong side. The officer did not want to implicate any disobedience.

"Well..." The officer cleared his throat. "If you hand in a request letter then we might reconsider-"

"Let them in," The Empress Dowager stated.

Everyone shifted their sight to the queen. The Lady did not move from their stares as she stood straight. She stated, "Since we are discussing the thirteenth wife then let him join the discussion. This will serve as a trial for him."

The queen has already said it so nobody complained. The hall that had a long table of papers for the discussion was removed. Since this is a public trial then the people who heard about the news quickly went to the hall to see the event. The concubines also rushed over after hearing the information from their servants.

It only took a few minutes for the hall to be crowded.

There was not enough preparation done so the arrangement of the audience was hasty. But since public trials were often done then the people already where they should be staying.

The important ministers from the lower level up to the top-level position sat in a stairway-like position with the least title occupying the lower platform.

The next in command would be the officers that work in different ministries. They were placed under the lower platform which is on the ground floor in a half-sphere formation. They do not speak during trials unless called, but they were included when there are elections or something.

The concubines and their servants do not usually attend the court trials if not required so they do not have any defined position. But it is already expected that these women will take the free spaces on the sides like the VIP audience in a concert. They do not need to speak and vote unless given a chance.

Overall, the hall is very lively.

Lu Mao quickly left after he received permission to get Lin Mian Mian. Yin Mei Mei chance upon the little servant hurrying away. She can tell from his fleeting expression that something bad will going to happen. Yin Mei Mei smiled, entering the hall in a good mood. Though, she kept a poker face as though showing that she is worried or somewhat lost with the information she received.

The concubines were guided to their places. Yin Mei Mei is given a good position where she could see the center of the hall very clearly. She looked up to search for the position of her father that is beside the empress dowager. Minister Yin, who saw his daughter entering, also looked down. The two sinister people nodded to each other in a tacit understanding.

Fu Xiao San arrived just on time to see this. From her start, her frowning face matched that of the Empress Dowager. It can be seen that she did not like what is happening. She kept the interaction of Yin Mei Mei and her father to her heart and settled on her position. Yin Mei Mei noticed Fu Xiao San on her side and smiled at her.

What is that smile for?

"This trial... is it true that Sister Lin became colorless?" Yin Mei Mei asked.

Fu Xiao San has no intention to chat with her. This reaction did not make Yin Mei Mei disappointed, or at least she already expected this cold treatment. Still, it did not affect her good mood, and even added some remarks.

"I hope Sister Lin is fine. This kind of incident is inevitable to happen."

These words are profound to the ears of the many saying that 'this event could happen. After all, Lin Mian Mian has no back-up. He is an orphan now. He has no family to fight for him. But Fu Xiao San did not think so. She thought that Lin Mian Mian could only be the person next to Emperor like how his father general stood beside His Highness.

Lin Mian Mian still carried the fate of the whole empire. He might not be the general today but the heart of the soldier belongs to him. Fu Xiao San, being one of the reborn people, knows the deal why General Lin made Lin Mian Mian marry in the Royal Family. It wasn't a simple thing that people thought it is.

This truth made the retribution of the past. Fu Xiao San had seen the events until the end.

"Indeed, it is," Fu Xiao San agreed in a solemn voice. "Whoever made it will surely be punished by the heavens. That is also inevitable to happen."

"What do you mean, Miss Fu?" Yin Mei Mei asked.

"Nothing important. It's just that when I was serving the Northern Temples, I heard the priests talk about Karma. Are you familiar with it?" Fu Xiao San chuckled lightly. "I am sure Miss Yin is already familiar with it. After all, isn't your hometown in the North?"

Yin Mei Mei just grinned and then nodded. After that, the two did not talk to each other again. Fu Xiao San might be vague in her words but the implications were clear. Karma is very important in this world. It might not be as complex as the laws made by the gods and humans but this is something that can cause empires to rise or fall.

Lin Mian Mian's karma must have caused this to happen. He had become miserable in his past life. So his Karma had given him a new life.

About that, Fu Xiao San is not sure but she hoped that in this lifetime Lin Mian Mian is not going to suffer. After all, for the person whom she loved, this is the only thing that she could do.

Though the Lin Courtyard is far from the court, Lin Mian Mian had already anticipated this event so it did not take them a long time to arrive. He did not take any carriage and just walked on the way. The moment his appearance was seen, the people outside announced his presence. Everyone stopped whatever they are doing and waited for the person to come up.

Lin Mian Mian did not bring any grand retinue and his entree is as simple it is, but it still made people gasp. His presence is already breathtaking enough. The usual appearance of Lin Mian Mian is that of a smiling youth that carried innocence around. With his palette-colored clothing, people can easily associate happiness with him.

Yet, today, Lin Mian Mian wore the darkest robe they have ever seen. The color is even much highlighted in contrast to his pale skin. Added by his slightly weak movements but still have that dignified straight back, Lin Mian Mian rather looked like a raven ready to go to a war than a sick hen. It made people think that all the rumors about his cinnabar losing color are false.

However, they weren't able to clarify this since Lin Mian Mian wore a veil.

The empress had not seen Lin Mian Mian since the last time. The Lin Mian Mian he had seen now is different from what he saw that day. Lin Mian Mian has this kind of gloomy atmosphere around him now. She could not help but want to walk down from her throne, pull the youth to the corner, and ask him what is wrong. But since she is still on the throne, the empress dowager could only stay and watch.

The people are gossiping and talking with whispered voices but it subsided when Lin Mian Mian settled at the very center. The hall that is full of people suddenly becomes silent as though there are no people inside. Though, the heavy atmosphere reminded the people about it. As the focus of the attention, Lin Mian Mian carried the greatest intensity of it.

Lin Mian Mian methodically made the kneeling gesture then lowered his head for respect. His servants also followed suit. Though, they were a bit farther to the side since the highlight for today's activity is Lin Mian Mian.

Nobody can see the reaction of the ger. The Empress Dowager gathered her thoughts for a while and observed the ger. Minister Yin, as the representative, saw the cue and stood up. With a loud voice, the Yin Minister asked.

"The thirteenth wife, the honorable Jade Lin of the Lin Courtyard. This Lady requested an audience. What is it that you wanted to discuss?"

There is no reply at first. The ger just stood there as if he never heard the question. The minister is about to repeat the question when suddenly Lin Mian Mian made a loud banging kowtow! The sound of the head hitting the ground might not be very audible but in this kind of silence, it was amplified! That sound of something heavy surprised everyone.

The empress dowager's eyes widened. She almost stood up. Actually, some of the officers are already standing. That bang is small but can still hurt people. Some physicians even wanted to go forward and see his head. But with his head lowered to the ground and the veil covering, nobody can see if he is all right.

Suddenly the voice that they never heard for a long time replied in an equal audible voice.

"This concubine wishes to be exiled!"

32