044 : Dreams and Visions (PART 02)
3.9k 0 39
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There is a marble wall, about twenty meters high, enclosing the Yan Empire. These walls were constructed way back ten generations of the emperor ago meant to defend the people dwelling inside. It did serve its purpose and kept the enemies outside letting the common people live to their heart's content.

However, whenever peace became evident for a long time, chaos will tend to show up. It is quite apparent in the universe where everything will end in disorder.

There is a new movement of foreign entities from the southern perimeters that placed the nearby village in disarray. These foreign people were spotted lurking around the area for a few days at first appearing to just peering over the fence. Though, there is no trouble as these people would eventually be gone after playing around.

The unit assigned around the area is also careful. They were attentive, watching whenever some people tried to come over while casting warnings to some that are courageous enough to come to knock the wall over.

Of course, they don't harass people and immediately abuse them.

They would ask about their purpose of approaching the border walls then the things they brought, where they will be going, and such stuff. Some travelers and merchants use this entrance as well so it is normal to have people enter and exit the place.

If the person is new, they would ask for an identity certification. It is already a known fact between countries that identity certifications should be given to people.

This is for the security of the person carrying the identity as well as the nation it is visiting. Some countries do not permit some people to access their borders while some are given privileges.

They discovered out that the people sneaking around are from an adjacent country. It is regarded as 'very close' since it is indeed just beside the Yan Empire. It is just that a border of tall ridges made a distinct division making both nations close but have no communication.

Only a few people attempted to climb in such dangerous mountains while it takes a few weeks to three months of travel if one decided to travel around the mountains.

The sightings were taken into account but this is quite a common occurrence. The south borders are close to barbaric villages so it is reasonable to have people trying to breach in. The unit is always wary and would not dare to slack off just because the empire is currently at peace.

It is known that the reason why everyone is having a good and peaceful life is due to these people.

However, despite the preparation and the strength of these warriors, time will always come where they will face their demise.

There are three attacks in total.

The first attack happened during the night when streams of palm-sized cannon balls suddenly blared out in the air accompanied by the powerful banging spout of gunpowder. Luckily, the walls are made to withstand these attacks. The curve the cannons were discharged is also not high enough to go over the walls.

It was a fail attempt.

Though some parts of the wall need repairs, there are no casualties. The people who caused such mayhem were captured while the others escaped. The prisoners are carried into jail. Since the borders are pretty much a distance away from the Palace, the execution of punishments has been assigned to an official.

When the previous emperor is alive, it was Yan JinLong who does the work.

Any attempt of attack should be counted as an offense of the perpetrator's country but since these people often encounter attacks from numerous tribes then they did not take punishments seriously. At the least, they would keep the prisoners for three days without food after being flogged many times, then they will record the person's name to their blacklist before releasing them.

They thought that the people who attacked them were just ordinary mercenaries. The gunpowder used in making cannons are in no way cheap plus the mechanism it needed can never be made or done by the barbaric tribes so they can only hold onto this discussion.

The second attack proved it wrong.

It also occurred during the night when another set of cannonballs soared up in the sky announcing its arrival through a tumultuous roar.

Such arc could never get a pass over the walls, if only it was projected many meters away. The reason why it didn't reach over the wall last time is due to the lacking power inefficient to cover the wide distance.

Nobody knows who started the first attack but the first cannonball directly destroyed a pub house where many people died instantly. Before people could think and understand what is happening, six then ten cannonballs were released spontaneously randomly smashing roofs and destroying houses.

The soldiers are confused. The attacks are coming from within. Just by tracking the source of the cannonballs, one could see that the attack is coming from the inside.

The gates are sealed and nobody could enter from the outside since there are no secret passages and whatnot. Unless the people climb through the wall... but the people guarding the area should've noticed it and dealt with them.

So, what is happening?

It could be said that if you can't enter through the heavens or the proper entrance, then you should try digging some pit. It seems that the first attack is not meant for destroying the walls but to create an opportunity to 'miss the target and hit it to the ground where the soil is gradually being softened.

It was quite a smart move.

Nobody anticipated that in a nook away from the eyes of the guards, a tunnel is being excavated. The foreign people unobstructedly used this tunnel to transport their weapons inside then placed them in blind areas where nobody will suspect it. Once the time of attack comes, they would release these weapons like warships in remote controls. In that way, with a short distance, the whole entity will be eliminated.

A lot of people died that day.

General Lin even described it as, 'breaching the barrier made by the gods'.

The border was seized for a day before the troops sent by the General oppressed the enemy. However, it is already too late.

Many people had died.

This has been the largest massacre after many years of peace. Further inquiries are made and they discovered out that this is a premeditated attack coming from the neighboring country.

The prosperity of the Yan Empire is something that any country will envy. It seems that someone is trying to conquer the whole country to steal the blessings the gods have given to them. But for that to happen, they have to 'eliminate' the occupants.

Eliminate them so they don't have to share it once they occupied the lands.

Will Yan JinLong allow that? Of course, no!

However, they cannot just simply go out and fight these foreign people. If it were just the barbarians causing problems, Yan JinLong will not have any problem removing them since aside from their brute strength they do not have the capability to think critically.

You only have to show them that you are stronger and they will back away.

But if it is a country or a nation, things will become different. No leader will lead an attack without any plans. Just think of how the enemy was able to deal with entering the base through deception. Even Minister Chang thought that such a plan is indeed feasible if done carefully.

Yan JinLong sent out more people to understand the situation. He wanted to know what made them realize their intentions.

The neighboring country, though something that he only knows through books, is ruled by quite a smart ruler. Their geographic location has a good advantage. Just imagine the mountains surrounding the nation served as a natural protection system from both enemies and extreme weather conditions.

So what made them do the first move?

Two countries are living in harmony inside the mountain borders. It seems that the two countries have experienced famine for the past five years.

This is caused by a strong earthquake that brought the large boulders from the mountains to obstruct the largest flowing river shared by the two nations. And since they are closed off, they could not find any reservoir of water.

Well, they did but they have to cross over the mountain ranges that will surely consume their resources making this plan inefficient.

They tried many solutions to solve the problem. They tried clearing the area by removing the boulders. But these rocks were too large to be removed by lifting. It is also quite anchored in place making it difficult to push.

They also tried digging around intending to create a channel for water to flow. They made a few deep canals recovering some stream of water but only lasted for a few days before the area collapsed killing several people. It seems that the area was weakened by the earthquake. A large sinkhole was also formed catching the entire flowing stream down to nothingness.

It is impossible to recover water without facing the danger of falling.

Luckily, someone successfully made a cable that could at least alter some currents of water that will be collected in a well. However, this is not enough for the two countries to feed their people. There is also a problem with the crops that needed water for grains to grow.

The two countries weren't prosperous but they could at least live an average living due to the cooperation between the leaders. Poverty brought them to avoid falling to schemes and just focused on surviving. However, it seems that their smart brains are not enough to sustain their lives this time.

They decided to get resources from small villages. Even though someone suggested taking diplomatic measures to solve the problem, the leaders thought that they don't have enough time for lip service and just push the plan of taking over places to earn resources.

This is what they did for five years. And they're quite good at it, successfully conquering a small country on the other side of the mountain range. It relieved their resources and could just stop there. But it seems that they were muddled through by the consecutive wins making them think they're powerful.

It made their head big.

They wanted to level up. And so, they targeted the rich empire of the Yans. The resources that will get from this nation will surely provide them with many resources that they could just sit and eat for many years without doing any work.

To be able to receive these achievements with their small inventory means that they are not someone you could trifle with. Yan JinLong took this threat highly that he appeared to the battlefront to lead his troops.

The third attack happened.

The war between the three countries started.

Yan JinLong especially overtook the attack together with General Lin who is assigned to protect the emperor first before the country. It lasted for a year before a winner was determined.

Of course, Yan JinLong returned with the trophy of victory but also brought the corpse of the respected General Lin.

It is through this event that brought him to meet the only kin of the General.

It is this time when his dream met reality.

It would be very unreasonable to say that he did not know about General Lin's only son, Lin Mian Mian. He even met the guy once. General Lin likes to talk about his son during trivial times and would even brag about his beauty and charm.

He is an all-out father who would adore Lin Mian Mian no matter what.

Like how General Lin described his son, Lin Mian Mian is indeed the delicate and exquisite beauty when he met him on their wedding day. From the minute he went down from the sedan chair to the bowing before the ancestors, and to the final step in the bed chambers...

Lin Mian Mian showcased his 'perfect bride' obligations.

He did not complain while his words are benign and restrained. He did not even bat an eye and just followed the custom as though he didn't care. Even during the consummation... he did not let out a sound.

It is as if the person is just a vessel and that nobody is inside to show any passion.

This is the reason why Yan JinLong wondered, 'is this really the person I met in my dreams?'

The youth under that tree is very invigorating. Even from afar, he could tell the amiable nature of the person. If only he wasn't restricted by the dream, he would have advanced and met that person. He would introduce himself and will openly declare his intention.

Why is it that when he met him, the person seems to be different?

No, it is him. The physical body is him. But...

Something is missing.

Somehow, the consummation only happened once. There are excitement and eagerness but the urge suddenly ceases after doing it once. Anyways, Lin Mian Mian has a weak body. It would not be good to exercise longer or his body will break down.

But he did not leave the chambers and slept with Lin Mian Mian.

On that night, he dreamed of the Wisteria tree again. However, this time, the youth is no longer there. Yan JinLong thought that since he met the person he won't be appearing in his dream again. He coursed over to the familiar yet unfamiliar path towards the tree.

Like the usual, the parasitic plant made its glory over whatever 'real tree' is within, showing a color that is different from the common green. The leaves hanging unto the eaves showed a plentiful of violets and purples swaying along with the little wind. The vivid colors made him feel dizzy. He wondered if Lin Mian Mian also felt the same.

After all, the wisteria is somewhat poisonous.

But it wasn't to the point of dying under it.

Sudden footsteps made Yan JinLong alert. He quickly glanced around but was abruptly surprised to find that someone is already standing beside him. He only heard the footsteps after the new person stepped onto the dried leaves of the tree. If not from it, Yan JinLong has no way of knowing its presence.

One more thing, this person looks a lot like him! 

39